Manti Te'o Dead Girlfriend ... A Hoax?

Comments

• SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    They had Gene Wojciechowski on, he looks like he knows he blew it. But wouldn't admit it. When asked how this changed him as a journalist, his answer should have been "from now on I'll fact check my stories and not just run with it because it sounds good", instead he gave some bullshit rant about how anything is possible.

He also had the balls to say he was disappointed in how Notre Dame has handled this, that they didn't get out ahead of it sooner. While this is true, I don't think he or anybody at a media outlet that repeated this stuff is in any position to criticize how anybody else is handling this. Gene could have gotten WAY out ahead of it by just doing his job. He, and many other reporters are probably kicking themselves over the fact that they weren't the ones who got to break it. Juiciest story of the year was right in front of them, and Deadspin got it.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    They had Gene Wojciechowski on, he looks like he knows he blew it. But wouldn't admit it. When asked how this changed him as a journalist, his answer should have been "from now on I'll fact check my stories and not just run with it because it sounds good", instead he gave some bullshit rant about how anything is possible.

He also had the balls to say he was disappointed in how Notre Dame has handled this, that they didn't get out ahead of it sooner. While this is true, I don't think he or anybody at a media outlet that repeated this stuff is in any position to criticize how anybody else is handling this. Gene could have gotten WAY out ahead of it by just doing his job. He, and many other reporters are probably kicking themselves over the fact that they weren't the ones who got to break it. Juiciest story of the year was right in front of them, and Deadspin got it.

Its funny how all the writers who blew this story are acting like they did nothing wrong
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    A pretty funny tweet

" A fake person who loved you, then died? Isn't that what Notre Dame is all about? #jesus #te'o"
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    A pretty funny tweet

" A fake person who loved you, then died? Isn't that what Notre Dame is all about? #jesus #te'o"
    wow :lol::lol:
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Seems like Deadspin and TMZ have become more credible news sources then ESPN.
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909

Its funny how all the writers who blew this story are acting like they did nothing wrong

There's an old journalism adage: "If your mother says she loves you, check it out." Looks like no one did -- save Deadspin reporters.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:

There's an old journalism adage: "If your mother says she loves you, check it out." Looks like no one did -- save Deadspin reporters.

:lol: - I think Pat Forde said that is on of his articles on yahoo sports, that guy is so far in bed with Notre Dame, I'm surprised he has not accused the deadspin writers as making up the story
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Pete Thamel told us that Manti Te'o got up in front of his entire team and spoke in detail of his girlfriend's death after he got news
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    A pretty funny tweet

I saw that one. Funny
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    Can;t get over that Notre Dame claims to have known about this well before the title game, maybe as far back as early December, and still let it all go on. I guess they were hoping it would just go away.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited January 2013
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OUGbu6Jcrmw

A little ditty by tool dedeicated to all of the bloodthirsty people and media digging and hoping this kid had something to do with it...
    Post edited by my2hands on
    Can;t get over that Notre Dame claims to have known about this well before the title game, maybe as far back as early December, and still let it all go on. I guess they were hoping it would just go away.

Well, they weren't going to let it out before the Heisman ceremony. And likely didn't want it coming out before the National Championship game. Can't figure out why they didn't come out after that though. In this day and age you can't hide something like this.

Well, they weren't going to let it out before the Heisman ceremony. And likely didn't want it coming out before the National Championship game. Can't figure out why they didn't come out after that though. In this day and age you can't hide something like this.

For what it's worth, the ND AD said they left it up to the Te'o family and that he thought they had been planning on talking about it next week but Deadspin beat them to it.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

For what it's worth, the ND AD said they left it up to the Te'o family and that he thought they had been planning on talking about it next week but Deadspin beat them to it.

:lol: That's what I would say too if I got burned by something I had hoped to cover up or would go away
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I wonder if the school and football program wanted to run with this story because of the buzz and publicity. Wonder if he was put in the middle of a rock and hard place by the administration.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

3 Years? Is that part true- he was friends with and then "dating" this girl for 3 years without meeting her?
    Sounds like he was trying to hide something.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

3 Years? Is that part true- he was friends with and then "dating" this girl for 3 years without meeting her?

Kind of. The deadspin article references a article from South Bend that says they met after the 2009 Stanford game, but didn't become a couple until this past year, I believe.
    Sounds like Te'o cancelled an interview with Jeremy Schapp and ESPN
  • Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    LloydXmas wrote:
    I wonder if the school and football program wanted to run with this story because of the buzz and publicity. Wonder if he was put in the middle of a rock and hard place by the administration.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it was a Heisman strategy or something. But I wouldn't think the university or any organization would be behind this. You would think that the administration would have had enough common sense to know this would all come out. I'm thinking either it was a hoax, and Manti just got himself stuck by embellishing his involvement and trying to make himself look like a hero in a story he was only somewhat acquainted with. Or he was in on it. But all the claims he makes in the interviews can't be excused by simply saying it was a hoax. He inserted himself way too far in the supposed story and made claims that contradict the hoax explanation. At the very least he told some fibs.

I would rather Manti be in on it to be honest. If somebody really were the subject of this kind of hoax, it would be extremely sad and I'd feel bad for the guy.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Hope Notre Damn does not expel him for hurting the program
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

That's pretty much what I was starting to think was going on. He became somewhat involved in a hoax, and just lied about his own involvement for the good press. Who knows, maybe he even believed a lot of what he was saying. His heart may have even been somewhat in the right place, but he did use the situation for his own benefit at the same time. I think he became involved in what he saw as an inspirational story, and jumped a little too hard on the bandwagon.

It would be interesting if all this stuff was true, and Manti did cheat on her or whatever. But at this point, until all of this is checked out, we're just taking another Notre Dame student's word for it on what happened.
  • AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    Anyone else think this was a ruse to cover up his possible homosexuality, but it got out of control?
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young