Options

***Official Toronto 2006 Meet-up Thread***

Comments

• Options
    uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    MarkB wrote:
    well i think she'l be fine place looks like its gona be packed, dont think they will ID at door

they didn't card at the door last time. as long as she looks old enough, she should be good. i went to the pre-show last time with my buddy who's a year older than me, but looks only 16, and he drank without being carded, so she should be good.
  • Options
    Mystere4Mystere4 Posts: 73
    My wife and I will be driving up from Buffalo, we look forward to meeting all of you and enjoying 2 great shows.
    "I'm like an ocean in disguise"
  • Options
    MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    Went for a few beers after our Baseball Draft.

Some dude kept requesting Pearl Jam.

That is all.
  • Options
    Bump :) 10characters!
    www.myspace.com/quietrhythm
    www.quietrhythm.livejournal.com
  • Options
    Mystere4Mystere4 Posts: 73
    My wife and i will be there; lookin forwaed to meeting all of you.

john
    "I'm like an ocean in disguise"
  • Options
    KrohnKrohn Posts: 79
    Here's a bump for the falling thread!
    www.wishlistfoundation.com
    www.ccfc.ca
    www.ccfa.org
  • Options
    is it may yet??????
    dream like your living forever
    live like your dying today
  • Options
    No :(

10 characters
    www.ccfc.ca
    www.ccfa.org
  • Options
    I'm kind of pissed off that we didn't get another 2 two shows on leg 2
  • Options
    I'm kind of pissed off that we didn't get another 2 two shows on leg 2

Hahahaha :D
    www.ccfc.ca
    www.ccfa.org
  • Options
    JJDJJD Posts: 17
    Very clever idea..... I'llk take one please ..JJD
  • Options
    is this within walking distance of the ACC
  • Options
    I would like to meet up with you guys, however, this is only going to be my second time in Toronto and the last time I was there, I was like 7. So i really don't know where or how to get to anything.... actually I don't even know how I'm getting from the airport to.. well.. anywhere.
    However, If I can find the place I will be there!!! :)

If you love someone, set them free.
    If someone loves you, don't fuck up.
  • Options
    stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    polarduck wrote:
    I would like to meet up with you guys, however, this is only going to be my second time in Toronto and the last time I was there, I was like 7. So i really don't know where or how to get to anything.... actually I don't even know how I'm getting from the airport to.. well.. anywhere.

Just use that map - if you can find the venue, you'll have no problem finding the bar!
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    polarduck wrote:

A taxi from the airport to downtown will probably cost you $50 or more.

Another way out of the airport is on GO Transit. There is a bus stop at Terminal 2 (i think!) where you can catch a bus to York Mills Bus Terminal ($4). From there, you can take the subway downtown to Union Station ($2.50).

check out:
    http://www.gotransit.com
    http://www.ttc.ca
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    im in the same boat as you...lost...but if worst comes to worst just jumpin a cab and say loose moose...i think we'll be alright.
    how are you gettin to toronto? driving, flying?
  • Options
    A taxi from the airport to downtown will probably cost you $50 or more.

Another way out of the airport is on GO Transit. There is a bus stop at Terminal 2 (i think!) where you can catch a bus to York Mills Bus Terminal ($4). From there, you can take the subway downtown to Union Station ($2.50).

check out:
    http://www.gotransit.com
    http://www.ttc.ca
    There's a shuttle bus for $15 that takes you to the major hotels. It stops at the Royal York which is 2 seconds away from the Moose and the ACC
  • Options
    on the red mosquito board i had read that the toronto youth hostel was close and it was cheap.....u know anythinng about this? or should I book at the royal york then?
  • Options
    im in the same boat as you...lost...but if worst comes to worst just jumpin a cab and say loose moose...i think we'll be alright.
    how are you gettin to toronto? driving, flying?

I'm flying up on the 9th and coming back on the 12th.. you?

You have a good plan though, that's prolly what will end up happening, just jumping in a cab and screaming PEARL JAM!!!!

• Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    on the red mosquito board i had read that the toronto youth hostel was close and it was cheap.....u know anythinng about this? or should I book at the royal york then?

i live on T.O., so i've never stayed at either of these places, but:

http://www.torontohostel.com/
    http://www.globalbackpackers.com/ (this one is closer)

dorm rooms are cheap, and from the photos appear to be clean and nice.
    private rooms at a hostel will run you almost as much as a hotel room...

both a far cry from the Royal York though!! ;)
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    i think im going to fly in on the 8th and leave on the 12th
    canjet has a special on for moncton to toronto for $99.00 so i guess the price is right.
    do u know whereyour staying yet?
  • Options
    Not a clue where Im staying yet, I'll stay awake for 3 days if I have to... anything for the Jam.

And yeah thats the same price for tickets from here aswell, isn't it great!

• Options
    im thinkin about stayin here http://www.globalbackpackers.com its cheap, has a bar, and its supposed to be close to the loose moose and the ACC
  • Options
    Seems pretty nice, I shall take that into consideration, maybe I will see you there!

• Options
    Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    im thinkin about stayin here http://www.globalbackpackers.com its cheap, has a bar, and its supposed to be close to the loose moose and the ACC

I'm considering this if my other plans fall through, but it seems a bit weird to share a room with 5 other strangers. :confused:
  • Options
    I'm considering this if my other plans fall through, but it seems a bit weird to share a room with 5 other strangers. :confused:
    yeah it seems strange but there must be double rooms...i hope
    cause i want to stay in toronto for that week from monday-friday and a hotel would hit the wallet pretty hard...
  • Options
    nuzpapernuzpaper Posts: 211

Fuck the royal york..stay at http://www.dayshoteltoronto.ca/ its less then half the price and has all you need. Its only 5 subway stops(5-10 min) or a $10 cab ride. Its is also close to many toronto attractions
    Toronto 96, Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Ottawa 05, Toronto 05, Toronto 06, Toronto 06, Denver 06, Denver 06, Chicago 07, New York 08, New York 08...I'm just getting started
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    embrace wrote:
    SUGGESTIONS PLEASE...we're flying in from Philly Monday night..any suggestions on some cool places to check out on Tuesday and Wednesday. I would love to see some local artwork (no commercial/"hot spots") and def need a place for beers...I would love to meet some of you pre show if that's all right too. Thanks! I'm so ready for the shows to start!

the AGO is great - and just north of queen street so it's in the walking loop for the downtown core

(I believe they still have some Raymond Pettibon stuff on display - a total must see - one of my favourites)

you can also head up to yorkville (get off at the museum station on the subway line and walk north on university/avenue road) - there are a lot of smaller galleries on yorkville and scollard

there used to be quite a few galleries on queen west of bathurst but that area's changed so much I'm not sure anymore

if you have time you should head to the science center - nothing really to do with art but a pretty cool day

there's always something going on here and there are little free brochures all over the place (hotel lobby - airport) - pick up a free NOW or EYE magazine as well - they list most of the showings and plays etc etc
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • Options
    shareshare Posts: 551
    it's in a basement

it was tiny

it smelled like urine

the bathrooms were horrid (I was one of the first people there so it wasn't because of ALL the people) there were 5 people in there when I got there and the bathrooms were so disgusting it looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a week

the service was horrible... our waitress was very rude

we ordered food and after an hour of waiting, and getting nothing... not even the waitress coming over to check on us, we left

we found a really nice sports bar with an outside patio that was filled with PJ people and they were playing the garden DVD... very nice place

I wasn't really COMPLAINING in my original post about it... just disapointed. Toronto is a beautiful city with really nice bars. Just didn't think this one would be picked again. I'll find my way back to that sports bar ;)

it wasn't that bad - and as far as bathrooms go in toronto bars it was OK

just pop by on your way and buy a bracelet or make a donation

you probably went to gretzky's - the GM there was going to really limit our access with the CCFC stuff - didn't really want anybody trying to "sell" things in the bar even though it was for charity (you guys have to remember we have to clear all this with the bar first and stick to THEIR rules)

the loose moose didn't really believe me when I said we would pack the place and were scrambling for staff - i think they'll know better this year

and in the end (especially if you happened upon the DUMP SHITHOLE ROTHOUSE in HAMILTON last year) it's for Crohns and Mike and a chance for us to all get together anywhere

a patio would be nice but it's not just a matter or picking a bar - it's having the bar give you access to their patrons and let you take over for a couple of hours
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned