Options

***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2013 Thread***

Comments

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Nice job on that bullpen Rube!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    So we are just going to ignore the fact the Phillies signed Carlos Zambrano, or what?

What number ace is he again?
    I don't like the move but who cares. It's a minor league deal. If he blows it cost pennies and if he's good they got a bargain.

But the fact of the matter remains, the phillies have the need to sign Carlos zambrano. I hear he was choosing between the phillies and the Long Island ducks, literally
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    So we are just going to ignore the fact the Phillies signed Carlos Zambrano, or what?

What number ace is he again?
    I don't like the move but who cares. It's a minor league deal. If he blows it cost pennies and if he's good they got a bargain.

But the fact of the matter remains, the phillies have the need to sign Carlos zambrano. I hear he was choosing between the phillies and the Long Island ducks, literally

Hide you Gatorade coolers (and your catcher) - Big Z has a temper
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,236
    Anyone else hear they might be interested in Zambrano? :?

:corn: not sure how i feel about this, guess it couldn't hurt.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,458
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Juggs, remember when you were talking shit about the Yankees dumpster diving?

Carlos Zambrano

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

so if hbt makes fun of a phils move, we can rest assured cliff will post about in here within minutes.

funny thing is they don't even need help in the rotation. rotation's been fine. maybe he could help with long relief eventually.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Carlos Zambrano

so if hbt makes fun of a phils move, we can rest assured cliff will post about in here within minutes.

funny thing is they don't even need help in the rotation. rotation's been fine. maybe he could help with long relief eventually.

So I find this funny because hbt finds it funny? I think fans of every other team who have had to hear about the aces for a couple years find it funny
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Carlos Zambrano

So I find this funny because hbt finds it funny? I think fans of every other team who have had to hear about the aces for a couple years find it funny

just seems like your super quick to post something in here shortly after it appers on hbt. the attendance thing a few weeks ago comes to mind.

...your still hung up on the aces thing? :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

just seems like your super quick to post something in here shortly after it appers on hbt. the attendance thing a few weeks ago comes to mind.

The signing had just happened. It was everywhere. Everyone who follows baseball was making fun of it, especially when an entire fanbase has been swinging their dick about their pitching for a couple years now. I posted a link by a Phillies fan about the attendance, okay.....

Phillies fans are funny. When the Yankees sign Garcia and Colon, I never hear the end of it. But when the Phillies are competing with the likes of the Long Island Ducks for Carlos Fucking Zambrano who couldn't even stick on the Marlins last year, no one can make a joke or talk shit.

Just find it amusing is all
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The signing had just happened. It was everywhere. Everyone who follows baseball was making fun of it, especially when an entire fanbase has been swinging their dick about their pitching for a couple years now. I posted a link by a Phillies fan about the attendance, okay.....

Phillies fans are funny. When the Yankees sign Garcia and Colon, I never hear the end of it. But when the Phillies are competing with the likes of the Long Island Ducks for Carlos Fucking Zambrano who couldn't even stick on the Marlins last year, no one can make a joke or talk shit.

How dare you make fun of our struggling team?

Your team sucks!!!

:lol::lol::lol:
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

the guy who wrote the attendance article rips the phils on a daily basis on his other blog. and the yanks avg attendance is worse than the phils while they are having more success thus far...but whatever.

joke all you want. it's cool. we have the most losses of any other professional sports team. we can certainly take it (and knowing that, you can certainly understand us "swinging our dicks" for a only couple years out of a 130 something years). ;)
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,282
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Garcia and Colon were in your rotation were they not? zambrano got signed to a minor league deal, still only about a 40% chance he ever pitches for the phils. it's not the same comparison just yet. and there should be a lot more stuff to mock the phils about than a minor leaguer.

and the phils attendance is still damn good. was down there Tuesday night on a 50 degree night and they had over 39k for the Indians.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

the guy who wrote the attendance article rips the phils on a daily basis on his other blog. and the yanks avg attendance is worse than the phils while they are having more success thus far...but whatever.

joke all you want. it's cool. we have the most losses of any other professional sports team. we can certainly take it (and knowing that, you can certainly understand us "swinging our dicks" for a couple years out of a 130 something).

:lol:

I said back then the Yankees attendance sucks so far this year....I gave up my tickets this year and haven't been yet, so I don't have too much room to say anything.

Okay....
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Garcia and Colon were in your rotation were they not? zambrano got signed to a minor league deal, still only about a 40% chance he ever pitches for the phils. it's not the same comparison just yet. and there should be a lot more stuff to mock the phils about than a minor leaguer.

and the phils attendance is still damn good. was down there Tuesday night on a 50 degree night and they had over 39k for the Indians.

They were and they did pretty damn well. Dude, come on. Regardless of the situation, Carlos Zambrano is in the Phillies organization. That is pretty fucking amusing. Juggs was talking shit about Garcia and Colon the minute the Yankees signed them, so come on.
  • Options
    for what it's worth the phils are still 5th in attendance. for a below .500 team that appears near the end of a decade long run, that's pretty damn good.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    for what it's worth the phils are still 5th in attendance. for a below .500 team, that's damn good.
    Cliffy busting balls is fine by me. Zambrano isn't on the roster so as of now it's a non story imo. I'd prefer Morgan or Martin though. I think these Philly threads in general have had so much BS that he's hoping for the rise we'd get if the fixer said it. The battles between sides is just crazy but so are sports.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    hopefully we never have a need for him other than out of the pen or a spot start or two...

5-4 to start this tough stretch. hard to believe they are still just 3.5 behind the bravos at this point...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Reports are coming out that Venters will need his 2nd TJ surgery.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    We're not talking about attendance, we're talking about Zambrano

I'm done....until he gets called up.
  • Options
    for what it's worth the phils are still 5th in attendance. for a below .500 team, that's damn good.
    Cliffy busting balls is fine by me. Zambrano isn't on the roster so as of now it's a non story imo. I'd prefer Morgan or Martin though. I think these Philly threads in general have had so much BS that he's hoping for the rise we'd get if the fixer said it. The battles between sides is just crazy but so are sports.

:thumbup: I thought Philly could take a little ball busting.

Dude, I got so much shit when the Yankees signed those guys, from the person who got most defensive today.
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Reports are coming out that Venters will need his 2nd TJ surgery.

if the phils can somehow tread water and stay close this month, schedule lightens up in june...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Summer of Dom...

http://philliesnation.com/archives/2013 ... -approach/

Domonic Brown’s New Approach

Domonic Brown may be walking less, but he’s hitting the cover off the ball. Photo: AP
    This past offseason, Ruben Amaro drew quite a bit of criticism when he told reporters that he didn’t value walks very much. The quote, taken from Phillies beat writer Matt Gelb, went like this:

“I don’t care about walks. I care about production. To be frank with you, I’ve said this all along. All of the sabermatricians and all of the people who think they know exactly what makes a good club… to me, it’s more about run production and being able to score runs and drive in runs.”

If you’re anything like me, you had a good laugh after reading that one (laughter to keep from crying). After that laughter subsided, though, I was left wondering how Amaro could say he doesn’t care about walks and then go on to say winning is about driving in runs, something that is made possible from teams getting baserunners, which sometimes come from–you guessed it!–guys getting walked. Logically, Amaro’s statement just didn’t add up.

By now, you’re probably beginning to wonder what exactly this has to do with Domonic Brown. So, I’ll get there: Amaro’s quote above was particularly alarming for Brown supporters like myself. This is because, as Brown has struggled the last few seasons to catch on full-time, many of his believers (again, me) would point to his excellent plate discipline and ability to draw walks as a reason for optimism when there was little else to be encouraged by.

Finally, it seems Brown is beginning to “get it.” His success over the last few weeks has been widely reported, and with good cause. Check out his numbers since April 24: In 79 plate appearances, he’s hitting .286 with an .811 OPS, 5 home runs, 3 doubles, 9 runs, 13 RBI and 17 strikeouts.

Compared to his first 20 games, in which he hit .206 with a .623 OPS, 2 home runs, 1 double, 6 runs, 6 RBI and 13 strikeouts over 72 PAs, Brown’s recent stretch has been a revelation.

You’ll notice that there is one statistic conspicuously missing from Brown’s lines above. That is the number of walks he’s had. One would assume that because he’s been hitting better, Brown has been walking more since April 24. That is far from the case. From the beginning of the season through April 23, Brown walked eight times, with two intentional walks and one hit by pitch for a grand total of 11 walks of some form. Since April 24, he’s walked one time, period. No IBBs, HBPs.

As much as I don’t like to admit it, because I still think walking is a very valuable tool (you only need to check the Phillies walk rates since 2007 and how their decline has coincided with a steep decline in offense to see how important patience is at the plate), but maybe this is what Amaro meant when he said he doesn’t care about walks.

Brown’s success seems to be more approach-based than anything else.

It’s not as though Brown is expanding the strike zone more often (his current 32.8% swings at pitches outside of the strike zone rate is only 2.8 percentage points higher than his career average of 30.0%). Instead, he is recognizing hittable pitches when he gets them, and he’s not missing them. Some might say he’s going up there looking for a hit instead of waiting out a walk, something he seemed to be in the habit of doing in his younger days. He’s being more productive.

And while I still think patience is something every lineup needs to exhibit, I’ll take a lineup full of guys who OPS over .800 if it means they walk only once every 20 games or so, the way Brown has done since April 24.

Still, with an OBP of just .291 in his last 20 games, imagine where Brown’s OPS would be if he got back to walking the way he knows how. If he can get there, then we may finally see the special player we all expected Brown to be three years ago.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    for what it's worth the phils are still 5th in attendance. for a below .500 team that appears near the end of a decade long run, that's pretty damn good.

decade long run? you must have the phillies confused with another team

flawed logic to use total attendance figures since not all stadiums are the same size. if you use percent filled to capacity, the phils are actually 4th (behind STL, SF, Boston).

yankees are 11th. just sayin
  • Options

zambrano is a typical amaro move. fat, shitty, old, and worthless

though if they put him in the OF he'd be their best hitter

this team blows. trade everyone except hamels and utley
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

flawed logic to use total attendance figures since not all stadiums are the same size. if you use percent filled to capacity, the phils are actually 4th (behind STL, SF, Boston).

cliff's post a few weeks ago was referencing avg attendance. hence, the post you replied to.

i realize most phils fans starting following them in 07 or 08... but they've actually been good going back to when thome signed here in '03. it obviously took them 4 or 5 excruciating years to get into post season play though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

cliff's post a few weeks ago was referencing avg attendance. hence, the post you replied to.

i realize most phils fans starting following them in 07 or 08... but they've actually been good going back to when thome signed here in '03. it obviously took them 4 or 5 excruciating years to get into post season play though.

yeah, we have different definitions of good. forgot about your affinity for .500 teams

can't believe thome signed back in 03. fuckin a I'm getting old. feels like yesterday I was at the vet watching his first AB...and watching joe roa start the home opener. ugh
  • Options
    yeah, most of us who have followed this team all our lives trace this current stretch back to around 2003.

and having our hearts broken in september all those years was what made the payoff in 08 that much worthwhile. i know i'm not alone with that thinking.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    yeah, most of us who have followed this team all our lives trace this current stretch back to around 2003.

and having our hearts broken in september all those years was what made the payoff in 08 that much worthwhile. i know i'm not alone with that thinking.

I'd even go back as far as 2001 for this current "stretch" or whatever it can be called. Bowa's first season and it was a huge turnaround (from 65 wins the year before to 85). It was Rollins's first full season with the team as well, and Burrell's second. The seeds were planted.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078

I'd even go back as far as 2001 for this current "stretch" or whatever it can be called. Bowa's first season and it was a huge turnaround (from 65 wins the year before to 85). It was Rollins's first full season with the team as well, and Burrell's second. The seeds were planted.
    Agreed. It was fun watching this team bloom.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options

Yeah, and as someone who follows the phils minors closely (looking forward to the draft in a few weeks), there were guys being drafted during this time who also contributed in 08. My point was that during this time the phillies still weren't good.

It wasn't a decade long run. More like half of that...'07-'11

More importantly though, this team is screwed...now and for the future. They need to start trading guys for prospects. This usually doesn't work out either, but it's better to have a slim chance than no chance at all.
  • Options

Agreed. It was fun watching this team bloom.

good point. i was living in virginia back in 01 so i couldnt watch them as much as i wanted. killed me that it was their first good year since 93 too...

been a good run, boys
    chinese-happy.jpg
This discussion has been closed.