Options

OFFICIAL LB Vinyl Condition Thread

Comments

• Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Sealed?? Figures. That always happens to me. When I buy anything, I see it way cheaper shortly after, but never once before I bought it. :(

Oh don't worry, this was just an incredibly lucky find, nothing more. Should have been $300+
    Intelligence is the key and she was locked out

Let's Just Pop a Few Yards of Bubble Wrap and Call It a Day!

Don't Die Wondering

• Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    Mine just arrived. No problems with shipping. No creases, bends or gatefold splits. Vinyl seems to be in good condition. No problems with Side A, but there five very noticeable pops on Side B (one at the beginning of Pendulum and four in a row during Swallowed Whole). That is all really so I guess I kinda lucked out compared to others.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Sealed?? Figures. That always happens to me. When I buy anything, I see it way cheaper shortly after, but never once before I bought it. :( And honestly, that damage to mine really bothers me a lot every time I pull it out. It's mangled ... If i see it sealed at $180, I just might buy it again.

dinged corners? i don't think there are too many copies without that honestly, the shipping of records has been an issue forever from 10C and i don't think many made it in great shape.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    RS146614RS146614 Dallas, Texas Posts: 54
    anyone order from Amazon? I was just notified mine shipped and will arrive in next 1-2 days. Curious if quality/issues will be the same.
    Dallas, TX 11-12-1993 | Austin, TX 09-16-1995 | Dallas, TX 07-05-1998 | The Woodlands, TX 10-15-2000 | Dallas, TX 10-17-2000 | Camden, NJ 07-05-2003 | Las Vegas, NV 07-06-2006 | Honolulu, HI 12-09-2006 | Chicago, IL 08-05-2007 | New York, NY 05-21-2010 | Dallas, TX 11-15-2013 | OKC, OK 11-16-2013 | Tulsa, OK 10-09-2014
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    choop wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Sealed?? Figures. That always happens to me. When I buy anything, I see it way cheaper shortly after, but never once before I bought it. :( And honestly, that damage to mine really bothers me a lot every time I pull it out. It's mangled ... If i see it sealed at $180, I just might buy it again.

dinged corners? i don't think there are too many copies without that honestly, the shipping of records has been an issue forever from 10C and i don't think many made it in great shape.
    :lol: No, not dinged corners. I wish!! The thing is MANGLED. The FULL corners right to the edge of the vinyl are completely crushed and squashed and folded backwards. Even the vinyl itself is bent, but luckily it still plays okay. I order a lot of vinyl, and this kind of damage can only happen if the sender really fucks up the packaging, which this guy did... Get this: He sent is in a padded envelope!! No box at all!! :fp: :fp: I saw photos before he mailed it and it was perfect.
    But I order a lot of vinyl, and I hardly ever get them with ANY damage whatsoever, including from 10C. I've never actually even had dinged corners or anything like that from 10C, and very rarely from anyone else either.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BrainOfMABrainOfMA Posts: 553
    I must be one of the lucky ones. The cover and packaging was pristine, no problems. The vinyl was good except for a couple small pops. I cleaned it and played it again and could barely notice the pops. I highly recommend any vinyl enthusiast a Mobile Fidelity record brush.
    2013 : London, Buffalo
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    PJ_Soul wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pearl-Jam-Avoca ... 27d9059408

I don't think it's sealed, but make him an offer..... $20 shipping tho
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I lhaven't listened to the second side yet, but only heard a few pops on side 1. I don't think the general sound quality on this is that good. It just sounds very compressed and kind've muddy to me. Any thoughts on this?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Got mine today. There's some popping in the first 30 seconds of Pendulum, not much, but it's there, & then again throughout the whole first half of Future Days. And then in the last 30 seconds, it gets really loud & crackly. Everything else sounds perfect. No cracks, tears, or discoloration anywhere.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pearl-Jam-Avoca ... 27d9059408

I don't think it's sealed, but make him an offer..... $20 shipping tho
    Thank you! :):) But if I'm going to buy a SECOND one, it's going to have to be mint ... that one has a bit of damage on the open side.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:
    I lhaven't listened to the second side yet, but only heard a few pops on side 1. I don't think the general sound quality on this is that good. It just sounds very compressed and kind've muddy to me. Any thoughts on this?

