Options

Big Day Out 2014– Aust&NZ– Pre-partys, Travel Info&Roll Call

Comments

• Options
    bramnieskensbramnieskens The Netherlands Posts: 101
    jumbojet wrote:
    Sorry for my late reply. was out for the weekend. I have booked a one way ticket to Melbourne with stopovers in LA and Auckland. Going to see them in LA as well. Ticket was 1500 USD. The cheapest will be like Princess Bulldozer said, or via Kuala Lumpur.

Yes, that looks like a good deal. Enjoy the shows.

thanks! you too.
    prob see you there in the sun with a beer ;)

2007: Nijmegen
    2010: Nijmegen
    2012: Amsterdam 1
    2013: Los Angeles 1 & 2
    2014: Gold Coast
    2018: Amsterdam 1 & 2, Prague, Krakow, Berlin

• Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    jumbojet wrote:
    Sorry for my late reply. was out for the weekend. I have booked a one way ticket to Melbourne with stopovers in LA and Auckland. Going to see them in LA as well. Ticket was 1500 USD. The cheapest will be like Princess Bulldozer said, or via Kuala Lumpur.

thanks! you too.

Let's see what happens.
    If I understand your route correctly, you will be always heading west, correct? Even on your way back. :idea:
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    Bump :)
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    bramnieskensbramnieskens The Netherlands Posts: 101
    jumbojet wrote:
    jumbojet wrote:

thanks! you too.

Let's see what happens.
    If I understand your route correctly, you will be always heading west, correct? Even on your way back. :idea:

I don't know when I go back again. If Australia is good for me I'll stay...
    But yes, on my way to Melbourne I'm heading west. In Australia I'll travel up to the east coast

2007: Nijmegen
    2010: Nijmegen
    2012: Amsterdam 1
    2013: Los Angeles 1 & 2
    2014: Gold Coast
    2018: Amsterdam 1 & 2, Prague, Krakow, Berlin

• Options
    jack cameronjack cameron Sydney Posts: 340
    I haven't been added to Sydney 1 & 2.. :cry:
    Pearl Jam: 11/02/03 • 13/02/03 • 18/02/03 • 07/11/06 • 13/11/06 • 16/11/06 • 18/11/06 • 19/11/06 • 20/11/09 • 22/11/09 • 26/01/14
    Eddie Vedder: 15/03/11 • 16/03/11 • 18/03/11 • 19/03/11 • 11/02/14 • 12/02/14
  • Options
    I haven't been added to Sydney 1 & 2.. :cry:

Be patient :).

It's too hard to do from my phone and I've been sick all week so haven't been on the computer much.

See you in Syd though :)
    Want to help organise the pre-party for your city?

Updated you to the first page too! :)
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    just thought i would share this it may be of some help to someone.

i just booked some ofmy flights. brisbane to melbourne then melbourne to sydney, it costs me $90.
    so basically go to tiger airways to get there prices generally the cheapest but dont book with them (too unreliable for my liking and have hidden cost so flying with them could cost more in the long run) then go to jetstar they have a 10% price beat gaurentee on compareable flight times on the same day (not sure how flexible they are with this but it worked for me)
    by doing this i saved around $115 on advertised prices get to fly on a better airline at the times i want to fly, yay.
    will be doing this for the rest of my bookings as im doin the full bdo aussie curcuit'

also dont leave your flight/accomm bookings too long i think things will book up quickly and whats left will become quite pricey.
  • Options
    just thought i would share this it may be of some help to someone.

i just booked some ofmy flights. brisbane to melbourne then melbourne to sydney, it costs me $90.
    so basically go to tiger airways to get there prices generally the cheapest but dont book with them (too unreliable for my liking and have hidden cost so flying with them could cost more in the long run) then go to jetstar they have a 10% price beat gaurentee on compareable flight times on the same day (not sure how flexible they are with this but it worked for me)
    by doing this i saved around $115 on advertised prices get to fly on a better airline at the times i want to fly, yay.
    will be doing this for the rest of my bookings as im doin the full bdo aussie curcuit'

also dont leave your flight/accomm bookings too long i think things will book up quickly and whats left will become quite pricey.

Do you have to email jetstar?
    Or just send them a copy of the tiger stuff?

~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    nah just phone them up. i had jetstar opened in one tab, tiger on another tab so i could compare. then i called them and they looked it up for themselves to confirm it
  • Options
    nah just phone them up. i had jetstar opened in one tab, tiger on another tab so i could compare. then i called them and they looked it up for themselves to confirm it

I might do this :)

Thanks again.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options

Thanks again.
    no worries we need to save money where we can here, it may not work everytime for example sydney to adel looks like jetstar is already the cheapest but virgin air for example may do the same price beat gaurentee
  • Options

Thanks again.
    no worries we need to save money where we can here, it may not work everytime for example sydney to adel looks like jetstar is already the cheapest but virgin air for example may do the same price beat gaurentee

I might have to contact Virgin Blue, but there is nothing about it on their website.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    yeah i saw nothing on virgin website.

update: normally booking via phone there's a booking fee however since they did a %10 price beat gaurentee for me that fee seemed to be waived. just booked online syd to adel, to avoid this booking fee i did a bank transfer. this doesnt work with every bank either, cheers
  • Options
    Kiwi In OzKiwi In Oz Canberra Posts: 266
    Hey Jodie,

Going to

Auckland
    Gold Coast
    Sydney 1 & 2
    Melbourne

I've got a wedding in Christchurch on the 1st Feb otherwise..........

Looking forward to meeting a few jammers on tour (again :lol: )

PS Still got spare reserved seats to Oakland, Portland and Vancouver - face of cousre :D
    1995 - Auckland, New Zealand
    1998 - Wellington + Auckland, New Zealand
    2000 - London, UK x 2
    2006 - Melbourne, Australia x 3
    2009 - Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland
    2010 - Newark, MSG x 2
    2011 - PJ20 & EV Brisbane 2, Canberra, Melbourne x 2, Adelaide 1, Perth 2
    2013 - San Diego, Los Angeles, Oakland, Portland, Vancouver, Seattle
    2014 - Auckland, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney & EV - Sydney x 2
    2015 - Mexico City
    2016 - Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Hampton, Fenway x 2
    2023 - Fort Worth x 2, Austin x 2
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Do you guys really not tip out there? I read something somewhere, I think it was tripadvisor or something, that said tipping isn't as customary in Australia as it is in the US and I just want to get some feedback from real life Australians on that. I generally over tip, because i come from a long line of bartenders and waitresses and it's just internalized behavior for me.
    My breakfast got me thinking about this.

I ordered breakfast from my usual spot, but it's raining so I give the guy an extra $1, which means a $4 tip to bring my lazy ass coffee ~10 blocks in the rain.

If I'm sitting down someplace, be it a bar or restaurant, tip is generally 15-20%, and only under certain circumstances more than 25%

For taxis, $2-$4 depending on a variety of things. Speaking of taxis! Do you guys typically jump in the passenger seat or the backseat?

And what's the protocol in NZ for tipping? There might be a cabbie somewhere in Auckland that owes me like $5. :lol:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    Tipping doesn't happen in nz.
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    doompony wrote:
    +1. I second what doompony says here. We don't tip in NZ, unless you're at a rather posh restaurant & the service has actually been excellent but even so they get an ok wage here so it's not required.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    thanks for the info !

I looked this up for Oz before PB answered, it turns out that in Melbourne a waitress has to be paid the minimum wage which is over $16 an hour. Where I'm from, the minimum wage is $7.25 but waitstaff or 'tipped workers' like waiters have a minimum wage of $5 an hour.

Thanks for clearing this up, this is really good info to have and probably just saved me a lot of money.
    Post edited by ldent42 on
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    We don't tip anyone anywhere anytime.
    Maybe a really good bartender or waitress, if it was excellent excellent excellent.

Taxi, usually back seat.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    Kiwi In Oz wrote:
    Hey Jodie,

Going to

Auckland
    Gold Coast
    Sydney 1 & 2
    Melbourne

I've got a wedding in Christchurch on the 1st Feb otherwise..........

Looking forward to meeting a few jammers on tour (again :lol: )

PS Still got spare reserved seats to Oakland, Portland and Vancouver - face of cousre :D

Awesome :)
    I'll update later.
    Wish I could hit those US dates.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    doompony wrote:
    +1. I second what doompony says here. We don't tip in NZ, unless you're at a rather posh restaurant & the service has actually been excellent but even so they get an ok wage here so it's not required.

before the pixies we went to some tapas bar under the sky tower (or.. near it) and when i went to pay the bill i got totally tricked into tipping. when i rejoined my friends and made a comment about how weird the eftpos was making me tip they were like "you DIDN'T tip them did you? idiot.."

...dang.
  • Options
    duska3419 wrote:
    thanks for the info !

I looked this up for Oz before PB answered, it turns out that in Melbourne a waitress has to be paid the minimum wage which is over $16 an hour. Where I'm from, the minimum wage is $7.25 but waitstaff or 'tipped workers' like waiters have a minimum wage of $5 an hour.

Thanks for clearing this up, this is really good info to have and probably just saved me a lot of money.

Just remember though, the cost of living in Australia is much higher than the US, so our minimum wage has to be relatively higher to compensate or we would have many people living in poverty.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    duska3419 wrote:
    thanks for the info !

Tipping isn't expected :) . If you go to a cafe or restaurant for a nice meal, you could tip a few dollars when you pay your bill or some cafes might have a tip jar at the counter, but you don't have to tip.

As you said, the minimum wage here is higher and the cost of living is high too. Eating out can be quite expensive here so you'll probably be glad that you don't have to tip an extra 15-20% like you do in the US.
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • Options
    duska3419 wrote:
    thanks for the info !

Just remember though, the cost of living in Australia is much higher than the US, so our minimum wage has to be relatively higher to compensate or we would have many people living in poverty.

higher than ny? :? how much is a small latte (or flat white) at a coffee shop? (yes, the price of coffee is what i intend on using as a basis for my budget. :lol: )
  • Options
    $4.50 or so.
  • Options
    duska3419 wrote:
    duska3419 wrote:
    thanks for the info !

higher than ny? :? how much is a small latte (or flat white) at a coffee shop? (yes, the price of coffee is what i intend on using as a basis for my budget. :lol: )

$4 or so.

I lived in San Francisco for 6 months last year and I was so surprised to realise that we pay through the nose in Australia for a lot of things. My rent was cheaper in SF than it is in Brisbane. And Brisbane is a large town in comparison to SF.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    I'm gonna need an earthquake preparedness lesson from the auckland crew . :?
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    edited August 2013
    duska3419 wrote:
    I'm gonna need an earthquake preparedness lesson from the auckland crew . :?
    It was fine in Auckland. Up at my work we all sat around wondering at what point we should get under our desks. I felt another aftershock about 10 minutes ago.
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    we were under our desks. it was terrifying.
  • Options
    moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    duska3419 wrote:
    Do you guys really not tip out there? I read something somewhere, I think it was tripadvisor or something, that said tipping isn't as customary in Australia as it is in the US and I just want to get some feedback from real life Australians on that. I generally over tip, because i come from a long line of bartenders and waitresses and it's just internalized behavior for me.
    My breakfast got me thinking about this.

I ordered breakfast from my usual spot, but it's raining so I give the guy an extra $1, which means a $4 tip to bring my lazy ass coffee ~10 blocks in the rain.

If I'm sitting down someplace, be it a bar or restaurant, tip is generally 15-20%, and only under certain circumstances more than 25%

For taxis, $2-$4 depending on a variety of things. Speaking of taxis! Do you guys typically jump in the passenger seat or the backseat?

And what's the protocol in NZ for tipping? There might be a cabbie somewhere in Auckland that owes me like $5. :lol:

Tipping in Australia, isn't expected but is appreciated. I don't usually don't tip if I'm just having coffee and cake in a cafe, but always tip at least 10% for table service if I'm having a meal. Give the tip as cash directly to the waitperson where ever possible (or put cash in the communal tip jar). Don't pay it as a 'gratuity' as part of your bill on a credit card - I'm not confident that this gets to the wait staff. That's just my two cents worth of advice - I have friends and family members who get angry with me for leaving a tip for a "person who gets paid to do that job" but I think that's a bit of a dog-attitude really.