Options

Big Day Out 2014– Aust&NZ– Pre-partys, Travel Info&Roll Call

Comments

• Options
    goldrush wrote:
    Big Day out have cancelled the second Sydney show:

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2013/09/27/big-day-out-pulls-second-sydney-show/
    The Big Day Out festival have pulled their second Sydney event, with organisers admitting that they were “perhaps a bit ambitious”.

The date planned for Monday 27 January will now consolidate into the Sunday 26 January Australia Day festival.

Festival promoter Ken West, who is believed to have sold his stake in the event to AJ Maddah recently, told theMusic.com.au prior to the artist announcement that the two Sydney shows were a gamble, but they felt they had the capacity for it.

“It’s an experiment, it’s the same show twice apart from local bands, and a few bands have indicated that they’ll play different sets,” he said. “It might be a total fuck-up, but it feels right.”

Today organisers said that were "looking into a possible extended capacity" for the Sunday event. Tickets for the Monday 27 event are automatically valid for the Sunday 26 date, but punters holding Monday 27 tickets also have the option to swap it for a date in another city or opt for a refund.

The year's event features one of the biggest Big Day Out line-ups in years, with Arcade Fire, Blur and Pearl Jam headlining.
    Damn it. thanks for the up date
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,307
    goldrush wrote:
    Big Day out have cancelled the second Sydney show:

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2013/09/27/big-day-out-pulls-second-sydney-show/
    The Big Day Out festival have pulled their second Sydney event, with organisers admitting that they were “perhaps a bit ambitious”.

The date planned for Monday 27 January will now consolidate into the Sunday 26 January Australia Day festival.

Festival promoter Ken West, who is believed to have sold his stake in the event to AJ Maddah recently, told theMusic.com.au prior to the artist announcement that the two Sydney shows were a gamble, but they felt they had the capacity for it.

“It’s an experiment, it’s the same show twice apart from local bands, and a few bands have indicated that they’ll play different sets,” he said. “It might be a total fuck-up, but it feels right.”

Today organisers said that were "looking into a possible extended capacity" for the Sunday event. Tickets for the Monday 27 event are automatically valid for the Sunday 26 date, but punters holding Monday 27 tickets also have the option to swap it for a date in another city or opt for a refund.

The year's event features one of the biggest Big Day Out line-ups in years, with Arcade Fire, Blur and Pearl Jam headlining.
    Damn it. thanks for the up date
    I'm slightly concerned about the part in bold. If tickets for the 27th are now valid for the 26th then how are they going to keep the capacity under control and not overcrowded?
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    MangoMango Brisbane, Australia (via Dublin, Ireland) Posts: 1,049
    Second Sydney show has been cancelled: January 27 gig. Check your emails.

BIG DAY OUT 2014
    Second Sydney Show CANCELLED
    Hi all,

Perhaps we were a bit ambitious expanding to two dates in Sydney for this year's Big Day Out ... The Sydney Big Day Out show scheduled for Monday, January 27 will now be merged into one show on Sunday, January 26th, Australia Day.

Fans who purchased tickets for the Monday, January 27 show will have three options:

You can use your January 27 ticket for the January 26 festival - there is no need to exchange your tickets or do anything further if you wish to attend the Big Day Out on Sunday 26 January as they are automatically valid.
    You can get a full refund until October 30, 2013 - information is listed below.
    You can exchange your 27 January ticket(s) for any other (Gold Coast, Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth) Australian Big Day Out festival - information is listed below.

We look forward to celebrating Australia Day with you ... it's going to be an AMAZING day and evening of music.

Ken West
    Big Day Out
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702
    Mango wrote:

BIG DAY OUT 2014
    Hi all,

Perhaps we were a bit ambitious expanding to two dates in Sydney for this year's Big Day Out ... The Sydney Big Day Out show scheduled for Monday, January 27 will now be merged into one show on Sunday, January 26th, Australia Day.

Fans who purchased tickets for the Monday, January 27 show will have three options:

You can use your January 27 ticket for the January 26 festival - there is no need to exchange your tickets or do anything further if you wish to attend the Big Day Out on Sunday 26 January as they are automatically valid.
    You can exchange your 27 January ticket(s) for any other (Gold Coast, Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth) Australian Big Day Out festival - information is listed below.

We look forward to celebrating Australia Day with you ... it's going to be an AMAZING day and evening of music.

Ken West
    Big Day Out

I'd say a lot of Sydney people would have bought tickets for the January 27 BDO so as to avoid the January 26 Australia Day crowds.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Thanks for the update. Definitely disappointing, but in my case not too much. I'm actually excited for the time this frees up for me to spend exploring Sydney. And also the refund :thumbup:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    duska3419 wrote:
    Thanks for the update. Definitely disappointing, but in my case not too much. I'm actually excited for the time this frees up for me to spend exploring Sydney. And also the refund :thumbup:

I don't have tickets for Sydney BDO but I was thinking that the same festival two days in a row would be kind of weird.

Enjoy Sydney .. I lived there for 20 years. It's a great city.

8-)
  • Options
    E.K wrote:
    Mango wrote:

BIG DAY OUT 2014
    Hi all,

Ken West
    Big Day Out

I'd say a lot of Sydney people would have bought tickets for the January 27 BDO so as to avoid the January 26 Australia Day crowds.

Actually by the sounds of it, hardly anyone bought tickets for the 27th.
    Come to send, not condescend...
  • Options
    JK109224 wrote:
    E.K wrote:
    Mango wrote:

BIG DAY OUT 2014
    Hi all,

Ken West
    Big Day Out

Actually by the sounds of it, hardly anyone bought tickets for the 27th.

I think PJ should back out of BDO and do a proper Australian tour.
  • Options
    ticket sales must be really shit if they've merged the two sydney shows and it's not sold out
  • Options
    Am totally pee'd off - have bought ticket for 27th TO avoid the crush of Australia Day. Fukkah!!!!
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    That's really annoying about the 2nd show being cancelled. Hopefully the refund process isn't too annoying (I bought mine from General Pants).
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    The Oracle wrote:
    Am totally pee'd off - have bought ticket for 27th TO avoid the crush of Australia Day. Fukkah!!!!

Yeah I'd say a lot of people bought tickets for the 27th for that reason. Are you going to go on the 26th then?
  • Options
    JW46593JW46593 Portland, Oregon Posts: 6
    the auckland facebook event looks like its not working
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    JW46593 wrote:
    the auckland facebook event looks like its not working
    It's definitely working, I was in there earlier today. I think you have to be friends with one of us organisers so PM me or princess bulldozer.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Anyone flying from the US, check out flights on Cathay Pacific. Seems like some "cheap" fares started showing up (~$1700 round trip NYC-Melbourne). These were north of $2,000 up till a week or so ago, and I've been looking the last few months and haven't found fares cheaper than ~$1,600 on any airline. I can't say enough good things about Cathay. Most importantly, they handle flight transfers like a pro.

PS Jodie, that's a nice looking Word document you got there :mrgreen:
  • Options
    MangoMango Brisbane, Australia (via Dublin, Ireland) Posts: 1,049
    Has there been any official word from the band about this? I would have thought they'd post something in the news section maybe. Obviously it wont change a thing but . . . well Im not really sure where Im going with this.
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,648
    Suziemay wrote:
    Anyone flying from the US, check out flights on Cathay Pacific. Seems like some "cheap" fares started showing up (~$1700 round trip NYC-Melbourne). These were north of $2,000 up till a week or so ago, and I've been looking the last few months and haven't found fares cheaper than ~$1,600 on any airline. I can't say enough good things about Cathay. Most importantly, they handle flight transfers like a pro.

THanks -got my flight from Boston there (points) but nothing back yet - playing the waiting game for now.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Suziemay wrote:

THanks -got my flight from Boston there (points) but nothing back yet - playing the waiting game for now.
    Awesome. Good luck! Just so you're aware, Aussie Open is January 13-26 in Melbourne, and Chinese New Year is January 31 which might have some impact on the fares (since Cathay flies through Hong Kong). I didn't think the fare would drop from the $2,000 round trip range and it did so it's anyone's guess what it will do. If you see a fare that's lower than what you've been seeing, you might want to snap it up unless you have flexibility in when you are flying.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Damn too bad I booked my flights already.

I still have to plan ~2 weeks in NZ, how far in advance are hotels and busses and things usually booked for domestic NZ travel?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    duska3419 wrote:
    Damn too bad I booked my flights already.

I still have to plan ~2 weeks in NZ, how far in advance are hotels and busses and things usually booked for domestic NZ travel?
    No idea sorry. Late Jan shouldn't be too bad though. Still busy time but not crazy busy like over Xmas or Easter I expect.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    Mango wrote:
    Has there been any official word from the band about this? I would have thought they'd post something in the news section maybe. Obviously it wont change a thing but . . . well Im not really sure where Im going with this.

You mean the cancellation of the January 27 Sydney Big Day Out?

It's been removed from the list in the Pearl Jam Tour section but that's it.
  • Options
    Hi all, I will be happy to help set up in Melb... my umpteenth PJ show but first involved with 10Club.... I fly in 22nd & have 23rd free to help with whatever... I am an Aussie living in New Caledonia & it will be my wife's first ever PJ show & first ever stadium experience... If you need anything in Melb, contact me, I have plenty of family down there & contacts to help arrange stuff... <!-- e --><a href="mailto:greatwhite@shirehunters.com">greatwhite@shirehunters.com</a><!-- e -->

Look forward to a pre party & GOD PLEASE BLESS US ALL & let PJ do some sort of private show, preferable 10club based ticketing.... I am with some other posts, BDO is kinda lame these days, basically don't know any other bands playing, who cares about Snoop Dog then who? Either way, PJ is the highlight so let the countdown begin!
  • Options
    shonnyshonny Posts: 1
    Wasn't going to buy tickets for Melbourne when I heard about them playing BDO's but its made me so sad and angry and family are like just buy the goddamn tickets (even small child)!! I've read your forum and am thinking just maybe I won't feel 100 if surrounded by the people of Ten!! Have my finger on the BDO ticket sales... would love to join the pre party..
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    shonny wrote:
    Wasn't going to buy tickets for Melbourne when I heard about them playing BDO's but its made me so sad and angry and family are like just buy the goddamn tickets (even small child)!! I've read your forum and am thinking just maybe I won't feel 100 if surrounded by the people of Ten!! Have my finger on the BDO ticket sales... would love to join the pre party..

Do it, I didn't want to go to a festival either, but there is no other way to see PJ. We are going to Sydney BDO and I thought you will regret it if you don't go. :)
  • Options
    100 days to Pearl Jam bdo gold coast!
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126

Cant wait mate - I'll be the guy in the PJ shirt :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    No Coder wrote:

Cant wait mate - I'll be the guy in the PJ shirt :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

sweet ill look out for you :lol:
  • Options
    Greg354xxxGreg354xxx Toowoomba, QLD, Australia Posts: 77
    Has anyone spoken about what will be the deal with merch on the BDO tour? Will there be posters available? How awkward carrying a poster around all day! Maybe pop up shops the day before each show?
    Brisbane: 14/03/98, 08/02/03, 10/11/06, 25/11/09
    Gold Coast: 19/01/14
    Ed solo: 12/03/11, 25/02/14
  • Options

Wow. I'm going to be there too.

Hoping it's not going to be a really hot day that day .. but of course it will. Either that or a huge thunderstorm. :lol:
  • Options
    belinda27belinda27 Posts: 731
    Greg354xxx wrote:
    Has anyone spoken about what will be the deal with merch on the BDO tour? Will there be posters available? How awkward carrying a poster around all day! Maybe pop up shops the day before each show?
    I noticed some BDO posters on ebay yesterday but not PJ specific just the line up list...can't wait to see what PJ has! :D