Manti Te'o Dead Girlfriend ... A Hoax?

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    edited January 2013
    Post edited by norm on
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    norm wrote:

Yeah, I am just ignoring this aspect. I can't wrap my head around this as it is. That guy has to be full of shit.

This may be my favorite sports related story EVER
    Norm, who's Twitter should I be following for this? I got The Big Lead right now
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Norm, who's Twitter should I be following for this? I got The Big Lead right now

pretty much everyone :lol: i got that link above from the comments on a deadspin article

i can't keep up :lol::lol:
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

pretty much everyone :lol: i got that link above from the comments on a deadspin article

i can't keep up :lol::lol:

Yeah, dude. THIS.IS.AWESOME.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, I mean I get why he backed off to an extent, he thought the kid was dealing with some serious shit and while there were some read flags, just believed him. I mean, at the time could you really predict this?

I can't wait for Te'o to embarrass himself, more than he already has that is

I can see backing off talking to Te'o about it, but he still could have fact-checked his story. If I were a journalist I would always (as I think they're probably taught to) fact-check a story before I put it out there for millions of people. Especially if there had been some red flags.

As for T'e'o, I can't really tell how involved he is. I can't tell if he's completely behind it, or if he went along with it, or maybe got duped but since he lied about how involved he was with this "person" tried to cover it up. Since a lot of it stemmed from the South Bend Tribune, and that seems to be where the whole thing started, the conspiracy theorist in me was thinking this was some sort of elaborate Heisman strategy to help him win by tugging at voters heart strings. But I wouldn't think anybody actually associated with the university would back a plan that was destined to backfire. So I'm sure it's a little more homegrown than that.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, I mean I get why he backed off to an extent, he thought the kid was dealing with some serious shit and while there were some read flags, just believed him. I mean, at the time could you really predict this?

I can't wait for Te'o to embarrass himself, more than he already has that is

I can see backing off talking to Te'o about it, but he still could have fact-checked his story. If I were a journalist I would always (as I think they're probably taught to) fact-check a story before I put it out there for millions of people. Especially if there had been some red flags.

As for T'e'o, I can't really tell how involved he is. I can't tell if he's completely behind it, or if he went along with it, or maybe got duped but since he lied about how involved he was with this "person" tried to cover it up. Since a lot of it stemmed from the South Bend Tribune, and that seems to be where the whole thing started, the conspiracy theorist in me was thinking this was some sort of elaborate Heisman strategy to help him win by tugging at voters heart strings. But I wouldn't think anybody actually associated with the university would back a plan that was destined to backfire. So I'm sure it's a little more homegrown than that.

I hear you. I agree.

Dude, there are so many possibilities. I am 90% leaning towards Te'o making it all up for publicity, there is just too much pointing to him and 10% of me says he was duped and he is just that pathetic that he talked about an online girlfriend ALL the time. Either way, it's incredible.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Dude, there are so many possibilities. I am 90% leaning towards Te'o making it all up for publicity, there is just too much pointing to him and 10% of me says he was duped and he is just that pathetic that he talked about an online girlfriend ALL the time. Either way, it's incredible.

And now with this Reagan Mauia thing it's even more confusing!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, like I said to Norm, I'm not even thinking about that. This chick did not exist, maybe someone by the same name or something.
    The fact that she "died" like 3 weeks before his family was supposed to meet her, and he shut the reporters down....come on. This dude better have his shit in line, because the one thing reporters do not like is getting lied to
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    clearly the AET needs to hatch a hoax to spread world wide :corn:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    clearly the AET needs to hatch a hoax to spread world wide :corn:

A smoking baby will definitely catch on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, like I said to Norm, I'm not even thinking about that. This chick did not exist, maybe someone by the same name or something.

Yes. Too many of the facts from the Deadspin story, as well a Te'o "admitting" he was duped and she didn't exist, make me wonder what the hell is up with Reagan Mauia. Are things so bad in Arizona you have to lie about knowing a dead chick that a Notre Dame player lied about knowing to get your name on ESPN? Given the name of the girl, Lennay Kekua (which I'm assuming isn't that common) I doubt it's a matter of him knowing a girl by the same name. How many Lennay Kekua's could have recently died?
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    Enkidu wrote:
    It's such a weird story, I don't really understand it.

Mormon football player at a Catholic university makes up a girlfriend...

Hard to not think that it is covering up his partner who isn't a girl but the "friend" that set up the account. The death part is just weird...
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
    I thought all fake girlfriends were Canadian.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:

Yeah, I am just ignoring this aspect. I can't wrap my head around this as it is. That guy has to be full of shit.

This may be my favorite sports related story EVER

agree, it's absurd, funny, pathetic and disgusting all rolled into one. unbelievable on all levels.
    norm wrote:

What?!?!??!?!?

Gotta be fake right? Is that the original twitter account? That account just retweeted a couple from Te"o
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:

What?!?!??!?!?

Gotta be fake right? Is that the original twitter account? That account just retweeted a couple from Te"o

i'm thinking it was just made up but with this story ya never know :lol::lol:
  • I gotta watch SNL this week. So many epic possibilities. Of course, they could just act out exactly what happened. Gold, Jerry! Comedy gold!
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    edited January 2013
    so someone did some digging on twitter...these supposedly are tweets from the perpetrators

https://twitter.com/jayRahz/status/278973792544505858
    https://twitter.com/jayRahz/status/288495738856558594
    https://twitter.com/jayRahz/status/276073152432447488

it's possible manti really was duped...or not

this story gets weirder and weirder :lol::lol::lol:
    Post edited by norm on
  • norm wrote:
    so someone did some digging on twitter...these supposedly are tweets from the perpetrators

https://twitter.com/jayRahz/status/278973792544505858
    https://twitter.com/jayRahz/status/288495738856558594
    https://twitter.com/jayRahz/status/276073152432447488

it's possible manti really was duped...or not

this story gets weirder and weirder :lol::lol::lol:
    If he was duped..

Wouldnt that make him one of the dumbest fucks on planet Earth?
    Yet, I may be wrong here, but isnt he an Academic All-American?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    and then there's this from a Stanford player...

https://twitter.com/MMasifilo/status/291735118819766272
    If he was duped..

Wouldnt that make him one of the dumbest fucks on planet Earth?
    Yet, I may be wrong here, but isnt he an Academic All-American?

you can be book smart and still be conned...kinda sad really
    norm wrote:
    and then there's this from a Stanford player...

https://twitter.com/MMasifilo/status/291735118819766272

confused.gif

I might have to actually watch ESPN. I'm so confused. I'm betting they're confused too. And that's probably worth watching.
    IF (BIG IF) it is true that Manti was the victim of a hoax, and what the AD is saying is true, this was SERIOUSLY fucked up. He said that there was a woman in on the hoax who talked to Manti on the phone. After she had supposedly died he got a phone call from her phone number, and it was her voice and she told him that she wasn't dead. The AD said this "unnerved Manti". Ya think asshole? He probably shit his pants. If any of my dead friends were to call me up right now I'd have a heart attack. That's so messed up if that happened.