Options

Dear Pearl Jam, let's re-think this whole GA thing..

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,693
    I wonder how the debate would go if people did not go to numerous shows a year. Those going to numerous shows probably need the GA more to keep the "high" going. It is a little tougher I'm sure sitting in the nosebleeds or 20 rows up on the side for your 5th show in a row, while being 5 people back in GA sure makes it a lot more fun even for that 5th show in 8 days.

So...if everyone went to one show, we'd probably all be fine and have a great time no matter where our seats were, GA or not. Unless the music is no longer enough. That is a whole other set of questions.
    Nah, I am for GA all the way, and I only went to one show this tour. I am for GA at ALL rock concerts, not just Pearl Jam. It is simply WAY MORE FUN. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Agreed, it's GA, but assuming you want to fix the line problem and still provide seniority benefits in GA, not sure there are many options available.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    morrmike wrote:
    I enjoyed my time waiting around for GA, but I definitely understand the frustrations around the process. This may have already been offered up, but here is my spur of the moment "fix" to the GA line issue. I'm sure there are many holes to be poked in it! Poke away!

Current GA/Reserved lottery system stays the same
    Choose GA or Reserved

If you win reserved, your seats are reserved by TC # priority

If you win GA, the following occurs, after you are informed of winning GA tickets
    • A second lottery occurs for line prioritization
    • Based on 10c #, you get x # of tickets into the line lottery (for example 50,000 and under gets 10 tickets, 100,000 and under gets 9 tickets, etc till you get to the higher #s)
    • A lottery is run for spots in the GA line
    o All lottery tickets are entered and pulled starting with spot 1, until all spots are given out
    o Everyone has the ability to be pulled for the front or back of the line
    o Emails go out to everyone informing them of their spot in line
    o Numbers are put on GA wristbands and given out with tickets at 10c ticket pickup
    o GA attendees are informed in the email of their # in the line, the 10c wristband pickup time and are told to be at the show at x time to line up based on their wristband #. Say, an hour before to give everyone time to line up correctly.
    o 10c or venue personnel are on hand to help coordinate the line up in a smooth fashion
    o After doors open (specific time), the numbering process no longer applies and you enter based on when you got in line

Benefits:
    o Seniority still applies, but everyone still has a shot at being close in GA, based on lottery spot in line
    o PJ won’t see the same folks on the rail at every show
    o GA members don’t need to worry about lining up at 5am, as the numbering system defeats the need to line up early to hold a spot
    o GA attendees can still choose to show up later, but are given the option to take advantage of a priority line #, if they received one

Mike
    Down with making seniority something that matters in GA. That's is ridiculous. It's called General Admission for a reason.
  • Options
    Do NOT want to apply seniority benefits in GA. That's crazy talk. The list is also idiotic. The goal should be to have different people at the rail at every show (so that the maximum number of people benefit, not the minimum). Both the list AND seniority benefits would ensure that that doesn't happen.
    morrmike wrote:
    Agreed, it's GA, but assuming you want to fix the line problem and still provide seniority benefits in GA, not sure there are many options available.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    morrmike wrote:
    I enjoyed my time waiting around for GA, but I definitely understand the frustrations around the process. This may have already been offered up, but here is my spur of the moment "fix" to the GA line issue. I'm sure there are many holes to be poked in it! Poke away!

Choose GA or Reserved

If you win GA, the following occurs, after you are informed of winning GA tickets
    • Based on 10c #, you get x # of tickets into the line lottery (for example 50,000 and under gets 10 tickets, 100,000 and under gets 9 tickets, etc till you get to the higher #s)
    o All lottery tickets are entered and pulled starting with spot 1, until all spots are given out
    o Numbers are put on GA wristbands and given out with tickets at 10c ticket pickup
    o GA attendees are informed in the email of their # in the line, the 10c wristband pickup time and are told to be at the show at x time to line up based on their wristband #. Say, an hour before to give everyone time to line up correctly.
    o 10c or venue personnel are on hand to help coordinate the line up in a smooth fashion
    o After doors open (specific time), the numbering process no longer applies and you enter based on when you got in line

Benefits:
    o Seniority still applies, but everyone still has a shot at being close in GA, based on lottery spot in line
    o GA members don’t need to worry about lining up at 5am, as the numbering system defeats the need to line up early to hold a spot
    o GA attendees can still choose to show up later, but are given the option to take advantage of a priority line #, if they received one

Mike
    Down with making seniority something that matters in GA. That's is ridiculous. It's called General Admission for a reason.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    The list already happens and in the shows I went to , most of the same people were on the rail each night (and from the photos I saw, they were on the rail for multiple shows after that).

So that said, both are already happening. Maybe a list without the seniority benefits then? Max people benefit and you don't have the line issues.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Do NOT want to apply seniority benefits in GA. That's crazy talk. The list is also idiotic. The goal should be to have different people at the rail at every show (so that the maximum number of people benefit, not the minimum). Both the list AND seniority benefits would ensure that that doesn't happen.
    morrmike wrote:
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    morrmike wrote:
    The list already happens and in the shows I went to , most of the same people were on the rail each night (and from the photos I saw, they were on the rail for multiple shows after that).

So that said, both are already happening. Maybe a list without the seniority benefits then? Max people benefit and you don't have the line issues.

so when would the starting of this list happen?
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    its_okits_ok Posts: 200
    I wonder how the debate would go if people did not go to numerous shows a year. Those going to numerous shows probably need the GA more to keep the "high" going. It is a little tougher I'm sure sitting in the nosebleeds or 20 rows up on the side for your 5th show in a row, while being 5 people back in GA sure makes it a lot more fun even for that 5th show in 8 days.

So...if everyone went to one show, we'd probably all be fine and have a great time no matter where our seats were, GA or not. Unless the music is no longer enough. That is a whole other set of questions.

No, the music is not enough, and never was. If it was then I dont think you, me, or anyone else would pay 250$ for a pair of LIVE tickets when we can listen for free in our stereo at home.

You go to live shows for the the music obviously, but also seeing the band, feeling the energy of the crowd, singing along, hooking up with friends and so on.
    PJ
    2000 Roskilde, 2006 Barcelona, 2007 London, Copenhagen, 2008 New York 1, New York 2, 2009 Berlin, 2010 Dublin, Belfast, 2012 Amsterdam 1, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, 2013 Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014 Milan, Trieste, Berlin, Stockholm, Milton Keynes

EV
    2012 Manchester, London 1, London 2
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    morrmike wrote:

Choose GA or Reserved

Benefits:

Mike
    Way to complicated.
    How 'bout this:
    a. We understand we are adults
    b. We understand we are not children
    c. We treat people with respect
    d. We realise that we cannot have everything in life we want
    Simple. You show up at the venue and go to the end of the line... like an adult that respects others and understands that life doesn't give you everything you want.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    I guess you would take my idea, and remove the seniority component from it.

10c runs a line # lottery and every one has an equal shot at getting a line #, good or bad.
    shortstack wrote:
    morrmike wrote:

• Options
    But there's way too many people here that can't wrap their minds around it. Hell... Just walk down into GA during the show. It's way easier than standing on line all day.

And to get rid of GA would be idiotic. Having the floor all seats just isn't a rock concert. The only people who would want GA gone are those who get the first 5 rows every show.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    I agree, I did the same thing in GA and had a blast. As you can see, a lot of folks can't follow a, b, c or d.

The PJ reserved/GA ticket lottery change this past tour was certainly complicated at first as well.
    Cosmo wrote:
    Way to complicated.
    How 'bout this:
    a. We understand we are adults
    b. We understand we are not children
    c. We treat people with respect
    d. We realise that we cannot have everything in life we want
    Simple. You show up at the venue and go to the end of the line... like an adult that respects others and understands that life doesn't give you everything you want.
  • Options
    I wouldn't trade my PJ GA experiences for anything. I was one who stood in line for hours and it was worth every single second. I met amazing people in Worcester - including someone I have become great friends with. I didn't encounter one single "asshole." I felt like a teenager again!! Hartford was a cluster because of the head of security, but that's the roll of the dice.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    But there's way too many people here that can't wrap their minds around it. Hell... Just walk down into GA during the show. It's way easier than standing on line all day.

And to get rid of GA would be idiotic. Having the floor all seats just isn't a rock concert. The only people who would want GA gone are those who get the first 5 rows every show.

Not if your 5'. I have no problems but I've been with and seen people pretty much only hear the concert and get pushed around by Neanderthals.

Two best pj shows I've seen where at MSG. All seats and trust me it was a rock concert.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen wrote:

Not if your 5'. I have no problems but I've been with and seen people pretty much only hear the concert and get pushed around by Neanderthals.

Two best pj shows I've seen where at MSG. All seats and trust me it was a rock concert.
    How do seats make it any easier to see on the floor?? Do you stand on your chair or something? Either way, there are taller people in front of you unless you're in the first row.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    callen wrote:

How do seats make it any easier to see on the floor?? Do you stand on your chair or something? Either way, there are taller people in front of you unless you're in the first row.
    Cause you can move a little to the left..a little to the right...swap places with your seat mate..and you aren't getting pressed from all sides by man boobs. Huge difference..and yes sometimes one can step up on brace of chair. Finally in GA you are pressed right against the 6 footer where with seats you can breath.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    callen wrote:
    Cause you can move a little to the left..a little to the right...swap places with your seat mate..and you aren't getting pressed from all sides by man boobs. Huge difference..and yes sometimes one can step up on brace of chair. Finally in GA you are pressed right against the 6 footer where with seats you can breath.
    I suppose things are different where you live.
    I go to a lot of shows where seating in General Admission and it is usually a case where people give each other room to breathe becuase we all prefer some free spaces over cramped spaces. And these are rock shows, such as Soundgarden, Queens Of The Stone Age, Foo Fighters, etc... that can get intense at times, but, it is not constant.
    There are some shows that get tight, but, it comes to be expected going in. Like, you should expect to be squeezed together and jostled around at a Green Day show. Or expect some Weezer girl to press against you in order to try to wear you down and let her pass. Or you know you will be forced to move in a Pennywise pit, whether you want to or not.
    But the Pearl Jam gigs... those shows were mild. Or, more like the norm, adequate space and periods of jumping around.
    And, yes... I understand that being 5' 0" it tough in those situations. Which is why my 5' 0" tall friends got there early and waited in line all day.
    Note: if you are standing behind the 6 footer, it probably means he got there before you did and you chose to stand behind him. Try scanning the area as you walk in and look for the sea of short girls over by Stone.
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    ....look for the sea of short girls over by Stone.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    I've just figured out something:

This isn't about GA. This is an end run for the short pants people to have seating arranged by height:

Row 1: sub 5'
    Row 2: 5'
    Row 3: 5'1"
    Row 4: 5'3"

Pure horseshit I say.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

This isn't about GA. This is an end run for the short pants people to have seating arranged by height:

Pure horseshit I say.
    :mrgreen: I like it.
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    edited December 2013
    star-trek-spock1.jpg
    Post edited by STAYSEA on
  • Options

Pure horseshit I say.

Sounds like the boarding process for Southwest Airlines. Like that is ever civilized.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    Seems like there was a traveling band of list czars who were on the rail for multiple shows. Ed even commented at one show he recognized some people up front. This is what needs to be fixed. Everyone should get a shot at the rail, not just the crazies who sleep on the sidewalk or the list czars who abuse the system. Some of us have jobs and a life and would prefer not to spend a day on the sidewalk.
  • Options
    jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    morrmike wrote:
    I guess you would take my idea, and remove the seniority component from it.

10c runs a line # lottery and every one has an equal shot at getting a line #, good or bad.
    shortstack wrote:
    morrmike wrote:

Yep, we have a winner here, lottery for GA spots, puts the list czars out of business.
  • Options
    jrnyc wrote:
    Seems like there was a traveling band of list czars who were on the rail for multiple shows. Ed even commented at one show he recognized some people up front. This is what needs to be fixed. Everyone should get a shot at the rail, not just the crazies who sleep on the sidewalk or the list czars who abuse the system. Some of us have jobs and a life and would prefer not to spend a day on the sidewalk.
    But, the fact of the matter is... that is how General Admission works. That is how General Admission has always worked. If you sacrifice some of your time... you reap the rewards. You don't expect the best spot, just becuase you know you are the best fan of the band.
    Also, i work. But, i also get vacation days. I use vacation days when the Foo Fighters are playing a General Admission show at a 200 seat bar... or when the Queens of The Stone Age have a free show at their favorite bar... or when I have a Pearl Jam General Admission ticket in hand. I can't help it if you do not get vacation days. You should try to get a job at some place that gives you vacation days.
    General Admission is nothing new... it's been around since the first show I went to in 1971. And it's worked that way just fine ever since.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    I really don't care much whether there is GA or not, but I will say I am not a terribly big proponent of the lottery so here's a question relating "GA Rail-Getting" and the ticket lottery.... It seems most agree that people on the rail or up close are more likely to "rock out" because they put the time and effort in to be there. Heck, some have gone so far as to explicitly state this. So the question.... if it is the intention of the band to create more energy, as has been stated and which makes sense (though let's not kids ourselves about the extra money either), then why is there a lottery to get in the building? Wouldn't having everyone put in the time and energy to get in to the building as opposed to just getting picked in a lottery also serve to increase the energy in the building? Quite the same concept, no?

