Options

***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2013 Thread***

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,190
    least we got the Marlins in town (should win at least 3 of these games).

:fp: wow, Halladay blows this year.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,277
    Ryan may have his flaws but hard to argue that he is not a good dude. cool story below.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... quest.html

and hard to watch halladay's run come to an end. hard to think he can come back from another shoulder injury.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,614
    least we got the Marlins in town (should win at least 3 of these games).

or not.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    pjhawks wrote:
    Ryan may have his flaws but hard to argue that he is not a good dude. cool story below.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phi ... quest.html

and hard to watch halladay's run come to an end. hard to think he can come back from another shoulder injury.
    Trade M. Young and let Asche play. Trade Jimmy and let Galvis play. Trade Chooch and let Joseph play. Trade Lee for the best package you can get. Resign KK before his tag goes up and Fire Charlie and Ruben. And let Biddle dominate in the Minors for the rest of the year.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    anyone else hear the stat on the game last night on which National League 1st basemen has the longest current errorless streak at 64 games?

if Halladay is out for an extended period (or career) what do we put the percentage chance that Oswalt is signed? he already said he would like to come back to philly. either way i hope it's Morgan friday night and not Cloyd.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    anyone else hear the stat on the game last night on which National League 1st basemen has the longest current errorless streak at 64 games?

if Halladay is out for an extended period (or career) what do we put the percentage chance that Oswalt is signed? he already said he would like to come back to philly. either way i hope it's Morgan friday night and not Cloyd.
    Oswalt signed with Colorado last week.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

ah never saw that. didn't see much in the way of news for the last week or so.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

ah never saw that. didn't see much in the way of news for the last week or so.

what about Moyer?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    what about Moyer?

Charlie probably wants Pedro back.

I was wondering if this west coast trip goes bad like they usually do, any chance Charlie gets the boot? wonder what the threshold will be for that move to be made.
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Just read that Michael Young has 7 extra base hits this year...and he has grounded into 10 DPs. On pace to ground into 84 DPs, which would shatter Jim Rice's record of 36. :lol::lol:

Sadly, that is probably the only thing worth paying attention to post AS break.

This team is horrendous. Trade everyone except utley and hamels. I'd pay most of howard's contract if someone else wants him (which they probably don't).

And please, for the love of god...fire ruben minaya jr and the senile manager.
  • Options
    Also, the philly fans are morons. Same dopes who booed hamels in 09 are the ones booing halladay. Pisses me off.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Also, the philly fans are morons. Same dopes who booed hamels in 09 are the ones booing halladay. Pisses me off.

why does halladay get a pass? he has the highest ERA of any starter in baseball this year. I know it's because of injury but still those are the facts. he has hurt the team this year.

and if you are using what he has done in the past to give him a pass how come certain other players don't get the same treatment?

edit: isn't it a little hypocritical for a guy who constantly takes shots at the 2nd most decorated offensive player in franchise history to call out fans for taking shots at other players?
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

why does halladay get a pass? he has the highest ERA of any starter in baseball this year. I know it's because of injury but still those are the facts. he has hurt the team this year.

and if you are using what he has done in the past to give him a pass how come certain other players don't get the same treatment?

edit: isn't it a little hypocritical for a guy who constantly takes shots at the 2nd most decorated offensive player in franchise history to call out fans for taking shots at other players?

he gets a pass because he could have both of his arms ripped off and still try to pitch (people forget about his nlcs performance vs SF in game 5 with a pulled hamstring). he's one of the best pitchers in mlb over the last 20 years. great teammate on and off field. took less money to come to philly in the first place (unlike howard who has been robbing/will continue robbing the team for years). he is the perfect baseball player. so he tried to pitch while injured...I don't see the problem here. for him to get booed off the field is despicable...and typical in this city

I have said a billion times that even though he now sucks, I would never boo howard. I'd trade him for a bag of marbles, but he has done way too much and carried himself well enough that he should never get booed.

I'm not surprised that you're fine with halladay getting booed. you were probably booing hamels in 09.

I love the city of philadelphia...it's a shame that the fans are such dipshits
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,639
    Morgan's Pier opens tomorrow, with George Sabatino taking over the kitchen. Should be badass. The menu was the only downfall last year. I will be spending many a days there this summer.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    The Fixer wrote:
    he gets a pass because he could have both of his arms ripped off and still try to pitch (people forget about his nlcs performance vs SF in game 5 with a pulled hamstring). he's one of the best pitchers in mlb over the last 20 years. great teammate on and off field. took less money to come to philly in the first place (unlike howard who has been robbing/will continue robbing the team for years). he is the perfect baseball player. so he tried to pitch while injured...I don't see the problem here. for him to get booed off the field is despicable...and typical in this city

I have said a billion times that even though he now sucks, I would never boo howard. I'd trade him for a bag of marbles, but he has done way too much and carried himself well enough that he should never get booed.

I'm not surprised that you're fine with halladay getting booed. you were probably booing hamels in 09.

hard to boo a guy who's leaving it all out there ...
  • Options
    Booing Roy is NUTS. Imo he should have said something after the Clev game but booing him is crazy. I'll never agree with the fixer on Howards production but he's way over paid.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I didn't say i was fine with him getting booed i was just asking why you think he gets a pass and a guy like ryan doesn't. i wasn't at the game sunday so i can't say how i would have reacted. i sure as shit wouldn't have been happy with 9 runs in 2 innings (especially before knowing he was hurt) so i can at least somewhat understand fans expressing their displeasure 'at that moment'. it was a reaction to the 9 runs, not a general booing of the player. i think their is a distinction between booing a moment and a general booing/dislike of a player. not a big deal to me.

now if he was booed when announced on the next time out they yes i'd have a problem with it.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,614
    even tho I totally enjoyed cody ross abusing doc in the 2010 nlcs, I hope your boy has a speedy and full recovery. he's a class dude :thumbup:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    why is chase Utley above getting criticized in this town? is it because he is white???

jim Salisbury on csnphilly.com today talks about last night's game and mentions how ryan howard is hitting only .176 against lefties but he fails to mentions that is 62 points HIGHER than the golden boy (obp is almost the same, and slg and ops ryan is higher vs. lefties). chase is hitting a whopping .114 against lefties so far this year with 1 more at-bat than ryan.

look i'm not arguing that ryan doesn't need to be a lot better than he has been so far this year, but everyone acts like chase is having a good year and ryan isn't but ryan's overall stats are almost identical to chase's yet the perception is chase has been good and ryan has been bad (not even accounting for the 27 error pace chase is on defensively as opposed to zero for ryan).

perception vs. reality. :roll:
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I like them both but Chase is a Golden God that said "World Fucking Champions"

Philly is a town full of racists. Even when McNabb was at his peak, I'd hear racist attacks on him for no reason. Christ, even officials treat black QBs different than white QBs.

I'd bet most of the negativity towards Howard is because of his deal after the race issue.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,442
    edited May 2013
    i wish they would have called up morgan. we know what cloyd's ceiling is. but i get the whole clock ticking argument though.

and there are dopes who boo in every city. i wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    kendrick-doc-MK.jpg

:lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    a classier act in sports simply does not exist. no need to apologize roy. good luck.
    :clap::clap::clap:

http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-phila ... llies-fans

Emotional Halladay sends message to Phillies fans

May 10, 2013, 8:15 pm

PHOENIX – In what qualifies as a remarkable event in the often me-first world of professional sports, Roy Halladay sought out reporters Friday evening to send a message to Phillies fans.

Halladay has struggled off and on with injuries for a year. He felt pain in his shoulder in his start on April 24, but continued to pitch. Last Sunday, he was hammered for nine runs in 2 1/3 innings. He went on the disabled list the next day and will have shoulder surgery in Los Angeles on Wednesday, the day after his 36th birthday.

Halladay approached reporters in the dugout at Chase Field shortly after manager Charlie Manuel’s daily press briefing. Speaking softly and with a hint of emotion in his voice, Halladay said the following:

“I've been thinking the last couple of days. I just felt like I should address the fans.

“I know there is a lot of mixed opinions on pitching, not pitching, all that kind of stuff. I know there are people who are disappointed about how I pitched the last two years. I know there are a lot of people who are very supportive. So, one, I just wanted to thank them for their support. And my heart goes out to all of the people who spend all of their money and go out to the games and don't get to see what they want to see.

“I know I'm not the whole team. There are still a lot of guys out there and it's a fun team to watch. But I feel bad that I'm missing the time that I am. I feel bad for the fans that I'm missing the time. It's tough. You feel an obligation to the organization, to your teammates, to the fans to try to go out and pitch. Especially on a competitive team that sells out. For me, that was a big factor. If I'm playing for a last-place team and there's things going on, you maybe speak up. But we have a chance to go win a World Series and we have sellouts and fans have expectations. You want to do everything you can to try to make it work. Really, that was a lot of the reason I tried to keep going. Like I said, I never really felt the pain.

“I just wanted to reach out to the fans, thank them for their support and apologize to the ones who pay the money and show up in the second inning and it's 9-0. I apologize to the fans that I won't be out there for three months. I don't feel like I have to apologize to the team because I think they know. I just want the fans to know that I'm thinking about them. I don't take that for granted. I don't take playing for Philadelphia for granted.”

Halladay, who makes $20 million a year with the Phillies, was asked when this all starting weighing on his conscience.

“It bothered me last year. It bothered me this year,” he said. “Any time you go out there and pitch poorly. First and foremost, I felt bad for my team. I felt I wasn’t doing what I was supposed to be doing. And then you start to think about it and you think, ‘Man, all of these people are paying good money, they’re showing up and they’ve been so supportive over the years, and they’re not getting what they want either.’

“It’s just something you think about. Like I said, my teammates know I want to be out there. I feel like the fans are a very important part of it, too. It’s hard to explain how much you appreciate them when you come from places where you don’t have fans like that. I think it’s important to recognize them.

“I understand that some people are upset, and that’s fine, that’s a part of it. I’m not trying to sway their opinion. If they don’t like me, they don’t like me. That’s fine. I think they mean a lot to the organization, they mean a lot to Philadelphia. We couldn’t do what we do here without them spending the money to come see games. I think that sometimes gets overlooked in sports. They’re a big part of the team success.

“If I paid $60 and the team was down 9-0 when I showed up, I wouldn’t like me. But my heart goes out to them. And to my team. I just wanted to make sure they knew they’ve been a big part of everything and I’ve always appreciated their support.”

On the subject of finally giving in to injury, Halladay said: “It’s hard to swallow. But like I said, I’ve always tried to be optimistic. That’s what you try to focus on. It’s too easy to look at the bad stuff. The hard part is sometimes it’s things you can’t control, and I think you have to recognize that. This is one of those things where it got to the point where I couldn’t control it. And I had to get things taken care of.”
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,773
    Very classy. It's a shame that this era of having Doc isn't gonna pan out. But certainly he left a nice mark on Phillies history. A perfect game, playoff no-hitter, and Cy Young are certainly memorable. I actually met him in the Wawa in Media two years ago and he was nice as hell as seemed genuinely appreciative when I was fanboyishly said "it's so great to have you on the team." Hopefully he's able to come back. He'll never be a Cy Young winning ace that's worth $20 million a year. Hell, shoulder surgery at age 36? He may not ever even be a starter again. But I'd like to see him be able to come back in some capacity and finish up on his own terms. Dude's a pro's pro.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    pjhawks wrote:
    why is chase Utley above getting criticized in this town? is it because he is white???

jim Salisbury on csnphilly.com today talks about last night's game and mentions how ryan howard is hitting only .176 against lefties but he fails to mentions that is 62 points HIGHER than the golden boy (obp is almost the same, and slg and ops ryan is higher vs. lefties). chase is hitting a whopping .114 against lefties so far this year with 1 more at-bat than ryan.

look i'm not arguing that ryan doesn't need to be a lot better than he has been so far this year, but everyone acts like chase is having a good year and ryan isn't but ryan's overall stats are almost identical to chase's yet the perception is chase has been good and ryan has been bad (not even accounting for the 27 error pace chase is on defensively as opposed to zero for ryan).

perception vs. reality. :roll:

howard ops = 800
    utley ops = 830

howard AAV = $25 mill
    utley AAV = $15 mill

utley five tool player
    howard one tool player (you could really argue zero tools at this point of his career...-1.5 WAR over last calendar year)

so, um...yeah.

you really need to just stop talking baseball altogether. you'd save yourself a lot of embarrassment.
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    i wish they would have called up morgan. we know what cloyd's ceiling is. but i get the whole clock ticking argument though.

and there are dopes who boo in every city. i wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.

agree on cloyd/morgan. don't think it's a huge deal as they won't 'need' a 5th starter most of may.

def dopes in every city. just way more in philly than anywhere else
  • Options
    a classier act in sports simply does not exist. no need to apologize roy. good luck.
    :clap::clap::clap:

http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-phila ... llies-fans

Emotional Halladay sends message to Phillies fans

May 10, 2013, 8:15 pm

PHOENIX – In what qualifies as a remarkable event in the often me-first world of professional sports, Roy Halladay sought out reporters Friday evening to send a message to Phillies fans.

Halladay has struggled off and on with injuries for a year. He felt pain in his shoulder in his start on April 24, but continued to pitch. Last Sunday, he was hammered for nine runs in 2 1/3 innings. He went on the disabled list the next day and will have shoulder surgery in Los Angeles on Wednesday, the day after his 36th birthday.

Halladay approached reporters in the dugout at Chase Field shortly after manager Charlie Manuel’s daily press briefing. Speaking softly and with a hint of emotion in his voice, Halladay said the following:

“I've been thinking the last couple of days. I just felt like I should address the fans.

“I know there is a lot of mixed opinions on pitching, not pitching, all that kind of stuff. I know there are people who are disappointed about how I pitched the last two years. I know there are a lot of people who are very supportive. So, one, I just wanted to thank them for their support. And my heart goes out to all of the people who spend all of their money and go out to the games and don't get to see what they want to see.

“I know I'm not the whole team. There are still a lot of guys out there and it's a fun team to watch. But I feel bad that I'm missing the time that I am. I feel bad for the fans that I'm missing the time. It's tough. You feel an obligation to the organization, to your teammates, to the fans to try to go out and pitch. Especially on a competitive team that sells out. For me, that was a big factor. If I'm playing for a last-place team and there's things going on, you maybe speak up. But we have a chance to go win a World Series and we have sellouts and fans have expectations. You want to do everything you can to try to make it work. Really, that was a lot of the reason I tried to keep going. Like I said, I never really felt the pain.

“I just wanted to reach out to the fans, thank them for their support and apologize to the ones who pay the money and show up in the second inning and it's 9-0. I apologize to the fans that I won't be out there for three months. I don't feel like I have to apologize to the team because I think they know. I just want the fans to know that I'm thinking about them. I don't take that for granted. I don't take playing for Philadelphia for granted.”

Halladay, who makes $20 million a year with the Phillies, was asked when this all starting weighing on his conscience.

“It bothered me last year. It bothered me this year,” he said. “Any time you go out there and pitch poorly. First and foremost, I felt bad for my team. I felt I wasn’t doing what I was supposed to be doing. And then you start to think about it and you think, ‘Man, all of these people are paying good money, they’re showing up and they’ve been so supportive over the years, and they’re not getting what they want either.’

“It’s just something you think about. Like I said, my teammates know I want to be out there. I feel like the fans are a very important part of it, too. It’s hard to explain how much you appreciate them when you come from places where you don’t have fans like that. I think it’s important to recognize them.

“I understand that some people are upset, and that’s fine, that’s a part of it. I’m not trying to sway their opinion. If they don’t like me, they don’t like me. That’s fine. I think they mean a lot to the organization, they mean a lot to Philadelphia. We couldn’t do what we do here without them spending the money to come see games. I think that sometimes gets overlooked in sports. They’re a big part of the team success.

“If I paid $60 and the team was down 9-0 when I showed up, I wouldn’t like me. But my heart goes out to them. And to my team. I just wanted to make sure they knew they’ve been a big part of everything and I’ve always appreciated their support.”

On the subject of finally giving in to injury, Halladay said: “It’s hard to swallow. But like I said, I’ve always tried to be optimistic. That’s what you try to focus on. It’s too easy to look at the bad stuff. The hard part is sometimes it’s things you can’t control, and I think you have to recognize that. This is one of those things where it got to the point where I couldn’t control it. And I had to get things taken care of.”

hope he gets surgery, sits out rest of 2013, and the phils bring him back on an incentive laden deal (even though it won't matter with minaya jr calling the shots). love that dude

hopefully he didn't hear the idiots booing him on sunday
  • Options
    Very classy. It's a shame that this era of having Doc isn't gonna pan out. But certainly he left a nice mark on Phillies history. A perfect game, playoff no-hitter, and Cy Young are certainly memorable. I actually met him in the Wawa in Media two years ago and he was nice as hell as seemed genuinely appreciative when I was fanboyishly said "it's so great to have you on the team." Hopefully he's able to come back. He'll never be a Cy Young winning ace that's worth $20 million a year. Hell, shoulder surgery at age 36? He may not ever even be a starter again. But I'd like to see him be able to come back in some capacity and finish up on his own terms. Dude's a pro's pro.

i'm not too optimistic he'll make it back from this. we'll see.

i'll never forget opening day 2010 down in dc for doc's first game as a phil. sea of PHILS red all throughout that place. he was so dominant.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

i'm not too optimistic he'll make it back from this. we'll see.

i'll never forget opening day 2010 down in dc for doc's first game as a phil. sea of PHILS red all throughout that place. he was so dominant.

this was better. video doesn't do it justice. swear you could have heard a pin drop when ball was hit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c68fEYovTVw

He will def pitch again. might not be the same, but he will be back. I really hope it's with the phils
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,639
    Classy? He's no Mo. Then again, no one is
This discussion has been closed.