Manti Te'o Dead Girlfriend ... A Hoax?

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    So we're starting to think this moron was duped? Dude talked about this chick CONSTANTLY and he never met her? Honestly at this point, having made it up is probably the better option. :lol:
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    This whole story is so confusing. :?
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    So we're starting to think this moron was duped? Dude talked about this chick CONSTANTLY and he never met her? Honestly at this point, having made it up is probably the better option. :lol:
    Well, SOME people are going to believe his story that he was duped.
    I am NOT one of those people.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm going with what someone else already alluded to:

1) Star Linebacker at most famous Catholic University
    2) Friends ask - "Dude!!! You're the star. Why do we never see you with any chicks?"
    3) Manti - "Oh, that's b/c I have a girlfiend in Stanford/SAN FRANCISCO"!!!!! - (Stupid - it's supposed to be CANADA. Why the hell did you pick such an obvious place? Were you trying to get caught?)
    4) Becomes an apparent top 10 pick - umm, bro - we gotta put an end to this or someone's going to find out.

The only thing I can't figure out is - why kill her off? Was this really ALSO tied up in an attempt to gain sympathy for the Heisman? Seems silly as his Grandmother had just died. Why not just say you broke up?

Anyway, timing would be perfect for him to have the reverse - well, we can't let him drop in the draft b/c we'd be looked at as anti-whatever it is I'm trying to allude to.

Whether he is or not, I think his best option at this point is to at least fake it. I mean, guy faked or was duped into the girl. Why not just become a hero to an entire segment of the population while gettting one of the coveted salary slots in the draft? He could always later say - well, I'm both, and I've settled on this. When he's 26 years old and done being run over by the NFL RBs, will anyone really care?

Ok. If I've offended anyone, I'm sorry. Maybe, I did take a bit too far. But, I really just want this to get weirder b/c it is just pure comedy gold.

EDIT: Is there anyone doubting that he will be drafted by the Jets and Rex Ryan at this point? Can Modell's just start selling his jersey now?
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Ok. If I've offended anyone, I'm sorry. Maybe, I did take a bit too far. But, I really just want this to get weirder b/c it is just pure comedy gold.

Is it really that funny? Whether he was completely duped or he was in on the whole thing, this shit is extremely disturbing.
    Ok. If I've offended anyone, I'm sorry. Maybe, I did take a bit too far. But, I really just want this to get weirder b/c it is just pure comedy gold.

Is it really that funny? Whether he was completely duped or he was in on the whole thing, this shit is extremely disturbing.

It's funny that National reporters don't even do their job right and it takes and college intern at Deadspin to break this story.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Ok. If I've offended anyone, I'm sorry. Maybe, I did take a bit too far. But, I really just want this to get weirder b/c it is just pure comedy gold.

It is hysterical. And the fact that you think it's disturbing is funny. Who gives a crap? It's some 22 year old guy that either made up a girlfriend in a "foreign land" like a 12 year old boy, or who got duped over the internet like a 12 year old girl.

And he's supposed to be brilliant. How that cannot NOT be funny is disturbing to me.

It's better than watching a train wreck because, let's face it, other than the feelings of those that are embarassed about being duped by the potential duper, nobody got hurt.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Manti will soon go down as...

"One of the BIGGEST CLOWNS to walk planet Earth"
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    JK_Livin wrote:

It's funny that National reporters don't even do their job right and it takes and college intern at Deadspin to break this story.

Jack dickey isn't exactly a college intern
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm going with what someone else already alluded to:

1) Star Linebacker at most famous Catholic University
    2) Friends ask - "Dude!!! You're the star. Why do we never see you with any chicks?"
    3) Manti - "Oh, that's b/c I have a girlfiend in Stanford/SAN FRANCISCO"!!!!! - (Stupid - it's supposed to be CANADA. Why the hell did you pick such an obvious place? Were you trying to get caught?)
    4) Becomes an apparent top 10 pick - umm, bro - we gotta put an end to this or someone's going to find out.

The only thing I can't figure out is - why kill her off? Was this really ALSO tied up in an attempt to gain sympathy for the Heisman? Seems silly as his Grandmother had just died. Why not just say you broke up?

Anyway, timing would be perfect for him to have the reverse - well, we can't let him drop in the draft b/c we'd be looked at as anti-whatever it is I'm trying to allude to.

Whether he is or not, I think his best option at this point is to at least fake it. I mean, guy faked or was duped into the girl. Why not just become a hero to an entire segment of the population while gettting one of the coveted salary slots in the draft? He could always later say - well, I'm both, and I've settled on this. When he's 26 years old and done being run over by the NFL RBs, will anyone really care?

EDIT: Is there anyone doubting that he will be drafted by the Jets and Rex Ryan at this point? Can Modell's just start selling his jersey now?

Ha and yeah, it does seem like he told his dad that he was going off to meet his "girlfriend" while he was in Hawaii. So many possibilities. :lol:
  • It is hysterical. And the fact that you think it's disturbing is funny. Who gives a crap? It's some 22 year old guy that either made up a girlfriend in a "foreign land" like a 12 year old boy, or who got duped over the internet like a 12 year old girl.

