Options

Pearl Jam turned Better Man into a cream puff song

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,751
    I didn't read through all 12 pages of this. When I originally read this I thought of me singing Fuck the Police by NWA when I was a kid. Did I really mean to bash the only people that willingly protect me? Nope, but I sang the song because it was awesome. And I know every lyric and will sing it today. Here's a note from you're friend Ed. Try the 2:00 mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hafZxBH7S9g Don't make life difficult. Adele, Taylor Swift, Ja Rule all have songs that are about bad shit. Grow up. We Sing to get away. I love singing in my car, anything. I want to not worry. Jeremy is a song about student death, yet we all raise our arms in a V. and we will continue. Life moves on, enjoy it.
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    edited May 2013
    I didn't read through all 12 pages of this. When I originally read this I thought of me singing Fuck the Police by NWA when I was a kid. Did I really mean to bash the only people that willingly protect me? Nope, but I sang the song because it was awesome. And I know every lyric and will sing it today. Here's a note from you're friend Ed. Try the 2:00 mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hafZxBH7S9g Don't make life difficult. Adele, Taylor Swift, Ja Rule all have songs that are about bad shit. Grow up. We Sing to get away. I love singing in my car, anything. I want to not worry. Jeremy is a song about student death, yet we all raise our arms in a V. and we will continue. Life moves on, enjoy it.
    yeah obviously we covered this! I said throughout whole thread to sing! you are rehashing old shit, and taking it out of context, unless you are going to go over at least the last half of this thread, you realize the ridiculousness of your post, I mean seriously! even if you just read the last two pages, you would realize how pointless your post is, seriously? talk about a troll

:fp:
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • Options
    kevedderkevedder Posts: 80
    I just think that this is a such a personal song for Ed and despite the fact that it is played so often, his passion when he sings it never wavers-even if he let's the crowd take over. I think the crowd connects with it because of our connection and our passion for ed and the rest of the boys and the fact its a catchy tune helps. Yeaah the theme is dark but Eds want for this woman, to find a better man...that is what makes it powerful and anthemic...and if you have been unfortunate enough to have witnessed domestic violence, I am sure you would feel as passionately as ed does about encouraging her to fight and not keep putting up with the shit. In this way i think it is as much a song of hope...Those are my thoughts anyhow...
    BIG DAY OUT SYDNEY FAIRGROUNDS, SYDNEY, AU, Sun 26 January, 2014 BIG DAY OUT FLEMINGTON RACECOURSE, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 24 January, 2014 Eddie Vedder Solo, Civic Theatre, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Wednesday 16th March Eddie Vedder Solo, STATE THEATRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Friday 18th March & Saturday 19th March ETIHAD STADIUM, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 20 November, 2009 NEWCASTLE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Sun 19 November, 2006 ACER ARENA, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tues 7, Wed 8 & Sat 18 November, 2006 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tue 11, Thu 13 & Fri 14 February, 2003 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Mon 9, Wed 11 & Thu 12 March, 1998
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I dunno, I just watched PJ 20 and that MSG sing a long is fucking great!
  • Options
    kevedder wrote:
    I just think that this is a such a personal song for Ed and despite the fact that it is played so often, his passion when he sings it never wavers-even if he let's the crowd take over. I think the crowd connects with it because of our connection and our passion for ed and the rest of the boys and the fact its a catchy tune helps. Yeaah the theme is dark but Eds want for this woman, to find a better man...that is what makes it powerful and anthemic...and if you have been unfortunate enough to have witnessed domestic violence, I am sure you would feel as passionately as ed does about encouraging her to fight and not keep putting up with the shit. In this way i think it is as much a song of hope...Those are my thoughts anyhow...

