Anyone Ever Experience Anything Paranormal?

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    thank you for the heads up, h
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    edited October 2014
    Did you ever see John Edward's "crossing over". I liked that show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcrxeQiOdVg
    Post edited by rollings on
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I've seen bits and pieces of his show over time.

I think I've mentioned it before, but I tend to be skeptical of those who use the cameras to their advantage. Feels like milking something to me that is intimate. Not to discount the extra sense(s) anyone may have...just brings out the cynic in me.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    hedonist said:

OK, probably not worth your effort. I couldn't last more than part of one 30-min. episode.

Too much shtick and over-the-topness for me.

I've posted this earlier in the thread but it's worth a listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-syWEsODFaY
    I'll say right off the bat I watched about 1:30 of that, dignin - felt I got the gist by then and don't necessarily disagree with the bit seen. So much information out there for anyone to see and use. Many means to manipulate emotions and losses and experiences.

Still felt like an MO was attached.

Any quack in any field should be exposed as frauds and predators. Still, I don't think those who take advantage should detract from those who maybe do have a sixth or even seventh sense.

Until given a solid reason not to be...I'm open.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    It would need to be more thAn the sixth sense, we have at least 11 physical senses ;)
    The twelfth sense just doesnt have that same ring to it lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Hedo,Don't quit on Long Island Medium.Yes its schtickky,and reality show corny,but she is for real with her readings.Just fast forward the nonsense and watch the readings.
    rr165892 said:

Hedo,Don't quit on Long Island Medium.Yes its schtickky,and reality show corny,but she is for real with her readings.Just fast forward the nonsense and watch the readings.

I'll give it another shot if I come across the show again. What I watched yesterday was her at a women's prison, and it was both fascinating and (given the editing?) pretty impressive. Seemed genuine but tend to take it in with more than a few grains of salt :)
    And gambs! Eleven senses? I always thought five.

Guess I have a meeting with google later on :D
  • OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    edited October 2014
    youtu.be/6qSEi_sfaSU
    This you tube about The Scole Experiment is interesting
    Post edited by OMGkatwoman on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Hahaha oh yeah 5 is nonsense from the 50's that they still teach kids today. It lumps temperature, texture, and pain into one sense of "touch" and leaves out balance, kinesthetic, (close your eyes and move your hands around, you can sense where they are in space) time and balance among others...there is quite a bit of debate on what constitutes a sense, mainly centered on whether or not there is a group of sensory cells corresponding with related regions of the brain , for the associated sense. The sensation of itching has it's own specific neurons and receptors, but isn't considered a separate sense, thereby illuminating the question of just how many sense are there?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    rr165892 said:

Life is to short to waste your time on that garbage.
    still waiting......... so is anyone gonna tell me that is a bear? (a page or two back)

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

youtu.be/6qSEi_sfaSU
    This you tube about The Scole Experiment is interesting

checkin this out

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    cool documentary, kat. thanks. i had never heard of this research/experiment not once. that surprises me as i'm constantly looking for new stories, new research or new whatever it may be

i would like to be present while they do their thing

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    You are welcome
    have another neat story or documentary?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Just this for now, http://youtu.be/7syfSisa3Ec
  • I saw John Edward in DC along with 3,000 other people. I was sitting in the upper balcony, far from the stage and was the twelfth and last person he read that night. He pointed to my area and said he felt someone coming through. Another lady a few rows ahead of me thought it was for her. But her parent was in a hospice hospital and not at home and she did not administer or monitor medicine. He asked if there was someone else in my section who could relate to this. [I thought at the time that if he was a fraud, he could have just run with the first lady.] I raised my hand and, after confirming that my mom was in at-home hospice care and that I indeed, monitored and administered her medication, he "read" me. Though I want to believe he connected with my mom, I still wonder. Anyway, I thought I'd share my experience. Here are a few points he hit:

1. Your mom wants you to know you did the right thing regarding the medicine. [how could he know I worried I'd given her too much?]
    2. She has a small grey dog with her. [my grey, miniature schnauzer died two months after mom]
    3. Your mom says to tell you she likes your new curtains. [after mom died, I finally replaced the former owner's curtains--always hated them--had them for ten years!]
    4. He said you have nephew graduating from high school and that my mom doesn't want me to forget. [I denied it, but John insisted. I later realized he was correct. Mom was always reminding me of birthdays and special occasions; this was so like her!]
    5. Was there a tricycle in the house; I see streamers at the side like handlebars and something red in the middle, like a tricycle? [well, this could be a stretch, but I did relate to something that was kind of sort of like a tricycle--my mom's walker; it had dish towels hanging down from each side and a red stocking hanging from the middle--it was Christmas time.]
    6. You have a big family, five siblings. [true!]
    7. Someone is moving, a brother?, but it is the house next door. [true, brother had a duplex, just finished renovating one side and was moving into it from the other.]
    mojamom, I read your post earlier and have been chewing on it since.

The part about your mom's walker kind of gave me the chills, but I think I'm with you on the "want to believe but still wonder" side of things.

He may well have that ability to sense, connect, feel...however, the showmanship side of it (3,000 people?!) leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

If you don't mind my asking, what brought you to be in the audience?
  • Hedonist.... A friend called me the night before the event and asked if I wanted to go. She had an extra ticket. I wasn't registered for the event and I sat so far away from the stage there is no way John could see my facial expressions.

I was always very careful to reply with as few words as possible; a simple "yes" or "no." The skeptic in me didn't want to give anything away. He had people with microphones at various areas of the hall (Constitution Hall) and when someone acknowledged that he might be referring to them, someone would give them a microphone and John would ask a few more questions to make sure he had the right person, as he did in my case with the lady a few rows ahead of me.

People assume maybe I spoke of some of these things and John has microphones and cameras everywhere before the show or that he had my name and did a little research. But I spoke to no one before or at the event about these things; we were late getting there and sat down just before it started. Again, I wasn't even registered to be there.

If this hadn't happened to me I'd have a hard time believing it. On a side note-- my mom watched the John Edward show and read one of his books. Before she died, I asked her to come up with a "sign" that if I ever went to see him that I would know it was her coming through. All she said was "trust me, you'll know." Kind of makes me feel bad that I am still not 100% convinced. But the only thing I can account for John's being so right on so many specific things is that he can do what he says or he's great at making generalizations personal.
    Were I given an opportunity to attend, I'd go, even if only out of curiosity. I know how just a name can yield a plethora of personal information but since I'm not on any social media (except here!), it'd be interesting to see what happens. I often wonder about my dad, who died six years ago. I've smelled/sensed him just twice since then, and it brought such comfort (bit of sadness too, but that's par for the course).

Sounds like you and your mom were tight. Her saying "trust me, you'll know" made me smile.

As to "making generalizations personal", I hear you. In a psychology course taken years ago, we were given a personality quiz. Are you introverted, spontaneous, what would you do in X situation, etc. Couple days later, the results arrive and are handed out. The class is asked how accurately they were assessed, and almost everyone raised their hand as a "yes".

We were all given the exact same assessment.
  • Every one thinks I am intuitive--- maybe this is what helped me "connect"--- though skeptical, I was open to the possibility of energy we don't yet know about or understand. Sounds like you are intuitive and open too--you already recognized some things you can connect with your dad.

Regarding your comment about the showmanship factor--- that was something I grappled with too, but my view is that he is providing an affordable forum for those curious like me. Is he exploiting the grieving to make a living? I don't know. My sense is he believes in what he is doing.

What can't be denied though, is how I felt when he was "connecting" me and my mom-- it was a sense of peace and comfort like you mentioned above at the smell/sound of your dad. It felt good.

By the way, this occurred about ten years ago--- much before the plethora of social media we have today.

If you ever get a chance to go, I hope you will remember this conversation and send me a message or post something. (I am rarely on here, so a message would be better). I'd be interested in your experience and thoughts about it.
    I always remember the conversations that have impacted me in some way - typically in the positive sense. I put this one in that box :)

Will definitely let you know what happens if it does.

And, I hope you check in here more often. Always appreciate thoughtful eloquence and honesty.
    sounds about right. i wouldn't be skeptical at all if i were you.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick said:

Nor would I
    chadwick said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA_6sjYd-m4
    nicely done

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • I have a friend whose mother attended a John Edwards show, and he picked on her as well. He told her things that she already knew as well and added info about the spirit that watches over her and her farm (she already knew this as well and her greenhouses have some funny stuff happen in them). It wasn't shocking to her at all. But I do feel a bit funny about people like Edwards who make money off of their talent (seems sketchy). And I believe in mediums, but I know that there are so many fakes out there, that it's difficult to know who is the real deal.
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    chadwick said:

Count me in.And glad it gave you a little peace.