Options

Calgary Blizzard

Comments

• Options
    Its a no win situation either way whether they cancel it or not. Regardless a decent size group of people gets the short end of the stick. Don't envy their position.
    Five favourite shows ever

1. Pearl Jam, Calgary, 2005
    2. NIN/QOTSA/DFA 1979, Calgary, 2005
    3. Pearl Jam, Calgary, 2013
    4. Rock the Bells, San Francisco, 2007
    5. The White Stripes, Calgary, 2007
  • Options
    prljamgirlprljamgirl Edmonton, AB Posts: 602
    You are lucky, so I hope for your sake the show continues because you just spent MORE money to make this happen for yourself.

You got a vaild point about going early and making other arrangements but not everyone can for whatever reasons. But like I said in my earlier post, just rock out a little harder for us and have a stellar time. I am genuinely happy for all those that can make it. Positive vibes!
    prljamgirl wrote:
    acharding wrote:
    part of me wishes they would just cancel and reschedule so the poor people that can't make it to the concert wouldn't just have to miss it. (and so people would stay home and be safe)

Part of me hopes they don't cancel because a lot of people have traveled from a long way and are already in town

In short...I don't envy Pearl Jam having to make this decision. Either way, it sucks

I understand what you're saying about people who can't make it to town because of the highways, but how fair is that to those of us who made alternate arrangements to get here early? My husband and I were supposed to fly in today, our flight would only now be leaving Edmonton....but we changed it and flew in last night, extra night in a hotel. We aren't the only people who made alternate travel plans. It sucks that some people can't make it because of the roads. But Calgary has an excellent train system and those who are in the city already shouldn't have too much difficulty getting there.

I totally know what you're saying....not everyone had the option or means to travel early and I'm truly sad for those who can't make it. I didn't mean it in a way that I spent extra money to get here early and boohoo to those who didn't...and I hope that no one took it like that. We booked our initial flights back in July when we bought the tickets. I've lived in Alberta long enough that I do not trust Mother Nature or highway 2 in December.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,601
    Its a no win situation either way whether they cancel it or not. Regardless a decent size group of people gets the short end of the stick. Don't envy their position.
    I don't think it's a hard decision for them. They were already at the venue before the storm started. They should, however, post something official addressing the conditions, and encourage the fans not to drive in this weather.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I never took your comments negatively. You done the right thing. And it sucks if you had to shell out extra money to make the same trip happen is what I am getting at.

I just hope for your sake that the gig goes on, cause at this point, that would suck for people like you if they pulled the plug on the show cause of the weather.

Keep the faith!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I don't think it's a hard decision for them. They were already at the venue before the storm started. They should, however, post something official addressing the conditions, and encourage the fans not to drive in this weather.

Yeah I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been an official annoucement one way or the other. The longer they hold off the more confusion there will be.
    Five favourite shows ever

1. Pearl Jam, Calgary, 2005
    2. NIN/QOTSA/DFA 1979, Calgary, 2005
    3. Pearl Jam, Calgary, 2013
    4. Rock the Bells, San Francisco, 2007
    5. The White Stripes, Calgary, 2007
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,501
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Yeah I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been an official annoucement one way or the other. The longer they hold off the more confusion there will be.

awesome screen name :lol: :thumbup:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    MudfestMudfest Posts: 1,015
    Road report on alberta 511 for those who need info ..

http://511.alberta.ca/ab/map/map02.html
    ===
    "OH Canada...You are so Beautiful when you are Drunk." Eddie
    1993-08-14 Gimli Mb Motorsport Park
    03-05-30 Vanc;05-09-08 Wpg
    05-09-07 Sask Sk;05-09-04 Calg
    05-09-05 Edm Alb;05-09-02 Vanc
    06-07-02/ 03 Denver 1 + 2;06-10-21/22 Bridge 1 +2
    4/3 + 4/2/08 Vanc Vedder ; 6/24+25 MSG /Toronto 09/buffalo 10/EV Chic 1-2
  • Options
    MudfestMudfest Posts: 1,015
    show is still on according to the saddledome

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=226302
    ===
    "OH Canada...You are so Beautiful when you are Drunk." Eddie
    1993-08-14 Gimli Mb Motorsport Park
    03-05-30 Vanc;05-09-08 Wpg
    05-09-07 Sask Sk;05-09-04 Calg
    05-09-05 Edm Alb;05-09-02 Vanc
    06-07-02/ 03 Denver 1 + 2;06-10-21/22 Bridge 1 +2
    4/3 + 4/2/08 Vanc Vedder ; 6/24+25 MSG /Toronto 09/buffalo 10/EV Chic 1-2
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    It's truly unfortunate for those who can't make it, but even a PJ show is not worth risking your safety for. There will be other shows. I know it totally sucks, but it seems it may be way too dangerous to attempt.

Sorry for those who can't make it. I have friends going and I just hope they are safe and sound and already in Calgary. They are supposed to go to Vancouver as well, be safe everyone!
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Yes most importantly stay safe, and give your tickets to us :lol:
  • Options
    I just had to drive to get some things and frankly the roads are not bad and have been through much worse than this. HOWEVER I imagine the highways are brutal because of the wind and no wind blocks.

Again I would encourage all those here to utilize the train if at all possible.

People seem to be driving quite intelligently (which is kind of weird to say for this city) in taking the proper amount of time and leaving vehicles around you adequate space. But all it takes is one moron driver to ruin that quickly.

Unfortunate for those not going but again safety first and for those that are braving the roads at this time please remember you have a lot of time.

I am heading out an hour earlier than normal to ensure I get there with adequate time.
  • Options
    a 10 vehicle crash in Strathcona County (Edmonton area)

http://globalnews.ca/news/1003515/one-p ... -edmonton/
  • Options
    There's no way I'm driving the QE2 today. Fingers crossed that the show's rescheduled for the spring.
  • Options
    ok - just contacted my best bro in Red Deer who I was supposed to make the pilgrimage with...I offically pulled the plug and won't be driving to Calgary tonight. Safety first.

I know its the right decision.
  • Options
    There's no way I'm driving the QE2 today. Fingers crossed that the show's rescheduled for the spring.

Radio stations and the venue have confirmed the show is a go.

Sorry to hear you cannot make it but you are making the right decision.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    It's truly unfortunate for those who can't make it, but even a PJ show is not worth risking your safety for. There will be other shows. I know it totally sucks, but it seems it may be way too dangerous to attempt.

Sorry for those who can't make it. I have friends going and I just hope they are safe and sound and already in Calgary. They are supposed to go to Vancouver as well, be safe everyone!

just texted with my friends, they are there already and will take the train tonight to the show I guess. They are concerned about their flight out to Vancouver tomorrow though.

sounds really bad there.
  • Options
    I really hope everyone stays safe!
  • Options

just texted with my friends, they are there already and will take the train tonight to the show I guess. They are concerned about their flight out to Vancouver tomorrow though.

sounds really bad there.

They should be fine for tomorrow plus they still have time if things fall through to get another flight by concert time Wednesday. My concern is the tour guys making their way through the mountains as those roads could be treacherous at best.

Also it is not the worst I have seen even in this city in Saskatchewan this would be just a brisk wind.
  • Options

sounds really bad there.

I have Calgary Airport on my weather network app....showing delays likely all day, but thus far tomorrow morning says delays unlikely.
  • Options
    GoodbyeForNowGoodbyeForNow Vancouver Posts: 120
    Flew in from Vancouver early this morning. There isn't as much snow as I had expected but the swirling snowy wind is crazy!!! Took a cab from the airport downtown and it cost around $40. Well worth it - i'm from a city where a bit of snow shuts us down so won't risk driving anywhere.

I have 2 10c reserved seats but my ticket buddies (who have 2 GA) may not make it from Lethbridge. If anyone doesn't have a ticket and wants to buy my second reserved, let me know. I'm waiting to hear if they've pulled the plug on driving.

For anyone who isn't able to make it, i'm sad for you. Hopefully you get to see the guys soon.

Stickers, posters, etc. - want it - let me know and I'll do what i can do accommodate requests.

Be safe!
    Vancouver, GM Place 2005
    Vancouver, GM Place 2009
    Seattle, EV Solo, Benaroya Hall 2011
    Winnipeg, MTS Center, 2011
    Manchester, June 2012
    Phoenix, EV Solo, Comerica Theatre 2012
  • Options
    TJackTJack Posts: 16
    ajaxslax wrote:

Can pretty much guarantee they'll do something great. They're all about the fans.

Ten Club just informed me that there will be no refunds, etc and that the options for those who have tickets but can't use them are:

"We can either mail the tickets after the show as a sort of souvenir. Or the member can opt to allow the Ten Club to gift the tickets for free to a fan in need."
  • Options

sounds really bad there.

They should be fine for tomorrow plus they still have time if things fall through to get another flight by concert time Wednesday. My concern is the tour guys making their way through the mountains as those roads could be treacherous at best.

Also it is not the worst I have seen even in this city in Saskatchewan this would be just a brisk wind.

Lol!!! So true!! I lived in Regina and those were some of the worst storms and worst winters I've ever experienced. Maybe that's why this isn't freaking me out like so e other people. I'm used to it.
  • Options
    Flew in from Vancouver early this morning. There isn't as much snow as I had expected but the swirling snowy wind is crazy!!! Took a cab from the airport downtown and it cost around $40. Well worth it - i'm from a city where a bit of snow shuts us down so won't risk driving anywhere.

I have 2 10c reserved seats but my ticket buddies (who have 2 GA) may not make it from Lethbridge. If anyone doesn't have a ticket and wants to buy my second reserved, let me know. I'm waiting to hear if they've pulled the plug on driving.

For anyone who isn't able to make it, i'm sad for you. Hopefully you get to see the guys soon.

Stickers, posters, etc. - want it - let me know and I'll do what i can do accommodate requests.

Be safe!

Came in from Winnipeg and going to the show. Hope I can get a poster and shirt.
    If you beat me to it, grab me one, and I'll buy you a beer at the show!
    AjaxSlax
  • Options
    How do we go about gifting the tickets? Can we assign them to a specific friend? I'd like to know so I can get the ball rolling on this ASAP
    TJack wrote:
    ajaxslax wrote:

Can pretty much guarantee they'll do something great. They're all about the fans.

Ten Club just informed me that there will be no refunds, etc and that the options for those who have tickets but can't use them are:

"We can either mail the tickets after the show as a sort of souvenir. Or the member can opt to allow the Ten Club to gift the tickets for free to a fan in need."
  • Options
    Feeling bad for all out of town with tickets that can't attend. Safety first, it is just a show.
    Too bad 10C tickets can't be transferred, as I would love to grab some.
  • Options
    How do we go about gifting the tickets? Can we assign them to a specific friend? I'd like to know so I can get the ball rolling on this ASAP
    TJack wrote:
    ajaxslax wrote:

10C should really officially release a statement to help these tickets find homes as I expect there is a good amount of them out there right now.
  • Options
    if we can't use them, better to make the 'Dome be packed and show the band a good ol fashion Calgary time. I'd be willing to gift my tickets to a friend and spread the karma. Its all about Karma kids.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,601
    edited December 2013
    TJack wrote:
    ajaxslax wrote:

That's good that the tix can go to other fans at least.... I don't see why anyone would want a souvenir of the show that they couldn't get to because of a blizzard. Who wants a keepsake of a shitty thing that happened??

If the Saddledome is only half full tonight, they might really try to make up for that with a crazy fun show!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    TJackTJack Posts: 16
    Unfortunately you can't gift them to anyone of your choice - it's up to the fan club rep handing out the tickets to choose who they want to give them to.

I was told this is to prevent them from being scalped.

I chose to give mine up - hopefully they go to a long term member who has never been lucky enough to get great seats and they can enjoy PJ up close :)