No, I'm not impressed with the sound quality either. I'm just glad mine's not skipping or buzzing.
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,314
    So, I played one of my vinyls today and too noticed the popping. No sound distortion, humming, etc. however, I did notice that the record had a great deal of residue, grit on the surface. I cleaned the record, noticed tiny pieced of grit coming off. Afterwards, no more popping. Also, I peeled off two pieces one about 9" long, the other 4" from the edge of the vinyl. Seems the excess wax wasn't shaved off completely and the records might have dried leaving all these specs of dried vinyl in the grooves. So for those whose records pop, I suggest you clean the surface. Those that have the distortion will most likely need to be replaced.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Purchased through 10 Club pre-order in July. Arrived in Canton, OH today after going from Columbus to Buffalo to Warrendale, PA.

Only listened to side A so far... pops throughout the entire side. Skips in Getaway, My Father's Son, & Sirens. Will listen to side B later. As others have said, not very impressed with the sound quality but the popping and skipping certainly have something to do with that.
  • Options
    Arrived in NY. Highly disappointing. I can honestly say as far as sound quality and pressing defects it's one of the worst records I have heard in a long time. Pops throughout on both sides with the worst being during sirens and sleeping by myself. After close inspection the loudest pops are a result a deep scratches. I would say 25-30 pops on each side at least. I can honestly say I'd rather just listen to the CD. Sound quality is much fuller on the cd as well when usually it's the other way around on my system.
  • Options
    Received my copy today, well, four copies, one for me and three for friends. I opened one copy and played it and it sounds like shit. There are pops. There are scratches and dried wax on the record. The parts that didn't pop sound like crap.
  • Options
    mikerlmikerl Posts: 580
    I'm jealous of everyone that received their shitty vinyl today. Despite the tracking info, my shitty vinyl still is not here.
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • Options
    mikerlmikerl Posts: 580
    I'm jealous of everyone that received their shitty vinyl today. Despite the tracking info, my shitty vinyl still is not here.
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Received my copy today, well, four copies, one for me and three for friends. I opened one copy and played it and it sounds like shit. There are pops. There are scratches and dried wax on the record. The parts that didn't pop sound like crap.

Yup..The Lightning Bolt vinyl just sounds awful. The mp3s sound so much better. I put on the new head and the heart album right after listening to Lightning Bolt (same release date as Lightning Bolt, but I actually got it on time from that band's store) and the difference in sound quality is just like night and day. I think those of us that paid for the Lightning Bolt vinyl were ripped off. :thumbdown:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:

Yup..The Lightning Bolt vinyl just sounds awful. The mp3s sound so much better. I put on the new head and the heart album right after listening to Lightning Bolt (same release date as Lightning Bolt, but I actually got it on time from that band's store) and the difference in sound quality is just like night and day. I think those of us that paid for the Lightning Bolt vinyl were ripped off. :thumbdown:

Did the exact same thing followed by the Avett Brothers as well. Both Head and the Heart and Avett Brothers sounded much fuller, minimal to zero surface noise and you see to have to turn lightning bolt up much higher for the same volume level.
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:

Well I think they sound like that because there is something wrong with them... it's not like we're stuck with shitty sounding vinyl and they're not getting in vinyl that does sound good.... presumably. Obviously that is only an assumption because 10C isn't talking. My HOPE is that even the seemingly "undamaged" ones that still sound bad/quiet are also just fucked up copied. They are simply fucked up to a much lesser extent. If my vinyl doesn't actually sound GOOD compared to other decent sounding records, it's going back. Clearly, ANY surface noise means a faulty record. Any record that you have to turn up way up and is still not filling the room is faulty as well.
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Better Dan wrote:

Well I think they sound like that because there is something wrong with them... it's not like we're stuck with shitty sounding vinyl and they're not getting in vinyl that does sound good.... presumably. Obviously that is only an assumption because 10C isn't talking. My HOPE is that even the seemingly "undamaged" ones that still sound bad/quiet are also just fucked up copied. They are simply fucked up to a much lesser extent. If my vinyl doesn't actually sound GOOD compared to other decent sounding records, it's going back. Clearly, ANY surface noise means a faulty record. Any record that you have to turn up way up and is still not filling the room is faulty as well.

ok...i can't help it...I'm the curious type. Is there anyway someone could record these flaws, so that ppl like myself, who were lucky enough NOT to order it yet can hear what all the fuss is about?
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    77777777 Idaho Posts: 155
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    7777 wrote:
    Almost forgot, the cover and the vinyl looks like Powder got to it befor I did.
    Powder? .... The albino guy who channels radio waves and electricity or whatever?? :lol::lol:

Yes, him. :lol:
  • Options
    First day 10c pre-order received 10/21.
    The outside jacket is in very good (or better) condition. Very minor whitening (can't think of what else to call it) in the top right corner. Inside vinyl sleeve has a two inch tear where the vinyl punched through. Booklet is perfect. Stickers were a nice touch. No post card like others have reported.
    Now to the vinyl itself. Spun Side A and so far so good. Volume seems in line with other records I've listened to lately (Vault #3, She & Him, Live on Ten Legs). One piece of dried vinyl around the outside perimeter but doesn't effect playback. One smudge crossing multiple tracks but also didn't effect playback. No pops, skips or crackles.
    No chip crumbs or oily finger prints. My luck is not usually like this at all.
    I feel for everybody who has received faulty/defective records. I hope you all get some satisfaction from 10c on this for sure.
    After spinning Side B I may be updating my post to say something different about the playback.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Options
    jack cameronjack cameron Sydney Posts: 340
    Hmmmm I haven't received my LB vinyl yet, but my Vault #3 vinyl pops... :evil:

Anyone else's do that too?

(a little off topic, but wanted to see if I was alone in this...)
    Pearl Jam: 11/02/03 • 13/02/03 • 18/02/03 • 07/11/06 • 13/11/06 • 16/11/06 • 18/11/06 • 19/11/06 • 20/11/09 • 22/11/09 • 26/01/14
    Eddie Vedder: 15/03/11 • 16/03/11 • 18/03/11 • 19/03/11 • 11/02/14 • 12/02/14
  • Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    Got my 10c vinyl, first spin it popped some on sirens, second spin it skipped.
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    TheGhost wrote:
    Got my 10c vinyl, first spin it popped some on sirens, second spin it skipped.
    This is stupid. They should just send everyone who ordered them a new copy (once they have good copies), no questions asked. That seems way easier and way faster than dealing with it one by one.... It sounds like there are just WAY too many damaged or bad sounding for that kind of approach. Assuming the posts here fairly represent the ratio of problem-free albums to those with some kind of issue, it seems like at least 75% of them are fucked up in some way. :?
  • Options
    PettyHeadPettyHead Erie, PA Posts: 128
    Tinaninea wrote:
    Got mine today. There's some popping in the first 30 seconds of Pendulum, not much, but it's there, & then again throughout the whole first half of Future Days. And then in the last 30 seconds, it gets really loud & crackly. Everything else sounds perfect. No cracks, tears, or discoloration anywhere.

Same here, really no issues. About the same issues as you, most noticeable pops during Future Days. Not worth complaining about mine. Good luck to everyone else!
    1998 -Barrie, ON
    2003 -Cleveland
    2006 -Cleveland, Pittsburgh
    2007 -Lolla
    2008 -EV -Santa Cruz, PJ -DC
    2009 -EV -Baltimore I & II, PJ -Chicago I
    2010 -Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 -EV -Detroit, Bridge School I & II, PJ -Toronto
    2013 -Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - PJ - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Toronto I, Wrigley I & II, TOTD - MSG
    2017 - PJ - NYC - RRHOF Induction, EV - Nashville
    2018 - Wrigley I & II
    2022 - Hamilton, ON, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago I & II
    2024 - Baltimore
  • Options
    PettyHead wrote:
    Tinaninea wrote:

Same here, really no issues. About the same issues as you, most noticeable pops during Future Days. Not worth complaining about mine. Good luck to everyone else!
    Wow, you call that having no issues? Huh! I wish I were that easy to please! :lol:
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    received mine in chicago today and yep... same problems as everyone else.

poor packaging, corners all banged up, vinyl sounds and plays like shit. skips, pops, cracks. shame too, because it is really a lovely looking vinyl/package.

how can they fuck this up that badly? :fp: :fp:

and where is santos? not asking for him to announce a resolution just yet, but at least drop a "we hear you, we are aware, we are working on it, please be patient."
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040
    edited October 2013
    Just finished listening to my 10C vinyl(black vinyl), maybe a half dozen audible pops. Most of those on side 2. Nothing out of the ordinary, I will listen to this with headphones over the weekend. Some light swirl marks on the vinyl, maybe from the sleeve? The gatefold was perfect, all corners, the inner sleeve and liner notes, stickers are great! No postcard......boooo!!! I did receive a download card.

I did not clean the record, I did give it a good brushing. Will clean this weekend.

The vinyl did have unusually sharp edge.
    Post edited by BIGDaddyWil on
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit