Options

NEW PEARL JAM ALBUM “LIGHTNING BOLT” AVAILABLE OCTOBER 15

Comments

• Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702
    Do we still have to wait until the 15th in the US before we Aussies who pre-ordered can access the download of the album in our accounts? It's not available there today but the albums available for purchase in stores, I figured the download would be made available to us today as well.

I was just thinking the same thing Roger. I wouldnt mind getting my download today ..'god knows when the actual CD will arrive in my letterbox. But I'm guessing we have to wait until the 15th.

Oh and apparently people have been going to JB Hifi and Sanity this morning to be told it's not in yet.
  • Options
    Stinkfoot wrote:
    I will be waiting for the 10c delivery no doubt, but as tough as that is, it will be over soon enough and then I'll have that lovely alternate 10c packaging to savour.

And I'm not even being sarcastic, I love that shit!

The hard cover BS and ST albums are classy.

Oh yeah, the 10c version. My 10c hardcover Backspacer CD is very nice.
  • Options
    E.K wrote:
    Do we still have to wait until the 15th in the US before we Aussies who pre-ordered can access the download of the album in our accounts? It's not available there today but the albums available for purchase in stores, I figured the download would be made available to us today as well.

I was just thinking the same thing Roger. I wouldnt mind getting my download today ..'god knows when the actual CD will arrive in my letterbox. But I'm guessing we have to wait until the 15th.

Oh and apparently people have been going to JB Hifi and Sanity this morning to be told it's not in yet.

Yep, had a few Facebook friends put up statuses about being turned away from JB, even being told outright "why don't you just go and download it" by JB staff. Why not indeed.
    Terrible bonus digital content for fan club members? That's a paddlin'
  • Options
    E.K wrote:

Yep, had a few Facebook friends put up statuses about being turned away from JB, even being told outright "why don't you just go and download it" by JB staff. Why not indeed.

One of my FB friends who works in the Sydney CBD said it's in JBHifi there. So maybe it's just available in the city stores?
  • Options
    Just popped in to check the same as Roger. Friends posting photos of the album in their warm little hands. Bit annoying that the download isn't available for us Aussies yet. But at least we had the itunes stream I guess...
  • Options
    Its avail in jb hifi brisbane stores, well atleast two stores anyway
  • Options
    RenaeRenae Perth, WA Posts: 38
    Wicksta wrote:
    Awesome news that we're getting LB in Aus four days before everyone else, but does anyone know why??

It wouldn't surprise me if early releases happen elsewhere, we are just not hearing about about it. As to why? I don't think we are special. As a previous retail manager there were only a few reasons why authorisations came down to sell items early - 1) other stores had them released so the competition is now on 2) you receive the stock well in advance of the date so you have time to get it prepped (tagged or whatever) then you just want to get the things out the door as they're taking up space, people keep asking for them, asking for holds, calling and you just have too much else to do! Sell Sell Sell! :lol:
  • Options
    mj351mj351 Posts: 218
    Has anyone received a copy in their letterbox?

Melbourne - 16/3/95, 5/3/98, 18/2/03, 20/2/03, 13/11/06, 16/11/06, 20/11/09, EV 24/3/11 EV 25/3/11, 24/1/14, ....
  • Options
    belinda27belinda27 Posts: 731
    Bought a few copies today at JB $22 in the Big W catalogue (page 10) its $19, Plus I got it on ITunes, I thought the reason we got them today as new records are released in OZ on Fri and Sat whereas USA Tuesdays???
    :D:D:D
  • Options
    mj351 wrote:

Nope .. and I not expecting mine any time soon either. :?
  • Options
    mj351mj351 Posts: 218
    E.K wrote:
    mj351 wrote:

Wow, the 10C version must be super special then.. ;)

Melbourne - 16/3/95, 5/3/98, 18/2/03, 20/2/03, 13/11/06, 16/11/06, 20/11/09, EV 24/3/11 EV 25/3/11, 24/1/14, ....
  • Options
    stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    belinda27 wrote:
    I thought the reason we got them today as new records are released in OZ on Fri and Sat whereas USA Tuesdays???
    :D:D:D

You would be correct in that assumption. New albums are released here on a Friday or Saturday, and on Tuesdays in the US. So we ALWAYS get new albums released earlier here.

JB HiFi here in Perth had plenty of copies when I went in at lunchtime to buy mine, Sanity did not (a friend who pre-ordered hers through them was told hard copy not available today).
  • Options
    foursymbolsfoursymbols Dublin Posts: 527
    E.K wrote:
    mj351 wrote:

I depressingly agree with this, the pitchforks will be out next week!! :(
    'It's a sad and beautiful world' - Mark Linkous
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    So I am sure this question has already been answered but I am sick and feeling lazy, does anyone know if the format for the 10 club version of the CD is going to be different than the regular store version? I remember how with Avacado it was like that cool cardboard book thing. I am wondering if it is going to be the same. Since I am looking at ordering and the difference is about 6 bucks compared to ordering from amazon. And with shipping times to Canada ordering from 10 club means waiting a few weeks rather than a few days. I really don't listen to much downloaded stuff so the Itunes version isn't a big selling point for me.
  • Options
    I'm amazed. My husband has just returned from Germany and he has brought the CD to me. Today it's my birthday, so I couldn't have a better present! He says it was on sale on the stores. No problem in finding it today there, in Frankfurt. I'm still overwhelmed. I'm writing from Spain, by the way.
  • Options
    Got it today here in Dallas by mail.
  • Options
    mj351 wrote:
    E.K wrote:
    mj351 wrote:

Wow, the 10C version must be super special then.. ;)

Oh yeah ... autographed by Kat and Sea maybe? ;):)
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Bought my copy at JB Hi Fi during my lunch break yesterday.
    Listened to the entire album in the car by the time I got home, was stuck in bad traffic, the album made it bearable.
    So far I like it, give me a few listens and I can give a proper verdict.
    Pendulum is playing now, half way through my second listening.
    Mind your manners and Sirens are amazing.
    Eddie's voice sounds great, much better than it did on Backspacer, it's like he's gone back to his 90's era voice.
    And Mike has come up with some great solo's, face melting.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    My first listen to it left me feeling a little "hmm....not sure, not overly impressed" but after a few listens, it's definitely growing on me.

