10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Pettiboner! JMJ is killing me. You can't have someone that doesn't make contact in front of The Man, but I guess we don't have much of a choice right now.

Someone on twitter called Ruben, Ruin Tomorrow Jr. :lol::lol:
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,812
    Went down Sunday night and last night. It shouldn't be this cold for Christ's sakes.

Pettibone looks decent - throws pretty hard; just don't like his arm motion of coming right over the top - looks like a pitching machine and that motion will be easy for hitters to see the ball.

On a semi-related note - Matt Harvey is going to destroy this division, moreso than Strasburg I think.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,357
    Went down Sunday night and last night. It shouldn't be this cold for Christ's sakes.

Pettibone looks decent - throws pretty hard; just don't like his arm motion of coming right over the top - looks like a pitching machine and that motion will be easy for hitters to see the ball.

On a semi-related note - Matt Harvey is going to destroy this division, moreso than Strasburg I think.

how bout what biddle and morgan are doing so far? obviously early, but both look pretty good in reading and lehigh valley...keep it up, young bucks...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ugh. So last year Howard kept swinging and missing at everything away. Now he's doing it to inside pitches that are off the plate. I can somewhat understand going after the away pitches because they cross the plate at some point. These inside pitches are never even on the plate and he's still swinging.

Awful at-bats by Jimmy and Chase in the 8th. Is is me or does JMJ guess at every other pitch he sees?
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Ugh. So last year Howard kept swinging and missing at everything away. Now he's doing it to inside pitches that are off the plate. I can somewhat understand going after the away pitches because they cross the plate at some point. These inside pitches are never even on the plate and he's still swinging.

Awful at-bats by Jimmy and Chase in the 8th. Is is me or does JMJ guess at every other pitch he sees?

Howard is horrendous
    Manuel is clueless
    Amaro sucks at life

This team stinks. I don't know what Amaro has to do to get himself fired. At this point he's Costanza in the parking lot with the WS trophy.

Check out Schierholtz's numbers for the cubs. And he's one of the best defensive corner OFs in baseball. Amaro dropped him and kept Nix and Mayberry. Such a joke

Worst part is that their roster is old and their farm system is desolate. This team is gonna suck for the next decade. All because of Amaro.

Like I said, the Howard contract was the beginning of the end. Funny to think back to those arguments now.
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Howard is horrendous
    Manuel is clueless
    Amaro sucks at life

This team stinks. I don't know what Amaro has to do to get himself fired. At this point he's Costanza in the parking lot with the WS trophy.

Check out Schierholtz's numbers for the cubs. And he's one of the best defensive corner OFs in baseball. Amaro dropped him and kept Nix and Mayberry. Such a joke

Worst part is that their roster is old and their farm system is desolate. This team is gonna suck for the next decade. All because of Amaro.

Like I said, the Howard contract was the beginning of the end. Funny to think back to those arguments now.
    NO ONE disagreed about the contract.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Howard is horrendous
    Manuel is clueless
    Amaro sucks at life

NO ONE disagreed about the contract.

no one, except for most of this thread. JP and cliff were the only ones who agreed with me
  • Options
    It's nice to see Doc coming back, 3 hits in his last 13 innings.

This could be the worst team in baseball with 1st and 3rd no outs.

It's was nice to see both Howard and Utley homer of a lefty.

I know it's only 20 games but I'd like to know how much scouting of Revere was done. Maybe he'll feel more comfortable in the 8 hole once Chooch comes back.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    It's nice to see Doc coming back, 3 hits in his last 13 innings.

This could be the worst team in baseball with 1st and 3rd no outs.

It's was nice to see both Howard and Utley homer of a lefty.

I know it's only 20 games but I'd like to know how much scouting of Revere was done. Maybe he'll feel more comfortable in the 8 hole once Chooch comes back.

I really don't think Revere is this bad. Dude is pressing big time - I mean, look at that go ahead single he hit on Sunday night. Dude was jacked up about that hit like it was game 7 of the World Series. Dude feels the pressure, I know it. The Twin Cities ain't Philly.

Also, the measuring point for this team is Chooch in the 8th hole. Carlos Ruis should never see the light of day in a lineup beyond the 6th hole. If he's any higher then that just shows how shitty your lineup is - that's where Amaro has really fucked up. I'm just now getting around to giving Amaro a grade. A GM - whether the team is good or bad - first two years can be residuals of the previous GM (Gillick's magic), and really should be judged by their fourth or fifth year...which we are seeing now.

I don't know how paying Schierholt $2.5 M was going to cripple this team. Mayberry should have been DFA'd if that was the case. And it certainly makes the trading of Pence with Nate involved even less sense. Rosin is doing real well right now it seems, Joseph seems alright, but when you give up a guy that's under club control then you should get a Major Leaguer in return. Which they did. But then Idiot non-tendered him. Doesn't make a lick of sense - especially at $2.5M and the logic being signing Delmon Young for over a mil. So now we're talking about less than $1.5M of payroll. Insanse.

This team won't be bad for long but it's going to be painful when they are.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,023
    :fp: and now our bullpen blows! Hopefully they can get everything meshing real soon before it's too late (if it isn't already)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Can they top 75 wins? I'm saying no at this point. No bats. No bullpen to keep them in games....
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,749
    Can they top 75 wins? I'm saying no at this point. No bats. No bullpen to keep them in games....

I think it'll be around there. Anything between 68 and 82 seems about right.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329

I think it'll be around there. Anything between 68 and 82 seems about right.

14 game cushion :lol:

Sadly, looking like the low end.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    no one, except for most of this thread. JP and cliff were the only ones who agreed with me

Wrong,everyone agreed the contract sucked. You 3 thought Howard and his Hr's and RBI's were overrated. The other 8-12 people disagreed.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Nothing like 122 pitches in April.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    don't mess with the Zoltan

Brandon-Inge-Zoltan-Pirates.png

and somebody teach Inge the proper technique
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    so kendrick's our ace? :lol:

gotta pick up some wins before heading out west. good start last night.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    so kendrick's our ace? :lol:

gotta pick up some wins before heading out west. good start last night.

looks like it :?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,616
    Don't shoot the messenger. Look at the by line

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/ ... um=twitter
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,749
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I still think it was a good run and can live with a decade of sucking. They sucked for my entire childhood except for '93. I can easily alternate decades of sucking and decades of being good for the rest of my life. It's just baseball.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,616
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I still think it was a good run and can live with a decade of sucking. They sucked for my entire childhood except for '93. I can easily alternate decades of sucking and decades of being good for the rest of my life. It's just baseball.

It was, but it should have been better

And I can't say too much. Yanks are averaging only a little more per game, but it's certainly more worrisome for the Phillies who don't have as deep pockets in general.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

And I can't say too much. Yanks are averaging only a little more per game, but it's certainly more worrisome for the Phillies who don't have as deep pockets in general.

As deep as pockets as who? The Yankees? Rangers? Red Sox? Angels? Dodgers?

I'm not too worried - they're top 5 in percentage of capacity, average the 7th highest/game, and through 14 games have drew over a half million fans. This is all the while not making the playoffs last year and being an absolutely shitty team. Sure, it's not 2010 anymore but to say this team doesn't have deep pockets, nor the payroll to sustain, is pure gibberish. If anything you're seeing teams like the Yankees and Red Sox fall more back to the pack and there be a more level playing field, instead of the threat of the Phils returning to the dreck of the 90's. Watch in 2015 when they land their TV deal...still gonna be silly money no matter how ya look at it.

I expect the attendance numbers to be where they are and I don't mind it. It's like people don't remember games at The Bank pre-2009 - this is what the crowds looked like.

If things fall apart this year, will it suck? Absolutely. But this whole going into the doldrums for years and years is absolutely ludicrous. This team has the ability to spend with anybody. Also, people are getting way too worked up about how barren the farm system is.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

As deep as pockets as who? The Yankees? Rangers? Red Sox? Angels? Dodgers?

I'm not too worried - they're top 5 in percentage of capacity, average the 7th highest/game, and through 14 games have drew over a half million fans. This is all the while not making the playoffs last year and being an absolutely shitty team. Sure, it's not 2010 anymore but to say this team doesn't have deep pockets, nor the payroll to sustain, is pure gibberish. If anything you're seeing teams like the Yankees and Red Sox fall more back to the pack and there be a more level playing field, instead of the threat of the Phils returning to the dreck of the 90's. Watch in 2015 when they land their TV deal...still gonna be silly money no matter how ya look at it.

I expect the attendance numbers to be where they are and I don't mind it. It's like people don't remember games at The Bank pre-2009 - this is what the crowds looked like.

If things fall apart this year, will it suck? Absolutely. But this whole going into the doldrums for years and years is absolutely ludicrous. This team has the ability to spend with anybody. Also, people are getting way too worked up about how barren the farm system is.

E.X.A.C.T.L.Y
    :clap:

we paid about 50 bucks per (before surcharges) to sit 10 rows behind the phils dugout directly next to the diamond club last week. that hasn't happened in years. love it. of course the bandwagoners were going to disappear at some point.

and to go along with all the stuff you mentioned, the weather has been freezing cold for a lot of their games too. they still are at 84% capacity, well ahead of cliff's team actually.

tons of money to play around with as early as next year too if need be. we're not headed back into 1994, people.

CHOOCH!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    did anyone notice tom mccarthy's contract was extended for 5 years last year? i don't know how i missed that.

horrible news. just terrible.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    did anyone notice tom mccarthy's contract was extended for 5 years last year? i don't know how i missed that.

Yeah, man. Awful.

SMACKADOOOOOOS. Fucking awful.

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2013/04/ev ... shell.html

http://tmacsucks.blogspot.com/

All the while Franzke and LA are being wasted on the radio.

And for Chooch, this is awesome - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vjhh1rEEeE
  • Options

Yeah, man. Awful.

SMACKADOOOOOOS. Fucking awful.

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2013/04/ev ... shell.html

http://tmacsucks.blogspot.com/

All the while Franzke and LA are being wasted on the radio.

yeah i heard the smackadoos thing live then saw the cb story.

smackadoos? what? he can't even do "douche bag schtick" correctly. no redeeming qualities what so ever in this guy.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Speaking of which, TheFightins.com is back up and running, and this is funny... http://thefightins.com/me-watching-the-game/
  • Options
    And, I gotta say, another stupid move by this GM. Kratz has an option left; Quintero is a MUCH better defensive catcher. Why they don't demote Kratz and keep Quintero on the roster makes no sense to me, especially when pitchers like Doc, Cliff, and Cole don't like pitching to Kratz. Stupid.
  • Options
    sweeping The Mets is always good :thumbup:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA