*** Charlotte Fanviews Here 10/30/13 ***

SeaSea Posts: 3,014
edited January 2014 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
Charlotte, NC
Time Warner Cable Arena
Oct. 30, 2013
Set List

01. Pendulum-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
02. Low Light
03. Present Tense
04. Last Exit
05. Do The Evolution
06. Lightning Bolt-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
07. Mind Your Manners-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
08. Severed Hand
09. Even Flow
10. Daughter/Blitzkrieg Bop-(Ramones)/Atomic Dog-(Clinton, Shider, Spradley)
(Ed thanks the audience and notes that although he is a little embarrassed to say it the new record is #1 for the second week. “I only bring it up because I want to thank you guys for making it number one. And we didn’t we didn’t even have to show our tits.” This prompts Stone to lift his shirt. Ed jokes, “Three weeks at #1 thanks to Stone Gossard’s tits.”)
11. Getaway-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”) live debut
12. Sirens-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”) (with outro sing along)
13. Setting Forth
14. Not For You/Modern Girl-(Sleater Kinney)
15. Immortality
16. Infallible-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
17. Unthought Known
18. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 1
(“We have some dedications coming up. This first one is for Audry. It is a cautionary tale.”)
19. Bee Girl
(Ed thanks several people including some members of the camera crew that is shooting for the screens the band has “so you can see how hard Matt Cameron is working”.)
20. Yellow Moon-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
(“I’d like to dedicate this to my friends ‘Black Jack’ and Bronson”)
21. Off He Goes
(I’d like to dedicate this to a couple of fine newlyweds, Michael and Sara (sp))
22. Just Breathe
(Ed mentions that Michael is not an ordinary person but an extraordinary person. “There are people who listen to our music in the most extraordinary situations, overseas in the military and they tell us that our music means something to them. We are so honored by that and to have some of those folks here. We have them and some of the doctors from Wounded Warriors here.”)
23. Given To Fly
24. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)
25. Porch
(rather than swing from a globe Ed gets on the barricade and stands with people in the pit)

Encore Break 2
(Ed introduces the band and then tells the story of the next song. “This next song was written a long time ago and I didn’t think much of it but we were all living in the same place while we were making the second album and Stone heard it and said you have gotta use that. So, I wanna give you (meaning Stone) all the publishing. IF, you never show your tits again. No I am kidding they are lovely, in a Will Ferrel kind of way.” Stone laughs and goes up to his mic and says, “Did you hear what he said? In a Will Ferrel kind of way?” Ed says, “no, no, I said uh...peripheral kind of way.” He then has the audience help count in the song.)
26. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
27. Real Me-(Townshend)
28. Black
29. Alive
30. All Along The Watchtower-(Dylan)
(Mike continues after the rest of the band stopped)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    edited October 2013
    Wow! All I can say! 5 heads from the rail directly in front of ed. THEY FUCKING PLAYED GETAWAY!!!!!

The boys had a lot of energy. looked like they were having a blast playing. Highlights for me were getaway, last exit, severed hand and present tense. Amazing show.

Thanks pearl jam and ten club.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Another great setlist
    That I no longer give a fuck
    Who is wrong and who’s right
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,414
    Great set!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • R-Dub81R-Dub81 Posts: 374
    Getaway !!!!! Nuff said.
    Great show all Around!
    "Some people think it makes a difference...I think it's the difference that makes it" 

340xxx
    03 - Mansfield 3
    04 - Asheville
    06 - Hartford
    08 - Columbia, MSG 1, MSG 2, Hartford
    10 - Kansas City, Hartford
    12 - Atlanta
    13 - Charlotte
    16 - Columbia
    18 - Boston 2
  • JoshoeuhJoshoeuh Posts: 167
    This was an awesome show. Not the crazy unpredictable set from Charlottesville, but a lot to love here.

So glad I attended the show Getaway made its debut, and scratched off several songs from my "I need to hear that" list.

Right now I'm still processing everything. I'll have more thoughts tomorrow.
    Columbus 2010 - Atlanta 2012 - Charlotte 2013
  • Mike played a little of Skynyrd's "Simple Man" at the end for Artimus Pyle, who was sitting next to the stage....for those who didn't catch that.
  • mrpink90mrpink90 Posts: 415
    Mike played a little of Skynyrd's "Simple Man" at the end for Artimus Pyle, who was sitting next to the stage....for those who didn't catch that.

awesome. the original skynyrd were amazing
  • F'in awesome setlist....Great crowd...another awesome show.....too many highlights to list...it was great. Oh and stone showed his tits lol
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...
  • pj66jppj66jp Posts: 41
    Finally we got Getaway awesome. Got my favorite. Given to Fly. Incredible show and great set Just getting back to hotel. :D
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,461
    For most of the night I thought the band was emotionally drained from last night. But upon further review I am thinking it was me that was emotionally drained.
  • Staceb10Staceb10 Posts: 675
    Guys were on fire. Debut of Getaway, Bee Girl and closing with All Along the Watchtower. Great show
  • Mike played a little of Skynyrd's "Simple Man" at the end for Artimus Pyle, who was sitting next to the stage....for those who didn't catch that.
    just got a pm about it..!!!!!
    omg,may my dream come true one day and he play Free bird solo!!!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • MK13579MK13579 Posts: 217
    Everything I've seen says Katy Perry took the number 1 spot. Am I missing something?
  • mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    mrussel1 wrote:
    For most of the night I thought the band was emotionally drained from last night. But upon further review I am thinking it was me that was emotionally drained.

I think your initial thoughts are correct. It was a good crowd and the first set had potential. Look at all the songs crossed off and did u notice how quick they came out for the second encore. They just wanted to get it over with. They were spent and so was anyone who participated in the VA show. Pretty much singalongs after first set. I don't blame them. Heck, I was spent too. Sound quality in time warner was sketchy and piercing at times.

My ratings from last three shows:

3rd= charlotte
    2nd= baltimore
    1st = Charlottesville by a huge margin...so thankful to have been there

Charlotte was my 20th show but I will never forget my 19th.
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 2,926
    Bee Girl and Watchtower - you jammy buggers. 8-)
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Nowhere, I mean nowhere, near the quality of Charlottesville VA. Show tonight in NC was average at best. I agree, the boys were drained from VA. CVille will most likely be the best pj show I ever see, Charlotte may be the least impressive. The crowd around me in 103 was terrible.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    GETAWAY!!!!! Hell yes! How was it live???!!! I bet it was f-ing awesome - just like the other new songs are! BEE GIRL - nice addition to this set!!!!!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • RE4790RE4790 Posts: 801
    mcrok wrote:
    Charlotte was my 20th show but I will never forget my 19th.

Sounds like me talking about my ex-wives.

Glad you all liked it. It's been an amazing run through this leg of the tour.
  • hgpjam11hgpjam11 Posts: 1,328
    This was only my 2nd show of this tour, and just my 7th total. Charlotte will be one of my favorites, mostly because the seats were better than I've had before so I could see & enjoy more. I also finally got to hear Present Tense, which is one of my favorites. Bee Girl was a nice surprise with Jeff & Ed, and the debut of Getaway was great. Now I wait... for Seattle.
    I win.
  • tcadd94tcadd94 Posts: 611
    :shock:

Amazing set.
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Nowhere, I mean nowhere, near the quality of Charlottesville VA. Show tonight in NC was average at best. I agree, the boys were drained from VA. CVille will most likely be the best pj show I ever see, Charlotte may be the least impressive. The crowd around me in 103 was terrible.

I concur. Also the crowd around me in 116 was awful. My wife and son used my 10c seats in 104, and my son said the crowd wasn't as into it as they were in C-Ville. Solid performance as always from the band, but the crowd....geez.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,461
    I was in floor 3 and the crowd was pretty weak. Even during Given to Fly which is the easiest tune to crank up for. My four show ratings are

1. Charlottesville - I thought it was maybe because I was in the pit but no...it really was that good
    2. Philly 2
    3. Philly 1
    4. Charlotte

I was worried last night might be a bit anti climatic and it kind of was. But even an average PJ show is better than almost anything else.
  • I think your initial thoughts are correct. It was a good crowd and the first set had potential. Look at all the songs crossed off and did u notice how quick they came out for the second encore. They just wanted to get it over with. They were spent and so was anyone who participated in the VA show. Pretty much singalongs after first set. I don't blame them. Heck, I was spent too. Sound quality in time warner was sketchy and piercing at times.

The one who said the above I think is 100% right. Many noticed how quick they were out for that 2nd encore. The thing that will sting most is the removal of Leash and Wash.

Getaway and Lowlight were terriffic. It was better than Baltimore, but I wish they'd realized Wash-Leash are two very old songs known by very many of us who have never ever seen them. It would've put the show over the top.
  • TPATURKTPATURK Posts: 47
    Need a poster if anyone has an extra

Great show - due to an injury 10C moved me from GA to reserved - was much more relaxed when I got there - show seemed to start a little slow but I think by mid setlist it picked up. About my 40th show but All Along the Watchtower was a Surprise and Getaway what can you say
    Atlanta, Georgia (August 20, 1992)
    New York, New York (September 10, 1998)
    New York, New York (September 11, 1998)
    West Palm Beach, Florida (September 22, 1998)
    West Palm Beach, Florida (September 23, 1998)
    West Palm Beach, Florida (August 09, 2000)
    Tampa, Florida (August 12, 2000)
    Tampa, Florida (April 13, 2003)
    Seattle, Washington (October 22, 2003)
    Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008)
    Chicago, Illinois (August 23, 2009)
    Chicago, Illinois (August 24, 2009)
    Kansas City, Missouri (May 03, 2010)
    St Louis, Missouri (May 04, 2010)
    Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011)
    Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011)
    Philadelphia, PA (October 21, 2013)
    Charlotte, NC (October 30, 2013)
    Tampa (April 11, 2016)
    Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016)
    Chicago The Vic (8-2-2007)
    Tampa/St.Pete (3-29-1994)

• It was a good show but they were definitely exhausted. Ed and Mike still went down to the pit and the band engaged the crowd as much as possible. It wasn't the most energetic show, but they didn't call it in either.

For a set of exhausted 50 year olds, they put on a great show.
  • vackvack Posts: 8
    I enjoyed the show, I thought they sounded really good last night...Getaway for the first time!!! Stone's Tits, Off He Goes, Watchtower, Mike playing the rail, and Eddie in GA for Porch. Yeah pretty good.

But then again it's Pearl Jam, they're always good.

My 9th Show.
  • Was on the rail right in front of Ed...had an amazing time. When Ed was talking about not having to show their tits to get the number one record, a few of us up front started pointing at Stone, then he laughed and lifted his shirt. They talked about it later during 'small town' and Ed changed the lyric to "I seem to recognize your breast..."

Also Ed played the refrain from 'sirens' acoustic after the song was over...'sirens reprise' if you will.

Video of Bee Girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUjmBOu3_J4
    liveon4legs.com
    co-host, Live on 4 Legs Podcast
    9/1/98 Atlanta, 9/22/12 Atlanta, 10/30/13 Charlotte, 10/14/14 Memphis, 4/13/16 Jax, 4/16/16 Greenville, 4/21/16 Columbia, 8/20-22/16 Wrigley, Nashville/Louisville/St. Louis 2022
  • CanuckPJGurlCanuckPJGurl Posts: 41
    edited November 2013
    After both Amsterdam shows and Wrigley... The energy in Charlotte was different last night. The song choices brought a more mellow vibe... I took a lot of pictures and their faces reflect that... I love this band and the show was good.... Always is! But I felt for them last night... I enjoyed the show and the song choices, it was just different or maybe it was me :).

After some thought and reflection on the whole night... I owe these gents the Most heartfelt THANK YOU! On the off chance they do one day read this... Thank you all so much for the Charlotte show! The songs you played ( and he knew them all)made my husband jump up and down, whoop and holler, high five and smile! That is what Pearl Jam means too me! Thank you for bringing a little joy into our lives and for giving so much to people you don't know... You gave me a gift I can never repay you for! You made my husband smile, sing and so happy, I am sure the awesome fans in section 105 D can vouch for me! Chances are everyone around us knows who he was... To the sweet lady from Texas and the gent from Raleigh who gave him a beer... I hope you both got home safely! To Mr. Chicago who loved his Cubs Jersey at Whiskey River before the show, I hope you got home safe too! Thank you all from the bottom my heart! Pearl Jam and it's fans are amazing!

I was sad to learn today that what I posted originally... There was a sadness that night and I felt they had lost their best friend but the show must go on...was very close to true... My heart goes out to the family of Buttons Kaluhiokalani and all who knew and loved him :( to the band your sadness did not go unnoticed... I am deeply sorry for the loss of your friend...
    Post edited by CanuckPJGurl on
  • my 2nd PJ show.

i was midway in FL3.. after seeing the setlist from charlottesville i was worried about what they would bring to charlotte.

i left with mixed feelings.. only 30 songs..way less than past several shows. crowd was OK. i think eddie tried to engage the crowd several times to take over the singing (present tense, better man, black, intro to Elderly, end of sirens, etc..) i was screaming the lyrics out as loud as I could, but when i stopped to listen to the crowd.. they were pretty much lame and couldn't hold the chorus/lines well at all. it was 10 yrs since they played charlotte, and with a show/crowd like this I hope it doesn't take them another 10 years to come back :roll:
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    Say what you want about the show, set or energy level. From my vantage point I saw a band who, while possibly exhausted, still put in a lot of effort and was still having fun doing so. I've seen them before after an exhausting night before (Hershey '03) and I would say they really put more effort into this night than they did with that one.

All in all, I had a great time. I'm so glad they decided to go back to having general admission at their shows. It was fun hanging with you guys. An amazing show, a very nice set, and an overall great experience. Thanks, boys!
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks