Options

Why do people feel so entitled to 10C tickets?

awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
edited February 2013 in The Porch
I just don't get it.

For a very long time getting 10C tickets has been a lottery of sorts. Whether it was luck of F5'ing or luck of the lottery draw, it was always a gamble. And yes, many of us had our tricks and secrets to beat F5'ing or make sure we had the best chance at getting tickets, but it was just that, a chance, not a guarantee. 10C offers the chance to get tickets before the general public and, in most instances, the best possible seats. Just because you got lucky and/or perfected your technique in getting tickets time after time over the years, doesn't actually make you entitled to tickets. Paying money for a membership with perks and a chance doesn't guarantee you anything.

I've been a 10C member for 10 years, been to 8 PJ shows and to 2 EV shows, and I've gotten 10C tickets 4 times: PJ in Halifax, Hartford, and Montreal, and EV in Hartford. I've spent countless hours, days even, F5'ing in order to successfully and more often than not unsuccessfully get 10C tickets. In the instances where I didn't get lucky, I found other ways to obtain tickets or just didn't go. And yes, I live in New Brunswick, Canada, a place PJ has never played, but I don't mind travelling as little as 3.5 hours or upwards of 18 hours to see a band I love.

I've been a fan of this band for a very long time, and while there are several occasions where I haven't enjoyed some of the decisions they have or 10C or management or whomever was responsible, have made, I've understood this was in the best interest of someone and I've rolled with it. The most recent approach to 10C tickets is the smoothest and most fair to every fan, new and old, in order to see a band that means a great deal to them. Sure the chance to use your techniques and patience hitting F5 to have a better chance at getting tickets is gone, but it was only ever a chance. Now, one can log in, choose options, not have your face ripped off, and receive an email notifying you of your choices instantly, along with an email relatively soon after the deadline notifying you whether or not you were successful.

As far as Wrigley goes, I submitted my #1 (and only) choice of GA pit only this morning as the timing just doesn't work out the greatest for me in my current state of school-life-employment. Within seconds I had an email confirming my selection. Two minutes before the deadline, I canceled my order, having a change of heart on the realities of possibly winning, albeit remote. Again, within seconds, I received an email confirming my cancellation. This was the simplest ticket order I've ever had, and being able to subsequently cancel it--an option that was never before available-- was a great.

So while many will say it's easy to write a post proclaiming support for 10C when the author didn't end up opting to enter the lottery, I will grant you that. However, do I feel entitled to receive 10C tickets? No. Have I ever? No. Have I been shut out from 10C tickets before? Yes. Have I been extremely frustrated and wasted countless hours hitting F5 for nothing? Yes. But I never complained. There are other ways to get tickets via other presales, general onsales, making friends, waiting until the last minute, and the always dreaded scalper, which I don't recommend, as one should never have to pay more than face value for something. Scalpers are usually good for cheaper than face value if you can stand to wait until the very last minute, however this isn't easily done with those travelling great distances.

And to those that say a better system would be a first come first served option, what about the fan that has to work that day? Or the new fan that was at a funeral? Or the server crashes we've come to know and love oh so much? I don't think the biggest and most honest PJ fan is also the fan that sits at his or her computer for countless hours so as to not miss a thing, let alone the chance to purchase tickets to the show of their choice. This new lottery option with servers that work and ease of use is likely the best and most all-encompassing/inclusive option we've had to date, whether you were successful today or not.

My point here is, we should all take a moment to reflect on what it means to be a fan of music. What it means to be a fan of PJ. What it means to be a considerate and compassionate human being. And not what we all have come to accept as normal in jadedness and entitlement. So you didn't win the lottery to see your favourite band. Big deal. There are other options to do so. And the band will play other shows, they'll play other legendary shows and in cool locations. Seeing Pearl Jam is not about the ability to brag to your friends about things or possession or that you were at X location when Y guest showed up for Z song, but about the personal experience you had with a band who's music means so much and your friends and family just don't understand why you love to see them multiple times. This is something you can't see or hold, but only feel.

So be a fan of Pearl Jam. Be a fan of live music. Be a fan of humanity and humility and take your sense of entitlement and shove it.

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine. I am mine."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I agree man. I'm just happy to get the chance. Being positive is awesome. good work!
  • Options
    :clap: very well said. Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Options
    barger395barger395 Posts: 855
    Well said!! :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap:

Cheers and be well y'all!!
    BS
    Seen the Best Rock Band on the Planet a few times here and there.
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    some have 20 reasons, some have 40 reasons, I'm not sure if anybody has 50 reasons...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,266
    some have 20 reasons, some have 40 reasons, I'm not sure if anybody has 50 reasons...
    I just have 1: GA
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    zmanzman Posts: 502
    there was no "luck" with F5, if you were diligent enough you could score tickets. if you were lazy and gave up you didnt. so those who wanted to go to the show the most got the tickets, those who didnt, didnt.

in a nutshell those are the people who u want at the show no? not just the "well if i get them i guess i will go" people
  • Options
    comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    zman wrote:
    there was no "luck" with F5, if you were diligent enough you could score tickets. if you were lazy and gave up you didnt. so those who wanted to go to the show the most got the tickets, those who didnt, didnt.

in a nutshell those are the people who u want at the show no? not just the "well if i get them i guess i will go" people
    not necessarily...I'm more passionate about going to PJ shows than I am about many things in my life, but there were many times I could not sit at a desk and hit F5 over and over again. Not everyone's circumstances are the same, although I definitely did whatever I could to make myself available to hit F5 all day when possible.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    zman wrote:

not necessarily...I'm more passionate about going to PJ shows than I am about many things in my life, but there were many times I could not sit at a desk and hit F5 over and over again. Not everyone's circumstances are the same, although I definitely did whatever I could to make myself available to hit F5 all day when possible.

Exactly. For zman to say those that gave up were lazy and didn't want to go to the show the most is fucking ridiculous. People have jobs and lives to worry about over sitting at a fucking computer all day. Also- there was "luck" with the F5 fiasco. Plenty of people sat at their computer for hours and got shutout. I really can't believe some of the shit I am reading around here today.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Here's how my history has gone...
    1993 - Got a free ticket to see the band from a friend at Empire Polo Grounds (current day Coachella)
    1995 - The way you got tickets was to call a phone number and leave your phone number... then hang up. They called be back and I got a pair of tickets. General admission.
    1998 - First seated show for me. That was when you had to fill out that form they sent in the mail along with a money order. No prob. Ended up in the 3rd row.
    2000 - My membership had lapsed, but i was able to retain my number, but, missed out on the tickets because they never sent out the order form. I was able to get tickets through ETM 9whose servers crashed several times) and Ticketmaster, including 3rd row in Alburquerque. Plus, i won a pair from KROQ Los Angeles.
    2003 - First time we could buy more than one show per tour. Sent in money orders in seperate envelopes for each show. Got San Francisco through Phoenix.
    2006 - Dealt with crashing servers but, got all i was shooting for.
    2009 - First time with the 1,2,9,10 lottery. We could only pick one of the 4 Gibson Ampitheater gigs... split a pair with another fan club member, got the other 2 through Ticketmaster.
    The lottery today was one of the easiest. A lot easier than Ticketmaster and the scalper armies... better than money orders and S.A.S.E.s... better than crashing servers.
    I didn't win... but, that's okay. Ive gotten into past show and i'll get in to future shows.
    I still support the Fan Club and the system of seniority. I also think there should be a means to change up the mix so the same people are not in front row for every show.
    The ONE pair per Tour method does the trick.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    DN46518DN46518 Posts: 18
    Excellent post.
  • Options
    TBird27TBird27 Posts: 14
    Amen brutha!
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    It could be because the 10C has spoiled all the low # folks for the last 20 years.

Telling a sub 100K member he has to sit in the section behind anyone is like telling a child he can't have dessert ever again....
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    stickfig13 wrote:
    It could be because the 10C has spoiled all the low # folks for the last 20 years.

Telling a sub 100K member he has to sit in the section behind anyone is like telling a child he can't have dessert ever again....

Is that so? :lol:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    because I'm a Pearl Jam fan dammit and that alone entitles me to not only 10c tickets but I should
    also get to drive their tour bus, wash their smelly clothes after every show and walk their dogs,
    if they have one.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    I think it's because people have convinced themselves that some kind of skill was involved when F5ing.... delusions of grandeur or something, I dunno. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Well said....I love this system

I would much rather do it this way then go through the frustration of trying to get tickets for two hours to only get nothing with the F5 key.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I think it's because people have convinced themselves that some kind of skill was involved when F5ing.... delusions of grandeur or something, I dunno. :lol:

yeah, that is considered hard work too...

• Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    zman wrote:

Spot on zman. Myself and many others were 100% on F5 (on plenty of shows too), we were still trying while others were posting complaints. EVERYONE has a life, and other commitments. SOME chose to make 10C tickets a priority, which came at a cost that some where willing to pay, and some weren't.

Taking this in to account, you can understand why F5 is the optimal system. For those who don't make tickets a priority, it's essentially a lottery. For those rabid fans willing to invest the time and effort, tickets were nearly guaranteed. The lottery is not all it's cracked up to be, and many of us saw this coming.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    MG79478 wrote:
    zman wrote:

Spot on zman. Myself and many others were 100% on F5 (on plenty of shows too), we were still trying while others were posting complaints. EVERYONE has a life, and other commitments. SOME chose to make 10C tickets a priority, which came at a cost that some where willing to pay, and some weren't.

Taking this in to account, you can understand why F5 is the optimal system. For those who don't make tickets a priority, it's essentially a lottery. For those rabid fans willing to invest the time and effort, tickets were nearly guaranteed. The lottery is not all it's cracked up to be, and many of us saw this coming.

No, there were people F5ing for hours and hours and hours and hours with no luck for PJ20. I've missed MSG shows before. There are tons of people that F5 and have missed out on tickets over the years.
  • Options
    MG79478 wrote:
    zman wrote:

No, there were people F5ing for hours and hours and hours and hours with no luck for PJ20. I've missed MSG shows before. There are tons of people that F5 and have missed out on tickets over the years.

How do you know the details of every person who tried? Did they sit there and refresh once ever 10 minutes, or did they try constantly. You can only assume. I'm going to take an educated guess and say that most exaggerated their efforts when they complained.
  • Options
    spryguy09spryguy09 Posts: 446
    MG79478 wrote:
    zman wrote:

Yeah, screw those stupid people who make their family and work a priority...... :problem:

Besides, people who are saying they've never been shut out, welcome to the club of those who had real priorities during the F5 f-up.
    Toronto Sept 96. Barrie Aug 98. Toronto Oct 00. Toronto June 03. Hamilton Sept 05. Toronto May 06. Toronto Aug 09. Toronto Sept 11. London July 13. Toronto May 16 (I & II).
    Eddie solo. Aug 08 (Massey Hall II)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

yeah, that is considered hard work too...

Do you guys even read other posts? No one said it's "hard work", just that it took effort effort. And while there were some tricks to the trade, I don't see anyone calling it "skill".
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    MG79478 wrote:
    MG79478 wrote:

How do you know the details of every person who tried? Did they sit there and refresh once ever 10 minutes, or did they try constantly. You can only assume. I'm going to take an educated guess and say that most exaggerated their efforts when they complained.
    I don't see how that is mathematically possible unless you assume that the number of people who tried for hours, constantly, exactly matched the number of 10C tickets available. I really do think that some of you have talked yourself into thinking that good luck is actually a payoff for all your F5ing. There is simply no way that anyone who persistently F5'd always got tickets to shows with a very high demand. No f'n way. If it makes your feel better to believe that, well, have at it. But it's kind of delusional.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    I'm not exaggerating, it took me 8 hrs to get PJ20 tickets.

I'm under 100k number and I don't feel entitled, I'm grateful for what I get and if nothing for the moment, then for what I've got in the past.

just saying, some of the lower numbered peeps are not all complainers or post-a-lots.

cheers!

amy
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    spryguy09 wrote:
    Yeah, screw those stupid people who make their family and work a priority...... :problem:

Besides, people who are saying they've never been shut out, welcome to the club of those who had real priorities during the F5 f-up.

Your words, not mine. You don't think I (and other F5 proponents) have family and work priorities? That's asinine. :fp:
  • Options
    MG79478 wrote:
    Do you guys even read other posts? No one said it's "hard work", just that it took effort effort. And while there were some tricks to the trade, I don't see anyone calling it "skill".

I did read other posts, and from those posts is that I've read that F5ing was considered skill and hard work...

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I remember trying to buy PJ20 tickets. I was at a conference for work. I stepped out to buy tickets and tried for a half hour F5ing and didn't get tickets. I don't think you should have to F5 for 8 hours to get a ticket. I think a half hour was enough effort.

I am all for selling first come first serve if the system can handle the stress, but not if we have had the clusterf*cks we have had recently.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    AP30511AP30511 Lincoln, NE Posts: 111
    MG79478 wrote:
    zman wrote:

I'm sorry, but this is one of the most ridiculous things I have seen/read today on here. I've been a very passionate fan since the first time I saw them in 1995 when I was 12 years old and try to see them whenever possible. They are and have been a major influence in my life. However, getting tickets to see them is not my #1 priority. I've got kids, a wife and a full time job. I can't afford sitting at a computer for 9+ hours hitting the F5 key. So anyone who thinks that you are not a real passionate fan if you don't devote a whole day to hitting the F5 key repeatedly, you are out of your mind. I love the new lottery system, as it gives everyone an equal chance to get tickets and you don't have to devote an entire day trying to get tickets. And oh yeah, I got denied for Wrigley today. Missoula too. And PJ20 as well after the F5 fiasco. Made it to those others and will make it to Wrigley. Give the 10C a break, they're doing their best and we should be appreciative.
    1998: Rapid City - 2000: Bonner Springs - 2003: Denver, Council Bluffs - 2004: St. Louis - 2005: Calgary, Edmonton - 2006: St. Paul I & II - 2009: Chicago I & II - 2010: Kansas City - 2011: St. Louis (EV) - 2012: Missoula - 2013: Chicago, Oklahoma City - 2014: Lincoln, Denver - 2016: New Orleans - 2018: Seattle I & II - 2022: Chicago II (EV), Denver - 2023: Austin I & II
  • Options
    MG79478 wrote:
    spryguy09 wrote:

Your words, not mine. You don't think I (and other F5 proponents) have family and work priorities? That's asinine. :fp:

If you believe 8 hours of F5ing makes sense, then so be it dude.
  • Options
    spryguy09spryguy09 Posts: 446
    MG79478 wrote:
    spryguy09 wrote:

And those are your words, not mine. I've been seeing posts all day from people who say they've never missed out on a tour because they would be at the computer ready to buy tix right when they went on sale. That's great if they have the ability to do that. But there are a lot of people who never had that chance because they need to work, and would get, what's the term, oh yeah...they would get SHUT OUT of the 10C tickets.

People need to have some perspective here. The same amount of people get "shut out" of 10C tickets for every show if we need to F5 or if it's a lottery. It's just with the lottery, everyone has an equal chance of getting tickets which is the way it should be.
    Toronto Sept 96. Barrie Aug 98. Toronto Oct 00. Toronto June 03. Hamilton Sept 05. Toronto May 06. Toronto Aug 09. Toronto Sept 11. London July 13. Toronto May 16 (I & II).
    Eddie solo. Aug 08 (Massey Hall II)
This discussion has been closed.