Options

Big Day Out 2014– Aust&NZ– Pre-partys, Travel Info&Roll Call

Comments

• Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    tinkerbell wrote:
    Well I did a little happy dance when I heard that PJ were headliners and was super psyched but now I'm not sure if I have anyone to come with me :( it's a long drive to Auckland by myself.... if they were headlining then I would go by myself but I've never been to a BDO so not keen to go alone. :evil:

Don't let that stop you! You wont be alone, there's a bunch of us going, I've been to a BDO before, its not scary at all. There will be plenty of us around that you could hang out with :mrgreen:

yeah come! we'll all be there. i'm keen to hang out with pj nerds all day.
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    oh and i've done the drive from welly to auckland alone a few times. it's actually not too bad at all.

me and my friend are driving up on the thursday. where are you?
  • Options
    tinkerbelltinkerbell New Zealand Posts: 2,161
    doompony wrote:
    oh and i've done the drive from welly to auckland alone a few times. it's actually not too bad at all.

me and my friend are driving up on the thursday. where are you?

I am crossing my fingers that my friend will come but she's a bit of a piker and has to find someone to have her 4 kids. My hubby isn't keen at all.
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement ;) I live near Palmy doompony.
    Still super excited and a lot less nervous now, I haven't been on here for a while, I forgot how awesome you lot are :D
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    I don't actually really know Mudhoney. I saw them at PJ20 of course & must have brushed up on them a bit before that but actually only seem to have "Since we became translucent". What albums are their best for me to get & listen to before January? It seems "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge", "Piece of Cake" & "My Brother the Cow" were the ones that charted according to Wikipedia so wondering which ones people think I should check out.
    Cheers :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    so im doing bdo at gold coast, melbourne,sydney x2 and perth. im thinking i should add adelaide and make it all 6 bdos in australia i probably shouldnt,but....... (never been to adelaide ) anyone else doing all bdo's?
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    All of you people doing all of the BDOs or coming from overseas must be either very rich or bank robbers. :lol:
  • Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    so im doing bdo at gold coast, melbourne,sydney x2 and perth. im thinking i should add adelaide and make it all 6 bdos in australia i probably shouldnt,but....... (never been to adelaide ) anyone else doing all bdo's?

I want to, don't have that much money though.
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    B-RockB-Rock Posts: 149

Doing them all except Gold Coast & Auckland
    Sydney 8-11-06, 18-11-06; Melbourne 20-11-09, Sydney 22-11-09, Manchester 20-06-12, 21-06-12
  • Options
    WickstaWicksta Posts: 100

I'm doing all Aus BDO's....I went to Europe for last year's tour and the US for Wrigley so it seemed the least I could do to follow them around my home country ;)
    PJ - Sydney 12 Mar 1998 - Sydney 11 & 14 Feb 2003 - Sydney 8 & 18 Nov 2006 - Sydney 22 Nov 2009 - Prague 2 Jul 2012 - Berlin 4 & 5 Jul 2012 - Stockholm 7 Jul 2012 - Copenhagen 10 Jul 2012 - Wrigley 19 Jul 2013 - Gold Coast 19 Jan 2014 - Melbourne 24 Jan 2014 - Sydney 26 Jan 2014 - Adelaide 31 Jan 2014 - Perth 2 Jan 2014 - Amsterdam 16 & 17 Jun 2014 - Milan 20 Jun 2014 - Trieste 22 Jun 2014 - Vienna 25 Jun 2014 - Berlin 26 Jun 2014 - New York City 1 & 2 May 2016 - Seattle 8 & 10 Aug 2018 - Vancouver 4 & 6 May 2024
    EV - Canberra 15 Mar 2011 - Sydney 18 Mar 2011 - Perth 7 & 8 Feb 2014 - Sydney 11,12 & 13 Feb 2014 - Melbourne 19 Feb 2014 - Brisbane 22, 23 & 25 Feb 2014 - London 6 Jun 2017 - Dublin 9 Jun 2017 - Seattle 21 Feb 2022
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    You're all very dedicated for going to so many shows :) .

My mum told me I was crazy when I said I'd bought tickets for both Sydney shows, she asked me "isn't one enough?"...definitely not!
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    -Emma- wrote:

My mum told me I was crazy when I said I'd bought tickets for both Sydney shows, she asked me "isn't one enough?"...definitely not!
    i know what you mean. I ve seen pearl jam 8 times and my family/friends think im crazy or obessed than i explain there are fans out there who have seen them 80+ times probably even over 100 times, non PJ fans just dont undestand. im quite comfortable seeing them 5-6 times this tour
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    E.K wrote:
    All of you people doing all of the BDOs or coming from overseas must be either very rich or bank robbers. :lol:

Or we must love to be in airplanes. 24-hour flight duration sounds just enough to fulfill my hunger for some quality airplane time. God, why did you have to be that far away, people? Still working on it, though. ;)
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    -Emma- wrote:

i know what you mean. I ve seen pearl jam 8 times and my family/friends think im crazy or obessed than i explain there are fans out there who have seen them 80+ times probably even over 100 times, non PJ fans just dont undestand. im quite comfortable seeing them 5-6 times this tour

You know, I think Arcade Fire and Blur should be aware of this and be ready. If they are planning to run the same setlist all through the BDO's, they will be called out (and probably booed?) by P-Jammers, who will be doing the multiple shows.

I've witnessed this phenomenon through the act of some bands in their South America festival runs. To watch the same show 2nd time was OK, but the 3rd time would be boring.

• Options
    like a boss tickets. who purchased them? dunno if i wanna pay an extra $100 for it. plus where is the like a boss section likely to be (how close to stage). also if us 10c members stick together boss tickets may not be necessary.
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    jumbojet wrote:
    E.K wrote:

Or we must love to be in airplanes. 24-hour flight duration sounds just enough to fulfill my hunger for some quality airplane time. God, why did you have to be that far away, people? Still working on it, though. ;)

Eek, prepare yourself for jet lag! Are you giving yourself at least a few days to recover before the BDO starts?

When I flew to San Francisco last year (via LAX) I had bad jet lag for 4 days. Whenever I sat down or stopped walking, it felt like the ground was spinning :? . Next time I travel, I'll give myself more time at my first destination to recover.
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    -Emma- wrote:
    jumbojet wrote:
    E.K wrote:
    Eek, prepare yourself for jet lag! Are you giving yourself at least a few days to recover before the BDO starts?

When I flew to San Francisco last year (via LAX) I had bad jet lag for 4 days. Whenever I sat down or stopped walking, it felt like the ground was spinning :? . Next time I travel, I'll give myself more time at my first destination to recover.

Thank you Emma. Obviously jetlag is a fact. But if I can bring the pieces together, I won't back down because of jetlag problem. Actually the pieces are there, but I am facing the hardest obstacle: convincing the wife. :fp:

• Options
    I'll be taking my 14 year old to his first Pearl Jam show on the Gold coast BDO
    Bitch Be Cool 8)
    BRISBANE 1998,2003,2006,2009!!!
    Christchurch 2009
    Oh I'm a lucky man to count those I love on two hands

come say hi on facebook http://www.facebook.com/sean.montgomery
  • Options
    The OracleThe Oracle Posts: 526
    like a boss tickets. who purchased them? dunno if i wanna pay an extra $100 for it. plus where is the like a boss section likely to be (how close to stage). also if us 10c members stick together boss tickets may not be necessary.
    Yep - Sydney 2 only. At my advanced age I need all the creature comforts I can get, plus I don't want the heat of the day to wear me out for PJ :roll:
  • Options
    The Oracle wrote:
    Yep - Sydney 2 only. At my advanced age I need all the creature comforts I can get, plus I don't want the heat of the day to wear me out for PJ :roll:
    im close to buying boss tix. just concerned how far back the viewing area will be from stage
  • Options
    I am chancing the thought that there will be enough 10C people around me to make it very enjoyable.
    Scared I would be in "Like a Boss" without any fans there.
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Flew to Australia in 2005 . Found it wasn't the jet lag on the the way to Oz that got me, but the early onset Post Pearl Jam Tour Depression Syndrome on the return home.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    I am chancing the thought that there will be enough 10C people around me to make it very enjoyable.
    I'm scared I would be in "Like a boss" with great toilets but a crap view.
  • Options
    bazzer wrote:

