*** Charlotte Fanviews Here 10/30/13 ***

Comments

• naz4viper wrote:
    my 2nd PJ show.

i was midway in FL3.. after seeing the setlist from charlottesville i was worried about what they would bring to charlotte.

i left with mixed feelings.. only 30 songs..way less than past several shows. crowd was OK. i think eddie tried to engage the crowd several times to take over the singing (present tense, better man, black, intro to Elderly, end of sirens, etc..) i was screaming the lyrics out as loud as I could, but when i stopped to listen to the crowd.. they were pretty much lame and couldn't hold the chorus/lines well at all. it was 10 yrs since they played charlotte, and with a show/crowd like this I hope it doesn't take them another 10 years to come back :roll:

Didn't help that it is an awfully large building with no seats in the middle of it. There's a not huge lower bowl, a couple stories of luxury boxes, then a larger upper bowl which was way more filled than I thought it would be. But in the bigger buildings, the sing back and forth don't work as well, especially with a song like PT that the median fan doesn't really know, as opposed to a Leash or Not For You that they probably would.
  • PJ1973PJ1973 Posts: 414
    I thought it was a little odd that Charlotte and Charlottesville were on back to back nights. Baltimore to Charlottesville is a shorter distance than C-Ville to Charlotte - I know they most likely fly to each venue, but still, this was the first back-to-back in different venues since the first two nights of the tour.

This was my fourth show of the tour, but I was with and talked with many people for whom this was the first/only and they couldn't tell - they were all gushing about how great the show was and how into it everyone in their sections were (and this was in the 200s!), so a lot is perspective. I agree it was a lower key show than the past two, but it's still Pearl Jam and a lot of people left thinking they destroyed the place!

I agree with the motorcitymandman who stated the arena is too big - esp after Baltimore and C'ville. A lot of empty space between the levels and a real high ceiling. That's a lot of empty space for sounds to die off in sing-alongs...the place was pretty full though, I didn't see large patches of empty seats like I did on the top tier of Charlottesville. And my friends who were scattered through the top said their areas were really into it too.

I know for me, three things affected the show personally
    (1) I was tired after SEEING three shows in 4 day. I don't know how these guys 10-15 years older than me keep PERFORMING like they do in the same time!
    (2) my seats were on the floor 5 rows behind GA and being 5'7", that's not the best spot for me. I had been lower on the side in Charlottesville which was better for me. I thought the crowd around me was pretty into it...esp the guy two rows in front of me who kept climbing up and jumping off his seat!!! chill dude, you could get hurt that way :D and
    (3)I was really bummed at the encore and I realized it was b/c it my last show of the tour, my first real tour, and the first time I've seen them in 10 years. Hearing Alive was "terrible" b/c it meant the show, my tour, and my vacation were almost over! How's that for putting my emotions on to a performance?!

See you in Seattle!....maybe....
  • JM44800JM44800 Posts: 106
    I had a great night! Pearl Jam was awesome, setlist was awesome, seats (Thank you 10c) were best I have had at a PJ show. I am going to pass on comparing it to previous shows as I like to treat each show as it's own. Not better or worse, just a perfect night of doing something I love, going to a Pearl Jam show with my wife and dear friends. Doesn't get much better than that.
  • PJ1973 wrote:
    I thought it was a little odd that Charlotte and Charlottesville were on back to back nights. Baltimore to Charlottesville is a shorter distance than C-Ville to Charlotte - I know they most likely fly to each venue, but still, this was the first back-to-back in different venues since the first two nights of the tour.

This was my fourth show of the tour, but I was with and talked with many people for whom this was the first/only and they couldn't tell - they were all gushing about how great the show was and how into it everyone in their sections were (and this was in the 200s!), so a lot is perspective. I agree it was a lower key show than the past two, but it's still Pearl Jam and a lot of people left thinking they destroyed the place!

I agree with the motorcitymandman who stated the arena is too big - esp after Baltimore and C'ville. A lot of empty space between the levels and a real high ceiling. That's a lot of empty space for sounds to die off in sing-alongs...the place was pretty full though, I didn't see large patches of empty seats like I did on the top tier of Charlottesville. And my friends who were scattered through the top said their areas were really into it too.

(1) I was tired after SEEING three shows in 4 day. I don't know how these guys 10-15 years older than me keep PERFORMING like they do in the same time!
    (2) my seats were on the floor 5 rows behind GA and being 5'7", that's not the best spot for me. I had been lower on the side in Charlottesville which was better for me. I thought the crowd around me was pretty into it...esp the guy two rows in front of me who kept climbing up and jumping off his seat!!! chill dude, you could get hurt that way :D and
    (3)I was really bummed at the encore and I realized it was b/c it my last show of the tour, my first real tour, and the first time I've seen them in 10 years. Hearing Alive was "terrible" b/c it meant the show, my tour, and my vacation were almost over! How's that for putting my emotions on to a performance?!

Excellent point about the nights being back to back. That explains the exhaustion. I still think they pulled off an awesome show for being so drained.
  • I feel compelled to weigh in on all this.

Charlotte was my 4th show of this tour. Brooklyn 1,2, Philadelphia 1 being the other 3. All were incredible but like your kids (for those of you old enough to have kids) all were different. Someone in an earlier post mentioned it is all about perspective - I agree. I loved Brooklyn 1 but that was my first concert since 2010, so yes I was stoked. Brooklyn 2 was great but we had seats behind the stage so that was a bit of a buzz kill. Philadelphia 1 was an excellent show with decent seats.

I thought Charlotte was really, really, really good. The acoustics were far better than Brooklyn and we all got to see Atomic Dog with Daughter - which I think is a first. Bee Girl was another great treat. And I personally think they took Lightening Bolt to another level last night. I love the fact that they are so confident that they can do covers as encores and Watchtower was awesome!

From my seat (Section 114 Row L -THANK YOU Ten Club!!) The crowd was really into the entire show.

Perspective . This was the first Pearl Jam show for my 23 year old and two of his friends. Their description -- "EPIC!!!!" They were so fired up and so excited - it made me happy as hell to know my kid and his friends loved it as much as, if not more than, I did.

So why do people have to analyze everything to death? And criticize? And speculate?

The band played for about 2.5 hours. They nailed the standards (Porch, Rearviewmirror, Black, Severed Hand et al) they dusted off some lesser performed songs, they did a brand new one. They poured their hearts and souls into the music and offered up a terrific show.

Certainly, we all have our favorite shows, songs, moments but to marginalize last night's performance is an insult to the band and disrespectful to everyone who had a fantastic time.

Hell the guy next to me was bummed because they didnt play Hail Hail or a Neil Young song. Really??? I mean, REALLY???

My final $0.02. We take every show and be glad there are musicians like Ed, Jeff, Stone, Mike, Jeff and Boom, who can get together and create so much energy and joy for so many people. Look for the good and appreciate it.

Pearl Jam - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
  • BabaLoverBabaLover Posts: 455
    Had fun running the set list for this show. Different than Charlottesville but still a great set list. I think even I was drained from Charlottesville and I wasn't even there. :lol:

Lucky bastards to all of you who got to hear Getaway first.

Thanks Sea for posting.
    To and fro the pendulum throws

"Don't Worry, Be Happy." Avatar Meher Baba

7/12/11 - EV Oakland 2, 10/22/11 - EV Bridge School
    9/25/11 Vancouver, 11/26/13 - Oakland, 11/7/15 - Buenos Aires
    TUTMAN08 wrote:
    Look for the good and appreciate it.

This right here, thank you for sharing!!!!!!!
  • I know there are always areas in an arena where I question why the people are even there....that being said GA was awesome (but then again, when is it not a blast). I expected less from the crowd and I felt like they delivered more. Even though it has been a while since I have seen them, I thought it was a great show, a great setlist, and an overall great time. They didn't jump around like crazy back in the early 90's but I thought that they engaged the crowd well and it was a wonderful night. Whether they were tired or not, I didn't see it. Hope to see them again sooner than later :)
    Memphis 25 Mar 1994    Fenway 1 05 Aug 2016
    Charlotte 04 Oct 1996     Fenway 2 07 Aug 2016
    Knoxville 06 Sept 1998   Wrigley 2 22 Aug 2016
    Charlotte 30 Oct 2013     Seattle 1 08 Aug 2018
    Cincinnati 1 Oct 2014      Seattle 2 10 Aug 2018
    Greenville 16 Apr 2016    Wrigley 2 20 Aug 2018
    Columbia 21 Apr 2016
  • Last night was my 16th show. I too was at Charlottesville and to try to compare them is just not going to happen. Charlotte was epic in every since of the way a Pearl Jam show can be called epic. Sure at first I was bummed to hear Rearview again. Only because I knew we were at the half way point. Not because I heard it the night before. They could play those songs on repeat and I would be happy.
    In regards to energy and what not, I went: home to Charlottesville and back. Then home to Charlotte and back. 12 hours of driving in a 36 hour period. I am so tired and all i did was watch. The band has been on road for several weeks now and have played as if they were a NEW band. Full of energy and don't fuck with us because we are the best rock band on the planet attitude. Yet Ed even brought up the fact they were headed home soon. They haven't played a national tour in years and yet I don't seem to recall them acting tired while in stage.
    Pearl Jam is the greatest rock band.
    I loved last night as much as Charlottesville based on the single fact that I was at a Pearl Jam show!!!

Enjoy the rest of the tour I will patiently await the bootlegs.
  • Im spent, 4th show in a row. I went and sat up the back corner just to put my feet up and take it in. I loved the setlist, like i generally do. I thought even after b2b nights the band was going hard and really giving it their all. I dont get this whole, "if i dont hear Black, my night is ruined shit". If its good enough for the band to play, its good enough for me to listen to and enjoy.

I actually thought I was hungover as a bastard this morning but i'm not. Its the stabbing pain of sadness that its over and a short 20hr flight awaits home.
  • PJ1973 wrote:

I am 100% with you here (except re. Seattle unfortunately)
    to the universe i don't mean a thing,
    and there's just one word that i still believe,
    and it's love... love
  • TUTMAN08 wrote:
    I feel compelled to weigh in on all this.

Charlotte was my 4th show of this tour. Brooklyn 1,2, Philadelphia 1 being the other 3. All were incredible but like your kids (for those of you old enough to have kids) all were different. Someone in an earlier post mentioned it is all about perspective - I agree. I loved Brooklyn 1 but that was my first concert since 2010, so yes I was stoked. Brooklyn 2 was great but we had seats behind the stage so that was a bit of a buzz kill. Philadelphia 1 was an excellent show with decent seats.

I thought Charlotte was really, really, really good. The acoustics were far better than Brooklyn and we all got to see Atomic Dog with Daughter - which I think is a first. Bee Girl was another great treat. And I personally think they took Lightening Bolt to another level last night. I love the fact that they are so confident that they can do covers as encores and Watchtower was awesome!

From my seat (Section 114 Row L -THANK YOU Ten Club!!) The crowd was really into the entire show.

Perspective . This was the first Pearl Jam show for my 23 year old and two of his friends. Their description -- "EPIC!!!!" They were so fired up and so excited - it made me happy as hell to know my kid and his friends loved it as much as, if not more than, I did.

So why do people have to analyze everything to death? And criticize? And speculate?

The band played for about 2.5 hours. They nailed the standards (Porch, Rearviewmirror, Black, Severed Hand et al) they dusted off some lesser performed songs, they did a brand new one. They poured their hearts and souls into the music and offered up a terrific show.

Certainly, we all have our favorite shows, songs, moments but to marginalize last night's performance is an insult to the band and disrespectful to everyone who had a fantastic time.

Hell the guy next to me was bummed because they didnt play Hail Hail or a Neil Young song. Really??? I mean, REALLY???

My final $0.02. We take every show and be glad there are musicians like Ed, Jeff, Stone, Mike, Jeff and Boom, who can get together and create so much energy and joy for so many people. Look for the good and appreciate it.

Very, very well stated- I appreciate your positivity!
    to the universe i don't mean a thing,
    and there's just one word that i still believe,
    and it's love... love
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,404
    ONLY 30 songs....man we re spoiled!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • I thought from the youtube video that Getaway sounded a little slow and seemed to be missing something, almost somewhat disappointing compared to the studio version. Was that just the video or did those there live feel the same way?
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • TUTMAN08 wrote:

Agree 100% Tutman, well said!
    Raleigh 8/18/92
    Charlotte 10/4/96
    Camden 8/28/98
    Greenville 9/4/98
    Charlotte 8/4/00
    Charlotte 4/16/03
    NYC 7/9/03
    Asheville 10/6/04
    Columbia 6/16/08
    Atlanta 6/23/09 (Eddie Solo)
    Philly 10/30/09
    Bristow 5/13/10
    Atlanta 9/22/12 (Midtown Music Festival)
  • Left Porch wrote:
    I thought from the youtube video that Getaway sounded a little slow and seemed to be missing something, almost somewhat disappointing compared to the studio version. Was that just the video or did those there live feel the same way?

JUST THE VIDEO.

GETAWAY SOUNDED LIKE A MILLION DOLLARS BEING SHOVED IN YOUR EAR HOLES, GREASED WITH HONEY AND PEPPERMINT!

The crowd group orgasmed.
    Highlight of the show, bar none.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    Left Porch wrote:
    I thought from the youtube video that Getaway sounded a little slow and seemed to be missing something, almost somewhat disappointing compared to the studio version. Was that just the video or did those there live feel the same way?

JUST THE VIDEO.

GETAWAY SOUNDED LIKE A MILLION DOLLARS BEING SHOVED IN YOUR EAR HOLES, GREASED WITH HONEY AND PEPPERMINT!

Agreed, it sounded awesome and I was dancing like a little kid when it started.
  • Left Porch wrote:

JUST THE VIDEO.

Good to hear.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • TUTMAN08 wrote:

I usually stay away from this forum (all forums for that matter), because I've learned others impressions and too high of expectations leading to negativity always left me questioning my own experience.
    I decided a few years back, I don't need anyone affecting my experience.
    And, it's worked well.
    I logged on, because I had an amazing time last night and was bummed I couldn't get out of work to see the Charlottesville show, so I wanted to read about how stupid I was for not taking that day off too.
    Of course, I've found out I missed out big time.
    But, coming to this thread, I've again been reminded why I stay away...
    TUTMAN08 helped to redeem the thread. Thanks!
    Last night, I caught myself wondering, how much longer do we have...how much longer will Ed have the pipes...
    It made last night more precious to me and it made me think, I better start going to more shows!
    Don't get me wrong. It's not around the corner.
    But, time moves fast.
    And, for anyone who has kids (I have 3 boys), you know this is true.
    Before we know it, songs like Spin The Black Circle won't be possible and it won't stop there...slowly they will have to move to lower key songs and while I will continue to see them until the end, the dynamic will absolutely change.
    For this reason, last night was an amazing show for me...AMAZING!
  • This was my fourth show overall. All of the new songs sounded great. Was a treat to hear Bee Girl, Immortality, and Not For You (with 15,000 middle fingers in the air!...haha) Sirens made me tear up...love that song. Acoustics were okay...the coda of Present Tense got pretty muddled, but otherwise not terrible for a big arena. Couldn't hear Boom at all. I was in 105, row L which provided a great sight line to the stage. Closest that I've been out of 4 shows and I loved every minute of it. Hopefully, it won't be 5 years before I see them again!

Peace...
  • critteraucritterau Posts: 210
    Way too exhausted after my 5 hour drive right after the show back to Auburn to write a review, especially working on 1 hour sleep, but here is a video I took from the pit during Porch. I was holding Eddie with one hand and filming with the other so excuse the choppiness.

More to come later. Hell of a night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G1qWI2qel0
    Bham 9/3/98
    Atl 8/7/00, Houston 10/14/00
    Bham 4/9/03, Nash 4/18/03, Atl 4/19/03, Boston 7/11/03, Hershey 7/12/03
    Orlando 10/8/04
    Camden 5/27, 5/28/06
    PJ20 9/3 & 9/4/11
    Missoula 9/30/12
    Wrigley 7/19/13
    Charlotte 10/30/13, SD 11/21/13, LA 2 11/24/13
  • Left Porch wrote:

From the floor it sounded like the lead guitar riff that cuts through the verse was turned way too far down. It sounded like it was missing that groove. But I thought it may have just been my position.

Guitar tones are better, but they still need work and the entire show could be raised a few db levels. They don't have to play as loud as Foo Fighters, but north of 104 would be nice.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    Left Porch wrote:

JUST THE VIDEO.

100% agree with you!
  • Just got home, 7 hours solo driving each way to see this show... and it was totally worth it. Were the acoustics a little off? Yes. Was the crowd disengaged at times? Yes. Was the setlist a little shorter than I had hoped? Yes. Am I bummed I missed out on Charlottesville the night before? Yes.

But, really, none of that matters. I got to see my favorite band live last night, and they delivered the goods. Present Tense exploded in my ears. Immortality was intense, it gave me chills. They debuted my favorites song off the new record. Sirens is really coming into its own live, and the crowd was singing LOUD for that one. And the lighter moments were great too, Stone's tits, the Atomic Dog tag on Daughter, Bee Girl, Ed in the pit for Porch!

I had that same moment of panic that mclain13 describes... realizing that our time to love this band is limited, wondering if I'll get to bring my toddler to a show when he's old enough, knowing that they play fewer shows now and it's harder for me to get away from the responsibilities of life, but all the while thankful for what this band and their music have given me. I wouldn't be the same person without it, So I treasure the memory of last night. I savor it. And I can't wait to do it again.
  • critterau wrote:
    Way too exhausted after my 5 hour drive right after the show back to Auburn to write a review, especially working on 1 hour sleep, but here is a video I took from the pit during Porch. I was holding Eddie with one hand and filming with the other so excuse the choppiness.

oh my gosh this vid gave me chills!!!!!!!! this is exactly why i'm on this forum. thank you so much for sharing.
    Be strong, be loved.
  • critterau wrote:

That was one of the best moments in the show, and I wasn't even in the pit.
  • critterau wrote:

That was sick!!!
  • Just got home to Atlanta from last night's show. There aren't enough words to describe how awesome this show was. I was left standing at the end of the show saying to myself "did this show just really happen?" The set list was just amazing, it was old school in your face rock till you drop. I am 46 years old and am exhausted today, how the Boys still do this night after night just defies logic. It really is scary when you think to yourself, just how long can ED keep giving himself like he does just so we can enjoy show after show. For the ones criticizing there energy level, I say lets see you try it. I was just so impressed with every aspect of the show, the crowds are so well behaved and friendly, there just is nothing that can make a LIVE PJ show not a memorable experience. In fact this night qualifies as a life changer, my wife went with me and she really isn't a huge die hard fan, but after the show she said it was incredible and it was one of the most entertaining shows she has ever seen. Pearl Jam is a unique animal and it sucks you in so deep you wonder how you ever managed without them, my goal from here out is to get my 14 year old son to go with me to my next PJ show, I hope it's pretty soon.

To the whole band....Thank You for what you do for me and my family, you guys are simply the BEST!!!!!

Steve Johnston
  • Same here. Section 114 row n. Show, energy, sound, crowd, view all great. Really had a great time and appreciated the show! Not sure why some would question things? Almost like I was at a different concert from them.
  • PJ1973PJ1973 Posts: 414
    critterau wrote:

The choppiness of this video is unacceptable. Next time, please step back, allow me to step in front of you, hold Eddie and please record that. That would be much better ;)

Seriously though - Amazing! What a moment :D