*** Charlotte Fanviews Here 10/30/13 ***

Comments

• critteraucritterau Posts: 210
    Here is another during Alive I took. Again, it's choppy but hey, I don't stand still at shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJbHcJQlXXM
    Bham 9/3/98
    Atl 8/7/00, Houston 10/14/00
    Bham 4/9/03, Nash 4/18/03, Atl 4/19/03, Boston 7/11/03, Hershey 7/12/03
    Orlando 10/8/04
    Camden 5/27, 5/28/06
    PJ20 9/3 & 9/4/11
    Missoula 9/30/12
    Wrigley 7/19/13
    Charlotte 10/30/13, SD 11/21/13, LA 2 11/24/13
  • mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    ohdeardad wrote:
    TUTMAN08 wrote:
    I feel compelled to weigh in on all this.

Charlotte was my 4th show of this tour. Brooklyn 1,2, Philadelphia 1 being the other 3. All were incredible but like your kids (for those of you old enough to have kids) all were different. Someone in an earlier post mentioned it is all about perspective - I agree. I loved Brooklyn 1 but that was my first concert since 2010, so yes I was stoked. Brooklyn 2 was great but we had seats behind the stage so that was a bit of a buzz kill. Philadelphia 1 was an excellent show with decent seats.

I thought Charlotte was really, really, really good. The acoustics were far better than Brooklyn and we all got to see Atomic Dog with Daughter - which I think is a first. Bee Girl was another great treat. And I personally think they took Lightening Bolt to another level last night. I love the fact that they are so confident that they can do covers as encores and Watchtower was awesome!

From my seat (Section 114 Row L -THANK YOU Ten Club!!) The crowd was really into the entire show.

Perspective . This was the first Pearl Jam show for my 23 year old and two of his friends. Their description -- "EPIC!!!!" They were so fired up and so excited - it made me happy as hell to know my kid and his friends loved it as much as, if not more than, I did.

So why do people have to analyze everything to death? And criticize? And speculate?

The band played for about 2.5 hours. They nailed the standards (Porch, Rearviewmirror, Black, Severed Hand et al) they dusted off some lesser performed songs, they did a brand new one. They poured their hearts and souls into the music and offered up a terrific show.

Certainly, we all have our favorite shows, songs, moments but to marginalize last night's performance is an insult to the band and disrespectful to everyone who had a fantastic time.

Hell the guy next to me was bummed because they didnt play Hail Hail or a Neil Young song. Really??? I mean, REALLY???

My final $0.02. We take every show and be glad there are musicians like Ed, Jeff, Stone, Mike, Jeff and Boom, who can get together and create so much energy and joy for so many people. Look for the good and appreciate it.

Pearl Jam - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Agree 100% Tutman, well said!

Hey man, these are called FANVIEWS. Do I need to explain what that means? You really shouldn't take criticism of last nite's show so personally---it is a fan's view and they are entitled to it. For the most part, everyone here clearly loves the band to death and cherishes all they have done. But if you were in Charlottesville, I think you would have seen the difference. Night and day and legitimate for many reasons. I wish you could have been in JPJ Arena that nite. Hell, I wish everyone could. Maybe someday they will start playing more small venues with better acoustics and you will witness how much better a show it is for everyone. The band always has a good time and puts on a good show. Everyone here knows that in these forums. Charlottesville just blows CLT out of the water on all levels. Sorry, it is just the truth and if they ever release the video of it...oh, you will see:) But don't get bent out of shape and put words into mouths of those who are pointing out the obvious. It is just a FAN'S VIEW. Get it? Got it? Good:)
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • i did think getaway was a little tentative at first but it picked up quick, once they got past the first verse it was rocking.

awesome videos of porch and alive there
    liveon4legs.com
    co-host, Live on 4 Legs Podcast
    9/1/98 Atlanta, 9/22/12 Atlanta, 10/30/13 Charlotte, 10/14/14 Memphis, 4/13/16 Jax, 4/16/16 Greenville, 4/21/16 Columbia, 8/20-22/16 Wrigley, Nashville/Louisville/St. Louis 2022
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    I was so excited when I found out the band was finally coming back to Charlotte. Last nights show was great. The band didn't seem tired at all to me, especially Ed. I've seen over 40 shows but I've never been as close to Ed as I was last night. I've never noticed just how much the guy puts into every performance. He was up there sweating his ass off, giving it his all. Jeff seemed to be in a fantastic mood, smiling and laughing all night. My only complaint is all the cell phones in the pit, people texting and taking videos really annoys the shit out of me. I understand you paid for your ticket, but holding your phones up in the air to record an entire song is disrespectful, especially when you are blocking people's view. Can't wait for Dallas and OKC
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Just got home after a 9 hour drive home (slept 5-6 hours in the van) & I've seen them 60+ show(from '92 until last night)s & not one of them has ever been bad!

Even when they have a bad night or the sound was not good or what ever went on it was till always PEARL JAM !!

the good bad ugly , all worth it & last night was no exception, another great show, they will always surprise you either with a new song or a rare one, or them smashing the stage up in anger.

And that is why we drive or fly around the world to see them, we love the & they love us
    thanks again PJ. see you very soon.

Plus I took 2 friends that said the didnt like PJ, but only have heard radio songs & i'm proud to say they now have 2 new fans.
  • curlycurly Posts: 703
    great post mclain....
    specially how you noted...

I usually stay away from this forum (all forums for that matter), because I've learned others impressions and too high of expectations leading to negativity always left me questioning my own experience.
    I decided a few years back, I don't need anyone affecting my experience.
    And, it's worked well.

I've had so many mixed feelings over the years about the forum...
    and it can most def affect your views and outcomes of the shows we get to see...
    ...its kinda like your "take your bad with your good" ol saying...
    I love most everything the 10club has to offer, so i'll be with them til the end....
    but its tough reading reviews of "the best night of your life"....when others are down playing it...

As we all know...pj has some of the best fans/people in the world following them...
    and a many of them are on the forum...and just as many have never logged on or read a single post...

Great tour so far guys....keep it up and cant wait to hear the boots....

curly

mclain13 wrote:
    TUTMAN08 wrote:

Charlotte was my 4th show of this tour. Brooklyn 1,2, Philadelphia 1 being the other 3. All were incredible but like your kids (for those of you old enough to have kids) all were different. Someone in an earlier post mentioned it is all about perspective - I agree. I loved Brooklyn 1 but that was my first concert since 2010, so yes I was stoked. Brooklyn 2 was great but we had seats behind the stage so that was a bit of a buzz kill. Philadelphia 1 was an excellent show with decent seats.

I thought Charlotte was really, really, really good. The acoustics were far better than Brooklyn and we all got to see Atomic Dog with Daughter - which I think is a first. Bee Girl was another great treat. And I personally think they took Lightening Bolt to another level last night. I love the fact that they are so confident that they can do covers as encores and Watchtower was awesome!

From my seat (Section 114 Row L -THANK YOU Ten Club!!) The crowd was really into the entire show.

Perspective . This was the first Pearl Jam show for my 23 year old and two of his friends. Their description -- "EPIC!!!!" They were so fired up and so excited - it made me happy as hell to know my kid and his friends loved it as much as, if not more than, I did.

So why do people have to analyze everything to death? And criticize? And speculate?

The band played for about 2.5 hours. They nailed the standards (Porch, Rearviewmirror, Black, Severed Hand et al) they dusted off some lesser performed songs, they did a brand new one. They poured their hearts and souls into the music and offered up a terrific show.

Certainly, we all have our favorite shows, songs, moments but to marginalize last night's performance is an insult to the band and disrespectful to everyone who had a fantastic time.

Hell the guy next to me was bummed because they didnt play Hail Hail or a Neil Young song. Really??? I mean, REALLY???

My final $0.02. We take every show and be glad there are musicians like Ed, Jeff, Stone, Mike, Jeff and Boom, who can get together and create so much energy and joy for so many people. Look for the good and appreciate it.

I usually stay away from this forum (all forums for that matter), because I've learned others impressions and too high of expectations leading to negativity always left me questioning my own experience.
    And, it's worked well.
    I logged on, because I had an amazing time last night and was bummed I couldn't get out of work to see the Charlottesville show, so I wanted to read about how stupid I was for not taking that day off too.
    Of course, I've found out I missed out big time.
    But, coming to this thread, I've again been reminded why I stay away...
    TUTMAN08 helped to redeem the thread. Thanks!
    Last night, I caught myself wondering, how much longer do we have...how much longer will Ed have the pipes...
    It made last night more precious to me and it made me think, I better start going to more shows!
    Don't get me wrong. It's not around the corner.
    But, time moves fast.
    And, for anyone who has kids (I have 3 boys), you know this is true.
    Before we know it, songs like Spin The Black Circle won't be possible and it won't stop there...slowly they will have to move to lower key songs and while I will continue to see them until the end, the dynamic will absolutely change.
    For this reason, last night was an amazing show for me...AMAZING!
    Let me say this about last nite. They could have kept playing---but they didn't. The truth is no matter how many more they played or how many rarities they played it would have not changed the energy of the show. I think they knew that and that is why they scratched 5 songs from the set. They went back out, played the popular singalongs, made the majority happy, and closed shop.

