Options

Anyone Ever Experience Anything Paranormal?

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    rr165892 said:

I will reiterate my position for clarity and to open up a channel of what will probably be verbal abuse.

There are no gods, no masters, no ghosts, no tooth fairies, no Santa Claus, no bigfoot, no demons, etc.

But there is an Easter Bunny.

This is definitely not accurate.I personally know the tooth fairy.Although he hasn't been around our house in 20 years.He is a stealthy fucker,I'll tell you that.
    The tooth fairy used to be more prevalent but has not been seen in our area for years. At the least it is endangered, more likely extinct.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'd never abuse Gern, verbally or otherwise. Or anyone else for their beliefs (or lack thereof).

I wish condescension wouldn't come into the mix as often as it does with topics like this, but I get it. Par for the course.

Pretty sure there's a bunch of shit out there of which I have no idea. Sometimes when syncs happen or a sense beyond the usual is felt, things beyond the norm...it befuddles and fascinates me. Brings wonder to my mind and the typical patterns of thought and experience.

I love it.
  • Options
    What puzzles and sometimes frustrates me is when otherwise intelligent and reasonable people ascribe a paranormal explanation for things that already have another explanation. People talk a lot about "the unexplained", but much of those experiences are actually fairly well characterized scientifically. I haven't read through the entirety of this thread, but have skimmed parts of it and a lot of what people mention are standard sleep-related phenomenon, particularly hypnogogic and hypnopompic phenomena (that is, in the transition zone between wakefulness and sleep, or sleep and wakefulness), with a mixed bag of other known phenomena. I know these can be creepy or even downright terrifying - I still recall like it was yesterday a sleep paralysis experience when I was less than 10 years old - but that doesn't make them paranormal.

As humans, our brains have a cognitive bias to make connections between events. It has been something that has evolutionarily helped us out, but it sometimes leads us astray because we tend to believe there is a connection between unrelated events. We can safely enjoy noticing those moments of apparent connection but we get into tricky territory when we draw meaning from them.

If we're going to be amazed about anything, in my opinion we should be amazed about the capacities of the human brain.
  • Options

If we're going to be amazed about anything, in my opinion we should be amazed about the capacities of the human brain.

Not saying you don't make sense with your post, but the terms themselves - "much of those experiences", "a lot of what people mention" - it's the experiences that fall beyond those terms that get my mind going, and find I can't be so quick to dismiss them (based on my own variables, of course).

Totally agree with the part I quoted. Oliver Sacks wrote a fantastic book about the intricacies of the brain, how it works (tries to work), compensates, develops.

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    chadwick said:

yes it has been violently thrown off track. mostly i can not tell you what i think of all this as i like posting privileges

Sucks to feel pressured not to convey your feelings on a pearl jam board.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124

Instead of sucking blood he claims your soul with a steady stream of crappy movies.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    hedonist said:

I'd never abuse Gern, verbally or otherwise. Or anyone else for their beliefs (or lack thereof).

I wish condescension wouldn't come into the mix as often as it does with topics like this, but I get it. Par for the course.

Pretty sure there's a bunch of shit out there of which I have no idea. Sometimes when syncs happen or a sense beyond the usual is felt, things beyond the norm...it befuddles and fascinates me. Brings wonder to my mind and the typical patterns of thought and experience.

I love it.

So Gern isn't being PC about his views.

Think when some flat out say that there are no gods or goblins many say they are being insensitive. Think this is hockey as evidence validates this position, there are no gods/goblins/spirits Does it hurt feelings? Sure but it is what it is. Are there goblins? Could be but there has been no evidence. None.

And isn't it okay not to be PC ?? Per women are weaker than men?

Peace.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    benjs said:

I stayed at a monastery in Thailand for a few days studying meditation. One room was this screened-in greenhouse in the forest with a big Buddha and some incense and candles to light, and that's where I went for evening meditation. I still remember after what felt like an hour or so, I entered this forest and I saw all these rabbits and foxes running around... then I was jolted out of my state when I watched a rabbit come closer to me and then I felt its paw brush against my skin. That was pretty surreal for me.

i'll try & find this maybe if they have something online. if you know of a site, send it on over. thanks

one time when i was a young kid dad & i went hunting. we made our way slowly through this thick brush & then we just stood there quietly. before long a rabbit came up to me & sat on my foot. that was the coolest thing ever.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    callen said:

hedonist said:

I love it.

Think when some flat out say that there are no gods or goblins they are being insensitive. Think this is hockey as evidence validates this position. Does it hurt feelings?, well so what it is what it is.

Peace.
    What? Not sure where you concluded that from what I wrote; in fact, I made mention of the silliness of PC-ness in another post just a little while ago. So yeah, fine by me to stray from the generally-acceptable.

And I have no problem with flatoutness.

I just think there's a difference between being candid and subtly pissing on someone else's views or experiences.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,003
    chadwick said:

benjs said:

I stayed at a monastery in Thailand for a few days studying meditation. One room was this screened-in greenhouse in the forest with a big Buddha and some incense and candles to light, and that's where I went for evening meditation. I still remember after what felt like an hour or so, I entered this forest and I saw all these rabbits and foxes running around... then I was jolted out of my state when I watched a rabbit come closer to me and then I felt its paw brush against my skin. That was pretty surreal for me.

i'll try & find this maybe if they have something online. if you know of a site, send it on over. thanks

one time when i was a young kid dad & i went hunting. we made our way slowly through this thick brush & then we just stood there quietly. before long a rabbit came up to me & sat on my foot. that was the coolest thing ever.
    Pretty neat, eh? So this felt probably similar to that - except I was in a closed room, this entire forestry scene was fabricated in my mind, and the rabbit that I was certain had scuffed my leg as it scurried by - was only in my mind.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    it doesn't hurt my feeling one bit. it actually makes me realize how closed off many are & how i am not that way. it's a fucking hoot being me. i do hope you all enjoy being who you are. maybe people should work on sharpening their inner senses, it takes more than a lifetime to iron it all out i'll tell you that. but go ahead & pull out your little comedy routines, i really don't give a damn

i've nothing to prove to anyone. sure im sensitive, that does not mean i'm a fucking candy ass little fucker with snot dripping from my nose into my mouth like im 4 years old or some shit.

sensitive means i'm picking up energy from others around me. it's a survival technique way the fuck older than ancient.

so any of you geniuses want to explain how psychics work with detectives & solve abductions & murders?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    hedonist said:

callen said:

hedonist said:

I love it.

Think when some flat out say that there are no gods or goblins they are being insensitive. Think this is hockey as evidence validates this position. Does it hurt feelings?, well so what it is what it is.

Peace.
    What? Not sure where you concluded that from what I wrote; in fact, I made mention of the silliness of PC-ness in another post just a little while ago. So yeah, fine by me to stray from the generally-acceptable.

I just think there's a difference between being candid and subtly pissing on someone else's views or experiences.
    Okay to say "guns suck". Hell okay to say bad things about groups of people But saying there are no gods/goblins/spirits is off limits. And not directing this at you particularly, just think there is this double standard that we shouldn't offend those that believe in Gods. . "It's rude or condescending." Why is this?
    Post edited by callen on
  • Options
    benjs, i understand all that. still i'd like to read about the place

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    callen said:

hedonist said:

callen said:

hedonist said:

I love it.

Peace.

Okay to say "guns suck". Hell okay to say bad things about groups of people But saying there are no gods/goblins/spirits is off limits. And not directing this at you particularly, just think there is this double standard that we shouldn't offend those that believe in Gods. . "It's rude or condescending." Why is this?
    Honestly, I'm kind of lost here, callen - and certainly not offended. I'm agnostic but I don't think this thread has anything to do with god, per se. More about separate and odd instances people have experienced.

Again, I'm for being forthright - not for going in circles...which seems where this is heading.

No matter the issue, simple respect, simple civility without mocking, shouldn't be that much to ask. And if it is for some, I stand corrected!
  • Options
    chadwick said:

benjs, i understand all that. still i'd like to read about the place

Sorry Chadwick! Totally missed that part.

The complex is called Wat Umong (Umong meaning tunnels, there are several old tunnels which were used as the main means of navigating it).

Here's their website in English mode... http://www.watumong.org/webboard/276-หัวข้อธรรมะน่ารู้/437
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited October 2014
    Isn't it a stretch to think everything we experience,feel and witness has to have a logical scientific answer? I Mean how much does anyone know about the afterlife or What happens to the soul? Not much and anyone that says it exists or Dosent is full of shit.The Universe,like us and the Earth is all energy right?
    I don't want to know all the answers.I like the wonder of it all.I def don't think we are alone(Prove to me otherwise)?I love feeling those who have passed can still be with us in some way.Maybe it is all just in our heads and hearts,maybe it's more.
    Take the religion part out of it as that is just mans fantasies about the same issues.But I know its comforting at least in my mind that there is some greater force or energy or whatever you want to describe it as that connects us .And not just in a physical way but in a way that transcends time and space.The universe always gives us signs.Why does putting out true pure positive energy and karma seem to bring it right back like a boomerang.Negative does the same.Why?
    I will continue to believe in something greater then us.What it is I don't know,but it's there,all around us.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    hedonist said:

callen said:

hedonist said:

callen said:

hedonist said:

I love it.