And he's supposed to be brilliant. How that cannot NOT be funny is disturbing to me.

It's better than watching a train wreck because, let's face it, other than the feelings of those that are embarassed about being duped by the potential duper, nobody got hurt.

:lol::lol::lol:

To each their own. I just think whether Te'o was behind the whole thing or he's a complete moron and was duped by some asshole on the internet, the whole thing is fucked up.
    Manti will soon go down as...

"One of the BIGGEST CLOWNS to walk planet Earth"

For sure, and it's awesome
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Being in the UK I know nothing about this story but it did remind me of trailers for this tv show that is soon to air based on the Catfish documentary

http://www.mtv.co.uk/news/catfish-the-t ... -is-coming

http://www.mtv.co.uk/shows/catfish
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Dead spin writer on dan patrick right now..
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I caved in on my ESPN boycott last night to see some of this coverage, and I watched some this morning. ESPN's coverage seems pretty tame for them. They're covering it, but not the same way they would if it weren't a story that made them look stupid. Normally this type of off-field controversy would be getting the live/constant coverage. But they're kind of treating it like any other story. Steven A. Smith gave kudos to Deadspin, which I found funny. An ESPN talent giving Deadspin kudos for doing what ESPN (or anybody that reported it) should have done.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • I caved in on my ESPN boycott last night to see some of this coverage, and I watched some this morning. ESPN's coverage seems pretty tame for them. They're covering it, but not the same way they would if it weren't a story that made them look stupid. Normally this type of off-field controversy would be getting the live/constant coverage. But they're kind of treating it like any other story. Steven A. Smith gave kudos to Deadspin, which I found funny. An ESPN talent giving Deadspin kudos for doing what ESPN (or anybody that reported it) should have done.

Maybe that is why there isn't as much coverage by ESPN?? The fact that this story was broke by Deadspin and not them? If one of their reporters broke this story, it would be everywhere.
    I caved in on my ESPN boycott last night to see some of this coverage, and I watched some this morning. ESPN's coverage seems pretty tame for them. They're covering it, but not the same way they would if it weren't a story that made them look stupid. Normally this type of off-field controversy would be getting the live/constant coverage. But they're kind of treating it like any other story. Steven A. Smith gave kudos to Deadspin, which I found funny. An ESPN talent giving Deadspin kudos for doing what ESPN (or anybody that reported it) should have done.

Maybe that is why there isn't as much coverage by ESPN?? The fact that this story was broke by Deadspin and not them? If one of their reporters broke this story, it would be everywhere.

You nailed it. It was the same with the Joe Pa stuff. They didn't break it so they waited a while to send someone there.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    Dan P was wondering if ESPN knew about this prior to the bowl game and sat on it so it wouldn't distract people from the championship game. Interesting thought
  • I caved in on my ESPN boycott last night to see some of this coverage, and I watched some this morning. ESPN's coverage seems pretty tame for them. They're covering it, but not the same way they would if it weren't a story that made them look stupid. Normally this type of off-field controversy would be getting the live/constant coverage. But they're kind of treating it like any other story. Steven A. Smith gave kudos to Deadspin, which I found funny. An ESPN talent giving Deadspin kudos for doing what ESPN (or anybody that reported it) should have done.

And also:

1) They fell for it, and more importantly
    2) They may want to interview the guy sometime in his future NFL career and if they piss him off too much, his agent may say - thanks, but we're taking it to another Sports channel

Once folks realize the E in ESPN stands for Entertainment and the N does not stand for News, they'll understand their motives.
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Dan P was wondering if ESPN knew about this prior to the bowl game and sat on it so it wouldn't distract people from the championship game. Interesting thought
    If they did know, how many of them gambled on Alabama?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • JK_Livin wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

If ESPN did know about this prior to the game, wouldn't they have reported this story? I feel like that would have brought even more attention to that game and probably higher ratings.
    JK_Livin wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

If ESPN did know about this prior to the game, wouldn't they have reported this story? I feel like that would have brought even more attention to that game and probably higher ratings.
    I don't know. I think maybe people probably would have been a bit turned off by the game.

who knows.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399

Yeah, as I said, they're not covering it the same way as they would if it didn't make them look stupid.

Last night ESPN was actually taking credit for it. "Jeremy Schapp broke the story" supposedly last night, but today they're giving credit to Deadspin.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    Deadspin is going to have a follow up today.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hope part of the follow up is they call out everyone that did absolutely no investigation into this whole thing

You would think this story would have some aspect of what really happened by now, but it just gets crazier by the hour
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I hope part of the follow up is they call out everyone that did absolutely no investigation into this whole thing

You would think this story would have some aspect of what really happened by now, but it just gets crazier by the hour

Yeah, I feel like this is a story that we will never have conclusive answers too.

I am sure it is going to be really questioning what Te'o says and why he talks about meeting her if it really was strictly online.
    teo.gif
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,671
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, I feel like this is a story that we will never have conclusive answers too.

I am sure it is going to be really questioning what Te'o says and why he talks about meeting her if it really was strictly online.

Im not so sure. It was supposedly online/phone. There will be tangible trails of data from internet and cell phone records.