GC BDO has always had enough toilets when I've needed them.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    morello wrote:
    I don't actually really know Mudhoney. I saw them at PJ20 of course & must have brushed up on them a bit before that but actually only seem to have "Since we became translucent". What albums are their best for me to get & listen to before January? It seems "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge", "Piece of Cake" & "My Brother the Cow" were the ones that charted according to Wikipedia so wondering which ones people think I should check out.
    Cheers :)

I saw them last year and they were great live- The first EP, Superfuzz Bigmuff is stellar. You can get the EP re-released with other songs - Superfuzz Bigmuff Plus Early Singles (1990). It has "Touch Me I'm Sick" which is a regular in their set lists. Their new album is quite good as well and "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge " and "Mudhoney" are both good.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    ^^^ Thanks for that info. Superfuzz Bigmuff seems to be the recommended one + I must check out the new album too. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    bramnieskensbramnieskens The Netherlands Posts: 101
    jumbojet wrote:
    Maybe even someone from Moscow ;)

Amsterdam is also there! :lol:

Hey bramnieskens, is that right? Looks like we're on the same boat, thinking to do this crazy trip. :twisted:

I am the one from Moscow. I have baggage too, wife and a baby. :mrgreen:

Were you able to find some good flights? Looks like connecting flights should go through UAE or Qatar, is that also the case for you? What about the prices you are receiving? Best I can get is 1.500 - 2.000 USD / person. I'd be happy if I could find a deal for 1.000, but it seems to not exist. :cry:

Sorry for my late reply. was out for the weekend. I have booked a one way ticket to Melbourne with stopovers in LA and Auckland. Going to see them in LA as well. Ticket was 1500 USD. The cheapest will be like Princess Bulldozer said, or via Kuala Lumpur.

2007: Nijmegen
    2010: Nijmegen
    2012: Amsterdam 1
    2013: Los Angeles 1 & 2
    2014: Gold Coast
    2018: Amsterdam 1 & 2, Prague, Krakow, Berlin

• Options
    hjs1csshjs1css Posts: 3
    bazzer wrote:

GC BDO has always had enough toilets when I've needed them.

Hoping most of the 10C members will be buying regular tickets, the more of us that are trying to get close to the front the less bogans will be around us. Never done BDO before but have done Soundwave a couple of times and 'Blues and Roots', Australian festivals have always been a generally pleasant experience, if we all get together then I'm sure these will be as well.

Steve and Helen.
    A distant place is where we're livin'
  • Options
    i just got adelaide tickets minutes ago, now attending all aussie bdos (ouch the bank account) if you want to update my details to the roll call princess bulldozer, cheers. all my tix are standard (not boss). agreed i think if we all have same tickets we can band together and take over. from what i hear boss tix are quite a fair way back from the stage. looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.
  • Options
    jack cameronjack cameron Sydney Posts: 340
    Going to Sydney 1 and 2
    Pearl Jam: 11/02/03 • 13/02/03 • 18/02/03 • 07/11/06 • 13/11/06 • 16/11/06 • 18/11/06 • 19/11/06 • 20/11/09 • 22/11/09 • 26/01/14
    Eddie Vedder: 15/03/11 • 16/03/11 • 18/03/11 • 19/03/11 • 11/02/14 • 12/02/14
  • Options
    Sorry for my late reply. was out for the weekend. I have booked a one way ticket to Melbourne with stopovers in LA and Auckland. Going to see them in LA as well. Ticket was 1500 USD. The cheapest will be like Princess Bulldozer said, or via Kuala Lumpur.

Yes, that looks like a good deal. Enjoy the shows.