Options

"Sirens" Single + Video

Comments

• Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    You can't compare to Black. That comparison should never had been made. Good song but O'Brien hyped it up too much
    This is Not For You
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    And a very good chance of besting Avocado.....
    That might be tough from my perspective. I absolutely love Avocado. ;)
    Then get your damn sound system together so you can finally listen to it!!!!!!!! :x
    AAARRRGGGHH! I KNOW, I KNOW! :lol: I just bought Avocado last week, too!! Haven't spun it!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    On the first listen, I hated it. Then after repeated listening, hatred turned to disappointment. Then I listened again, but this time I didn't have any expectations like I did the first time. Turns out, I kinda like it. I have a feeling it may grow on me. I could have used a little less piano, though.

I think this one was built up as "the new 'Black'". What song isn't going to fall short from all that hype?? I think it was hard to give this one a fair shake on first listen.

For the record, "Black" is the new "Black"
  • Options
    Kat wrote:
    sniff. It makes me cry. I can so see all the loving couples at the shows with arms around each other swaying to it. So beautiful. Of course, everyone else will be swaying too. :)

This. I cried like a baby the first time I heard it. Right on, Kat.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    grantstoner43grantstoner43 Los Angeles Posts: 54
    DPrival78 wrote:
    if it doesn't grab you right away, give it time. first listen i was pretty ho hum about it.. by listen 4 i was completely hooked.

Totally agree
    Lawrence 5.2.92
    Maryland Heights 7.27.92
    Dallas 9.6.92
    Wichita 11.24.93
    Milwaukee 7.8.95
    Milwaukee 7.9.95
    East Troy 6.27.98
    Universal City 10.6.09
    Wrigley Field 7.19.13
    Los Angeles 11.24.13
    Austin 10.12.14
    Boston 8.5.16
    Boston 8.7.16
  • Options
    Very boring song. They will not play it live very often. To be honest, this is a real letdown.
  • Options
    ofthegirl75ofthegirl75 New Jersey Posts: 300
    I like it :)
    Had to listen with headphones watching the video because my ipad was not doing the song justice. Need to get the single.
    I really like the music from Mikes solo on.
    The lyrics and Eddies voice are amazing.

Not going to compare to any other song, but I will say I want more like this!
  • Options
    I'm quite the opposite. While the 17 year old PJ fan in me loved MYM, the 39 year old PJ fan in me appreciates the thoughtfulness and emotion of Sirens. As I listened to it while reading the lyrics, I connected with the song instantly. The trouble with this song is that a few reviewers went online a couple weeks ago and dared to mention Black in the same sentence as Sirens. Alot of people are listening to Sirens with those sorts of expectations.

It is like when Inside Job came out...I remember people comparing that to Black as well. Nothing will compare to Black...

With that said...Sirens is slowly growing on me...
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    edited September 2013
    I told you the new single is going to kick your ass. :D:D
    (Not that I heard it before today)

For sure doesnt sound like one for the tortured souls. It is a beautiful song that can be associated with feelings of happiness and relaxing. This fact alone can irritate some here, as we know. :lol::lol:

Finally yeah. :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap::clap::clap: :thumbup:
    Post edited by jumbojet on
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    video version is slightly different from the single version, or am i hearing it wrong?
    2006 Arnhem - Antwerp - Paris 2007 Nijmegen - Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen - Arras - Werchter 2012 Amsterdam - Werchter - Arras - Berlin 2014 Amsterdam - Berlin - Werchter 2018 Pinkpop - London - Berlin - Werchter - London
    @BelgianPJfan
  • Options
    Black comparisons aside, I'm disappointed. Not everybody is just going to love it simply because its Pearl Jam, although I'm glad you people do. At least I got Mind Your Manners and the song Lightning Bolt.

(On a side note, still wish Of the Earth was on album)
  • Options
    "It's a fragile thing, this life we lead. If I think too much, I can get overwhelmed by the grace by which we live
    our lives with death over our shoulders..."

Vedder remains the master. The lyrics are superb.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

• Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    Kat wrote:
    sniff. It makes me cry. I can so see all the loving couples at the shows with arms around each other swaying to it. So beautiful. Of course, everyone else will be swaying too. :)

I foresee many proposals during this one at concerts...

TimoRitzen wrote:
    love the song, love the video... where's the vinyl?
    yeah that! would love to see a 7" of this, as well as for MYM. Something I`ve been missing for some time now from the shop.
    Any change of it ever being released?

If the singles are going to be released as backspacer single were, with no actual b-side, they can save us some moeny and release MYM b/w Sirens as two sides of the same coin and save us some money... if the b-sides are songs which didn't make the album, bring them on separately!

pj8 wrote:
    Didn't like it at first but after listening to it more I love it. Better than anything off of Backspacer imo (and I like backspacer). This one will be so awesome live!

This song is great, but still is too early to say if Sirens is better than Unthought Known or Force Of Nature, or even The End; if you put it next to any of the other songs, I concur...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    video version is slightly different from the single version, or am i hearing it wrong?

It is different, having been filmed as a live performance with some vocal overdubs.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

• Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    Kat wrote:

This. I cried like a baby the first time I heard it. Right on, Kat.

Gotta love our PJ girls. It's reactions to comments like these that make me smile. Kimmie and Kat; A-list fans.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    "It's a fragile thing, this life we lead. If I think too much, I can get overwhelmed by the grace by which we live

Yeah, the lyrics are okay if you're into that kind of thing (I do not have a problem with very romantic songs), and the vocals are phenomenal... it's the music itself that is .... uuuhhhhh.... Not even sure what to call that kind of music. Makes me wonder what's going on in Mike's head. So thank goodness for the vocals! :thumbup: Hopefully now people will stop using Betterman at weddings. :lol: :fp:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,149

It is different, having been filmed as a live performance with some vocal overdubs.
    solo is different too
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    slobberdog68slobberdog68 In Hiding Posts: 682
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Yeah, the lyrics are okay if you're into that kind of thing (I do not have a problem with very romantic songs), and the vocals are phenomenal... it's the music itself that is .... uuuhhhhh.... Not even sure what to call that kind of music. Makes me wonder what's going on in Mike's head. So thank goodness for the vocals! :thumbup: Hopefully now people will stop using Betterman at weddings. :lol: :fp:

People use Betterman @ weddings? I hope not.
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need

• Options
    edited September 2013
    PJ_Soul wrote:

People use Betterman @ weddings? I hope not.
    Believe it. They just hear the chorus and figure it's a song for him - can't find a better man, man. Perfect. :lol: :fp:
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Seems like Mike's solo just jumps in kind of loud and out of place. Just my thought. Its a decent song though, but I wouldn't hype it as much as some.

Solo sounds forced to me, definitely doesn't fit. Really think Pearl Jam are better than songs like this, very cheesy and extremely middle of the road. After 2 minutes on my 1st listen I was bored.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Another great PJ song. :D
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Took me a while to figure out how I feel about this song, but I think I've got it figured out.

This song sounds insanely mainstream, and I find it confusing that PJ would release a song like this. It's like they decided to switch genres completely. I didn't even know that any of them would ever listen to music like this, much less write it themselves.

I think what is kind of saving me from hating this song is EV's voice. It sounds great. If it weren't for that amazing voice, I'm pretty sure I'd think that song sucks. But it is his voice, so the song doesn't suck IMO. But I feel like it's more the 12 year old girl in me - the one that still sings along to "Running Just As Fast As We Can" when it comes on, and then one who thought "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" was a glorious movie because of that Brian Adam's single on the soundtrack. The adult Pearl Jam fan in me is confused. The 12 year old girl, though, thinks it's uplifting, and she will probably want to flounce around the room singing it into an invisible microphone at some point. But I'm not going to let her. :|

One of the best posts I've read here. Fantastically put.

Personally I've 2 conflicting in kids. One is adolescent saying 'Wow,one day I'll fall in love too.' Another in his best Beavis voice is saying...what the hell is this crap?'.

Adult me can't get it yet but figures it'll be fun live though not at every show please.
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Sirens target audience: Last Song of the night folks!

Adult%20Couple%205.png
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Great song. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but I swear if PJ released Black now some people on here would say it was shit.

Really looking forward to LB now :D:D
    Happy up here in my tree
  • Options

Adult%20Couple%205.png
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Great song. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but I swear if PJ released Black now some people on here would say it was shit.

Couldn't agree more with this post.
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,204
    I really like the way Matt's voice mixes with Ed's
  • Options
    Vedder remains the master. The lyrics are superb.[/quote]
    Yeah, the lyrics are okay if you're into that kind of thing (I do not have a problem with very romantic songs), and the vocals are phenomenal... it's the music itself that is .... uuuhhhhh.... Not even sure what to call that kind of music. Makes me wonder what's going on in Mike's head. So thank goodness for the vocals! :thumbup: Hopefully now people will stop using Betterman at weddings. :lol: :fp:[/quote]

People use Betterman @ weddings? I hope not.[/quote]
    Believe it. They just hear the chorus and figure it's a song for him - can't find a better man, man. Perfect. :lol: :fp:[/quote]

Wow, that's stupid of them. Seriously, I would do some research, especially if I was using it as my wedding song.

• Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Adult%20Couple%205.png
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

OMG! I hope not.....

• Options
    magikevmagikev Posts: 296

Can we please get a "LIKE" button for posts?