Options

Calgary Blizzard

Comments

• Options
    TJack wrote:
    Looks my trip is officially cancelled. I've been checking the highway 2 cameras and most are showing white out conditions. I only wish I could pass my tickets on to someone else in Calgary to use :(

That's kinda where I'm at TJack. Kinda wish I could just pass my tickets to someone who will use them.

Those webcams don't looks so great. Remember, this is the START of the storm. Its gonna get worse.
  • Options
    prljamgirlprljamgirl Edmonton, AB Posts: 602
    I'm calling Strangest Tribe to open the first encore. 5 below...sideways snow.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=226242
  • Options
    Snowfall/ Travel Advisory for the Lethbridge and surrounding areas
    Traffic Event Updated On: Monday, December 02, 2013, at 11:00
    Lethbridge RCMP are issuing an advisory for the area to discourage travel today, December 2, 2013. Heavy snowfall is expected and a blizzard warning has been issued through Environment Canada website. Travel is not recommended and roadways are in poor driving condition. Snowfall is expected to end late Tuesday afternoon.

Highway 3 from BC Border to Coleman closed
    Traffic Event Updated On: Monday, December 02, 2013, at 10:12
    There are reports that Highway 3 from BC Border to Coleman is closed due to snow, strong wind, drifting, poor visibility.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    We get a lot of snow in New England, too, but I wouldn't chance driving from Boston to Augusta, ME or Burlington, VT in a blizzard. PJ or no PJ.

I know this sucks guys but be safe.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    Sorry to hear some 10C members aren't able to make it. That's a bummer, but likely a good decision. There'll be more shows to attend.

Wish there were a way for the 10C to take back and re-sell tickets. I know it's asking a bit in terms of setting up and managing another ticketing system...

AC
  • Options
    Hi all ... we flew in to Calgary from the east coast to see this show. We are out at a hotel just north of the airport. Can someone recommend the best way to get to and from the show in these conditions?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,595
    Snowfall/ Travel Advisory for the Lethbridge and surrounding areas
    Traffic Event Updated On: Monday, December 02, 2013, at 11:00
    Lethbridge RCMP are issuing an advisory for the area to discourage travel today, December 2, 2013. Heavy snowfall is expected and a blizzard warning has been issued through Environment Canada website. Travel is not recommended and roadways are in poor driving condition. Snowfall is expected to end late Tuesday afternoon.

Highway 3 from BC Border to Coleman closed
    Traffic Event Updated On: Monday, December 02, 2013, at 10:12
    There are reports that Highway 3 from BC Border to Coleman is closed due to snow, strong wind, drifting, poor visibility.

:shock: I feel terrible for anyone who can't make it to tonight's show because of all this - fuck you, Winter.
    But now I'm getting worried about the crew and band getting out of Calgary and to Vancouver on time... :? I know everyone likes to think positively and to wave off storms, but I guess I'm am more one to hope for the best but expect the worst!
    People, don't fucking drive through conditions like this. It's stupid. PJ and crew, hope you don't get stranded in Calgary, because if this show that a lot of ticket holders won't even be able to attend ends up getting the Vancouver show cancelled too, that would really suck!!!!!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    :o :fp:
  • Options
    PowerSlave wrote:
    Hi all ... we flew in to Calgary from the east coast to see this show. We are out at a hotel just north of the airport. Can someone recommend the best way to get to and from the show in these conditions?

Cab would probably be best, no direct transit link from there and with the cold thats coming you don't wanna be waiting outside for a bus.
    Five favourite shows ever

1. Pearl Jam, Calgary, 2005
    2. NIN/QOTSA/DFA 1979, Calgary, 2005
    3. Pearl Jam, Calgary, 2013
    4. Rock the Bells, San Francisco, 2007
    5. The White Stripes, Calgary, 2007
  • Options
    A lot of us are unable to make it to the show here due to the weather. I hope somehow someone in the band or around the band can read this. Looks like a lot of us are playing it safe and not making the trip - safety first. It's the smartest decision. There will be more Pearl Jam shows for us to attend. We still support the band even tho our tickets go unused.

Maybe the boys need to dedicate a song to all the people that can't make it for future listens on the bootleg? My request is Crazy Mary
  • Options
    PowerSlave wrote:

The C-train runs in the Northeast (a few km's east of the airport area),...check with the hotel desk,...maybe they can shuttle to the train or line up a cab to train. You will take the train into downtown, then switch over to the Fish Creek train,... get off at Stampede Victoria station and trot to the Dome.
    Getting home is where it gets tricky, the cab situation could be questionable to say the least. But at least its not a friday or saturday night. But I suggest using the hotel staff to assist.
  • Options
    PowerSlave wrote:

...but if you don't mind paying,...a cab is probably best. Grab a card from the cabbie maybe you can arrange for a pickup later.
  • Options
    TJackTJack Posts: 16
    My biggest concern is that there is always the chance of hitting the ditch and like you said Dave - being stranded in your car in -20 is not something I want to do. As much as I love PJ, my 2 kids mean more to me and I can't risk it.

Love it if they would play Unthought Known tonight
  • Options
    TJack wrote:
    My biggest concern is that there is always the chance of hitting the ditch and like you said Dave - being stranded in your car in -20 is not something I want to do. As much as I love PJ, my 2 kids mean more to me and I can't risk it.

Ya bro best not chance it. You made the right decision. I'm with you so if you feel bad to miss PJ, I'm in the same boat and feel what you are feeling right now.
  • Options
    Started making the drive up this morning from Great Falls, Montana and turned around. Couldn't see the interstate and was slick as hell. We made it about 70 miles before calling it and turning back. To those traveling, please be safe! Bummed I can't donate my TC tickets or something since we won't be there now.
    11/3/00 Boise 5/28/03 Missoula 6/15/03 Fargo 8/29/05 Missoula 9/4/05 Calgary 7/22/06 Gorge 7/23/06 The Gorge 7/18/08 9/21/09 Seattle 9/22/09 Seattle 5/3/10 Kansas City 9/3/11 Alpine Valley 9/4/11 Alpine Valley 9/30/12 Missoula
  • Options
    part of me wishes they would just cancel and reschedule so the poor people that can't make it to the concert wouldn't just have to miss it. (and so people would stay home and be safe)

Part of me hopes they don't cancel because a lot of people have traveled from a long way and are already in town

In short...I don't envy Pearl Jam having to make this decision. Either way, it sucks
  • Options
    acharding wrote:
    part of me wishes they would just cancel and reschedule so the poor people that can't make it to the concert wouldn't just have to miss it. (and so people would stay home and be safe)

Part of me hopes they don't cancel because a lot of people have traveled from a long way and are already in town

In short...I don't envy Pearl Jam having to make this decision. Either way, it sucks

Maybe they could just make sure they come back in early 2014. ;)
    AjaxSlax
  • Options
    ajaxslax wrote:
    acharding wrote:

Maybe they could just make sure they come back in early 2014. ;)

Great Idea!! Maybe just wait for spring though. :):):):)
  • Options
    Ya maybe that means they will have to come back for another show in 2014.

let's face it, its a first world problem. Sucks to all us that can't make it and we pout and cry, etc, but to those that did make it and travelled to be there I hope its a fantastic show. I'm excited for you all, just rock out a little harder for us folk. Be thankful you got there safely.
  • Options
    prljamgirlprljamgirl Edmonton, AB Posts: 602
    acharding wrote:

I understand what you're saying about people who can't make it to town because of the highways, but how fair is that to those of us who made alternate arrangements to get here early? My husband and I were supposed to fly in today, our flight would only now be leaving Edmonton....but we changed it and flew in last night, extra night in a hotel. We aren't the only people who made alternate travel plans. It sucks that some people can't make it because of the roads. But Calgary has an excellent train system and those who are in the city already shouldn't have too much difficulty getting there.
  • Options
    TJack wrote:

Definitely the right decision..... Maybe PJ will come back soon and do another show for those who can't make it tonight. ;)
    This really sucks though. I'm so sorry - what a disappointment. PJ and the weather aren't getting along too well this year.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    prljamgirl wrote:
    acharding wrote:

I understand what you're saying about people who can't make it to town because of the highways, but how fair is that to those of us who made alternate arrangements to get here early? My husband and I were supposed to fly in today, our flight would only now be leaving Edmonton....but we changed it and flew in last night, extra night in a hotel. We aren't the only people who made alternate travel plans. It sucks that some people can't make it because of the roads. But Calgary has an excellent train system and those who are in the city already shouldn't have too much difficulty getting there.

see point number 2...
  • Options
    msujammer wrote:
    Started making the drive up this morning from Great Falls, Montana and turned around. Couldn't see the interstate and was slick as hell. We made it about 70 miles before calling it and turning back. To those traveling, please be safe! Bummed I can't donate my TC tickets or something since we won't be there now.

Sorry man. Bummer, but better to be safe
    1995: San Francisco, San Diego
    2000: Phoenix
    2008: Camden 2
    2009: San Diego, Philly 1, Philly 2
    2010: MSG 1, MSG 2
    2011: Alpine 1, Alpine 2
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Wrigley, Phoenix, San Diego, LA1, LA2, Oakland
    2014: Denver
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1
  • Options
    You are lucky, so I hope for your sake the show continues because you just spent MORE money to make this happen for yourself.

You got a vaild point about going early and making other arrangements but not everyone can for whatever reasons. But like I said in my earlier post, just rock out a little harder for us and have a stellar time. I am genuinely happy for all those that can make it. Positive vibes!
    prljamgirl wrote:
    acharding wrote:

• Options
    prljamgirl wrote:
    acharding wrote:

If PJ's is already in town and at the Saddledome (and obviously that can't get out of town until tomorrow sometime at best), then of course they should go on with the show. BUT they should also offer refunds or credit or SOMETHING for those who can't get there. I know that's not realistic - the show still costs the band the same amount to put on, even if only two people showed up for it (how weird would THAT be?? :lol: ). But in a perfect world, the fans wouldn't lose out on the money when it's completely out of their control..... Well, maybe 10C should at least send everyone with tix the digital bootleg for free. :)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    prljamgirl wrote:
    acharding wrote:

If PJ's is already in town and at the Saddledome (and obviously that can't get out of town until tomorrow sometime at best), then of course they should go on with the show. BUT they should also offer refunds or credit or SOMETHING for those who can't get there. I know that's not realistic - the show still costs the band the same amount to put on, even if only two people showed up for it (how weird would THAT be?? :lol: ). But in a perfect world, the fans wouldn't lose out on the money when it's completely out of their control..... Well, maybe 10C should at least send everyone with tix the digital bootleg for free. :)

Can pretty much guarantee they'll do something great. They're all about the fans.
    AjaxSlax
  • Options
    Now there's an idea
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    prljamgirl wrote:
    acharding wrote:

• Options
    You made the right decision. I feel sad for you but at the same time its the smartest decision. Stay safe please!!
    msujammer wrote:
  • Options
    For those that do attempt the drive, please look at this website. RED = BAD

http://www.amaroadreports.ca/