thank you for a cogent and well thought out response, fans singing on Better Man is unavoidable at this point, and I can't ever see Eddie asking a crowd not to sing, so sing, understand, and I think the song may even more of a bonding experience, the next time we sing it, I still miss the old version, but the reality of the situation is the ballsy kick butt version of this song is dead forever, and a few old videos and bootlegs are all we have to remember it by, so know the song, sing it, feel it and make it mean something when you do, and if we do that then we still remember, but we still have that song as a unifying moment from that concert, that is really all I could ask for, Eddie could ask for, and we are still being fair to the song, as I stated the whole point of this thread was to raise awareness, and to get people to think, the people who actually did think, are the better for it
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    I still miss the old version, but the reality is we will never see this version ever again, so the sing a long is unavoidable, more just wanted people to think, that's all, and many people have and there are some great well thought out responses, but it is art, and if you like the MSG 2010 version better, I am in no way way mad, and I would say 90% of the people on here understand what the song is about and that is a higher percentage than I would of thought, so this actually turned out to be a very positive thread
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPBhbCbWrY4&list=PL9A00F7314885A11C&index=11
  • Options
    Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling.
    Run for it, Marty.
  • Options
    Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BdT5mFAk-Y
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Get_Right wrote:
    I still miss the old version, but the reality is we will never see this version ever again, so the sing a long is unavoidable, more just wanted people to think, that's all, and many people have and there are some great well thought out responses, but it is art, and if you like the MSG 2010 version better, I am in no way way mad, and I would say 90% of the people on here understand what the song is about and that is a higher percentage than I would of thought, so this actually turned out to be a very positive thread
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPBhbCbWrY4&list=PL9A00F7314885A11C&index=11

I go to shows to NOT think. :lol: I know what the song is about. But live, I just want a good time.
  • Options
    MANKINDMANKIND Posts: 218
    Can you read? I have said throughout this thread at least 20 go ahead and sing? I mean seriously

:fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp:[/quote]

im glad we have your permission to sing now
    Va Beach 08-03-00, Pittsburgh 04-28-03, State College 05-03-03, Hershey 07-12-03, Boston 09-29-04, Reading 10-01-04, Philly 10-03-05, Camden 05-27-06, Pittsburgh 06-23-06, Va Beach 06-17-08, Philly 10-30-09, Philly 10-31-09, Bristow 05-13-10
  • Options
    ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    Actually there's a clear shift starting w/ the Seattle shows in 2002, then growing throughout 2003 for the crowd to sing Better Man. And it really sounds like Ed encourages it. More and more he starts saying 'now you sing!' or 'take it!', or 'you start it!'. As far as I can tell it started with a verse or chorus here or there in Feb-March of '03, then took a big leap when on 4/22/03 in St. Louis the crowd took it right from the beginning for the first time. (Something which I thought happens a lot, but it really doesn't. It's pretty rare that he doesn't either explicitly invite the crowd to sing or himself sing at least the first few words.

It's kind of eerie. I didn't even know there was a thread on this, I just happened to have spent the whole evening prior to seeing it figuring this very thing out. :shock:
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    :lol:

This is back

Pussification to creampuff
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    ladydocNYC wrote:
    Actually there's a clear shift starting w/ the Seattle shows in 2002, then growing throughout 2003 for the crowd to sing Better Man. And it really sounds like Ed encourages it. More and more he starts saying 'now you sing!' or 'take it!', or 'you start it!'. As far as I can tell it started with a verse or chorus here or there in Feb-March of '03, then took a big leap when on 4/22/03 in St. Louis the crowd took it right from the beginning for the first time. (Something which I thought happens a lot, but it really doesn't. It's pretty rare that he doesn't either explicitly invite the crowd to sing or himself sing at least the first few words.

It's kind of eerie. I didn't even know there was a thread on this, I just happened to have spent the whole evening prior to seeing it figuring this very thing out. :shock:
    and actually the South American shows the band kicked major ass on the song, returning more to the original version and it kind of make this thread look irrelevant, but those shows took place afterwards, maybe somehow the band got wind of it and were kind of like "we'll show you", I don't mind the sing alongs, just missed the old version and if the play that old version at least a couple times a year I am happy, I just never got how a song about domestic violence being played at weddings, but that is not the fans fault, I have kind of softened my stance a bit on this issue, especially after hearing it played in Buenos Aries, but we should never as a society put up with domestic violence
  • Options

This is back

Pussification to creampuff
    yeah it seems every 3 or 4 weeks someone resurrects it :lol:
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,592
    Atlanta 1994 Betterman vs. today..I get the OP point.
    "This is dedicated to the bastard who married my momma"
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    When a sad song with catchy harmonies becomes a sing a long, it doesn't necessarily mean the song has lost its meaning. I think the shared experience, and expression of that through singing, actually becomes a healing act. When we sing our pain together, it allows us to transcend the pain we felt alone.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    When a sad song with catchy harmonies becomes a sing a long, it doesn't necessarily mean the song has lost its meaning. I think the shared experience, and expression of that through singing, actually becomes a healing act. When we sing our pain together, it allows us to transcend the pain we felt alone.

Exactly.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden