Options

Edit: Mayor Rob Ford admits to smoking crack

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    I hope I didn't offend PJSoul. My mind is a Price Is Right wheel of pop culture.

Remember to spay and neuter your pets.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    Lol! I actually tried to post the video, but stupid Vevo has it set for no sharing. Fuck Vevo!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Rob Ford is doing well after surgery. Please, Toronto, re-elect him. Your town is once again boring.

• Options
    I'd much rather see the Hamburgler as mayor than I would Rob Ford.... or where is Mayor McCheese when you need him??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I forgot this guy existed.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Jason P said:

Rob Ford is doing well after surgery. Please, Toronto, re-elect him. Your town is once again boring.

It's true. Our new Mayor is a squish. Bring back the crack!
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    rob ford in palliative care right now ...
  • Options
    check that ... hes passed away ...

as much as he was in way over his head as mayor ... hard not to feel a bit for him ...
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    polaris_x said:

as much as he was in way over his head as mayor ... hard not to feel a bit for him ...

Yup, lived kind of a tragic life.
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

I don't find it hard at all, to be perfectly honest.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    He was my mayor. I voted for him twice. He will be missed.

Edit - Voted for him once! Voted for Doug the second time! My bad.
    Post edited by BS44325 on
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

Yuck. I can't believe you voted for either one of those creeps. Geez.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

While I don't support their "antics" I certainly supported their policies...protectors of the taxpayers! Like I always said...other politicians wanted to hurt me...Rob Ford only wanted to hurt himself.
  • Options
    pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/former-toronto-mayor-rob-ford-dies-after-fighting-cancer/ar-BBqMBfD?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=mailsignout

OMG...it was never in the news that he had cancer. I remember him being the butt of late night jokes and going on those talk shows and being such a good sport about everything--like a big cuddly Chris Farley :( So sorry for his family and country's loss.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

While I don't support their "antics" I certainly supported their policies...protectors of the taxpayers! Like I always said...other politicians wanted to hurt me...Rob Ford only wanted to hurt himself.
    except like most conservatives - they didn't ... but that's neither here nor there i suppose
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

I think corrupt politicians hurt a lot more than themselves. I never understood how some people could not mind having corrupt, lying assholes as their leaders. Throw doing crack and hanging with gangbangers in there, and it blows my mind that anyone could support that fuckhead. How does one explain to their kids that the mayor does crack and lies through his teeth and is mixed up in shady business, but that he's still a good man to vote for??
  • Options
    pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited March 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

I think corrupt politicians hurt a lot more than themselves. I never understood how some people could not mind having corrupt, lying assholes as their leaders. Throw doing crack and hanging with gangbangers in there, and it blows my mind that anyone could support that fuckhead. How does one explain to their kids that the mayor does crack and lies through his teeth and is mixed up in shady business, but that he's still a good man to vote for??
    I really don't know much about what he got in trouble for. But, from what I understand, it did sound like he owned up to some of it? All I know is that between his weight, hopefully no more drug issues?.., and the stress of the the whole media circus--that man probably died a lot sooner than he should have. The media and the public don't realize the power they have over destroying people's lives and careers.

Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,492
    Rest in peace, Rob, he fought his cancer bravely, but I feel we also need to acknowledge that, by all reports he did overcome his addiction issues, which is an accomplishment in itself. Granted, it took time for him to own up to them and face his addictions (which is typical of most addicts), but since he checked himself into rehab, there've been zero stories about any sort of relapse.

I always supported his policies, but admit that his "antics" became less and less defensible over time. I was proud of him, though, that when he finally faced his demons he overcame them, only to be given the sucker punch of the cancer diagnosis.

Again, all sympathy to his family and friends, as well as Ford Nation.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

I was able to explain this to my three kids pretty easily.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

:giggle: Wow, good job.
  • Options

Rest in peace, Rob, he fought his cancer bravely, but I feel we also need to acknowledge that, by all reports he did overcome his addiction issues, which is an accomplishment in itself. Granted, it took time for him to own up to them and face his addictions (which is typical of most addicts), but since he checked himself into rehab, there've been zero stories about any sort of relapse.

I always supported his policies, but admit that his "antics" became less and less defensible over time. I was proud of him, though, that when he finally faced his demons he overcame them, only to be given the sucker punch of the cancer diagnosis.

i don't think there is anything to prove he overcame any addictions ... this is a guy who entered a very public weight loss challenge with his brother and was busted for going to kfc in the middle of the night ... his demons were very strong ...

this is not meant to kick him down only that he doesn't really deserve anymore praise for stuff he didn't really do ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

i don't think there is anything to prove he overcame any addictions ... this is a guy who entered a very public weight loss challenge with his brother and was busted for going to kfc in the middle of the night ... his demons were very strong ...

this is not meant to kick him down only that he doesn't really deserve anymore praise for stuff he didn't really do ...
    I'm curious as to your sources, beyond his pre-rehab behaviour.

I'm sorry, but living in Toronto, I can't help but believe that if he'd returned to his drug-using ways there would have been reports or (more likely) some more hidden camera video surface of that behaviour.

I'm not sure that those who don't live in this city realize the local media treatment of our former mayor, but for me it was at times disgusting (especially the "warrior princess episode). Given that history, I have to believe that, as I said, if he fallen off the wagon we would've been sure to know.

As someone trying to quit cigarettes, I know well how strong addictions can be, but also know they can be beaten.

I also think part of my problem here is people commenting in this thread, calling someone a fuckhead on the very day that person died, without a hint of compassion for the man.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

Hahaha I am picturing that conversation...
    "Kids, it doesn't really matter if a candidate is honest, or has integrity or honor, it doesn't matter if he/she is addicted to hard drugs, and it doesn't matter if he/she is known to spend time with violent criminals, all that matters is that Daddy's taxes go down!"
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited March 2016

polaris_x said:

I'm curious as to your sources, beyond his pre-rehab behaviour.

I'm sorry, but living in Toronto, I can't help but believe that if he'd returned to his drug-using ways there would have been reports or (more likely) some more hidden camera video surface of that behaviour.

I'm not sure that those who don't live in this city realize the local media treatment of our former mayor, but for me it was at times disgusting (especially the "warrior princess episode). Given that history, I have to believe that, as I said, if he fallen off the wagon we would've been sure to know.

As someone trying to quit cigarettes, I know well how strong addictions can be, but also know they can be beaten.

I also think part of my problem here is people commenting in this thread, calling someone a fuckhead on the very day that person died, without a hint of compassion for the man.
    This is the very deep hatred that liberals always carry and show whenever they want. They refuse to believe that their inner core is vile hate against someone who does not act like them. Knock a liberal when they're dead and watch out! Racist!
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited March 2016
    Is anybody knocking Ford for his policies? And it's not as if we are talking about Ghandi here.

I'm pretty sure they are knocking him for being a crack head and corrupt politician. The fact that you guys voted for him speaks a little bit to your value system.

And... was he ever definitively 'cleared' of the murder he was linked to? You know... the murder of the individual that was set to expose him for his crack smoking ways? If one was inclined to believe he might have had just a little bit to do with the murder of a man set to destroy him just prior to the man releasing the damaging footage... well... that kind of ups the ante a bit.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Is anybody knocking Ford for his policies? And it's not as if we are talking about Ghandi here.

I'm pretty sure they are knocking him for being a crack head and corrupt politician. The fact that you guys voted for him speaks a little bit to your value system.

And... was he ever definitively 'cleared' of the murder he was linked to? You know... the murder of the individual that was set to expose him for his crack smoking ways? If one was inclined to believe he might have had just a little bit to do with the murder of a man set to destroy him just prior to the man releasing the damaging footage... well... that kind of ups the ante a bit.

Again, proof, please. It's all too easy to make an allegation, and given that he was investigated by the police (to the point of borrowing a neighbouring force's helicopter to surveil the man), yet no charges were laid, I think the presumption of innocence should prevail.

I find a far more likely theory to be that the local dealers didn't like the attention the extortionists were bringing to bear, and cleaned up their problem in-house. But then again, I have just as much proof of that as has been given for your theory.

I think the operative words for what some are saying right now are "too soon." If you want to rehash all this in a couple (or better few) weeks, that would probably fly, but the man's not even in the ground yet, for God's sake! Please have some compassion for your fellow human being!

• Options

Again, proof, please. It's all too easy to make an allegation, and given that he was investigated by the police (to the point of borrowing a neighbouring force's helicopter to surveil the man), yet no charges were laid, I think the presumption of innocence should prevail.

I find a far more likely theory to be that the local dealers didn't like the attention the extortionists were bringing to bear, and cleaned up their problem in-house. But then again, I have just as much proof of that as has been given for your theory.

I think the operative words for what some are saying right now are "too soon." If you want to rehash all this in a couple (or better few) weeks, that would probably fly, but the man's not even in the ground yet, for God's sake! Please have some compassion for your fellow human being!
    So the theory is still at large. Okay... that's what I thought.

For the record, I'm not trying to crap all over the guy in his time of dying. I'm just kind of opposed to the idea being flitted about that the guy was praiseworthy without some form of rebuttal. Let's not sugar coat his performance as a politician or a human being... just as we shouldn't take the opportunity to dig our fangs in and shred him one more time.

I know this might come across as insensitive. I'll leave it at this and take my own advice.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    He was a person just trying to make it in this world.
  • Options

So the theory is still at large. Okay... that's what I thought.

For the record, I'm not trying to crap all over the guy in his time of dying. I'm just kind of opposed to the idea being flitted about that the guy was praiseworthy without some form of rebuttal. Let's not sugar coat his performance as a politician or a human being... just as we shouldn't take the opportunity to dig our fangs in and shred him one more time.

I know this might come across as insensitive. I'll leave it at this and take my own advice.
    I appreciate what you're saying, and was taking issue with what several had posted here the last couple days now. I didn't intend to single anyone out.

Also, I'm not trying to deify the man or anything of the sort. It's just been my experience that when someone (ANYONE) dies, we should celebrate their accomplishments in life, and give some time before returning to being critical of them. As an example, I find our current PM to be a goof, but if he died, I'd bite my tongue for awhile, if I couldn't find anything good to say.

To those acting as if Ford were smoking crack in his hospital bed (do I hyperbole much, lol?), you can rest assured that had Ford sought medical marijuana, it would have been reported. A couple hospital staff have faced discipline for leaking his hospital records to the media.

• Options
    if you're only "proof" is that you haven't read anything - it's purely speculation

they guy has a long history of substance abuse ... like many other people - that kind of behaviour was enabled by his family and friends ... i do feel empathy for him as a person ... but I'm also not going to make his someone we should admire in any way ... he's pretty much the anti-role model for kids in every way ...