Options

Calgary Blizzard

Comments

• Options
    TJackTJack Posts: 16
    Ticketmaster and the customer service at the Saddledome are saying it's still a go at this time, but RCMP are advising to stay off the open roads.

First time I've ever had GA floor to a PJ show and I have to miss it because of the damn weather :(
  • Options
    Hail, Hail makes sense, a tribute to the usual wild weather we see in Calgary.
    Five favourite shows ever

1. Pearl Jam, Calgary, 2005
    2. NIN/QOTSA/DFA 1979, Calgary, 2005
    3. Pearl Jam, Calgary, 2013
    4. Rock the Bells, San Francisco, 2007
    5. The White Stripes, Calgary, 2007
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,648
    NWOntario wrote:
    Just remember: earlier this year Calgary got hit with a one-every-hundred-years-type flood. We got this bad weather thing down to a fine science. Drive slow, especially if you aren't used to winter driving. But speaking as someone who's lived with these kinds of blizzards most of his life, it's really not that bad.

ba ha ha ha ha....

Is that what the retards that went canoeing in the bow river said when they had to be rescued???

ha ha ha....

Move to the maritimes and we'll show you what "bad weather" means....

that being said...

good luck to all and be safe. I have a lot of friends in the calgary area attending tonight, fingers crossed that everything remains a go ahead....
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    Stuck at work here, even though we're allowed to go home, because it makes more sense for me to stay downtown to get to the Dome. This show better happen!
    Makes much more sense to live in the Present Tense.

Shows: 05/30/03, 09/02/05, 09/04/05, 09/05/05, 09/24/05, 09/25/05, 07/22/06, 04/02/08 (EV solo), 08/08/09, 08/23/09, 08/24/09, 09/25/09, 09/21/11, 09/23/11, /9/30/12, 12/02/13... many more to come!
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,500
    it's no joke. PJ_ROCKS texted me a picture yesterday of the road between spokane and great falls and it did not look good :(

I hope everyone makes it and the boys put on another kick ass show!!!!!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I'm calling Strangest Tribe to open the first encore. 5 below...sideways snow.
    2005 - Montreal, Ottawa / 2011 Montreal, Toronto 1, Ottawa / 2013 London, Calgary, Vancouver
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    shep wrote:
    NWOntario wrote:
    Just remember: earlier this year Calgary got hit with a one-every-hundred-years-type flood. We got this bad weather thing down to a fine science. Drive slow, especially if you aren't used to winter driving. But speaking as someone who's lived with these kinds of blizzards most of his life, it's really not that bad.

ba ha ha ha ha....

Is that what the retards that went canoeing in the bow river said when they had to be rescued???

No. Those people were morons. ;)
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options

this was my call too :D
  • Options
    Here's a picture of them setting things up inside the Dome. Looks like tonight is good to go.

Baf4or6CMAAL7oZ.jpg

• Options
    I'm in Edmonton and the plan was to leave at noon and drive down. I've been monitoring the weather like crazy today and have all weekend.

I can say from personal experience that driving from Edmonton to Calgary on Hwy 2 in conditions like this are never a great idea. Half the time its not yourself you have to worry about, its other drivers. Hwy 2 from Edmonton to Calgary is the Autobahn of Canada in my opinion. People are stupid when it comes to driving this road. Everyone drives 130km/hr...I've put hundreds of thousands of KM's driving this road and driven in every condition imaginable. My gut says no. My love of PJ says yes. I'm torn.

Worse case for me is losing out on 10c floor seats and another PJ show (and I haven only seen a couple). Its only $160 I'd be losing but I don't want to put myself and friends in danger.

I've seen the weather worse here in Edmonton. But this is only the START of the storm.

Just don't know what to do.......................SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
  • Options
    RyanRyan Posts: 1,017
    Just getting on the plane leaving from Winnipeg. No delay as of right now.
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Options
    I'm in Edmonton and the plan was to leave at noon and drive down. I've been monitoring the weather like crazy today and have all weekend.

I can say from personal experience that driving from Edmonton to Calgary on Hwy 2 in conditions like this are never a great idea. Half the time its not yourself you have to worry about, its other drivers. Hwy 2 from Edmonton to Calgary is the Autobahn of Canada in my opinion. People are stupid when it comes to driving this road. Everyone drives 130km/hr...I've put hundreds of thousands of KM's driving this road and driven in every condition imaginable. My gut says no. My love of PJ says yes. I'm torn.

Worse case for me is losing out on 10c floor seats and another PJ show (and I haven only seen a couple). Its only $160 I'd be losing but I don't want to put myself and friends in danger.

I've seen the weather worse here in Edmonton. But this is only the START of the storm.

