Options

Big Day Out 2014– Aust&NZ– Pre-partys, Travel Info&Roll Call

Comments

• Options
    who else is everyone keen to see?

personally I'm really looking forward to mudhoney, cosmic psychos, flume, arcade fire and blur.

glad they have made it so pj/arcade/blur won't clash
    2003: Melbourne 1
    2006: Verona, Vienna, Zagreb, Melbourne 1-2-3, Adelaide 1-2
    2009: Melbourne
    2010: Belfast
    2012: Werchter
    2014: Melbourne, Adelaide, EV Melb 1-2
  • Options
    MickeyB69MickeyB69 Posts: 22
    Really looking at the lineup....very unimpressed..have seen blur before at the Horden Pavillion. ...they were ok.

So I assume PJ will play last.....so who's going down to the main stage and going to stay there all day?

I'll be there :)
  • Options
    Not keen on BDO but would follow PJ ANYWHERE! Se ya there!!! Could ya hold my spot for loo trips & vice versa :D?
    So from the email, they are going to close the blue stage...so that's where I will be all day..not moving

Yep, happy to hold spaces etc :):)
  • Options
    JoeyJoJo wrote:
    I got through pretty easy and confirmed my order straight away.

I elected e ticket option and havent yet received it in email, anyone else have same?

It took about 15 minutes, but then I got all confirmations
  • Options
    your move nowyour move now Posts: 1,165
    trying to work out Sydney accom, sooo freaking expensive, esp after what I've already spent on tickets - I can hear my credit card crying
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • Options
    mh183697mh183697 Posts: 12
    so happyyyyy got my thix for the sydney bdo.now get some sleep in the middle of the night in holland,
    gonna be difficult,so excited .
    '92 pinkpop-2000 pinkpop-2006 arnhem-2007 nijmegen-2009 rotterdam-2010 nijmegen-
  • Options
    MangoMango Brisbane, Australia (via Dublin, Ireland) Posts: 1,049

personally I'm really looking forward to mudhoney, cosmic psychos, flume, arcade fire and blur.

Arcade Fire are AWESOME live! I can't wait :-) Mudhoney too
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
  • Options
    jessse-djessse-d Posts: 11
    Ive been busy booking flights and hostels since the presale went on

MELBOURNE - SYDNEY 1 - SYDNEY 2

Staying at All Nations City Backpackers in Melbourne and Glebe Village Backpackers in Sydney.

I think theyre good choices, so if anyone else books at these places please private message me and we can hang out! Im going with my girlfriend. Im 29 shes 23.

I got a $39 flight from Mel to Syd on Jetstar on the 25th of Jan, theyre probably still available.

I will also be going to the Perth Big Day Out, but thats my hometown.

I know the Big Day Out has a reputation for hooliganism but I went this year in Perth and it really was quite pleasant I didnt have 1 bad experience with dickheads - to be honest the Southbound festival was far worse on the bogan scale... It should be a really good festival.
  • Options
    MangoMango Brisbane, Australia (via Dublin, Ireland) Posts: 1,049
    Is BDO traditionally always on Australia Day?
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
  • Options
    Mango wrote:

This year Australia Day falls on Sydney, Day 1. Last year it fell on Melbourne, I believe.
  • Options
    Mango wrote:

This year Australia Day falls on Sydney, Day 1. Last year it fell on Melbourne, I believe.

I believe Sydney Day 1 is always on Aust Day. Gold coast the weekend before and melb after.
  • Options
    Thanks for the pre-sale Ten Club. Appreciated the less than stressful experience I generally have when getting tickets.
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Mango wrote:

Correct, I saw them at the last BDO i went too (2008?) - they were brilliant. And was lucky enough to see Mudhoney last year at The Zoo in Brisbane ( with a bit of luck, Ed might make an appearance with them..
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    TrudstarTrudstar Posts: 111
    Just got tickets to Melbourne, be going by myself. :)
    1995 Melbourne, 1998 Melbourne, 2003 Melbourne, 2006 Melbourne, 2009 Melbourne.
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    Thanks for the pre-sale Ten Club. Appreciated the less than stressful experience I generally have when getting tickets.
    Agreed! Thanks 10c, much appreciated. :)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    Mango wrote:

I believe Sydney Day 1 is always on Aust Day. Gold coast the weekend before and melb after.

2010 Australia Day was Melbourne
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    Mango wrote:

Flume!!!
    I'm not concerned about hooliganism either - I've seen the behaviour of middle-aged folks off their tatas on $40 red at Evening on the Green and Swan Valley Wine Festival - the mother of dickheads is always pregnant.
  • Options
    Can anyone give me some advice, If I was to go to Australia for a show (as well as doing the Auckland one) which one would you guys suggest keeping in mind that I've never been to Australia- and Never traveled internationally on my own.

I'm sooo tempted... I have the money, my biggest worry would be finding a hotel close enough to a venue so I'm not wandering around at night in a city I don't know (i'm only 19)

I'm thinking either Melbourne or Sydney? Help me out here! :D
    Pearl Jam Pearl Jam Pearl Jam!

I'm looking to buy a single ticket to Ed's Sydney Opera House show, PM me if you've got a spare! I don't care where the seat is! :D
  • Options
    Just read that Pearl Jam will be playing a FULL CONCERT SET! from one of the organisers here:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment ... d=10906057

did we already know this? thats pretty exciting.. do they know a full concert is more than 3 hours for PJ?
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702
    Got tickets to the Gold Coast Big Day Out, January 19, 2014.

Thank you Ten Club!!! :D
  • Options
    your move nowyour move now Posts: 1,165
    jessse-d wrote:
    Just read that Pearl Jam will be playing a FULL CONCERT SET! from one of the organisers here:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment ... d=10906057

did we already know this? thats pretty exciting.. do they know a full concert is more than 3 hours for PJ?

I think it's been said that they'll play 2 hour sets
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • Options

Go with Melbourne, the venue is much closer to the centre than in Sydney and I like Melbourne better as a travel destination (Im from Perth so no bias there) If you stay in the city you really shoudnt feel alone or vunerable coming home from the concert. The trams are great and pretty safe.
  • Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    Can anyone give me some advice, If I was to go to Australia for a show (as well as doing the Auckland one) which one would you guys suggest keeping in mind that I've never been to Australia- and Never traveled internationally on my own.

I'm sooo tempted... I have the money, my biggest worry would be finding a hotel close enough to a venue so I'm not wandering around at night in a city I don't know (i'm only 19)

Do Melbourne and you won't be alone. We will find you some buddies to keep you safe.
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    Loulou wrote:
    Agreed! Thanks 10c, much appreciated. :)

Thanks for looking after us 10c - just picked up my Perth tickets - very easy :D
  • Options
    ZimzuMZimzuM Posts: 209
    Melbourne all booked, time to stop cursing that they are doing the BDO vs a tour and time to be exited.

I just hope they throw in a few gems they have not played here vs a set full of even flow, jeremy, alive, black, betterman etc
    2/3/98 Melbourne, 18/2/03 Melbourne, 19/2/03 Melbourne, 20/2/03 Melbourne, 4/9/06 Lisbon, 5/9/06 Lisbon, 7/9/06 Madrid, 9/9/06 Marsielle, 11/9/06 Paris, 7/11/06 Sydney, 8/11/06 Sydney, 10/11/06 Brisbane, 11/11/06 Brisbane, 13/11/06 Melbourne, 14/11/06 Melbourne, 16/11/06 Melbourne, 20/11/00 Melbourne
  • Options
    rubysoho_rubysoho_ Posts: 22

While Sydney was a lot of fun last tour, I'd go Melbourne. Like the others have already said, you'll be fine on your own and there are lots of us doing Melbourne :)
    21/11/06 Adelaide, 17/11/09 Adelaide, 22/11/09 Sydney, Eddie Vedder solo: Melbourne 24/3/11, Melbourne 25/3/11, Adelaide 27/3/11, Adelaide 28/3/11
  • Options
    rubysoho_ wrote:

While Sydney was a lot of fun last tour, I'd go Melbourne. Like the others have already said, you'll be fine on your own and there are lots of us doing Melbourne :)

I'm almost convinced!!....
    Pearl Jam Pearl Jam Pearl Jam!

I'm looking to buy a single ticket to Ed's Sydney Opera House show, PM me if you've got a spare! I don't care where the seat is! :D
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    rubysoho_ wrote:

I will be there and I'm coming all the way from the states! I'll be travelling solo as well. I bought tickets for Auckland, Gold Coast, Melbourne, and both nights in Sydney. :shock:

I've spent the last 2-3 hours sorting out shit with the various banks I deal with. For anyone concerned with Foreign Transaction Fees, here is what I learned:
    American Express (major credit card company that deals with travel as well) charges a 2.7% conversion fee. (per purchase, for their "blue" cards which are no annual fee cards. Other cards with annual fee gets this waived.
    Chase (major bank) charges a 3% conversion fee on both the debit cards and Freedom credit card.
    TD Bank (not so major bank) does NOT charge a fee when using their debit card.
    Capital One (not so major bank but huge credit card company) does not charge any foreign transaction fees AT ALL.

I wish I would have thought of checking all this before I put the NZ ticket on my Chase card :fp: I gave those fuckers $4 for no reason :evil:

Not sure if this an issue with transaction between AUD and NZD currencies.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    bm12musicbm12music Posts: 292
    rubysoho_ wrote:

Hi from Northland, NZ too!
    Auck - Feb 28, 98
    Syd - Nov 08, 06
    West Palm Beach - Jun 11, 08
    Tampa - Jun 12, 08
    Melb - Nov 20, 09
    Syd - Nov 22, 09
    Bris - Nov 25, 09
    Auck - Nov 27, 09
    Christchurch - Nov 29, 09
    EV - Bris - Mar 10 & 12, 11
    EV - New - Mar 16, 11
    EV - Syd - Mar 18, 11
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Had no problem scoring my single for Melbourne, Sydney one and two , Adelaide , and Perth . THANK YOU 10C . My credit card is a now a smoking lump of plastic , but I wouldn't miss this trip for anything .
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff