*** Charlotte Fanviews Here 10/30/13 ***

Comments

• RVCJJ3JRVCJJ3J Posts: 121
    JM44800 wrote:
    TUTMAN08 wrote:
    Look for the good and appreciate it.

This right here, thank you for sharing!!!!!!!

Totally agree. Some people see the glass 2% empty.
    Memorial Stadium-October 4, 1996; Riverbend Music Center- August 20, 2000; Post-Gazette Pavilion-September 5, 2000; Verizon Wireless Ampitheatre Charlotte-April 16, 2003; US Bank Arena-June 24, 2006; Scottrade Center-May 4, 2010; Consol Energy Center-October 11, 2013(On the Rail!); Time Warner Cable Arena-October 30, 2013
  • NDJeff7NDJeff7 Posts: 213
    I hardly ever post in the forums here but I don't get how that was a "bad" show. My wife and I had great 10club seats (sec 106 row A) and she was out of her mind because McCready came over to us during Alive and she got to strum his guitar! We only get to one show per tour so they're all special.

I was thinking that it was a greatest hits show but that I didn't really mind because the reason they're hits is because they're damn good songs. Good flow to the set and great energy from the band. I was at Wrigley in GA and I'd say I enjoyed this show more.
  • my view of Eddie during porch.

http://instagram.com/p/gIfuWvzVMe/#
  • NDJeff7 wrote:
    I hardly ever post in the forums here but I don't get how that was a "bad" show. My wife and I had great 10club seats (sec 106 row A) and she was out of her mind because McCready came over to us during Alive and she got to strum his guitar! We only get to one show per tour so they're all special.

I was thinking that it was a greatest hits show but that I didn't really mind because the reason they're hits is because they're damn good songs. Good flow to the set and great energy from the band. I was at Wrigley in GA and I'd say I enjoyed this show more.

It wasn't a bad show, man.
    I wrote an overblown reply last night but shelved it.
    The bottom line is this:
    Charlotte was a fine show.
    It will make for a damn fine bootleg.
    In many respects it is a bootleg collectors show.
    But a lot of folks who were at Charlottesville were spent,
    And the show fell flat for these folks.
    (Pretty sure we were in the minority, because of all the beautiful people I met in GA, only one pair of girls were actually at Cville, most of the rest, Charlotte was their first &/or only show)

It wasn't bad, it just was a hard show to love after the night before.
    My biggest complaint was the set list order, and for those sold to pearl jam at birth, it may have been the nail in the coffin. the song choices were fine. a bit on the mainstream side for the entire first set, but fine. the ORDER was hard to follow though. And it was no ones fault. Looks good on paper, will sound good on bootleg, but lots of quick ups, quick downs, long stretches with no singalong or not well known lyric songs, some long energy draining slow spots, and all the fan favorites and best loud new songs scratched from the late sets left the encores extremely polarized between mainstream hits (diehards have heard a million times) and songs that frankly I'm not even sure the hardcores love (or at least very hard to get the crowd in full swing for: Real Me, Watchtower, Bee Girl) ...

If the energy was off or the show was perceived as bad, it was, IMHO, e set list order itself, not he band or fans that fell short. Two examples that are solely order related: present tense and DTE. both amazeball songs. both probably should be held for their more traditional late first set positions, as they really make your head spin too early in the game. Can't say why. Just how I feel. Seen others here say basically the same, so I know it isn't JUST me.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • NDJeff7NDJeff7 Posts: 213
    I'd agree with you on Bee Girl, Real Me and Watchtower. Those definitely aren't my favs and I wouldn't have minded hearing a couple of others in their place instead. I've seen them about 12 times and this show falls right in the middle of the pack for me. Not a bad show (Chicago '03 is my least fav mainly because Ed was sick) but not a great show for me like Boston '94 or Alpine '03.

In the end just a fun solid show.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,463
    Having been in C'ville GA, I would agree with Drifting's assessment... with one HUGE exception. I was absolutely thrilled they played Real Me and Watchtower. It was the highlight of the set for me. Real Me is a sick tune and Jeff just goes apeshit on it. I had not seen in on the tour yet, so I was thrilled. Watchtower is a rarity, for same reason. I was disappointed that crowd seemed out of it for Real Me. Even in a 10C section, I think I was the only one screaming Doctor, Daniel, etc.
  • CobCob Posts: 857
    I don't really understand why people are so concerned about the crowd at shows, I don't really care, if the bands plays well or kicks ass is all I care about, I don't care about the people around me, I usually just watch each song and then after the song I clap, cheer and raise hell.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Still my largest cause of unease with this show was the cutting of wash, leash, speed of sound, and leaving here. Instead the encores are basically a hits parade and the show ended quickly. It makes me believe either the band was tired or they just realized playing longer for that crowd wasn't necessary. Either way, it's hard for me to say this is a good show as a result. Trying my best not to compare it to CVille, but IMO Charlotte standing by itself as a show is really questionable. I wouldn't call it bad by any stretch, but average at best or slightly below average at worst. The crowd, the set list, and the bands spirits or energy from the crowd are all kind of sketchy to me.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • CobCob Posts: 857
    I have seen TONS of PJ set lists with songs scratched out.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Cob wrote:
    I don't really understand why people are so concerned about the crowd at shows, I don't really care, if the bands plays well or kicks ass is all I care about, I don't care about the people around me, I usually just watch each song and then after the song I clap, cheer and raise hell.

1. Ed realizes a crowd isn't responding to rare songs, you get great songs like wash or leash taken off the set.
    2. The band feeds off the crowds energy. Every great or the best pj shows have really good crowds. If you could see the band in CVille the night before, you can see what energy from feeding off the crowd I'm referring to.
    3. Personally I cannot get into a gig of I'm trying to dance and people around me are looking at me like I'm silly. They just stand there and text on their phones. It's not only a mood killer but disrespectful. When the crowd was talking to each other the whole night like the crowd was around me, I couldn't focus on the music. All I could hear was them screaming in each other's ear. Nothing pertaining to the show either, just small talk.

This is why crowd matters.

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Cob wrote:
    I have seen TONS of PJ set lists with songs scratched out.

That's fine, we all have seen shows with songs marked out. Considering all the ones marked out at this show were rarities and the encores were basically all hits. I think that implies something about that crowd and the overall sluggish vibe the band were in from the blistering previous night.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,463
    Cob wrote:

I love the feeling of "community" that comes with the energy and singalongs. When something like Release or Faithfull is played, it's not just about Ed. It's about all of us in it together. So when you don't quite get that, for me, it diminishes the experience. When you get it in spades, it's the highest of the highs, music wise.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    Charlottes poster is eye candy, but not much to sink your teeth into. I slightly prefer CVille poster over Charlotte.

I disagree. As a history nerd, I think there is plenty to sink your teeth into with the Charlotte poster. Charlotte, IMO, offers a story that's rooted in the city's history. Of all the posters I own it's the only one that actually tells a story. I like the Charlottesville poster, and I appreciate the commentary and perhaps it stands the test of time. I just like the story that's attached to the Charlotte poster. Just my opinion.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    Cob wrote:

1. Ed realizes a crowd isn't responding to rare songs, you get great songs like wash or leash taken off the set.
    2. The band feeds off the crowds energy. Every great or the best pj shows have really good crowds. If you could see the band in CVille the night before, you can see what energy from feeding off the crowd I'm referring to.
    3. Personally I cannot get into a gig of I'm trying to dance and people around me are looking at me like I'm silly. They just stand there and text on their phones. It's not only a mood killer but disrespectful. When the crowd was talking to each other the whole night like the crowd was around me, I couldn't focus on the music. All I could hear was them screaming in each other's ear. Nothing pertaining to the show either, just small talk.

This is why crowd matters.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious:) A crap crowd doesn't mean that PJ isn't going to rock your face off. Cleveland 2010 is fine example. The band exploded on the stage but the CLE crowd was pretty garbage. Great setlist that nite and really really great energy from the band. It was almost like they were playing harder bc the crowd sucked.

With that said, a great crowd and a great band is just another level. Until you see it...which I hope you do...you will understand.
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • Great show!
    Wow! All I can say! 5 heads from the rail directly in front of ed. THEY FUCKING PLAYED GETAWAY!!!!!

I was right there with you and totally agree. GETAWAY! Finally!
    TUTMAN08 wrote:
    I feel compelled to weigh in on all this.
    Charlotte was my 4th show of this tour.
    Pearl Jam - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

TutMan, this was one of the best posts I've seen on here - sorry I shortened it in the quote - but it's been quoted a lot on here. Love how they called it "EPIC" and your reply is perfect.

I've seen this band a lot and this may not have been my #1 ever, but it was amazing & I loved it.

Wonderful, friendly people in the pit too.

Thanks as always to PJ and 10c for delivering!

If anyone's interested, here are some of my pics and videos from the show:

Pics:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 04c2445e15

Videos:
    Getaway (partial) = http://youtu.be/RAN6hUwAUvQ

Ed right in front of us in pit for end of Porch = http://youtu.be/ZWflAr7OUAc
  • Wow , this show was amazing and magical !!! I took my daughter and we couldnt have asked for more !! I held my signs made from bedsheets the whole time hoping that in some way the guys would know how much we loved them and appreciated them sharing their time with us . When Elderly Woman was played , the crowed sang along much like a well trained choir and the result was indeed inspiring . I think that the show was great and all of the fans were showing the love that they have held so close to their hearts for years for the band , in volumes . Thanks guys and Eddie , you still have a magic that captures and demands my attention from a to z .
  • Does anyone know who Audrey was that he dedicated Bee Girl to? Such a wonderful show! And actually got to hear Stone talk and saw his boobs lol! But seriously it was incredible, one of my best shows yet!
    Audrey Sue Elizabeth Lewis
  • I just like to say the Ten Club Concert gang is a special part of Pearl Jam that the band might not realize. Sitting in Section 113 Row C I was surrounded by the nicest folks. Bearded Red Sox Fans, couple that went to Charlottesville (lucky) Mother daughter seeing PJ together, costumed friends rocking out. The stories shared from folks who where at Wrigley, and other shows we had all been to. My wife loves the band and was so impressed by the friendship the CLUB creates. Seems most of the peps near us were members since 94-98 period. The show was fantastic but after seeing setlist of UVA show I realized again you must hit more then one show on tour to fully appreciate what Pearl Jam offer live. I couldn't pull it off this tour but I did think about which show to head for and thought Charlotte was Halloween and the rest is history. I had hoped for Bu$hleaguer as a little costume time.
    But hopefully the bootlegs will appear. Glad to see Constitution Hall 1998 is available. One of my fav shows along with Charleston 96 and Greensboro 2000.

Look forward to seeing the Club Gang at future shows and to all going to Seattle enjoy and safe travels.
    And as they say Y'all come back now ye Hear!!!! Don't be a stranger!!!! Southeast needs more PJ LIVE!!

I saw a guy going into pit outside with Nikon 35mm said he talked to someone that they allowed up to 6 inch lens. Anyway I wonder if he got in with camera and posted pics anywhere.
  • JoshoeuhJoshoeuh Posts: 167
    I've waited a little longer than I've planned to write this review, but I think I've had time to gather all my thoughts...

I was in section 103, row CC. The audio was not good by any stretch of the imagination to start the show where I was sitting. I particularly noticed this from Pendulum through Last Exit. I'm not really sure at what point it got better or I just got used to it, but I definitely did not notice the problems as much as the show went on.

I was a little bit annoyed looking over the set from the Charlottesville show the night before, because I knew it had to be physiccally and mentally exhausting for the band and we were getting them without a day of rest. Driving down from Kentucky, my wife and I were jamming PJ to get ourselves pumped up. A song would come on and she'd say "I hope they play this one!" My reply almost every time was pretty much "They played it last night, so I doubt it." After this happened several times, she just said "What's left?" And that pretty well summed it up. Just looking over the set, this one reminds me a lot of Worcester 2. Having not listened to that show, I don't know if that comparison is accurate at all.

Continuing with my list of complaints, the people around me did not seem to be in to the show at all. As a pretty introverted person in my life, I really need to feed off of the energy of those around me before I'm able to let myself go. Prior to the show, they were all talking about how they really got in to the concerts and danced and sang all night, but when the music actually started it's like they forgot all about that. Not a lot of singing or moving from those around me. I didn't let it get in the way of my good time, but it was a much different crowd than my two prior experiences.

To the positives: Even during a show where you know the band is physically drained, there's still not a better band to see live for my money. If they were mailing it in, I couldn't tell for any reason other than the slightly shorter sets. Out of 30 songs they performed, 19 of them I hadn't already seen live before... Somehow in 2 prior shows, Daughter evaded me. I finally got Immortality, Low Light, Present Tense, Not For You, Off He Goes... I was like a school girl during all of the above. And the live debut of Getaway? Feels special to know that no matter how many more times they perform it live, I was one of the first to get to see it.

Bee Girl? Are you fucking kidding me? Awesome!

There was a guy in a blue shirt that I believe danced through every section of the lower level and the floor... That guy was having the time of his life. My wife got almost as much pleasure watching him as we did the band. Every few minutes, we'd try and locate him and he'd be somewhere completely different. If that fella happens to be on this board, you're the shit.

This was the first show I've had the pleasure of seeing in Charlotte, and I was very pleased with the city. Everyone was extremely friendly and accommodating -- At the hotel (Omni), at the restaurant (Black Finn), on the streets, in the arena... Fans and workers alike, everyone was really cool. It's rare to have a pleasant experience every step of the way, so we were really happy with that.

I can understand why someone who had seen the band several times may be disappointed with this show, but despite all my complaints I absolutely loved it and can't wait to do it again. Here's hoping for 2014, as my budget isn't going to allow me to head west.
    Columbus 2010 - Atlanta 2012 - Charlotte 2013
  • This was my first PJ show since 1996...though I have never quit listening to them. But this show was undoubtedly the best show I have EVER seen and I have been going to live shows since 1976...the atmosphere was incredible, the band was playing full out and having a GREAT time and the crowd was awesome as well. It was very obvious the band is all about the fans now....so good to see in a time whre is is usually all about the "me". This show has elevated PJ to my co-favorite band now (along with Widespread Panic) and now I HAVE to see this band again and again (I have got a ways to catch up with how many times I have seen WSP-49-but it will be so FUN trying to do it. It was as truly a spiritual experience.....thank you!
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,782
    (2) my seats were on the floor 5 rows behind GA and being 5'7", that's not the best spot for me. I had been lower on the side in Charlottesville which was better for me. I thought the crowd around me was pretty into it...esp the guy two rows in front of me who kept climbing up and jumping off his seat!!! chill dude, you could get hurt that way and

I was right behind that guy, to his credit he got down quickly after a tap on the back each time. He finally stopped after he ended up in the lap of the poor woman next to him. Very apologetic, but it was bound to happen and no one got hurt.

My experience in Charlotte was a good one, but I was drained from Charlottesville. I can't compare the two honestly I was on the rail in Charlottesville going berserk the whole show. The crowd around me was into the show but reserved for the most part, as was I. The set list was good, Getaway debut, the boys were on, overall a good show. But as a few said earlier, your perspective and experience play a BIG part in determining how much you get out of a show.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • While I sit here listening to Swallowed Whole , which has become one of my favorites , I had to re-post about my Charlotte experience . I met the nicest people there , in the merch line , I met several couples that were so very nice and actually was able to make great friends with one lady and besides the great show , that was priceless !!! I want to mention that Pearl Jam fans , no matter where they are , are the nicest people :) !!!! I saw mothers and sons , mothers and daughters like my daughter and myself , couples , every type of meaningful group you can imagine , some older some younger , it was a mixed lot of folk but all so appreciative for the guys giving their time and energy . Ive read several posts where someone felt not so cool or thought people were not digging it like they should . I did see lots of phones and cams rolling but I think people just want to capture a bit of the energy for later so I dont relate that to not loving the show , I personally didnt get any video or pics because I was too busy in amazement and after it was done I was like oh man I didnt get any pics !! Lol , I wish i knew how to get in touch with the people I met besides the lady Ive become friends with , the nice couple from Orlando that we met in the merch line , the two young men we talk to waiting to get into the show that had driven from Atlanta and Miami , the folks from the omni .... this was all such a great thing and time and then the wonderful show ....we are so lucky . I hope that we continue to get graced by this band in this part of the country in the future because it meant so much to so many people .
  • Absolutely wonderful show. While I am not fortunate enough to be able to see multiple shows during tours due to a financial factor, I am usually able to catch the band within 200 miles of home. It has been 5 long years since last we met. I was not disappointed. This was well worth the wait. The setlist was perfect. We all got to hear the tour debut of "Getaway". I had hoped that being a 10 club member would have gotten me a little closer but the seats were not terrible. Pretty good view up on Stone's side. I hold out hope that one of these days I'll be close enough to join in personally. *wish wish* Until that day I have the awesome memories of a really cool show and this wonderful new cd to carry me over for a while. Rock on Pearl Jam and thank you for the many years you have continued to share your gifts with us. See you next time.
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Just got home to Atlanta from last night's show. There aren't enough words to describe how awesome this show was. I was left standing at the end of the show saying to myself "did this show just really happen?" The set list was just amazing, it was old school in your face rock till you drop. I am 46 years old and am exhausted today, how the Boys still do this night after night just defies logic. It really is scary when you think to yourself, just how long can ED keep giving himself like he does just so we can enjoy show after show. For the ones criticizing there energy level, I say lets see you try it. I was just so impressed with every aspect of the show, the crowds are so well behaved and friendly, there just is nothing that can make a LIVE PJ show not a memorable experience. In fact this night qualifies as a life changer, my wife went with me and she really isn't a huge die hard fan, but after the show she said it was incredible and it was one of the most entertaining shows she has ever seen. Pearl Jam is a unique animal and it sucks you in so deep you wonder how you ever managed without them, my goal from here out is to get my 14 year old son to go with me to my next PJ show, I hope it's pretty soon.

To the whole band....Thank You for what you do for me and my family, you guys are simply the BEST!!!!!

Steve Johnston
    :thumbup:
    I don't care what anyone says... The band was tight last night and I loved every second.
    this. ^ Thank you.
    And I was at both shows (Cville and Charlotte), and I thought they both FUCKING ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!! Regardless of setlists (it cannot be denied that Cville was incredible), they were both amazing. I had much better seats for Charlotte which definitely added to the experience, but I left both nights just feeling in awe and I have been hearing PJ music on continuous rotation in my mind since then. And like the other poster said, I just stood there at the end of the show like "wow.. ".. speechless.
    I am just grateful for any PJ show I get to go to, and go with no expectations other than to hear some incredibly awesome shit. And I've only been disappointed once (and that was only because I was about 2 miles away).
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Have these guys ever had a bad setlist?,,I think that is like finding a unicorn or something..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

I wish they'd realized Wash-Leash are two very old songs known by very many of us who have never ever seen them. It would've put the show over the top.
    I do agree with this.. when I saw that, I felt sad.
  • 2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    I had a blast! # 56,XXX, Section 106, Row B. Thank you Ten Club!

I felt like it was just me and PJ. I could care less about how "the crowd" responded!

Band sounded great! Do yourself a favor and go see the guys, if possible!

Thanks again PJ &TC !!!
    Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg
  • terrym08terrym08 Posts: 372
    Hometown show and scored a tambourine, what more is there?