The defense of the lottery usually comes with a statement such as "why should people have to take time off of work or spend 5 hours getting tickets".... but "time and effort" says that setting the system up that way ensures that those that worked for it are rewarded, just like getting close in GA.

Odd that this wouldn't be consistent?

Anyway, just having fun in this dead-horse beating thread. :lol:
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Cosmo wrote:
    If you sacrifice some of your time... you reap the rewards.

Exactly. This expresses my sentiments about the lottery quite concisely. I know I am hijacking for a different purpose than the author intended, but it was so nice and concise! :D
  • Options
    ckravitz wrote:
    I really don't care much whether there is GA or not, but I will say I am not a terribly big proponent of the lottery so here's a question relating "GA Rail-Getting" and the ticket lottery.... It seems most agree that people on the rail or up close are more likely to "rock out" because they put the time and effort in to be there. Heck, some have gone so far as to explicitly state this. So the question.... if it is the intention of the band to create more energy, as has been stated and which makes sense (though let's not kids ourselves about the extra money either), then why is there a lottery to get in the building? Wouldn't having everyone put in the time and energy to get in to the building as opposed to just getting picked in a lottery also serve to increase the energy in the building? Quite the same concept, no?

The defense of the lottery usually comes with a statement such as "why should people have to take time off of work or spend 5 hours getting tickets".... but "time and effort" says that setting the system up that way ensures that those that worked for it are rewarded, just like getting close in GA.

Odd that this wouldn't be consistent?

Anyway, just having fun in this dead-horse beating thread. :lol:
    The oddest thing i have found in this entire discussion is this...
    it seems like the concept of General Admission is something new. It's not. There have been general admission shows since the beginning of concerts. There is nothing new about it.
    Could a sticking point be... many Pearl Jam fans have never been to a General Admission show?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    I enjoyed GA Seattle best tickets and people around me. I had a blast..... :)
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    it seems like the concept of General Admission is something new. It's not. There have been general admission shows since the beginning of concerts. There is nothing new about it.
    Could a sticking point be... many Pearl Jam fans have never been to a General Admission show?

I've been saying this since the very first thread on "what to do to prepare for GA". It's as if all these people haven't even been to a concert.... at all! The most basic concert is GA, so where have these people been living, under a rock? Never been to a concert? Never been to a concert in a bar??? It's the basics that these people haven't a clue that drives me crazy.
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:

I've been saying this since the very first thread on "what to do to prepare for GA". It's as if all these people haven't even been to a concert.... at all! The most basic concert is GA, so where have these people been living, under a rock? Never been to a concert? Never been to a concert in a bar??? It's the basics that these people haven't a clue that drives me crazy.
    Thanx... I was thinking I was alone in this.
    People have been going to General Admission concerts for decades. There have been, literally, hundreds of thousands of General Admission concerts. The vast majority of them do not have lists and lotteries and bed checks and seniority and Marks of the Beasts and Line Nazis and Pre-Party line crashers and all of that shit.
    It's a pretty fucking simple concept, folks... get in line... wait. That's it.
    Is it just a deal that the Pearl Jam fan cannot comprehend or what?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:

Thanx... I was thinking I was alone in this.
    People have been going to General Admission concerts for decades. There have been, literally, hundreds of thousands of General Admission concerts. The vast majority of them do not have lists and lotteries and bed checks and seniority and Marks of the Beasts and Line Nazis and Pre-Party line crashers and all of that shit.
    It's a pretty fucking simple concept, folks... get in line... wait. That's it.
    Is it just a deal that the Pearl Jam fan cannot comprehend or what?

Maybe it's a new wave of fans that are either too young or inexperienced to have attended a decent show in their lives, or it's a wave of people that have no interest in music other than PJ. I don't get it. I just. don't. get it. Go out and see a decent concert people! And then figure it out how a G.A. show works! It's called LIVING by the way...

Oh, and if this is going to become the stereotype of a PJ fan not to know how to deal with GA, then count me out of that group. I'm happy to be older and to have seen great bands in GA!! I know that I didn't walk around asking questions in the '90s, no one did.