Options

NBA Thread now in 2015

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,245
    mrussel1 said:

pjhawks said:

mrussel1 said:

At one point Lbj scored or assisted on 27 straight points. How can anyone say he isn't an all time great? He had been unreal this series.

i don't think anyone has said that. Lebron wasn't great early in the series but has been unreal the last two games.

I don't think the Warriors got a favorable whistle last night but don't think it had much to do with the outcome. I just hope game 7 comes down to the wire.
    No one here but lots of people do. Start with Skip Bayless
    Skip Bayless is an utter clown whose job is to take a contrarian view to start an argument.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

He's one of the best to ever play the game. You guys realize "best player on the floor" and "most valuable player" are two different things right?

Hell of a game 5, no doubt. Doing his part in getting Green suspended certainly helped as he had no problems driving to the basket. But I don't think he played very well in the first two games (9/21 and 7/17 are not good shooting percentages at all).

Let's see what happens next.

Take Lebron off the cavs and they aren't a playoff team. Take Klay or Curran off GS, and they're still the best team in the west. That's what an MVP is.
    You think if they remove the reigning two time MVP, the Warriars are still the best team in the league?

Ha
    Yes. Very minimum they'd be a 3 seed. Still, the cavs wouldn't even be a playoff team without lebron.
    no.
    Yes
    Can you explain how he unanimously won the mvp two years in a row? Seems to directly contradict your entire argument.
    My argument is that Lebron, regardless of the outcome of the series, is the finals MVP. He is leading both teams in every offensive category. I don't disagree that steph is one of the best shooters of all time. I dont disagree with him winning the MVP award. But what is the MVP? Is it the most valuable player? Or is it best player in the league that year? There's a difference. And in my opinion, if you ask the question "how good is this team if he wasn't playing'" you will see who really is the most valuable.

For example, you could argue that Peyton manning could have won the MVP his last season with the colts. With Peyton, the Colts were a super bowl contender. Without peyton, they got the first overall pick the next year.

I also think that Lebron jumps into Michael Jordan status if the cavs win this series.
    umm no. I think he gets into Magic and Bird territory with a win but still needs work to get to Jordan in my opinion.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    pjhawks said:

He's one of the best to ever play the game. You guys realize "best player on the floor" and "most valuable player" are two different things right?

Hell of a game 5, no doubt. Doing his part in getting Green suspended certainly helped as he had no problems driving to the basket. But I don't think he played very well in the first two games (9/21 and 7/17 are not good shooting percentages at all).

Take Lebron off the cavs and they aren't a playoff team. Take Klay or Curran off GS, and they're still the best team in the west. That's what an MVP is.
    You think if they remove the reigning two time MVP, the Warriars are still the best team in the league?

Ha
    Yes. Very minimum they'd be a 3 seed. Still, the cavs wouldn't even be a playoff team without lebron.
    no.
    Yes
    Can you explain how he unanimously won the mvp two years in a row? Seems to directly contradict your entire argument.
    My argument is that Lebron, regardless of the outcome of the series, is the finals MVP. He is leading both teams in every offensive category. I don't disagree that steph is one of the best shooters of all time. I dont disagree with him winning the MVP award. But what is the MVP? Is it the most valuable player? Or is it best player in the league that year? There's a difference. And in my opinion, if you ask the question "how good is this team if he wasn't playing'" you will see who really is the most valuable.

For example, you could argue that Peyton manning could have won the MVP his last season with the colts. With Peyton, the Colts were a super bowl contender. Without peyton, they got the first overall pick the next year.

I also think that Lebron jumps into Michael Jordan status if the cavs win this series.
    umm no. I think he gets into Magic and Bird territory with a win but still needs work to get to Jordan in my opinion.
    Nobody is a bigger fan of Jordan or the Bulls than I was in the 90s. No, LeBron isn't 6 for 6 in the finals. But hes gone to 6 straight and won 3 of them. That's an elite class. I didn't say he was better, just that he can be talked about in the same class as jordan.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,722

pjhawks said:

Ha
    no.
    Yes

Nobody is a bigger fan of Jordan or the Bulls than I was in the 90s. No, LeBron isn't 6 for 6 in the finals. But hes gone to 6 straight and won 3 of them. That's an elite class. I didn't say he was better, just that he can be talked about in the same class as jordan.
    Exactly. Who cares who is better. They are both the player of their generation. They are both a joy to watch. Jordan was more of a killer but Lbj is much more rounded of a player. He's also MUCH better off the court. Just enjoy what we have here! I just get annoyed when people disparage Lebron. I hated him in Miami of course. But I never pretended he wasn't the best in the game.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,487

igotid88 said:

Ha
    Yea. I think Klay is more valuable
    Ha.....wait, seriously?......what are you basing this on?