That was the quickest 2nd encore break in the history of PJ. Let's get this done and rest. It worked bc it seems most ppl are happy, they got their singalong pop songs, they got to finish with one of the shortest sets of the tour, and that is just great intuition. All the feel from the crowd (though good, not great) indicated that what was needed to be done. So if they sang the other 5 songs for the few...it wouldn't changed the dynamic of the show. Gotta appreciate that intuition.
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
  • SB62034SB62034 Posts: 34
    I've read 3 of the 6 pages of Charlotte reviews, comparisons, praise, and what I'll refrain from calling "complaints" but I guess disappointment. But some have nailed it with one word:

Perspective. Sure everyone has certain songs they want to hear or could do without, myself included.

I have the "long time, no see" perspective. Last show(s): Gorge 2006(both nights). So the bar was set high, and I didn't expect anything like those 2 shows in Charlotte. I don't expect to ever see a PJ show like those again...

But I'm still gonna go every chance I get. Like most of their music I have a new appreciation for the new album after hearing it live. Always better. I literally got chills when I listened to Pendulum in the car today!

I did check out the C'ville set list, so i was bummed when I saw they had played Release, as I guessed they wouldn't play it on this night....but then I just got excited talking to fans around me about what we hoped for and guessed they'd play...

That being said, I had one my best overall experiences for my 11th show: 3 rows off the rail, right on front of Mike!!!!!!!! He seemed to have plenty of energy...from my perspective ;) It was a privilege watching him play up close, esp when he gets in that zone, closes his eyes, really tunes in and PLAYS THE LIVING FUCK OUT OF HIS GUITARS!

I'm so grateful to have finally seen them again...the last few songs aren't necessarily the ones I'd have put on a setlist, but aren't those surprises and constant change(part of) what we all love about Pearl Jam and keep us coming back, show after show after show?!?!?

Pendulum=Chills. Thank you Pearl Jam.

And of course, one PS: People, THINK about what a guitar pick is: A rounded triangular piece of plastic. Chill the £#%{ out!!!!!
    Indianapolis '98
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Detroit
    Cleveland '03
    2006: Denver 7/2,7/3, Gorge 7/22, 7/23
    Charlotte '13
    2016: Jacksonville, Greeneville, Columbia
  • Here's a thought...
    Charlotte has had a lot of stupidity over noise from live music and concerts over the last couple years. The downtown hotels made a bunch of noise over their guests being disturbed and they made an 11 pm noise ordinance. Perhaps they were told we are turning the lights on at 11 pm and you are done... If it was me I would be in a less than happy mood. That could also explain the changes in the set list. They had problems here in 1996 with the fire Marshall and maybe they haven't forgotten? Perhaps we should be grateful they came out and gave us all they could, in the time they were given. "Nothing is as it Seems"...
  • Vytis33Vytis33 Posts: 184
    Thought the setlist had a great flow to it last night. Would've loved something different in that Bee Girl spot but now I'm just being picky. Like people that comment on ONLY 30 songs. Shit, there ain't many bands that do that anymore. Enjoy it!

Also, brought two first timers and they are hooked. Best concert experience of their lives according to them.
  • curly wrote:
    great post mclain....
    specially how you noted...

And, it's worked well.

I've had so many mixed feelings over the years about the forum...
    and it can most def affect your views and outcomes of the shows we get to see...
    ...its kinda like your "take your bad with your good" ol saying...
    I love most everything the 10club has to offer, so i'll be with them til the end....
    but its tough reading reviews of "the best night of your life"....when others are down playing it...

As we all know...pj has some of the best fans/people in the world following them...
    and a many of them are on the forum...and just as many have never logged on or read a single post...

Great tour so far guys....keep it up and cant wait to hear the boots....

curly

mclain13 wrote:
    TUTMAN08 wrote:

And, it's worked well.
    I logged on, because I had an amazing time last night and was bummed I couldn't get out of work to see the Charlottesville show, so I wanted to read about how stupid I was for not taking that day off too.
    Of course, I've found out I missed out big time.
    But, coming to this thread, I've again been reminded why I stay away...
    TUTMAN08 helped to redeem the thread. Thanks!
    Last night, I caught myself wondering, how much longer do we have...how much longer will Ed have the pipes...
    It made last night more precious to me and it made me think, I better start going to more shows!
    Don't get me wrong. It's not around the corner.
    But, time moves fast.
    And, for anyone who has kids (I have 3 boys), you know this is true.
    Before we know it, songs like Spin The Black Circle won't be possible and it won't stop there...slowly they will have to move to lower key songs and while I will continue to see them until the end, the dynamic will absolutely change.
    For this reason, last night was an amazing show for me...AMAZING!

great post mclain....& curly

you guys hit the nail on the head. I've posted here of & on for a long time & so many people just slam me for just simple things like typing a post with all caps or misspelling a word totally missing the point of my post.Little do they know i'm a quadriplegic & type with a pencil

And sometimes it's hard to not get your feelings hurt by unknown people & just want to slam them back.

I read the new york city post just to see what they played there, & if i had read the c-ville post because their not going to do play every song you want to hear I know not to get disappointing because they played longer or different songs the night before look we got a song that no one else heard but the people that were there. I dont even want to know what 5 songs were cut, IT DOES NOT MATTER! & if it really does bother you that much so what?

I got to see my favorite band play live,they rocked it like I knew they would & THATS ALL THAT SHOULD MATTER.

I just wish everyone could see your 2 posts thank you for expressing what i've always wanted to but never could put the words together like you 2 did, thanks again

plus I got to sit next to Tony Stewart so that was just extra icing on a great cake
  • We try to take in one show per tour, so this was our one. In a way, I'm glad to not be a bit jaded from seeing the band so many times that I would even think to refer to a PJ show as "average". That show fuckin' rocked last night. 8-)

BTW, while waiting at the airport in Charlotte this morning, we ran into another Wisconsinite who was on his way home from the show too. He got Ed's wine bottle! Way cool!
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • FE55353FE55353 Posts: 65
    I thought last night was an amazing show. Every time I hear the band they have a tighter sound. I have listened to boots of my first 2 shows in 98 and the missed lyrics then compared to now have shown me how much better they are now.

As for the show, it was the only concert where the house lights were on before the end of the show. Charlotte must have an 11pm cutoff. The band played 1 or 2 more songs after they came on. I had never heard Bee Girl or All Along the Watchtower. Awesome surprises. The show had a mellow vibe with some scorching rockers. I think RVM should be played at every show and if Ed is reading this, it would be the song to play for a divorce.

I love this band and have no expectations of what the setlist should be or how the crowd should react. It is hard to match my energy and passion for the music and I don't expect everyone does. I thought the roof was going to come off the arena during Alive, never have felt that energy before.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Can't wait for the next tour. :D
    "If you are listening to this bootleg in Alaska, open the front door." Eddie Vedder 10/8/00

Alpine Valley: 6/26/98, 10/8/00, 6/21/03, 9/3/11 Target Center: 6/30/98
    Summerfest: 6/30/06 Music Midtown: 9/22/12 Wrigley Field: 7/19 & 7/20/13, 8/20/16
    Charlotte: 10/30/13
    Greenville: 4/16/16, Columbia 4/21/16, Wrigley Field: 8/20/2016
    Pinkpop: 6/18/2022
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    2 words...Stone's Tits!!!!! :lol:
  • GeoScottGeoScott Posts: 151
    Since there have been quite a few posts about how terrible last nights show in Charlotte was, I suppose I shouldn't write about the absolutely incredible good time that I had. Or the way the sound moved me unlike any live show that I've ever attended.
    Memories of this show will bring me smiles for years and years to come, but only because I am naive or easily impressed 8-)
  • radial21radial21 Posts: 228
    4th and final show of the tour for me. I don't get some of the hate this show is getting. Sure it didn't have the set list of Charlottesville, and sure the crowd wasn't as good as philly 1 where I was at, but this was far from a bad show. The crowd here was on par with Pittsburgh and Baltimore from my perspective. While us die hard fans might appreciate the rarer songs, the majority of the Charlotte crowd was into the hits so I think the band fed off that and gave them what they wanted. Despite what most would consider a hits/singalong show, I still got to see some of my all time favorites in immortality, not for you, last exit, off he goes, and others. We saw the live debut of getaway, which was awesome by the way and got a great crowd response. The guys gave it their all and were on point as always and that's all I can ask as a fan.

It wasn't as good as philly 1, but it wasn't worse than my other 2 shows this tour of Pittsburgh and baltimore. I'd say based on the reactions that this show is going to be underrated when looked back upon.

This was the end of a fantastic 20 day run of 4 shows for me. I've now seen 21 shows dating back to 2003 and this is without a doubt the best the band has ever sounded. If I could go to another show out west I'd be all over it. They are mixing up the sets like never before. I hope everyone steps back and just appreciates what's going on, and to all you people with upcoming shows just know how jealous I am of you.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    TheGossman wrote:
    I was so excited when I found out the band was finally coming back to Charlotte. Last nights show was great. The band didn't seem tired at all to me, especially Ed. I've seen over 40 shows but I've never been as close to Ed as I was last night. I've never noticed just how much the guy puts into every performance. He was up there sweating his ass off, giving it his all. Jeff seemed to be in a fantastic mood, smiling and laughing all night. My only complaint is all the cell phones in the pit, people texting and taking videos really annoys the shit out of me. I understand you paid for your ticket, but holding your phones up in the air to record an entire song is disrespectful, especially when you are blocking people's view. Can't wait for Dallas and OKC

I tried keeping the cell phone in the pocket as much as I could (only photos), but I will admit I recorded video on the final 90 seconds of "Porch" only because Ed was like ten feet away and that was a great moment. That being said there was one guy in my area who recorded video on damn near every song for the night. This happened to me at Soundgarden earlier this year in Atlanta, and it bugged the shit out of me as well. I try to keep it at a minimum even with pics and I'm sure people get bugged whenever I do, but I will never try to record an entire show.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
    lol, fanviews are perspectives. wow, that required an explanation.

fanviews=perspective=subjective=there is no right answer as long as it logically makes sense

but according to the charlotte fanview section you can only give your view of the clt show if it was an extremely positive experience. failure to heed this advice may hurt the sensitive feelings of others about "their" show. If you loved the show and had the best experience of your life----great man, I hope so that is the point of going. If that is how you feel, who cares what someone else feels? Seems pretty weak to allow a message board opinion distort your own experience.

I gotta tell ya, I looked thru the previous threads and I don't see any "hate" about the show. just honest fanviews. you all are becoming like some religious fanatics with this type of closed mindedness. no one said the show sucked. most pointed out the band looked drained----if any of you fanatics were in CVille---you would understand our "perspective" a little better i think.

freaking Charlottesville man....what a freakin show...I still can't get over how badass it was:) oh, wrong fanview...am I going to PJ hell now?
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
  • Fanviews are subjective, people, please keep this in mind. I posted a short review earlier, this is my long review for personal closure. :P

I went into Charlotte with moderately high expectations and good vibes. I liked the outside of the arena, the inside looked nice, staff was friendly, and I was content with with my 10C seats. All was good to begin, but I could tell after Pendulum the night was most likely going to decline. To be frank, the overall crowd was average at best and the section around me was terrible. I mean that, absolutely terrible. They stood there like trees, texted on their phones, talked very loudly to one another about 70% of the show (only shut up during Betterman so they could sing), and to beat it all...someone kept farting! It smelled horrible. :fp:

The acoustics were a bit muddy (I was in section 103, so not in the nosebleeds by any stretch) and I thought the volume from the band was way too low. During Off He Goes, I couldn't hear Ed because the asses around me were talking so loud. The setlist was ok. It had so much potential to be a really good set, but after Ed saw how much the crowd only responded to greatest hits or sing alongs; that's the route he rightfully took. I don't blame him, but as a result the encores were lacking and some of the best songs were marked off in turn.

Being at Charlottesville the night before, I can tell you how different the crowds were, how much more energetic the band sounded in Cville compared to Charlotte, and how muddy the acoustics are in the Time Warner compared to the John Paul Jones. The crowd and the band in Cville were on fire and such good spirits. Charlotte found a slightly tired band from the night before and a crowd that was huge in size but relatively small in energy. Overall, the band did sound tight, and many great songs were played. Immortality was a nice rendition and Off He Goes was great from what I could hear over the people around me talking.

I can narrow this down to 2 principles. On a bootleg, the show will hold up moderately well. But looking at what was taken off the set and having the band play for a shorter length of time when no curfew has been reported points towards the band giving the greatest hits crowd what it wanted and left as soon as they could. Was it a phoned in performance? No. But it was a terrible environment I was in, and I truly question whether the band gave it their all. In Charlottesville, there was no question about it. If you went to Charlotte and had fun, I couldn't be happier for you and I could see why you would enjoy the show if you were in a decent part of the crowd. But I have mixed feelings for the reasons aforementioned.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    TheGossman wrote:

I tried keeping the cell phone in the pocket as much as I could (only photos), but I will admit I recorded video on the final 90 seconds of "Porch" only because Ed was like ten feet away and that was a great moment. That being said there was one guy in my area who recorded video on damn near every song for the night. This happened to me at Soundgarden earlier this year in Atlanta, and it bugged the shit out of me as well. I try to keep it at a minimum even with pics and I'm sure people get bugged whenever I do, but I will never try to record an entire show.

I just don't get it man. Its not only disrespectful to fans that are behind you but also to the band. I saw people in the 3rd row texting, I'm just like, come on, give me your spot if you would rather stare at your phone.
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
    Fanviews are subjective, people, please keep this in mind. I posted a short review earlier, this is my long review for personal closure. :P

I went into Charlotte with moderately high expectations and good vibes. I liked the outside of the arena, the inside looked nice, staff was friendly, and I was content with with my 10C seats. All was good to begin, but I could tell after Pendulum the night was most likely going to decline. To be frank, the overall crowd was average at best and the section around me was terrible. I mean that, absolutely terrible. They stood there like trees, texted on their phones, talked very loudly to one another about 70% of the show (only shut up during Betterman so they could sing), and to beat it all...someone kept farting! It smelled horrible. :fp:

The acoustics were a bit muddy (I was in section 103, so not in the nosebleeds by any stretch) and I thought the volume from the band was way too low. During Off He Goes, I couldn't hear Ed because the asses around me were talking so loud. The setlist was ok. It had so much potential to be a really good set, but after Ed saw how much the crowd only responded to greatest hits or sing alongs; that's the route he rightfully took. I don't blame him, but as a result the encores were lacking and some of the best songs were marked off in turn.

Being at Charlottesville the night before, I can tell you how different the crowds were, how much more energetic the band sounded in Cville compared to Charlotte, and how muddy the acoustics are in the Time Warner compared to the John Paul Jones. The crowd and the band in Cville were on fire and such good spirits. Charlotte found a slightly tired band from the night before and a crowd that was huge in size but relatively small in energy. Overall, the band did sound tight, and many great songs were played. Immortality was a nice rendition and Off He Goes was great from what I could hear over the people around me talking.

I can narrow this down to 2 principles. On a bootleg, the show will hold up moderately well. But looking at what was taken off the set and having the band play for a shorter length of time when no curfew has been reported points towards the band giving the greatest hits crowd what it wanted and left as soon as they could. Was it a phoned in performance? No. But it was a terrible environment I was in, and I truly question whether the band gave it their all. In Charlottesville, there was no question about it. If you went to Charlotte and had fun, I couldn't be happier for you and I could see why you would enjoy the show if you were in a decent part of the crowd. But I have mixed feelings for the reasons aforementioned.

Blasphemy! j/k

Interesting that your detailed description is right on par with what I would say. I think most of us who went to Cville agree. It would be hard not to after that experience. Really, the only thing that could have made it better would maybe be a front row rail location in Clt. But even then, I would take a reserved seat, even public on sale to be part of the Cville show than be on the rail in Clt. And just so everyone understands...it wasn't just about the setlist in Cville---the whole experience was out of this world. They have to start playing smaller/better acoustic venues so we can have more shows like Cville. It is a win-win.

It was so obvious compared to the previous nite they were wiped. But hey, these guys are so badass that most ppl would never know. Like I said before, how could they not be. No one can be that high (trust me, we were flying) without coming down.

Btw, I just rolled out my Cville poster and my Wife and I studied it a bit. It is awesome and has an awesome message...it has to be the best of the tour. Should have bought two of those instead of Clt (i only bought two bc it was my 20th).
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
  • Pitts still has the best poster IMO. I agree though, the CVille poster is badass and has a very important message. It addresses the question of educating ones self, our obsessions, and the question of free will. Charlottes poster is eye candy, but not much to sink your teeth into. I slightly prefer CVille poster over Charlotte.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    TheGossman wrote:
    TheGossman wrote:

I just don't get it man. Its not only disrespectful to fans that are behind you but also to the band. I saw people in the 3rd row texting, I'm just like, come on, give me your spot if you would rather stare at your phone.

I'm with you, but in that case I just have to shrug it off as people who were probably dragged along by the person they're with who is there to see the show. At least that's what I hope.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,463
    Not to keep harping on what a drag Charlotte was... but...

The setlist was pretty damn good. I was on the floor. Went up to get a beer at 8PM (a good one, no schwag) and I never got close. By 820, I hightailed it back to make the opener, still thirsty. Once Sirens started, I asked the guy next to me how the beer line was. He said fine. I went up cuz I was thirsty as hell. 4th show, I can miss Sirens. Well, I missed Sirens, Setting Forth, Not For You and I finally said screw it as soon as Immortality started because I hadn't heard it on the tour yet. I was very annoyed.

This is obviously not the fault of PJ, but that arena SUCKS. Sound wise...beer wise and how about the damn line to get in? It was crazy.

Anyway, the show was better than 98% of any concert I've ever seen in my life. But I was lucky enough to be at both Phlllys and GA in C'ville. Comparatively, this was weakest. But it was for a lot of reasons, not just that the band was a bit spent (me too). I'm just saying that the whole venue was poorly done. Wells Fargo and JPJ are far superior in a lot of different ways. It will be interesting to see if they come back soon to Charlotte.
  • CapstonerCapstoner Posts: 727
    Thanks Tenclub for the great seats!! Good review from CLT http://co.vrvm.com/charlotte/pm_101754/ ... d=zgzgZUeH
    Atlanta 92
    Columbia 08
    Atlanta 12
    Charlotte 13
    St Louis 14
    Greenville 16
    St Louis 22
    Seattle 24
  • Great show as always, my first and only of the tour. I felt the early part of the set was a little disjointed and a bit sloppy; Ed's lyrics werent really synced with the band, it seemed. Last Exit felt a little out of place but Present Tense was awesome, one of favorite tunes and I was thrilled to hear it. And while I enjoy the mid set acoustic sit down, it kind of throws off the momentum of the show. All in all a great gig though. Decent seats (114, row N seats, closer to the aisle nearest the stage) and had great neighbors. Getaway's live debut was awesome and for the most part, all the new songs sounded really really good.
    Signed,
    Play the South
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • My only show this tour. Thanks Pearl Jam and 10C for the sweet tix. I don't care what anyone says... The band was tight last night and I loved every second.

As for the crowd in GA section. Tame, polite, and having fun.
  • The acoustics were outstanding in the 2nd row

Freaking awesome show, this after having endured the GA pit in Amsterdam, Wrigley, and even to a part the HUGE crowd in Atlanta last fall.

Finally seeing Immortality (I just about flipped my shit when I heard the intro)
    Getaway for the first time
    Stone's tits

Running into people I've met over the years, meeting new ones, it's all good.

I feel like I got the shit beat out of me today, and I love it!

I agree with the person who said they wonder how much longer there will be. When people (namely family and friends) ask why I would want to see one band 3 or 4 times in a year, I tell them that we are all getting older and it will only go on for so long, and when I was younger I couldn't afford to see a show, let alone many. So, now that I can afford it, and have the added benefit of working for an airline with other benefits, fuck it, I'm gonna see as many shows as possible without pushing my wife to the divorce attorney!

Was last night awesome? 2 words:

FUCK YEAH!!!!

Can't wait for Dallas and OKC in a couple of weeks.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • raivoraivo Posts: 49
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but if anyone has a spare poster from Charlotte show, please PM me. Can't believe that of all the shows I didn't get a poster from this. Thanks.
  • I don't want to compare how good or bad a show is. Idealistic as it sounds, that would be like putting a rating on the love this band shares with us. The last thing I want from a love is for it to be quantified.

"I pull you close, so much to lose, knowing that nothing lasts forever." I'm getting old; we all are. I held and felt every note and gave everything in me that is true in return. I had such an immediate experience being in the pit. Odds are that I'll never be that close again. It's everything I could wish for. That Charlotte music is in me and my heart is still on fire.

I can see wanting that fire to continue, but I don't understand buying fan club tickets to multiple shows when these tics are so limited. It directly takes away that intimate experience from another fan. I really don't understand it, if the purpose is to compare shows and generate satisfaction from having attended the "best" show.