Options

Calgary Blizzard

Comments

• Options
    AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    Sitting here looking out my window, and it looks terrible out there. I never thought I'd say this, but for the sake of everyone I hope they cancel the show tonight. This looks epic (in a bad way) outside. There is a crap load of snow falling and the wind is well above blizzard conditions.

AC
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    It can't be any worse than the weather at PJ20 or Wrigley. I'll never see the band outside again after those disasters.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    The issue here is the roads. The visibility is currently at zero (could get better later), but the amount of snow falling is crazy. Add on the wind, and you have people on the road at risk. The mayor has asked that people only travel if absolutely necessary. Then you have to get home after the show. Crazy!
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    edited December 2013
    If the band is here why would it be cancelled? Yeah the weather sucks big time but hockey games have went on in even worse conditions and no one would mention the word cancel.

I see no issue to cancel the show because some people cannot make it from out of town, sucks big time!! But the way things work and this was called to happen last week there was enough advance notice for people to change their plans.

Sucks for people who may not be able to make it but those are the breaks and I have had many of plans ruined because of weather.

They are closing roads into BC right now so I would see a bigger chance of Vancouver show being delayed if this carries into tomorrow which it is supposed to.

Remember people your life is more important than a concert and for those here use the train for best way of getting to and from the venue as cabs and especially buses will be an absolute crapshoot today.

If this concert does occur tonight, which I assume (and hope) will, I think it may be something special with this debacle going on right now.

Be safe!
    Post edited by RockinInCanada on
  • Options
    If you folks in Cow town can keep the info flowing, it would be much appreciated. I'm out by Rocky Mtn House, and its crap up here. Looking at a 3-4 hour drive to get to the dome, and then home, so all input is helpful.

Thanks
  • Options

If this concert does occur tonight, which I assume (and hope) will, I think it may be something special with this debacle going on right now.

You're probably right. We're all going to be in puffy jackets and toques on the floor. LOL.
  • Options
    AAJC wrote:

You're probably right. We're all going to be in puffy jackets and toques on the floor. LOL.

Should be hot inside, haha.
  • Options
    AAJC wrote:

The show must go on, right? But stay safe! I really hope no one is lining up for GA
  • Options
    The sooner you can get into Calgary the better. Its only getting more snowy and more cold as the day progresses. Take a lot of time too because the visibility is very poor.
    Five favourite shows ever

1. Pearl Jam, Calgary, 2005
    2. NIN/QOTSA/DFA 1979, Calgary, 2005
    3. Pearl Jam, Calgary, 2013
    4. Rock the Bells, San Francisco, 2007
    5. The White Stripes, Calgary, 2007
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    Stay safe everyone. Make smart decisions.
  • Options
    RB247657 wrote:
    If you folks in Cow town can keep the info flowing, it would be much appreciated. I'm out by Rocky Mtn House, and its crap up here. Looking at a 3-4 hour drive to get to the dome, and then home, so all input is helpful.

Thanks

All I know is that my son's school is still open and my wife was already out on the roads and people just need to take it slow. This is not even top 10 blizzards in my life time but visibility is absolute crap at the moment. Snow and wind not to subside until tomorrow afternoon they say.

If you are out of town I would get on the road ASAP to take your time if you want to make the trek.

Again attending a concert is not worth your life or that of any family member, significant other, or friend you may be travelling with. If you are in the city again take the train as number one option to the Stampede Victoria Park Station and again give yourself time. If you get there early swing by Duttons in the arena for some beers!

Again stay safe everyone!
  • Options
    wasa1971wasa1971 Calgary, Canada Posts: 2,144
    I just looked for any road closures, the only one I can see is through the crowsnest pass. I agree with previous post's as I was just out on the roads, add loads of time to your ETA. Snow accumulation wont be too much, it's the crazy wind gusts. If I can do anything to help any of you out please let me know. My thoughts are with those travelling, please arrive safe.
  • Options
    varty yovarty yo Posts: 105
    Its snowin pretty good here in the SE so glad i flew in yesterday!!! Allow yourself plenty of time to get there tonight. I wouldnt be surprised if they delayed the start a bit once they realize it isnt quick to get there in this weather. Ive seen it happen before
  • Options
    TJackTJack Posts: 16
    Trying to decide if we should still make the drive in from Edmonton - we aren't able to leave until 1 which sucks :(

All those in Calgary, please keep us updated here.
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    It's not that bad...but then again I've grown up with this, so it's nothing new for me either. ;) Just take it slow--and please, for the love of God, don't line up for GA if the temperature's dropping down to -20C.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    Anyone got any pictures?

Is this a blizzard or just a normal Calgary snowstorm? Like Buffalo some out of towners might consider a heavy snowfall a blizzard when it's just a normal snow fall.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    Its snowing pretty good i wouldnt say its shut down the city bad. Im from Saskie and we get some rank blizzrds on a scale of 1-10 id say this is a 6.
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    varty yo wrote:
    Its snowing pretty good i wouldnt say its shut down the city bad. Im from Saskie and we get some rank blizzrds on a scale of 1-10 id say this is a 6.

So just be smart when you venture out then is what you're saying.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    AyeeeeAyeeee Posts: 80
    I am looking out my hotel window in Calgary now, and it is barely snowing. Settle down people. Take your time commuting and it will be fine.
    "Believe in lies... to get by..."
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Not much snow, but strong winds.....which makes it seem like a lot of snow. If you take your time driving and are driving in the daylight it shouldn't be that bad. I've seen way worse.
  • Options
    ShawnKemps7KidsShawnKemps7Kids Posts: 44
    edited December 2013
    The thing people have to remember is while it might not be bad now, the worst stuff is rolling in this afternoon, and which is only brininging colder conditions and the roads will be getting slicker too.
    Five favourite shows ever

1. Pearl Jam, Calgary, 2005
    2. NIN/QOTSA/DFA 1979, Calgary, 2005
    3. Pearl Jam, Calgary, 2013
    4. Rock the Bells, San Francisco, 2007
    5. The White Stripes, Calgary, 2007
  • Options
    kc007kc007 USA Posts: 282
    :corn:
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    Just remember: earlier this year Calgary got hit with a one-every-hundred-years-type flood. We got this bad weather thing down to a fine science. Drive slow, especially if you aren't used to winter driving. But speaking as someone who's lived with these kinds of blizzards most of his life, it's really not that bad.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    F-en pissed. Ten club floor seats for Calgary show and stuck in Edmonton. Not impressed.
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Stuck in Edmonton?!? Oh no what's going on?
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    prljamgirlprljamgirl Edmonton, AB Posts: 602
    genevieve wrote:
    Stuck in Edmonton?!? Oh no what's going on?

Stuck in Edmonton because highway 2 has a no travel advisory....I'm guessing.
  • Options
    until they close it get goin!!!
  • Options
    Just seen a tweet that over 50 flights in and out of Calgary have been cancelled.

Hope it does not affect too many fans.
  • Options
    I think Long Road would be appropriate for tonight.

Other locals on Twitter saying the concert is a go and unpacking of the gear is occurring, not confirmed by any means but looking more and more this show will be a go!
  • Options
    Long Road is the one song I want to hear open up tonight.

AC