Peace.

Honestly, I'm kind of lost here, callen - and certainly not offended. I'm agnostic but I don't think this thread has anything to do with god, per se. More about separate and odd instances people have experienced.

Again, I'm for being forthright - not for going in circles...which seems where this is heading.

No matter the issue, simple respect, simple civility without mocking, shouldn't be that much to ask. And if it is for some, I stand corrected!
    Right agree with everything you say point was simply that I feel that saying flat out "there is no god" comes off to some as condescending when it shouldn't.

Religions have gotten a pass from scrutiny and think it's hurt society. I mean the Mormons. Really. REALLY?????

Find posts like Gerns refreshing.
    Post edited by callen on
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Isn't it a stretch to think everything we experience,feel and witness has to have a logical scientific answer? I Mean how much does anyone know about the afterlife or What happens to the soul? Not much and anyone that says it exists or Dosent is full of shit.The Universe,like us and the Earth is all energy right?
    I don't want to know all the answers.I like the wonder of it all.I def don't think we are alone(Prove to me otherwise)?I love feeling those who have passed can still be with us in some way.Maybe it is all just in our heads and hearts,maybe it's more.
    Take the religion part out of it as that is just mans fantasies about the same issues.But I know its comforting at least in my mind that there is some greater force or energy or whatever you want to describe it as that connects us .And not just in a physical way but in a way that transcends time and space.The universe always gives us signs.Why does putting out true pure positive energy and karma seem to bring it right back like a boomerang.Negative does the same.Why?
    I will continue to believe in something greater then us.What it is I don't know,but it's there,all around us.

Ah humid in FL and surely lots of mushrooms. >:)
  • Options
    callen said:

Right agree with everything you say point was simply that I feel that saying flat out "there is no god" comes off to some as condescending when it shouldn't.

Religions have gotten a pass from scrutiny and think it's hurt society. I mean the Mormons. Really. REALLY?????

Find posts like Gerns refreshing.

I have no problem with peaceful religions - or, peaceful practicers of religions. And I think they've been decimated and criticized fairly regularly.

Like I said, bring on being flat-out. Totally support it.

Last I'll say on this as I don't want to derail the topic more than it already has been...but tone matters. How we convey our thoughts matters. I know this medium isn't the most conducive for that aspect of communication, but it generally comes across.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

I can't remember who said it, but there was a quote I always liked that suggested that a little bit of knowledge makes a person an atheist, but a lot of it makes him return to god.

I'm only armed with a superficial (at best) understanding of quantum mechanics, m-theory, and the notion of multiverses, but it seems to me that the way our universe came into being very well could have been a random accident, or very well could be intentional design. I choose to subscribe to the latter, and think of 'god' as the summation of everything that is. This way, like you said, when I act with good intent, I can be confident that god (or karma, or nature, or the universe) is a stronger entity and I will reap those benefits in due time, and the converse for bad intent.

Particularly poignant to me was the notion you mentioned about 'what happens next'... at the same monastery/meditation center I mentioned before, I met a man, and wrote this blog post after I left:

"This is only a short post, but to me I was moved by a man's commitment to meditation, and the solace it helped him find, and thus felt as though it was worth sharing.

Today Sean from England, a nearly sixty year old man, arrived at the temple. After speaking to him for a while, I asked him about whether he's done meditation before. He replied that he had done some. I then asked him if it had helped him in life, and I was surprised to hear his response, for one from his openness and for another, his dry eyes.

Sean opened the door to his room and showed me a teddy bear. He said it belonged to his son, who died six months ago at the age of twelve, and that he keeps it with him everywhere he goes. I felt tears well up as I told him I was sorry. Sean responded that I shouldn't be, as he laughed a bit and said it wasn't my fault. He then explained that meditation and Buddhism have helped him come to terms with the fact that death is merely part of the journey. In Buddhism, one's karma carries on in perpetuity, through life, death, and rebirth. Sean said he believes that children are reborn amongst children, so he imagines his son in an equally happy but different form, living a new life free of anguish from loss, and surrounded by happy faces. He told me he visits him every time he meditates. I hope he's right, and I hope one day Sean and his son can both obtain nirvana and find one another again. What I can say for certain is that the power of meditation is perfectly exemplified in this story, where unimaginable heart break has been made into something manageable, when without it, in Sean's words, he would be on a different life now as well. "

Having met Sean, I would be hard-pressed to write off the notion of "done is done" when a life ends.

EV
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Beautiful perspective, benjs - one that made me smile. Thank you for posting this.
  • Options
    nicely done, benjs. cool story. i looked up the site you posted for the monastery & meditation center. neat place for sure. that is one skinny buddha. great stuff & love the gardens.
    thanks, man

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited October 2014
    Ben,thanks for the always well worded retort and for sharing your story.(Should I be thinking Jim Carrey in "Ace Ventura" Pet Detective)lol.

Callen,We always have plenty of both.Nothing like coming home to South Florida after a trip,getting out of the airport and being smacked in the face with a warm wet washcloth.I love it hot and humid.Thats just living in the tropics.its been along time since I skipped school and went collecting in the Cow pasture.Our very underrated Herbal condiments seem to ignite the imagination just fine without the hassle of cow shit.:)

Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick, I had just about finished a post in response to yours earlier (4:32) when I saw that you had removed it. Too bad - I was looking forward to the discussion on that one.
  • Options
    Dammit - I saw the post too but anticipated viewing the link once I got home.

• Options
    benjs said:

rr165892 said:

I can't remember who said it, but there was a quote I always liked that suggested that a little bit of knowledge makes a person an atheist, but a lot of it makes him return to god.

I'm only armed with a superficial (at best) understanding of quantum mechanics, m-theory, and the notion of multiverses, but it seems to me that the way our universe came into being very well could have been a random accident, or very well could be intentional design. I choose to subscribe to the latter, and think of 'god' as the summation of everything that is. This way, like you said, when I act with good intent, I can be confident that god (or karma, or nature, or the universe) is a stronger entity and I will reap those benefits in due time, and the converse for bad intent.

Particularly poignant to me was the notion you mentioned about 'what happens next'... at the same monastery/meditation center I mentioned before, I met a man, and wrote this blog post after I left:

"This is only a short post, but to me I was moved by a man's commitment to meditation, and the solace it helped him find, and thus felt as though it was worth sharing.

Today Sean from England, a nearly sixty year old man, arrived at the temple. After speaking to him for a while, I asked him about whether he's done meditation before. He replied that he had done some. I then asked him if it had helped him in life, and I was surprised to hear his response, for one from his openness and for another, his dry eyes.

Sean opened the door to his room and showed me a teddy bear. He said it belonged to his son, who died six months ago at the age of twelve, and that he keeps it with him everywhere he goes. I felt tears well up as I told him I was sorry. Sean responded that I shouldn't be, as he laughed a bit and said it wasn't my fault. He then explained that meditation and Buddhism have helped him come to terms with the fact that death is merely part of the journey. In Buddhism, one's karma carries on in perpetuity, through life, death, and rebirth. Sean said he believes that children are reborn amongst children, so he imagines his son in an equally happy but different form, living a new life free of anguish from loss, and surrounded by happy faces. He told me he visits him every time he meditates. I hope he's right, and I hope one day Sean and his son can both obtain nirvana and find one another again. What I can say for certain is that the power of meditation is perfectly exemplified in this story, where unimaginable heart break has been made into something manageable, when without it, in Sean's words, he would be on a different life now as well. "

Having met Sean, I would be hard-pressed to write off the notion of "done is done" when a life ends.
    Lovely story. And I completely agree with how he feels about death not being an end, but part of a whole.
  • Options
    oftenreading,

i do that sometimes, post something & a bit later delete the thing. anyhow, i've asked & i get no replies. & now we are expected to post elsewhere & not so much here in this thread as it isn't as important. why i'll be dipped in hot oil & rolled in shaved rodents awhile real quick

i'll now post exclusively here for the next 6 months

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick, you need to give us a little time to answer! There was work to be done, dinner to be cooked, that sort of stuff.

You're on your own with the shaved rodents thing, though.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    again i'll ask... so any of you geniuses want to explain how psychics work with detectives & help solve abductions & murders? step up, let's hear from you folks who do not believe in this stuff

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce