Options

"Sirens" Single + Video

Comments

• Options
    love-boat-captainlove-boat-captain Essex. UK Posts: 476
    ^^^^ YES :)
    London 29-10-96, London 29/30-5-00, London 20-4-06, Reading 27-8-06, London 18-6-07, London 11-8-09, London 18-8-09, London 25-6-10, Berlin 30-6-10 / PJ20 3/4-9-11, Manchester 20-6-12, Amsterdam 26/27-6-12, EV-London 30/31-7-12, EV-Orlando 27-11-12
  • Options
    Kelly Leak wrote:
    tcadd94 wrote:
    Kelly Leak wrote:
    Do you think Nickleback will be filing a law suit for sound stealing? When does the next Batman movie come out? Will 'Sirens' be the title cut?

Ouch, that's pretty fucking harsh, hahaha.

It is simply a bad song. It will be played very, very little live.

Are you telling us all its a bad song? Or is that just your personal opinion?
    No need to answer!

HILERIOUS!!!!!!
    London 29-10-96, London 29/30-5-00, London 20-4-06, Reading 27-8-06, London 18-6-07, London 11-8-09, London 18-8-09, London 25-6-10, Berlin 30-6-10 / PJ20 3/4-9-11, Manchester 20-6-12, Amsterdam 26/27-6-12, EV-London 30/31-7-12, EV-Orlando 27-11-12
  • Options
    This song sounds like the musac that plays in an elevator. Maybe I am not listening to the same song the rest of you are listening to.

Try this experiment: Play Yield from start to finish, then listen to 'Sirens'. It doesn't even sound like the same band. This cut is straight up phone-in city.

I remember not too long ago, Eddie was talking about a popular band's music while on stage. The name of the band escapes me right now...He said that this bands music "...tastes like a popsicle up someone's ass..." I feel the same way about 'Sirens'
  • Options
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Stop it Kelly, too funny ;)

You should send the guys some of your songs, maybe they'd like to record them for the next album. ;)
  • Options
    ragejoeragejoe Agawam Mass Posts: 1,413
    mitchmuhs wrote:
    I got goosebumps hearing it for the first time. Is it more mainstream-ish... for sure, but that's fine with me as long as they feel passionate about what they're writing, and I don't think there's any question there is some passion in this song.

I'm not ready to say "this is better/worse than anything on *insert album.*" Let it breath a bit folks.

I hear every member of the band in this song, it sounds like they all had their hands on it. And Eds voice is heart-stopping.

I love it. It's gonna be stuck in my heard for a good long while and I can't wait to hear it live!

PS - comparisons to Black... maybe they're both painful songs about love lost, AND eventually the whole world will recognize this song too... but that's about all I see.

THANKS PJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya I agree about the passion and emotion thing.. AND If they want to make a MAIN STREAM song, fucking let them... im so sick of people who bitch about them sounding main stream... their the greatest American Rock band , they have been a band for 22 years they are one of the most respected bands in the world... and they are amazing to us their fans... ID take SIRENS over Sleight of HAND 100 out of 100 times... Sirens kind of gave me the same emotional feeling as Comeback and Just Breath... and at age 33 ( as of today! Happy bday to me! haha) and having a wife and a daughter... these songs give me hope and make me feel good

And demetrious said it right off the bat... MIKE IS GOING TO SHREAD THAT SOLO at the shows...

Love it... LETS GO 10.15
    1998 Tour- Hartford 9/13
    2000 Tour- Saratoga 8/27 Boston 8/29, 8/30
    2003 Tour- Albany 4/29 Boston 7/2,7/3,7/11 Philadelphia 7/5,7/6 MSG 7/8,7/9
    2004 Tour-
    Boston 9/28,9/29
    2006 Tour-
    Albany 5/12 Hartford 5/13 Boston 5/24,5/25
    2008 Tour-
    MSG 6/24,6/25 Hartford 6/27 Boston 6/28,6/30 Eddie- Boston 8/1
    2009 Tour-
    Eddie- Albany 6/9 Philly Spectrum- 10/30, 10/31
    2010 Tour-
    Hartford 5/15 MSG 5/20,5/21
    2011 Tour-
    Eddie- Hartford 6/18
    2013 Tour- Worcester,MA 10/15,10/16 Hartford 10/25
    2016 Tour- MSG 5/1,5/2 FENWAY 8/5,8/7
    2018 Tour- Fenway 9/2, 9/4 (My 40th show)!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    prism wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Kelly Leak wrote:

I will take a bet on that one. It's a boring pop ballad. This band made Black, Hail, Hail, Do the Evolution, Corduroy, Alive, Release, Even Flow, State of Love and Trust, etc...

'Sirens' is not a song that I will ever want to hear.
    I think it would really put a damper on a live show. It would be like having some other band come on stage in the middle of a concert, just for one song. I hope they know that.

betcha they know they have some very narrow-minded, egomanical fans that don't pass up any opportunity to iterate it :P
    What the fuck? :shock:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I've seen far more positive comments/reviews about it than negative. To each his own for certain, but it'll get played plenty this tour. Guaranteed.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited September 2013
    Jesus christ people. Why can't we all just voice our opinions without getting shit on for them??

Anyway, don't hate the song. Don't need to see it live, but probably will, which is fine. I'll live.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    'Cause this is a Cult.
  • Options
    This song's a sneaky bastard. I didn't like it at first (perhaps because of my worried anticipation about whether or not I WOULD like it). But the 2nd listen had me hooked.
    Thanks, guys, for another great song.

I also have to say that Mike's guitar may be the largest I've ever seen.
  • Options
    Noooooo, we all love each other. We're all just over excited for new music.

Come on let's all hug it out. xxxxx
  • Options
    evsgjamm wrote:
    I'm not gonna sugar coat it...I hate the arrangement, I may possibly hate the whole dang song. I'm keeping in mind many other songs I hated but then loved so I'm going to give it a few more listens.

Listened to it 3 times back to back already and I think each time I hated it more...(I don't remember ever hating a PJ song on the first listen this much) Reminds of like Meatloaf or something, I dunno it's wimpy sounding perhaps. I mean betterman has spikey balls compared to this. This just doesn't sound like a "PJ" song. Maybe I'll like it better live but I'm secretly hoping I don't get to hear it live now after hearing the video. I was excited when I heard the the title "sirens" sounded interestingly cool. I was imagining something like Lukin hahahha whoa was I off base...lol

Not a real big sinful thing to not like one song, they have hundreds of other greats so please don't hate on me for giving my opinion...I do think I like the lyrics and I know I like the Mc Creadsters solo in it so there are a few "bright spots" lol. I know I do however hate the piano part bigtime not the actual playing but it's insertion into this song.

Go ahead and tell me how crazy I am..I can take a beat down!

Don't be surprised if I love this song someday though, because that does happen with PJ cause I know live they could flip this thing into something totally different. It's gonna have to be a big flip!

OPEN ROAST :lol::lol:

Your post sounds like a whiny miley cyrus fan upset that she's now into licking hammers instead of making beaded wrist bands!

NEXT!!!!! :lol:

Not whining at all here...don't know how it came off as sounding whiny. PJ is a great band and that can never be changed no matter how many Bon Jovi songs they make from here on out. Bon Jovi sells out shows and has a huge following so PJ will do just fine with this sort of music if they choose to go this route.

I'm excited, overjoyed and thrilled for everyone that can enjoy this song, rock on, sway on, get your lighters out, whatever...
    I personally am just not into this sort of song at all and yes I do miss the cute innocent Miley Cyrus. I still rock all her old albums :D
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    this song should just keep on..keeping on!!!
    at least for a few more minutes ~

8-)
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    narnianarnia Posts: 635
    Ed's voice makes me swoon... :o Love the pared down video - simple, no special effects, just focused on the music.

I'm not into comparing the new songs, or comparing the new album to other albums. I'm just living in the moment with new Pearl Jam. Doesn't get any better than that. I mean it's PEARL JAM guys, how lucky are we that they're still making really fine music after all these years!
    I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,782
    Every time I hear it I love it more.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    Oh make no mistake, this will be played at every show this year. People, they are touring to promote their new album and this is one of the singles from that album. Just how they played The Fixer and Just Breathe at every show for the backspacer tour.
  • Options
    RiotZact wrote:
    Oh make no mistake, this will be played at every show this year. People, they are touring to promote their new album and this is one of the singles from that album. Just how they played The Fixer and Just Breathe at every show for the backspacer tour.

This song will be a show killer. One of you sheep can take my spot on the rail for Pitt or Philly when this song is played.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Kelly Leak wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:

This song will be a show killer. One of you sheep can take my spot on the rail for Pitt or Philly when this song is played.

Seriously, just because someone has a different opinion than you on a song they are 'sheep" :lol: :roll:
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Amherst, Massachusetts Posts: 1,510
    Love it! Will be even better live.
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    Kelly Leak wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:

Killer or not it's getting played, they're not gonna change their mind cus you don't like it.
  • Options
    Lightning Bolt is going to be a GREAT live song, it was at Wrigley. But Sirens is a bathroom break song.
    San Jose 10/93, San Francisco 6/95, San Jose 11/95, St Louis 4/03, Columbus 5/10, MSGII 5/21/2010, Alpine Valley 09/03/2011 and 09/04/2011
  • Options
    RiotZact wrote:
    Kelly Leak wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:

Killer or not it's getting played, they're not gonna change their mind cus you don't like it.

You're probably right.
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Wow. Sirens definitely is a different type of song and sound for PJ. I like it, but it definitely has some 80s rock ballad undertones to it - my only minor complaint. What stands out to me are Ed's vocals sound great, great playing by Stone, love Mike's electric guitar solo, and like Jeff's bass line with Boom's keys highlighting everything. Everyone is incorporated into the song - Mike playing acoustic and electric, Ed plays guitar, Boom playing some keys, and Mike/Matt/Stone/Jeff all sing. I like it and the lyrics and Ed's vocals are flooring. Definitely a different direction than anything we've heard before.

I think we're in store for a very diverse album. I love PJ. Best in the business.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    GD274660 wrote:
    Lightning Bolt is going to be a GREAT live song, it was at Wrigley. But Sirens is a bathroom break song.

Agree. I really love Lightning Bolt. Was hoping it would be the next single. :)
  • Options
    I like Brussels sprouts, broccoli and spinach but a lot of folks don't.

Everybody has their own opinions. No need to hate on someone that happens to not like something. To each his own.

No need to make harsh comments against anyone just because someone doesn't like the damn song.

I don't fucking like the damn song and that's that. I tried I really did, I listened to it 7 times already and have made up my mind. I hate it. Not a Nickleback / Creed sort of hate, but a stern dislike :D I do like MYM

Now for everyone that LOVES IT go crank it up and enjoy it u lucky fuckers!!!
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    Kelly Leak wrote:
    RiotZact wrote:

Seriously, just because someone has a different opinion than you on a song they are 'sheep" :lol: :roll:

He's got a point. A new song comes out, its not universally liked and the gang mentality is, "Hey the band matured, so you don't get it anymore; or you're not a fan etc...." Hence the "sheep" and there's a lot of that going on here.

Maybe you like it, awesome, but some of this is just blind adoration. When a lot of comments are like "the music's alright but his voice is awesome" or "on my 12th listen, it really hit me.", its really telling.

I'd love to be able to just like everything that comes down the pipe but this song is pretty bad considering its source, we're gonna call it as such and there are a shit ton of sheep on here that are working really really hard to convince us otherwise. So yeah, "sheep".

And after listening more and more, this song sounds more and more like a generic, lazy and boring rock song. From Pearl Jam. And even on songs I don't like I'd never use those words and that sucks.

End of rant, that's my opinion and here's to hoping the the rest of the album picks up the slack.
  • Options
    darthdarth Houston, TX Posts: 139
    After about 10 listens, i absolutely love the song. Not sure why because it is a kind of typical rock ballad....maybe it's the lyrics....deep and personal....and very relatable. Just a great song in my opinion.
    9/16/95; 10/14/00; 10/15/00; 10/17/00; 4/5/03; 4/6/03; 10/04/09; 11/12/12 (Ed); 11/16/13; 10/12/14
  • Options
    Trading StoriesTrading Stories Boston Posts: 84
    This song has some 'modern country' in it. Most certainly different from classic PJ but, PJ always manages to surprise like or not. It is an immense song. Nice job PJ!! See you in a month!
    Hartford 9/13/98, Montreal 6/29/03, Mansfield 7/2/03 7/3/03 7/11/03, Boston 9/28/04, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08 6/30/08, Chicago 8/24/09, Boston 5/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11 9/4/11, Worcester 10/15 10/16, Hartford 10/25 Fenway 1&2 EV - Boston 8/1 8/2, Albany 8/6
  • Options
    Love it, love it, LOVE IT!
    I must admit I was kind of scared to hear it because of all the speculation, but it just took me 2 listens to be absolutelly fond of it :D
    I don't care if it's too mainstream, or romantic, or if it's not how the band is supposed to sound. In fact, I think the best about the guys is that you cannot atempt to define their style. They are just who they are, they don't care what anybody thinks or says, and they continue to amaze me and surprise me with their music!
    Thanks PJ, and keep it coming!
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Still terrible.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.