Options

london 17/06/07...pre-show party!

Comments

• Options

that said...that pub mentioned, waxy somethin'...sounds good! :) and sure, i always forget the rest of the world isn't like NYC...it really IS the city that never sleeps, and bars are open until 4 here, they might close at 1am on sundays...but 10:30? :rolleyes: hahahaha. we'll work it out. :D
    See for me that 'city that never sleeps' thing is false advertisement :mad:

I was SO annoyed when I was there that it's practically impossible to find a drink after 4am :( cos the city's 'asleep' ;)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    Surely there will be somewhere open later that isn't a club.
    There MUST be :o although maybe considering it's the night before the gig, we should all be tucked up in bed by midnight... keep a clear head for the early morning queuing to follow :cool:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D hahahahahahahahahahahaha... yes of course I jest :D

C'mon Londoners... sort this out please :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    There MUST be :o although maybe considering it's the night before the gig, we should all be tucked up in bed by midnight... keep a clear head for the early morning queuing to follow :cool:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D hahahahahahahahahahahaha... yes of course I jest :D

C'mon Londoners... sort this out please :)
    Surely there's a dodgy backpackers hostel bar open somewhere in central London for everyone to go to.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    Hinny wrote:
    Surely there's a dodgy backpackers hostel bar open somewhere in central London for everyone to go to.
    :D you'd imagine :D

Anyway, if that special rate on the travellodge is still around tomorrow, I'll be booking 2 nights (Sunday & Monday) in a triple room. So that's £52 altogether for 3 people for 2 nights :D fuck all. I'll to give Jenny and Damien first pick to share (Jenny will save you the hassle of finding something) since I'm using their tickets and all :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838

You guys could always go to Church :D It's 12ish til about 3.30pm so you'll have been through the hangover before midnight :) and I'm sure you would all enjoy the entertainment :ohttp://www.thechurch.co.uk/the_service
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options

Anyway, if that special rate on the travellodge is still around tomorrow, I'll be booking 2 nights (Sunday & Monday) in a triple room. So that's £52 altogether for 3 people for 2 nights :D fuck all. I'll to give Jenny and Damien first pick to share (Jenny will save you the hassle of finding something) since I'm using their tickets and all :D

I booked for the travelodge this morning, cheapest place I could find and it doesn't look to bad either.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340

Thats cool - but I'll have my friend Skelly with me so I'll have to have words with her and see what she's doing before I agree anything! if Damo sez no then the three of us can bunk up together... giggidy!!

Chime - that place looks great - nothing like some early afternoon tipples!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

well book the Farringdon one again will ye... means we can all travel to gig/hang out/ get hammered together :) :cool:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    I booked for the travelodge this morning, cheapest place I could find and it doesn't look to bad either.
    I stayed there last year and it was grand... although not as central as Dunk would have you believe :D I think the nearest tube was about 15/20 mins walk UPHILL... and taxis were expensive to get anywhere. There were no pubs nearby either but theres an alright bar downstairs and if you sweet talk the guys on reception when you get back from the pub, they can be convinced to serve ya :D

Pippa, I heard lots about that place when I lived in London :D never been there though. Is it the backpackers place is across the road or something? And the two kinda go hand in hand?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Chime wrote:
    You guys could always go to Church :D It's 12ish til about 3.30pm so you'll have been through the hangover before midnight :) and I'm sure you would all enjoy the entertainment :ohttp://www.thechurch.co.uk/the_service

that place has strippers

i'm there :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    Thats cool - but I'll have my friend Skelly with me so I'll have to have words with her and see what she's doing before I agree anything! if Damo sez no then the three of us can bunk up together... giggidy!!

Chime - that place looks great - nothing like some early afternoon tipples!
    Cool :) well I'll be booking tomorrow anyway, I've texted Damien and waiting for him to get back to me - I think he has a brother or something in London who he stayed with for Astoria. Maybe I should just book two rooms... I'm sure there'll be no problem filling them anyway with the amount of Irish going :D . Have to find out what Barry's up to also... I presume he's bringing Steve?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    I heard lots about that place when I lived in London :D never been there though. Is it the backpackers place is across the road or something? And the two kinda go hand in hand?

It's more a place I heard a lot about ... but haven't been to either :D:o Think it kinda did go hand in hand with somewhere but seem to remember someone mentioning Backpackers had closed so not sure.

Think it has a Kiwi/Aussie/Saffa connection as well.
  • Options
    danleridanleri Posts: 497
    sorry lads, so where is everybody staying? Ibis or Travelodge? i'd like to book something myself but i still dunno...
    Verona '00 | Dublin '06 | Barcelona '06 | London '07 | Copenhagen '07 | Berlin '09 | Dublin '10 | Belfast '10 | Berlin '10 | Toronto1 '11 | Toronto2 '11 | Amsterdam1 '12 | Stockholm '12 | Oslo '12 | Copenhagen '12 | Brooklyn1 '13 | Brooklyn2 '13 | Amsterdam1 '14 | Amsterdam2 '14 | Vienna '14 | Berlin '14
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    well book the Farringdon one again will ye... means we can all travel to gig/hang out/ get hammered together :) :cool:
    Yip, I will do :) just don't have enough money on me today to use my credit card voucher thingy :o oh actually I DO :eek: I can book after lunch :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Just something folk may want to bear in mind when booking these Travelodges:

they have a tendency to overbook their rooms and it's not uncommon for folk to turn up and be told they don't have a room......it was on Watchdog.

Hopefully that won't happen to anyone here though :)
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Options
    I stayed there last year and it was grand... although not as central as Dunk would have you believe :D I think the nearest tube was about 15/20 mins walk UPHILL... and taxis were expensive to get anywhere. There were no pubs nearby either but theres an alright bar downstairs and if you sweet talk the guys on reception when you get back from the pub, they can be convinced to serve ya :D

Pippa, I heard lots about that place when I lived in London :D never been there though. Is it the backpackers place is across the road or something? And the two kinda go hand in hand?

we just didnt scout the area very well!!!

The Farringdon tube station is 500m DOWN the road.. i.e. the opposite of the way we walked :o and there are 4 or 5 pubs on that street alone!!! i was in 2 of them in August last year!!

the huge plus is that Farringdon tube station has a direct link to Wembley Park station (no changes :eek: ) and so therefore its 'awesome' :p
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    we just didnt scout the area very well!!!

The Farringdon tube station is 500m DOWN the road.. i.e. the opposite of the way we walked :o and there are 4 or 5 pubs on that street alone!!! i was in 2 of them in August last year!!

the huge plus is that Farringdon tube station has a direct link to Wembley Park station (no changes :eek: ) and so therefore its 'awesome' :p
    :eek: :D That's great to hear :D:D:D well scouted dunk :)

I finally get to use my voucher thing... let's see if this works :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Ok, just a quick question cos I'll be booking my flight today... I know there was a thread and I don't have time to find it... but which is best to fly into? For the Farringdon? Is it Stansted or Gatwick? I think they're both pretty much the same, no?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options

they have a tendency to overbook their rooms and it's not uncommon for folk to turn up and be told they don't have a room......it was on Watchdog.

i'd torch the fucking place if that happened :)
  • Options
    sisyphe wrote:
    I'd be glad to meet jammers from around the globe.

How about meeting at Waxy O'Connor?

http://www.waxyoconnors.co.uk/london/index.asp

It's very centrallylocated, BIG (numerous bars) and they've good craic (if I remember correctly...alcohol might have something to do with the fun) :D

Hey, i love that place!! I've been there a few times and every time they were playing at least a PJ song :)!!!!
    It's quite big....on different levels, with 3 bars and a big tree in the middle!!!
    The location is also perfect....is an off-street in between Piccadilly and Leicester Sq.!!!
    Crazy Mary
  • Options
    Ok, just a quick question cos I'll be booking my flight today... I know there was a thread and I don't have time to find it... but which is best to fly into? For the Farringdon? Is it Stansted or Gatwick? I think they're both pretty much the same, no?

not Gatwick its miles and miles away!!!

try for Heathrow can you?

if not then Stansted is prob best.. i'm pretty sure Gatwick is fuckin miles away.. (i used to holiday with my nana in Crawley every summer and so i know Gatwick is far out!!)
  • Options
    spina81 wrote:
    Hey, i love that place!! I've been there a few times and every time they were playing at least a PJ song :)!!!!
    It's quite big....on different levels, with 3 bars and a big tree in the middle!!!
    The location is also perfect....is an off-street in between Piccadilly and Leicester Sq.!!!

Been to the one in Manchester and it's quite nice, a bit pricey though.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

Helen I booked my Dublin flights and they were the cheapest flights I could find through http://www.flybmi.com and that's to Heathrow and your straight on a tube line or can get the Heathrow Express train. When you see the prices they may look more than Ryanair etc at first but they show their prices including taxes :cool:
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    dunkman wrote:
    not Gatwick its miles and miles away!!!

if not then Stansted is prob best.. i'm pretty sure Gatwick is fuckin miles away.. (i used to holiday with my nana in Crawley every summer and so i know Gatwick is far out!!)

Gatwick is waaaaaayyyy on the other side of where you want to be....

Depends where you are staying... Heathrow is cheapest to get into town (or my place!) as you can take the picadilly line. Stansted, you need to take the stansted express which costs £15 or so for a single fare (but you've used that one before.. gets you into liverpool street station). Takes about 45 minutes. Picadilly lines takes about that much time to central london but is cheaper.
  • Options

Ooo... I actually saw that! And I never watch Watchdog! They just keep booking rooms, never book out, and when the hotel is full they just send you on to the next nearest one! Hopefully that won't happen us... or else they're gonna have some very angry Irish and Scottish people to deal with!!! (I vote Dunky for the Braveheart speech :p)
    This is me:

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    sisyphe wrote:
    How about meeting at Waxy O'Connor?

http://www.waxyoconnors.co.uk/london/index.asp

It's very centrallylocated, BIG (numerous bars) and they've good craic (if I remember correctly...alcohol might have something to do with the fun) :D

That's not a bad idea. The place is huge so it will accomodate all of us. And it is indeed central, and the price of the beer isn't completely extortionate if memory serves.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    That's not a bad idea. The place is huge so it will accomodate all of us. And it is indeed central, and the price of the beer isn't completely extortionate if memory serves.

well in fairness everywhere has to be cheaper than Dublin... feckin' €5 for a bleedin' pint!

Remember - one more hungover person is one less person to get in your way in the queue the next day... especially with the dodgy tummy's - so drink loads!!! :D
    This is me:

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    can't believe people like Dunk, Helen or Jenny are booking hotels?
    You're telling me there's no one who offered you a spare bed/bit of floor to stay ?
    or you're too posh for that? ;)

I've got a full house already (11 people in a 1-bedroom flat! that's going to be fun :D).. might open a camping in the garden if my neighbours let me though ;)
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Pegasus wrote:
    You're telling me there's no one who offered you a spare bed/bit of floor to stay ?
    or you're too posh for that? ;)

Don't pity them Sandra... they've all been offered beds/floor space... they're too posh..... ;)
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:

waxyies it is then.. D2D can you add this to the first post!!! it did look massive on the website!!!