Options

Big Day Out 2014– Aust&NZ– Pre-partys, Travel Info&Roll Call

Comments

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    pulling69 wrote:
    duska3419 wrote:
    I'm all booked for flights, got what I consider to be a decent deal on Priceline. All non-stop on Virgin Australia for $462. I could've gotten it cheaper but I put a premium on time. It's my first trip to Oz and I'd rather not be on an airplane for the most of it. ;)

I love it when a plan comes together!

I've also been instructed to see Mudhoney perform, by someone with excellent taste in music.

Awesome prices for flights, can you please PM what the itinerary is?
    I can't seem to get my prices for flights so low.
    Thanks.

Has to be a typo if he is coming from NYC...If he scored it for that I need to book that trip, too :lol:

It's the flights from Auckland to Oz and then within Oz for the first 5 BDO dates, I can't do Adelaide and Perth due to time restrictions. And I'm a she.

My flight from NYC includes a stopover in Hawaii and cost 735 for the first leg, then 626 for the second. All prices shown in USD :P

http://www.hipmunk.com/ is the website i use for flights. I found that booking directly with AirNZ gave a cheaper price for the same flight, even though both websites showed prices in USD. But for seeing the available options for flights and times and prices I really like that website.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    Will update the google docs with Priceline and Hipmunk websites a little later.

Remember if anyone has info that would be useful to put in the first post, please let me know.

Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne Pre-party help still needed.
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    I was unsure about whether or not I should buy tickets, but I made up my mind today and bought tickets for both Sydney shows :) .
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    -Emma- wrote:
    I was unsure about whether or not I should buy tickets, but I made up my mind today and bought tickets for both Sydney shows :) .
    youll be glad you did
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Just read the Google doc Jodie & re transport to & from Western Springs in Auckland can you add that Western Springs is very easy to get to from downtown Auckland on public transport. Any bus that is going to West Auckland goes right past it + there will be extra buses running I'm sure. The bus costs NZ$3.04 each way. For those not wanting to bus I think a cab to downtown would be NZ$15ish. I really do suggest staying downtown. It's easy to get to from the airport(shuttle buses) + good for whatever else you might like to do while in Auckland & there are many hostels &/or hotels

Anyone coming to Auckland who wants any tips or help feel free to PM me. :).
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    -Emma- wrote:
    youll be glad you did

PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    Just read the Google doc Jodie & re transport to & from Western Springs in Auckland can you add that Western Springs is very easy to get to from downtown Auckland on public transport. Any bus that is going to West Auckland goes right past it + there will be extra buses running I'm sure. The bus costs NZ$3.04 each way. For those not wanting to bus I think a cab to downtown would be NZ$15ish. I really do suggest staying downtown. It's easy to get to from the airport(shuttle buses) + good for whatever else you might like to do while in Auckland & there are many hostels &/or hotels

I agree about staying downtown, way easier! There's a good hotel in the city called 'City Central Hotel' if anyone wants somewhere cheapish to stay that isn't a hostel, its just not a fancy hotel. I've stayed there 3 times and its always clean and comfortable. :mrgreen:
    Pearl Jam Pearl Jam Pearl Jam!

I'm looking to buy a single ticket to Ed's Sydney Opera House show, PM me if you've got a spare! I don't care where the seat is! :D
  • Options
    Lived in NYC for the past 10 years and I am moving to Melbourne in two weeks. Naturally I was upset when they announced the North American tour since I would only get to see them at wrigley this year.....then they make this Big Day out announcement!!!!

I will be at Melbourne, Sydney 1 & 2, and possibly Perth (still working on Gold Coast also)

Can't wait to have beers with all of you
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    morello wrote:

+1
  • Options
    jodiemjodiem Posts: 133
    -Emma- wrote:
    -Emma- wrote:
    youll be glad you did

Its going to be awesome.. no doubt! :thumbup:
    1995: Perth
    2006: Sydney x 2
    2009: Philly, Sydney
    2013: San Diego, LA1 & 2, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Vancouver, Seattle

EV Solo - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney x 2
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    I still can't believe that someone is coming all the way from NYC to attend Big Day Out. :o:lol:
  • Options
    E.K wrote:
    I still can't believe that someone is coming all the way from NYC to attend Big Day Out. :o:lol:

Maybe even someone from Moscow ;)
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    bramnieskensbramnieskens The Netherlands Posts: 101
    E.K wrote:

Amsterdam is also there! :lol:

2007: Nijmegen
    2010: Nijmegen
    2012: Amsterdam 1
    2013: Los Angeles 1 & 2
    2014: Gold Coast
    2018: Amsterdam 1 & 2, Prague, Krakow, Berlin

• Options
    morello wrote:

Updated in Google doc :)
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    IGOTSHIT15 wrote:
    Lived in NYC for the past 10 years and I am moving to Melbourne in two weeks. Naturally I was upset when they announced the North American tour since I would only get to see them at wrigley this year.....then they make this Big Day out announcement!!!!

I will be at Melbourne, Sydney 1 & 2, and possibly Perth (still working on Gold Coast also)

Can't wait to have beers with all of you

Why the move?

And beers for sure!
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    Early Pre-party Information.
    Still need volunteers to help organise pre-party's for:
    Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide.
    More helpers for other city's welcome too!

Auckland Pre-party Event:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/513553692060202/

Gold Coast Pre-party Event:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/490492541037055/

Perth Pre-party Event:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/405994352838619/

GC Pre-party Link added Save the Dates only so far.
    Still need help for Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide Pre-parties.
    It is simple and it will be great!

Also, Google Doc https://docs.google.com/document/d/159y ... qVkxI/edit updated.

Roll Call updated too!
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    your move nowyour move now Posts: 1,165
    Early Pre-party Information.
    Still need volunteers to help organise pre-party's for:
    Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide.
    More helpers for other city's welcome too!

Auckland Pre-party Event:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/513553692060202/

Gold Coast Pre-party Event:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/490492541037055/

Perth Pre-party Event:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/405994352838619/

GC Pre-party Link added Save the Dates only so far.
    Still need help for Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide Pre-parties.
    It is simple and it will be great!

Also, Google Doc https://docs.google.com/document/d/159y ... qVkxI/edit updated.

Roll Call updated too!

Can maybe help out for Melbourne>?
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • Options
    hjs1csshjs1css Posts: 3
    Hey Jodie,

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this yet (apologies if they have), but this is Transport information for the Perth BDO:
    Ticket price includes TransPerth transportation - that means buses and trains. The easiest way to get to the Showgrounds by far is the train. There is a specific station for it. But check out their website closer to the time for further details - http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/

This means that accomodation-wise, you are far better off staying in the CBD. Check out the IBIS on Murray Street - <5 mins walk from the station and close to bars and restaurants. It's also worth looking at Lastminute.com and/or WotIf for their Secret Hotel deals which can save you a lot of money and are normally in the CBD (the description will give an idea of location).

Hope this helps,

Helen.
    A distant place is where we're livin'
  • Options
    hjs1css wrote:
    Hey Jodie,

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this yet (apologies if they have), but this is Transport information for the Perth BDO:
    Ticket price includes TransPerth transportation - that means buses and trains. The easiest way to get to the Showgrounds by far is the train. There is a specific station for it. But check out their website closer to the time for further details - http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/

This means that accomodation-wise, you are far better off staying in the CBD. Check out the IBIS on Murray Street - <5 mins walk from the station and close to bars and restaurants. It's also worth looking at Lastminute.com and/or WotIf for their Secret Hotel deals which can save you a lot of money and are normally in the CBD (the description will give an idea of location).

Hope this helps,

Helen.

Thanks Helen :)
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    Can maybe help out for Melbourne>?

Can you please PM me your email address?
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    E.K wrote:

NZ & OZ > NYC in January. Trust me ;) :thumbup:

I'ma come back sunburnt & happy while everyone else was dealing with snow :D8-)
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    tinkerbelltinkerbell New Zealand Posts: 2,161
    Well I did a little happy dance when I heard that PJ were headliners and was super psyched but now I'm not sure if I have anyone to come with me :( it's a long drive to Auckland by myself.... if they were headlining then I would go by myself but I've never been to a BDO so not keen to go alone. :evil:
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Options
    heyjoseheyjose Melbourne, Australia Posts: 503
    Hey Jodie,

Great work on organising the other pre-parties. I'd be happy to help with Melbourne. :)

Doing GC, Melb and Syd 1.

I remember you discussing it somewhere on the FB Pearl Jammers page? Don't come here as often as I used to.

Brad
    1995: Melbourne 1
    1998: Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2003: Sydney 1, 2, 3, Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2006: Sydney 1, 2, Melbourne 1, 2, 3, Sydney 3, Newcastle, Adelaide 1, 2, Perth
    2009: LA 1, 2, Melbourne, Sydney
    2014: Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney

• Options
    tinkerbell wrote:
    Well I did a little happy dance when I heard that PJ were headliners and was super psyched but now I'm not sure if I have anyone to come with me :( it's a long drive to Auckland by myself.... if they were headlining then I would go by myself but I've never been to a BDO so not keen to go alone. :evil:

There will be a bunch of us there. Happy to meet up earlier, as will morello and doompony :) plus others
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    heyjose wrote:
    Hey Jodie,

Great work on organising the other pre-parties. I'd be happy to help with Melbourne. :)

Doing GC, Melb and Syd 1.

I remember you discussing it somewhere on the FB Pearl Jammers page? Don't come here as often as I used to.

Brad

I've had help with the other pre-parties from some wonderful people :)
    Can you please PM me your email address? Cheers
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    jodiemjodiem Posts: 133
    E.K wrote:

Woo hoo!!! :clap::clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    1995: Perth
    2006: Sydney x 2
    2009: Philly, Sydney
    2013: San Diego, LA1 & 2, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Vancouver, Seattle

EV Solo - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney x 2
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    edited August 2013
    tinkerbell wrote:

There will be a bunch of us there. Happy to meet up earlier, as will morello and doompony :) plus others
    Yep, no way you'd be on your own once you get to Auckland if you don't want to be. If you can make it here on the Thursday, day before the BDO, & head along to the pre-party you can meet up with peeps but even if you can't there'll be a posse of us at the BDO I'm sure. :)
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    E.K wrote:

Hey bramnieskens, is that right? Looks like we're on the same boat, thinking to do this crazy trip. :twisted:

I am the one from Moscow. I have baggage too, wife and a baby. :mrgreen:

Were you able to find some good flights? Looks like connecting flights should go through UAE or Qatar, is that also the case for you? What about the prices you are receiving? Best I can get is 1.500 - 2.000 USD / person. I'd be happy if I could find a deal for 1.000, but it seems to not exist. :cry:
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    tinkerbell wrote:

Don't let that stop you! You wont be alone, there's a bunch of us going, I've been to a BDO before, its not scary at all. There will be plenty of us around that you could hang out with :mrgreen:
    Pearl Jam Pearl Jam Pearl Jam!

I'm looking to buy a single ticket to Ed's Sydney Opera House show, PM me if you've got a spare! I don't care where the seat is! :D
  • Options
    Cheapest I can find from Moscow is about $1500USD/per person with stop over in Beijing.
    Dubai stopover may be better for you.

I've stopped over in Dubai before and it's fairly good.
    They have a hotel in the airport which I think you can pay for by the hour. So say you are there 5hrs on a layover, you can get a room with bed/tv/shower for that time and relax. Might be good for you and the family!
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson