Manti Te'o Dead Girlfriend ... A Hoax?

Comments

• kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    Anyone else think this was a ruse to cover up his possible homosexuality, but it got out of control?

I thought that as a possibility. He's Mormon and a football player, neither of which open their arms to gays (Chris Kluwe notwithstanding).

If I had to hazard a guess as to why he might have been in on the hoax (if he was), I'd say it was a combination of things -- his buddy started a prank he found funny and wanted in on, he wanted a bit more sympathy/attention to lead to a better NFL deal or Heisman, and it could operate as a good cover to deflate questions of why he was single.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,920
    just heard this.....who woulda thought the two biggest national championship stories would be "girlfriends" of the opposing stars?

at least mccarron's appears to be real.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Anyone else think this was a ruse to cover up his possible homosexuality, but it got out of control?

If so, and I've never heard any rumors about Manti being gay, it was a pretty misguided attempt. Most people (Westboro Baptist Church types aside) wouldn't have demonized him for being gay. I'm not saying everything would have been cool, and there wouldn't have been some controversy and possible consequences...unfortunately. But if it were to come out that he made up a hoax like this, and dragged cancer and into it, just to hide something. He'll be much more demonized than if he had just come out of the closet.

Besides, some of the stories coming out now are talking about how he "cheated" on his "girlfriend" with girls around campus. So I'm thinking homosexuality probably has nothing to do with this, or him.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

lots of similarities with penn state with how the Notre Damers can't or won't admit manti might be a scumbag. just another example of how evil college football truly is.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

lots of similarities with penn state with how the Notre Damers can't or won't admit manti might be a scumbag. just another example of how evil college football truly is.

I hear you.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    what in sam's hell is going on here?

i just read the deadspin article and the follow up with the cards fullback saying he met the chick once.

:? :? :? :?
    www.myspace.com
    what in sam's hell is going on here?

i just read the deadspin article and the follow up with the cards fullback saying he met the chick once.

:? :? :? :?

She definitely didn't exist. Disregard what Reagan Mauia said. Who knows why he said that, maybe he's confused, a moron, or just wanting to piggy back his name onto ESPN. But at this point the only thing we REALLY know is that this girl didn't exist.
    I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I was just reading this. According to Notre Dame, Manti supposedly discovered the hoax and reported it to them on December 6th, they confirmed the timeline by saying that he found out while in Orlando for ESPN's end of the year awards. But, on December 8th, answering questions at the Heisman ceremony, Te'o said: "I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer". So even after he apparently discovered it was a hoax, he kept lying about it.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I was just reading this. According to Notre Dame, Manti supposedly discovered the hoax and reported it to them on December 6th, they confirmed the timeline by saying that he found out while in Orlando for ESPN's end of the year awards. But, on December 8th, answering questions at the Heisman ceremony, Te'o said: "I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer". So even after he apparently discovered it was a hoax, he kept lying about it.
    sure. but did the university tell him to keep his mouth shut about it?
    Yeah, I just decided, there is no fucking way this dude was entirely duped. No one is that fucking dumb. Especially him. It may have been a prank in the beginning but he rolled with it.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

redrum. redrum.

Lighten up, Francis. :)
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, I just decided, there is no fucking way this dude was entirely duped. No one is that fucking dumb. Especially him. It may have been a prank in the beginning but he rolled with it.

people at work are suggesting this is a cover up for a gay relationship with the guy who made the girl up?

i have no idea what to believe.

every possible scenario seems way too convoluted for the eventual end game...
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

people at work are suggesting this is a cover up for a gay relationship with the guy who made the girl up?

i have no idea what to believe.

every possible scenario seems way too convoluted for the eventual end game...

Yeah, the gay thing has been thrown around quite a bit. I could see it but then again anything is possible, aside from him being completely duped for that long and not knowing a thing
  • I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I was just reading this. According to Notre Dame, Manti supposedly discovered the hoax and reported it to them on December 6th, they confirmed the timeline by saying that he found out while in Orlando for ESPN's end of the year awards. But, on December 8th, answering questions at the Heisman ceremony, Te'o said: "I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer". So even after he apparently discovered it was a hoax, he kept lying about it.

The timeline offered by Notre Dame indicated that, while at the college football awards show in Orlando on Dec. 6, Te'o was contacted again by the people who portrayed themselves as Lennay Kekua. Te'o was "very unnerved by that, as you might imagine," Swarbrick said.

Te'o then waited 20 days to speak to Notre Dame coaches on the subject, with Swarbrick justifying the delay by saying Te'o wanted to return home to Hawaii and discuss the matter face-to-face with his parents.

It's important to note that Te'o's parents accompanied him from city to city that week, including Orlando and New York.

Likewise it's also important to note that a young star confronted with this situation before one of the biggest weekends of his life may not have been able to process that for a talk with Mom and Dad. It is more or less impossible to know at this stage.

But Te'o still had media sessions to endure for the Heisman Trophy weekend that followed.

"I don’t think of myself as a brand, per se, but as a guy who people look up to as a role model," Te'o said on Dec. 7, the day after allegedly hearing from the hoaxers again. "I'm far from perfect. I never said once I'm perfect. But I try to, in the things I do and the words and I say and the way I conduct my business off the field, I try to just relate to kids and hopefully they can relate to me. and when they see me, hopefully it inspires them to be something great. For me, my whole thing is giving kids hope that they can have dreams and those dreams can come true."

He was then asked this question: Manti, you're very resilient, you lose your grandmother and your girlfriend within the span of 24 hours. I'm just wondering, what made you want to keep on playing the game?

"My faith," Te'o said. "I drew strength from my faith, from my heavenly father, the same thing that everybody should draw strength from. Because in times like that, you find out what life is truly about. There's this game that of football that we all love, and then there's life. That's what this whole thing is about. That's why I'm here."

The following day, Dec. 8, in a session shortly before the Heisman ceremony, brought a question about what charity work Te'o had done in the past year.

"I worked with Relay for Life stuff," Te'o said. "I really got hit with cancer. I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer. I've really tried to go to children's hospitals and see children. I got that opportunity in Houston, too, to go see those kids and spend time with them."

Why Te'o chose to maintain the girlfriend-dying-of-cancer story that day, perhaps less than 48 hours after getting rocked by the reappearance of Lennay Kekua, is among the many questions left unanswered here. Was he embarrassed? Was he unable to compute what was occurring? Was he complicit in the scam and continuing the lie?

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/- ... -74060775/

I really hope he does a interview soon he's so going to get busted with his trail of lies.

The timeline offered by Notre Dame indicated that, while at the college football awards show in Orlando on Dec. 6, Te'o was contacted again by the people who portrayed themselves as Lennay Kekua. Te'o was "very unnerved by that, as you might imagine," Swarbrick said.

Te'o then waited 20 days to speak to Notre Dame coaches on the subject, with Swarbrick justifying the delay by saying Te'o wanted to return home to Hawaii and discuss the matter face-to-face with his parents.

It's important to note that Te'o's parents accompanied him from city to city that week, including Orlando and New York.

Likewise it's also important to note that a young star confronted with this situation before one of the biggest weekends of his life may not have been able to process that for a talk with Mom and Dad. It is more or less impossible to know at this stage.

But Te'o still had media sessions to endure for the Heisman Trophy weekend that followed.

"I don’t think of myself as a brand, per se, but as a guy who people look up to as a role model," Te'o said on Dec. 7, the day after allegedly hearing from the hoaxers again. "I'm far from perfect. I never said once I'm perfect. But I try to, in the things I do and the words and I say and the way I conduct my business off the field, I try to just relate to kids and hopefully they can relate to me. and when they see me, hopefully it inspires them to be something great. For me, my whole thing is giving kids hope that they can have dreams and those dreams can come true."

He was then asked this question: Manti, you're very resilient, you lose your grandmother and your girlfriend within the span of 24 hours. I'm just wondering, what made you want to keep on playing the game?

"My faith," Te'o said. "I drew strength from my faith, from my heavenly father, the same thing that everybody should draw strength from. Because in times like that, you find out what life is truly about. There's this game that of football that we all love, and then there's life. That's what this whole thing is about. That's why I'm here."

The following day, Dec. 8, in a session shortly before the Heisman ceremony, brought a question about what charity work Te'o had done in the past year.

"I worked with Relay for Life stuff," Te'o said. "I really got hit with cancer. I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer. I've really tried to go to children's hospitals and see children. I got that opportunity in Houston, too, to go see those kids and spend time with them."

Why Te'o chose to maintain the girlfriend-dying-of-cancer story that day, perhaps less than 48 hours after getting rocked by the reappearance of Lennay Kekua, is among the many questions left unanswered here. Was he embarrassed? Was he unable to compute what was occurring? Was he complicit in the scam and continuing the lie?

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/- ... -74060775/

I really hope he does a interview soon he's so going to get busted with his trail of lies.

Yeah, I read that part in the story Cliffy just posted. As soon as I saw that I was like, "I thought he supposedly went straight to Notre Dame", because other stories have been saying Notre Dame knew on the 6th. Just goes to show how confusing this story is.

As that story also points out, the AD said that the reason Manti didn't come right out is because he wanted to go to Hawaii and discuss it face to face with his parents. But his parents were there with him in NY and Orlando. I agree with what the story said about maybe he didn't feel comfortable talking to them about it yet. But that just adds confusion.

:fp:

I'm thinking it's a little too early to get a clear picture, and right now the media outlets are falling all over themselves even worse than they were with the original story. I'm thinking about putting this down for a few days and coming back when they have hopefully weeded through the bullshit and conflicting reports and know what's really going on. As it stands it seems like the more you learn, the less you know about this story.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i work with a couple of ND allum. good times in the office today :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    btw, am i the only one who knew nothing about his dead gf, grandma etc? cuz if so, i must be getting really good at avoiding bullshit :lol:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    norm wrote:
    btw, am i the only one who knew nothing about his dead gf, grandma etc? cuz if so, i must be getting really good at avoiding bullshit :lol:

i 'd heard of it, but it didn't really stick. but i live in a quasi ND market
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,920
    lance armstrong is behind all of this.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    norm wrote:

I heard about it a couple times, but didn't think about it too much. Pretty much "that sucks"
  • How is this such a big story? Isnt it either:
    A. He's an idiot, and its over.
    B. He pulled a hoax, he's an idiot, and its over.

:?:

So, do they know who the person was who was on the other end (the fake g/f)?? (sorry, threads too big to read all of it)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    norm wrote:
    I've been asking around the office and everybody looks at me like I'm from TMZ.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    "I cried, I yelled. I never felt that way before. This is six hours after I just found out my grandma passed away and you take the love of my life. The last thing she said to me was, 'I love you.' And that was it."
  • So his girlfriend was basically Jesus right?

Never actually seen - but loved unconditionally?
    died to protect us from the error in our ways?
    rose from the dead?
    norm wrote:

i didn't. that shows you how closely i paid attention to college football this year. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,675
    norm wrote:
    I hadn't heard of any of it until this unfolded yesterday, and I watch a fair amount of college football.
    This weekend we rock Portland