What is your argument (other than you don't like Steph)?

I don't don't like Steph. I just think Klay doesn't get as much credit
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

pjhawks said:

Ha
    no.
    Yes

Exactly. Who cares who is better. They are both the player of their generation. They are both a joy to watch. Jordan was more of a killer but Lbj is much more rounded of a player. He's also MUCH better off the court. Just enjoy what we have here! I just get annoyed when people disparage Lebron. I hated him in Miami of course. But I never pretended he wasn't the best in the game.
    Much better off the court?
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

pjhawks said:

Ha
    no.
    Yes

No gambling issues for one. And Jordan wasn't known for his charitable works (not saying he didn't do any, but it wasn't something people discussed). LBJ, by contrast, does so much for the city of Akron which is a very tough, depressed area. His foundation is pivotal in the community and for St Vincent St Mary. He puts in so much of his personal time in for the kids too. It's not just the money.

This is a kid that was on Sports Illustrated cover as a junior. He's been in the spotlight since day one. Yet he is married to his HS sweetheart with three kids. The guy has been an outstanding citizen despite the enormous pressure. He lives up to the standard that the Beebs has set for everyone.

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

pjhawks said:

Ha
    no.
    Yes

No gambling issues for one. And Jordan wasn't known for his charitable works (not saying he didn't do any, but it wasn't something people discussed). LBJ, by contrast, does so much for the city of Akron which is a very tough, depressed area. His foundation is pivotal in the community and for St Vincent St Mary. He puts in so much of his personal time in for the kids too. It's not just the money.

This is a kid that was on Sports Illustrated cover as a junior. He's been in the spotlight since day one. Yet he is married to his HS sweetheart with three kids. The guy has been an outstanding citizen despite the enormous pressure. He lives up to the standard that the Beebs has set for everyone.

Now that's something I did not know and that is that he was on the cover of SI as a junior. That's some pressure to live up to for sure, that said I STILL will pick the Warriors to the title. Winning three games in a row is just too much to overcome.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

pjhawks said:

Ha
    no.
    Yes

I thought you may go to the gambling. Really irrelevant when you're comparing the basketball. It's like saying Ty Cobb isn't one of the best hitters ever because he was a racist.
  • Options
    seanwonseanwon Posts: 291
    pjhawks said:

Ha
    no.
    Yes

In my opinion there is nothing he can do to get in Jordan's status. 6 for 6 with 6 Finals MVP's just can't be beat. But he has already surpassed Magic and Bird I think. Magic and Bird both lost multiple Finals, and they had far superior talent around them than Lebron has had for most of his career.

1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

pjhawks said:

Ha
    no.
    Yes

I thought you may go to the gambling. Really irrelevant when you're comparing the basketball. It's like saying Ty Cobb isn't one of the best hitters ever because he was a racist.
    That's why I distinguished it as off the court.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,754
    seanwon said:

pjhawks said:

Ha
    no.
    Yes

In my opinion there is nothing he can do to get in Jordan's status. 6 for 6 with 6 Finals MVP's just can't be beat. But he has already surpassed Magic and Bird I think. Magic and Bird both lost multiple Finals, and they had far superior talent around them than Lebron has had for most of his career.

I don't subscribe to that "6 for 6 can't be beat" notion. Say hypothetically that Lebron wins six championships. I think being 6 for 9 in the finals would be far more impressive than 6 for 6. Like I feel Tom Brady being 4-2 in the Super Bowl beats Terry Bradshaw's 4-0 because he got there more. You don't just magically appear in the championship. You have to earn your way there and it's hard (well maybe not for Lebron in what is the shitty Eastern Conference of the 21st century. THAT would be my nit-pick against all of Lebron's Finals appearances). But to say that a winning percentage of 1.000 in the championship round can't be beat isn't necessarily true in my option.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
  • Options
    seanwon said:

pjhawks said:

Ha
    no.
    Yes

yea but look at the teams Bird and Magic lost to. I mean Magic lost to Bird's Celtics (Bird, McHale, Parish Hall of Famers), Isiah's Pistons, the Sixers (with Malone and Erving) and Jordan's Bulls. Bird lost to the Lakers twice (Magic, Kareem's, Worthy). The teams Bird and Magic had to beat were far superior to today's teams. I mean just look at the number of top 25-30 all time talents Bird and Magic had to get past to win titles. Lebron's competition isn't close to that in my opinion.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    That Kimmel bit is some funny shit!
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

seanwon said:

pjhawks said:

Ha
    no.
    Yes

yea but look at the teams Bird and Magic lost to. I mean Magic lost to Bird's Celtics (Bird, McHale, Parish Hall of Famers), Isiah's Pistons, the Sixers (with Malone and Erving) and Jordan's Bulls. Bird lost to the Lakers twice (Magic, Kareem's, Worthy). The teams Bird and Magic had to beat were far superior to today's teams. I mean just look at the number of top 25-30 all time talents Bird and Magic had to get past to win titles. Lebron's competition isn't close to that in my opinion.
    You don't think this Golden State team is comparable to the great Celtics, Lakers and Bulls?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

pjhawks said:

seanwon said:

pjhawks said:

Ha
    no.
    Yes

You don't think this Golden State team is comparable to the great Celtics, Lakers and Bulls?
    No. The game in the 80s and 90s was much different. I believe Jordan's Bulls would route GS.
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

pjhawks said:

seanwon said:

pjhawks said:

Ha
    no.
    Yes

No. The game in the 80s and 90s was much different. I believe Jordan's Bulls would route GS.
    Depends on the rule set in my opinion. Those teams were built on the way the game was officiated. It was tough, physical and an inside-out game. Now it's the opposite.
  • Options
    2 court side seats for Sunday's game 7 sold for $49,500 EACH. The most paid for a non-suite ticket in stubhubs 16 year history.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Both teams have 610 points each through 6 games
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

Both teams have 610 points each through 6 games

Wow. That's a good stat.

BTW, the LBJ point or assist streak was 35/36 last night.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

pjhawks said:

seanwon said:

pjhawks said:

Ha
    no.
    Yes

not quite, Celtics had 3 sure Fire Hall of Famers pretty much in their prime, Lakers had 3 sure fire Hall of Famers and 2 of the top 10 players of all time, and the Bulls had 2 of the top 20-25 players of all time both in their prime together.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,370
    edited June 2016

igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

Ha

Okay that makes sense. But saying he doesn't get as much credit is a lot different than saying he is more valuable than Curry.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,065
    I'm kinda rooting for the Cavs now only cause i feel bad for their city. :confounded:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

Ha

Okay that makes sense. But saying he doesn't get as much credit is a lot different than saying he is more valuable than Curry.

I think Klay is more valuable than Curry. Klay's ability to defend PGs in today's NBA is invaluable. Curry can't do it. I'd rather give up 7 points on offense and take 10 away from their guard.
  • Options
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,370
    edited June 2016
    mrussel1 said:

igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

Ha

I think Klay is more valuable than Curry. Klay's ability to defend PGs in today's NBA is invaluable. Curry can't do it. I'd rather give up 7 points on offense and take 10 away from their guard.
    --------
    Yeah I hear on the defensive stuff but Steph's per is 31.86 while Klay is at 18.67.

That is 1st in the NBA and 55th respectively. In this case, the much greater offensive contributions outweigh the defense from Klay by a significant margin.

edit--and the quoting here is just dreadful.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

Ha

--------
    Yeah I hear on the defensive stuff but Steph's per is 31.86 while Klay is at 18.67.

That is 1st in the NBA and 55th respectively. In this case, the much greater offensive contributions outweigh the defense from Klay by a significant margin.

edit--and the quoting here is just dreadful.

You're right on the reg season numbers. But there's something weird going on with the Warriors. Did they play harder than everyone else in the regular season? Did teams not play tough defense therefore Steph was able to do his cutting without much grabbing or people really working hard through screens? One thing is for sure, imo, Klay is better suited for the physical nature of the playoffs. He doesn't seem to be taking teh beating like Steph is.

My favorite photo from the other night (other than Lebron asking Curry 'who's a bitch?'
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    Even though I'm picking the GSW to win tonight still doesn't the Cavs surge reminds fans of the determination of the 2014 Spurs. There just was no denying them upon a return championship series against the Heat. We shall see tonight.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,601
    Let's do it Cavs!!!!!!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..