Just don't know what to do.......................SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I'm with you Dave. Never had GA floor before and the person who is supposed to drive with me at 1 is backing down :(
  • Options
    I'm the driver in my case. Just don't know if its worth it to drive down. Its hard for people who dont live here to understand but this shit is dangerous and not a joke. We just had a 36 car pile up east of Edmonton at Elk Island National Park yesterday. 40 car pile up last week on Hwy 21. 100 car pile up back in April.

you just can't mess with mother nature.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    AAJC wrote:
    Sitting here looking out my window, and it looks terrible out there. I never thought I'd say this, but for the sake of everyone I hope they cancel the show tonight. This looks epic (in a bad way) outside. There is a crap load of snow falling and the wind is well above blizzard conditions.

AC

Lol, welcome to Canada. If this were the States then yeah, it would be a complete state-wide shutdown. This is not that bad. Not for us. If people stayed home whenever it snowed we wouldn't get anything accomplished in the winter.

The gear is being unloaded as we type! Show's gonna be EPIC.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    Might be worth trying to get on a flight from Edm to Cal instead of driving?

AC
  • Options
    TJack wrote:

I'm with you Dave. Never had GA floor before and the person who is supposed to drive with me at 1 is backing down :(

What you guys can't rent a snow plow and drive down with all that $$$ you're making at Fort Mac??? :P :P

(sorry couldn't resist).

best of luck guys. Hopefully it works out for you today.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    is there a train or something that can go from edmonton to calgary? ... for those deciding to venture down - perhaps consider not coming back the same night?
  • Options
    No Shep b'y this newfie lives in EDM buddy. No Mac for me. I might have less money but I have an actual life.

besides. What would Neil Young do?
  • Options
    AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    AAJC wrote:
    Sitting here looking out my window, and it looks terrible out there. I never thought I'd say this, but for the sake of everyone I hope they cancel the show tonight. This looks epic (in a bad way) outside. There is a crap load of snow falling and the wind is well above blizzard conditions.

AC

Lol, welcome to Canada. If this were the States then yeah, it would be a complete state-wide shutdown. This is not that bad. Not for us. If people stayed home whenever it snowed we wouldn't get anything accomplished in the winter.

The gear is being unloaded as we type! Show's gonna be EPIC.

I've lived in Calgary almost my entire life. I expect to be driving out to see this show, I'm pumped now. I take back that I think this show should be cancelled. Though, I'm likely not driving in to the dome, maybe using the train.
  • Options
    No Shep b'y this newfie lives in EDM buddy. No Mac for me. I might have less money but I have an actual life.

besides. What would Neil Young do?

ba ha ha ha...

there is more truth to that than you know (I have a bunch of friends in fort crack... and that's exactly the argument I have for why I live in Houston).....

Good luck today man, glad you have a sense of humour.
  • Options
    If you are going to drive down leave ASAP. This is only going to get worse and not better. If you can snag a flight I'd do that instead.

• Options
    That's cool Shep. I got lots of relatives in Houston and Dallas area. We newfies loves Texas aye b'y! haha

Loves the Jockey Club pic! Wicked.
  • Options
    Can't see them setting up a merch tent outside. Looks like there'll be a bunch of poster tubes in GA!
    2005 - Montreal, Ottawa / 2011 Montreal, Toronto 1, Ottawa / 2013 London, Calgary, Vancouver
  • Options
    If you are going to drive down leave ASAP. This is only going to get worse and not better. If you can snag a flight I'd do that instead.

Lots of flight cancellations and delays today. Its a gamble but good gamble.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,601
    edited December 2013
    varty yo wrote:
    until they close it get goin!!!
    The idea of possibly getting stranded in their car somewhere in the no man's land between Edmonton and Calgary in -20 weather during a blizzard might have them thinking about not risking it..... Remember folks, even a Pearl Jam show isn't worth dying for. ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    prljamgirlprljamgirl Edmonton, AB Posts: 602

There's a thread about this here on the porch.....'it's only weird if it doesn't work'
  • Options
    Looks my trip is officially cancelled. I've been checking the highway 2 cameras and most are showing white out conditions. I only wish I could pass my tickets on to someone else in Calgary to use :(
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    varty yo wrote:
    until they close it get goin!!!
    The idea of possibly getting stranded in their car somewhere in the no man's land between Edmonton and Calgary in -20 weather during a blizzard might have them thinking about not risking it..... Remember folks, even a Pearl Jam show isn't worth dying for. ;)

My thought exactly. Thats a place you do not want to get stranded. Yea we are forgetting that the temps are supposed to dip below -20. Cool Arctic air blowing in.........typical Alberta winter
  • Options
    prljamgirlprljamgirl Edmonton, AB Posts: 602
    TJack wrote:
    Looks my trip is officially cancelled. I've been checking the highway 2 cameras and most are showing white out conditions. I only wish I could pass my tickets on to someone else in Calgary to use :(

Under circumstances like this, it should be allowed