Options

Edit: Mayor Rob Ford admits to smoking crack

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

polaris_x said:

Rest in peace, Rob, he fought his cancer bravely, but I feel we also need to acknowledge that, by all reports he did overcome his addiction issues, which is an accomplishment in itself. Granted, it took time for him to own up to them and face his addictions (which is typical of most addicts), but since he checked himself into rehab, there've been zero stories about any sort of relapse.

I always supported his policies, but admit that his "antics" became less and less defensible over time. I was proud of him, though, that when he finally faced his demons he overcame them, only to be given the sucker punch of the cancer diagnosis.

Again, all sympathy to his family and friends, as well as Ford Nation.

i don't think there is anything to prove he overcame any addictions ... this is a guy who entered a very public weight loss challenge with his brother and was busted for going to kfc in the middle of the night ... his demons were very strong ...

this is not meant to kick him down only that he doesn't really deserve anymore praise for stuff he didn't really do ...
    I'm curious as to your sources, beyond his pre-rehab behaviour.

I'm sorry, but living in Toronto, I can't help but believe that if he'd returned to his drug-using ways there would have been reports or (more likely) some more hidden camera video surface of that behaviour.

I'm not sure that those who don't live in this city realize the local media treatment of our former mayor, but for me it was at times disgusting (especially the "warrior princess episode). Given that history, I have to believe that, as I said, if he fallen off the wagon we would've been sure to know.

As someone trying to quit cigarettes, I know well how strong addictions can be, but also know they can be beaten.

I also think part of my problem here is people commenting in this thread, calling someone a fuckhead on the very day that person died, without a hint of compassion for the man.
    This is the very deep hatred that liberals always carry and show whenever they want. They refuse to believe that their inner core is vile hate against someone who does not act like them. Knock a liberal when their dead and watch out! Racist!
    classic
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    edited March 2016
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

Rest in peace, Rob, he fought his cancer bravely, but I feel we also need to acknowledge that, by all reports he did overcome his addiction issues, which is an accomplishment in itself. Granted, it took time for him to own up to them and face his addictions (which is typical of most addicts), but since he checked himself into rehab, there've been zero stories about any sort of relapse.

I always supported his policies, but admit that his "antics" became less and less defensible over time. I was proud of him, though, that when he finally faced his demons he overcame them, only to be given the sucker punch of the cancer diagnosis.

i don't think there is anything to prove he overcame any addictions ... this is a guy who entered a very public weight loss challenge with his brother and was busted for going to kfc in the middle of the night ... his demons were very strong ...

this is not meant to kick him down only that he doesn't really deserve anymore praise for stuff he didn't really do ...

I'm sorry, but living in Toronto, I can't help but believe that if he'd returned to his drug-using ways there would have been reports or (more likely) some more hidden camera video surface of that behaviour.

I'm not sure that those who don't live in this city realize the local media treatment of our former mayor, but for me it was at times disgusting (especially the "warrior princess episode). Given that history, I have to believe that, as I said, if he fallen off the wagon we would've been sure to know.

As someone trying to quit cigarettes, I know well how strong addictions can be, but also know they can be beaten.

I also think part of my problem here is people commenting in this thread, calling someone a fuckhead on the very day that person died, without a hint of compassion for the man.
    This is the very deep hatred that liberals always carry and show whenever they want. They refuse to believe that their inner core is vile hate against someone who does not act like them. Knock a liberal when their dead and watch out! Racist!
    classic
    So the day Eddie Vedder dies, it will be acceptable to come on here and call him an alcoholic because of the seeming fact he can't get through a show without a bottle of wine? Because that's the standard that's being set here (or maybe just followed, I'm still somewhat new to these boards).

Edit: Stepping back in for the moment (see below) to acknowledge this isn't the best comparison, given the nature of this specific board, but I hope the general point is understood without too many feathers being ruffled. Also, sorry for the late edit (comes hours after the post).
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

classic
    So the day Eddie Vedder dies, it will be acceptable to come on here and call him an alcoholic because of the seeming fact he can't get through a show without a bottle of wine? Because that's the standard that's being set here (or maybe just followed, I'm still somewhat new to these boards).
    IBTL
  • Options
    Sorry, IBTL? I don't go much past lol, lol.

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited March 2016

Sorry, IBTL? I don't go much past lol, lol.

People should type SALTS instead of LOL
    Smiled A Lot Then Stopped, its more truthful.
  • Options
    Please believe me, it saddens me that I've felt I needed to chime in here and try to make the points that I've attempted.

As I've tried to say, give some time to respect the dead and celebrate what they accomplished in life, saving further criticisms for a later date.

That said, I'm going to step away from this thread for the time being, and if I've offended anyone, please accept my sincere apologies, but please also try to hear what I've been saying with an open mind.

• Options

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

classic
    dude ... one person ... ONE ... talked about the things he did ... and you guys are going on about some mass shitting on him ... simply not the case ...
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

He was my mayor. I voted for him twice. He will be missed.

Edit - Voted for him once! Voted for Doug the second time! My bad.

Yuck. I can't believe you voted for either one of those creeps. Geez.
    While I don't support their "antics" I certainly supported their policies...protectors of the taxpayers! Like I always said...other politicians wanted to hurt me...Rob Ford only wanted to hurt himself.
    I think corrupt politicians hurt a lot more than themselves. I never understood how some people could not mind having corrupt, lying assholes as their leaders. Throw doing crack and hanging with gangbangers in there, and it blows my mind that anyone could support that fuckhead. How does one explain to their kids that the mayor does crack and lies through his teeth and is mixed up in shady business, but that he's still a good man to vote for??
    I was able to explain this to my three kids pretty easily.
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

He was my mayor. I voted for him twice. He will be missed.

Edit - Voted for him once! Voted for Doug the second time! My bad.

Yuck. I can't believe you voted for either one of those creeps. Geez.
    While I don't support their "antics" I certainly supported their policies...protectors of the taxpayers! Like I always said...other politicians wanted to hurt me...Rob Ford only wanted to hurt himself.
    I think corrupt politicians hurt a lot more than themselves. I never understood how some people could not mind having corrupt, lying assholes as their leaders. Throw doing crack and hanging with gangbangers in there, and it blows my mind that anyone could support that fuckhead. How does one explain to their kids that the mayor does crack and lies through his teeth and is mixed up in shady business, but that he's still a good man to vote for??
    I was able to explain this to my three kids pretty easily.
    Hahaha I am picturing that conversation...
    "Kids, it doesn't really matter if a candidate is honest, or has integrity or honor, it doesn't matter if he/she is addicted to hard drugs, and it doesn't matter if he/she is known to spend time with violent criminals, all that matters is that Daddy's taxes go down!"
    It was more like "Rob Ford is addicted to crack but his political opponents are addicted to spending...only one of those addictions in the long run will actually hurt you."
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,536
    Oh, so you didn't tell them the truth. Kay cool.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    PJ_Soul said:

What else is missing?
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

What else is missing?
    That he was a corrupt politician with criminals for friends and that he was a liar.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

What else is missing?
    That he was a corrupt politician with criminals for friends and that he was a liar.
    rob ford was a lot of things but corrupt isn't necessarily one of them ..
  • Options
    Just stepping back in for a few seconds to point out an edit/acknowledgment added to my previous post about Vedder, so that it might not be missed.

• Options
    polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

What else is missing?
    rob ford was a lot of things but corrupt isn't necessarily one of them ..
    I disagree. There were plenty of complaints against him for civil corruption. And wtf was the deal with that laundromat??
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    Who cares that he smoked crack? Obama used to snort coke, Bush too....I imagine most career politicians have vices.... I think it is a requirement to be a republican in DC to murder a hooker.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    RIP Rob Ford. He certainly was quite the character, good and bad. Watching the media coverage on him, one thing stood out above all else in the comments from some of his constituents...he apparently always returned emails, text messages and phone calls promptly, and at the end of the day maybe thats why people supported him, because after all that is really what i believe most people want is their voice heard not ignored.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    ^^ Lol!
    And I've done coke too. So?
    When you are talking about a politician who is in office and has a crack problem, I'd say that only an idiot wouldn't care about that.
    But at any rate, the drug use isn't the only thing I've been talking about and isn't even my main focus. But nevertheless... a crack addict. In office. Come on. Raise your standards just a bit. We should expect more of the people who are running the show.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited March 2016
    Wow, after reading many of the comments I do see he had many questionable things going on. But that age is still too young to die--very stress-related.
    All the best to Ford's family. RIP
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

^^ Lol!
    When you are talking about a politician who is in office and has a crack problem, I'd say that only an idiot wouldn't care about that.
    But at any rate, the drug use isn't the only thing I've been talking about and isn't even my main focus. But nevertheless... a crack addict. In office. Come on. Raise your standards just a bit. We should expect more of the people who are running the show.

Then you'll be disappointed more often than not when it comes to politicians. How many politicians are slamming back booze on a nightly basis. Amazing how our society decides what substance is worse than others. And when it comes to electing politicians our society has no standards...here in Canada federally and provincially we elect either the liberals or conservative more times than not...yeah they've done such terrific job.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    edited March 2016
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

^^ Lol!

Then you'll be disappointed more often than not when it comes to politicians. How many politicians are slamming back booze on a nightly basis. Amazing how our society decides what substance is worse than others. And when it comes to electing politicians our society has no standards...here in Canada federally and provincially we elect either the liberals or conservative more times than not...yeah they've done such terrific job.
    Yes indeed I am disappointed more often than not when it comes to politicians. That is an understatement. I feel like a politician who is actually simply a decent human being an absolute phenomenon. And that means what? That because politicians are generally scum, I should be cool with politicians being corrupt, lying crack addict scum? Or, if it makes you feel better to mention it foe the sake of equality, i should be cool with corrupt, lying, alcoholic scum, as the case may be?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options

Please believe me, it saddens me that I've felt I needed to chime in here and try to make the points that I've attempted.

As I've tried to say, give some time to respect the dead and celebrate what they accomplished in life, saving further criticisms for a later date.

That said, I'm going to step away from this thread for the time being, and if I've offended anyone, please accept my sincere apologies, but please also try to hear what I've been saying with an open mind.

You have offended nobody.

If you have... that is their issue. You have been fine.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

classic
    His death has upstaged the recent Liberal Budget release.
    He would be proud.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

^^ Lol!

Yes indeed I am disappointed more often than not when it comes to politicians. That is an understatement. I feel like a politician who is actually simply a decent human being an absolute phenomenon. And that means what? That because politicians are generally scum, I should be cool with politicians being corrupt, lying crack addict scum? Or, if it makes you feel better to mention it foe the sake of equality, i should be cool with corrupt, lying, alcoholic scum, as the case may be?
    I'm not saying we have to settle, but would it have hurt to elect the NDP federally in the last general election.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,011
    I'm not sure whom this Ford person is but here in the US we had a mayor Barry get CAUGHT on film for smoking crack and the people STILL re elected him...
  • Options

I'm not sure whom this Ford person is but here in the US we had a mayor Barry get CAUGHT on film for smoking crack and the people STILL re elected him...

Don't worry about it.
    He was an elected mayor who the libs loved to hate, even in death.
  • Options

It takes a special breed of people to elect a guy that smokes crack to be their mayor.

Really really special.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

It takes a special breed of people to elect a guy that smokes crack to be their mayor.

Really really special.
    Not unlike people who vote in a majority on the promise of free weed.
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

^^ Lol!

I'm not saying we have to settle, but would it have hurt to elect the NDP federally in the last general election.
    Oh, haha, I did not realize that that was what you were getting at.
    Yes, well, I have always been an NDPer, but I did vote liberal in the last election. I felt like shit was getting crazy with Harper, and it was a strategic vote for me, and many others. And I actually think it was and is the best thing for Canada right now. Mulcair simply didn't have what Canada needed at this time. The country needed a PM like Trudeau at this particular point IMO. Badly. I feel like the national psyche was hitting a weird low. If the wonderful Jack Layton had lived, he is who we would have needed... or actually, he likely would have won in the previous election and we wouldn't have had to be worrying about it anyhow. I wish.
    All in all, I think Trudeau is doing a good job. There are obviously concerns that people have about the budget, fairly so, but one must admit that, even if they don't like the spending plan, the Libs are at least being reasonably as open and straightforward as they can about it. Meanwhile, some movement and much more focused discussion is happening on a more social level (refugees, gender equality, Aboriginal issues, Canada/US relations, euthanasia, legalization of marijuana, government transparency, climate change, etc etc, as well as that optimistic vibe that everyone is paying attention to), which, after a decade of Harper, is like a breath of fresh air.
  • Options

Really really special.
    Yeah, it's pretty fucked up.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

He was kinda like the Trump of the north....with serious addiction issues. And Rob Ford was also caught smoking crack on film...twice.