A couple of songs I could ABSOLUTELY do without, but I love Pendulum, Sirens is good, and I think Sleeping By Myself is fantastic and so much better on this album than on Ukelele Songs.

Listening to it on repeat, it's definitely better than Backspacer - a bit more adventurous maybe?
  • Options
    nothinasitseemsnothinasitseems New Jersey Posts: 1,507
    Couldn't wait any longer for the CD to get here so I finally gave in and listened to the iTunes stream and all I can really say is, wow.

Album is great. Loved MYM since it came out, Sirens is just so so so beautiful, and I'm really loving Infallible, Pendulum, Let The Records Play, and Yellow Moon. And everything else is just as great.

Can't wait till Brooklyn to hear some of these live. :)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • Options
    rangers72rangers72 lockerbie.uk Posts: 144
    was hoping to get it today as it was our wedding anniversary!gutted the postie didn't deliver,nevermind if its not hear on Monday sod it im going to buy it again at the record store.canny wait any longer!
  • Options
    I got the cd yesterday. it is a gem, start to finish. Amazing stuff. Can't stop playing it. Thanks PJ :-)
    Dublin 00, Dublin 06, Madrid 07, Nijmegen 07, Rotterdam 09, Berlin 09, Manchester 09, London 09, Dublin 10, Belfast 10, East Troy PJ20 11 (1 & 2), Amsterdam 12 (1 & 2), L.A. 13 (1 & 2), Amsterdam 14 (1 & 2), Milan 14, Vienna 14, Berlin 14, Stockholm 14, Oslo 14, Boston 16 (1 & 2), London 18 (1 & 2).
  • Options
    IT'S officially OUT in GERMANY and it's in my hand since 10th of Ocotber :D , so yup, I need an outlet again...

The art work is wonderful - compliments to Jeff
    and as always, I celebrate a new album and take my time to dig into it. So I started with reading the lyrics first... without the music... only the lyrics and I truly like the themes: about religion and its damaging impact, about being faithfull, about nature and earth, about a kind off hopeless situation regarding the status of the world, about personal philosophies...
    really really great lines..

and then, I started with my chosen 1st song (the lyrics got me most) and immediately it rocked over me:
    Lightening Bolt - musically genius I would say! WOW! Then the 2nd one Infallible, surprisingly new and good, then Pendulum, another WOW.

Ohhh dear Pearl Jam: thanks always for this magic music, this high advanced instrumental perfection and the impressive music all along! You all are real artists!!!
    But, maybe because it was the 1st one, thank you especially for this great "Indian" Rock song, Lightning Bolt!
    I know already, that this will be from now on "my Dancing around Fire and calling out" song and I can't wait to rock out to it live one fine day, when back in Europe - hopefully soon!!!

But for now, for tonight, the rest of the Album will get inhaled, but this one goes out to announce, that the start was already stunning, impressing and pure RocknRoll! ;)

so great great Job, dear Pearl Jam, and again: thank you soooo much for all - I go with "Let the records play: all I need is your Music and my Boots(leg) here and around the bend...
    and p.s. SMILE and I am really happy you all are back in full dimension :P
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    Great album! Big step up from Backspacer. One thing I've always loved about Pearl Jam is their ability to write different kinds of songs, but Lightning Bolt seems to have more variety than ever before, and yet they all go together well. There is a renewed passion throughout the album... sure, I think it can be argued that PJ's songwriting peaked in the Vitalogy thru Binaural phase, but the new material is very strong and I can't wait to hear it all live... next week!!

It's funny that Backspacer is generally upbeat and ends with a devastatingly sad song whereas Lightning Bolt generally has a dark mood and ends with a very optimistic song.
  • Options
    KodiakKodiak Posts: 16
    Anyone else having issues with the CD? I got mine and tried playing it in my car stereo. It skips on Yellow Moon at the 2:03 mark. No matter what I am doing...it skips there. It's not like I hit a bump and it skipped. The album seems to play just fine in my PC but not in my car. Never had an issue with any other CD in my car. Just wanted to see if anyone else is having a similar issue.
  • Options
    My CD arrived today! Thanks, Santos!
  • Options
    CD est arrive, en Detroit.

:)
  • Options
    I really love the album cover, it's like a hardback book with a nice little pocket at the back for the CD.
    A nice sold feel to it.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Kodiak wrote:
    Anyone else having issues with the CD? I got mine and tried playing it in my car stereo. It skips on Yellow Moon at the 2:03 mark. No matter what I am doing...it skips there. It's not like I hit a bump and it skipped. The album seems to play just fine in my PC but not in my car. Never had an issue with any other CD in my car. Just wanted to see if anyone else is having a similar issue.

No problem here.
  • Options
    Just realised my album cover is black?
    All the online images are white?
    Is the US version white and Int'l black?