9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    eagles/bears flexed to sunday. birds can clinch--if they win and dallas loses next week.

http://igglesblitz.com/2013/12/good-the-eagles/

How Good Are The Eagles?

Posted: December 9th, 2013 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 135 Comments »
    This Eagles team is hard to get a handle on. They have a record of 8-5, but this is a very different team right now than it was in September or even October. The obvious difference is Nick Foles taking over at QB, but that’s actually just one piece of the puzzle.

The O-line is playing their best football of the season. It took a while for Todd Herremans to adjust to the RG position. He still has some struggles in pass protection from time to time, but is generally solid. RT Lane Johnson had some rookie moments early in the year. He’s now developed into a solid RT.

The defense is world’s better. They allowed 34.5 points per game for the first month. Since then, no team has scored more than 21 points in a game. The Eagles were dead last in scoring defense for a while. They are now all the way up to 13th. Amazing. Give some credit to Bill Davis and his staff for figuring out how to use the players. Give a lot of credit to the players, since they have gotten better all year long and really become playmakers.

Fletcher Cox started slow, but is now playing good football. Vinny Curry began the season as a spectator. He earned playing time and is now a key part of the defense. DeMeco Ryans took a while to hit his stride. Nate Allen looks like a legitimate starting Safety. Trent Cole has been very disruptive in recent weeks. Early in the season he was effective, but not making plays.

Think about P Donnie Jones. He is the anti-Sav Rocca. Remember how Rocca was always good for about 6 weeks and then as the weather cooled down, so did his punting? Jones had his 2 best games in late November/early December. And don’t underestimate the importance of his punting on the team’s 5-game win streak. He’s been a huge help to the defense by pinning teams deep.

And of course we do have to talk about Foles. St. Nick is now 6-1 as a starter. I think Foles has had his biggest impact in 3 areas. First, he protects the ball. Michael Vick did a solid job of protecting the ball. He only threw 3 INTs this year. But 2 of them came in the loss to KC, including a pick-6. Those INTs turned into 10 points. The Eagles lost that game by 10 points. I’m not saying the loss is all on him due to the INTs. Clearly there were many issues in the game. But the turnovers were costly. They played a big part in the loss.

Foles has 2 turnovers this year. He fumbled in the GB game. That didn’t result in any points. Foles threw a pick yesterday that did lead to a TD. But mostly Foles has protected the ball very well. He is making good decisions. There are some times when he will throw the ball into coverage and rely on his receivers to go get the ball or break it up. Most good QBs do that. You can’t expect every player to be wide open. The key is to be selective with these throws. Don’t make them at critical times. And do make sure that you are giving your guy a chance to get to the ball.

Red Zone success is the next area in which Foles has had major impact. The Eagles are 29th in this stat right now. They were 31st or 32nd under Vick. That doesn’t sound like much, but you do have to factor in that the Eagles have taken a knee in the RZ 3 times under Foles. There was a possession in the Tampa game when the Eagles just ran the ball and kicked a FG. There was no serious attempt to score a TD. That is 4 possessions when the Eagles were just working the clock.

Look at the RZ stats for both guys.

Player Passing TDs Rating Rushing TDs
    Vick 5-19-38 1 57.1 6-18 2
    Foles 18-26-136 10 121.2 12-9 3
    The rushing stats for Foles look funny, but remember that at least 6 of those are kneel-downs. Matt Barkley had 3 RZ knee-downs in one game.

The emergence of Riley Cooper is the final area in which Foles has had tremendous impact. It was like a light switch getting turned on. Rather than me trying to throw the stats at you, just go look at his gamelog. It is amazing the difference that Foles has made with Coop. I predicted Riley’s numbers would go up with Foles at QB, but even I didn’t expect this. The big difference is that Vick likes receivers to be clearly open. Cooper doesn’t get consistent separation. You must be willing to throw to him while covered. Foles will do this and it has paid off for both players.

Prior to Cooper’s emergence, the passing offense was going to sink or swim with DeSean Jackson. Now teams have to worry about both WRs. That has helped the whole offense. With Foles taking over at QB, it was almost like the Eagles made a trade for a good WR. Cooper has 7 TDs on the year and is 2nd in the NFL in yards per reception.

Back to the original question…how good is this team?

I’m always cautious of buying too much into a win streak. There is a lot of fool’s gold in the NFL, both past and present. All we have to do is look down I-95 to the mess that the Skins are. Just one year ago life was glorious in D.C. Team Shanny was brilliant. RG3 was a revelation. Jim Haslett and the defense still stunk, but for some reason that got conveniently overlooked. I think it is important to be skeptical of a team that starts to win more or play better than expected.

Peter King has the Eagles 8th in his latest power rankings. Is that really possible? The 8th best team in the entire league? This is where you have to separate the Eagles of the last 9 games from the team that got off to a 1-3 start. Since then, the Eagles are 7-2. They protect the ball. They score TDs. They come up with takeaways. They prevent TDs.

I think it would be easier to be comfortable with the Eagles if this team wasn’t 4-12 last year and so flat out awful for half the season. I think the slow start to 2013 sticks with us. I think we all still have that little bit of fear with Chip Kelly. Is Joe College going to get exposed in some way, shape or form? There is the whole Foles Factor. Is he really this good?

This Eagles team is not the 2012 Skins. That group started 3-6 before winning the final 7 games of the season. 5 of those wins came against NFC East teams. I don’t think I need to remind you how bad the division was last year. The Skins got hot at the right time. They still had an awful defense. They still had an OL that struggled to pass block. That team was a fluke.

Before the season I predicted 8 or 9 wins. I saw a good coach, enough talent for him to work with and a soft schedule. I did not envision the offense doing amazing things. I did not envision the defense going 9 straight games without allowing an opponent to score 21 points. Chip Kelly and his staff have done an amazing job.

Time will tell us just how good the Eagles truly are, but I do think it is time to accept the fact that this is a good team.
    www.myspace.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    imalive wrote:

I'm just glad the dog killer never had any meaningful success as your QB.

As for me, I'm glad your Cowboys have not had any meaningful success in almost 20 years. :lol:

"I kind of walked right into that" :fp:

hqdefault.jpg
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Foles v. McCown over Brady v. Flacco? Wow!

As a ticket holder I'm pissed. Maybe I can make a little profit and take off Monday.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    last season the eagles ran the ball 413 times.

this year, they have ran it 417 times...with 3 games to play.

amazing what a little balance to the offense does.
    www.myspace.com
  • last season the eagles ran the ball 413 times.

A PJHawks wrong statement in........................
    Go Birds!!!!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    edited December 2013

is that playing a bigger role than health, top rated QB, a shitty schedule, and defense playing 100x better than expected or than they did last year? I'd say no, at best balance on the offense comes in after all those factors I listed.

I wonder if you complained about throwing the ball 57% of the time in 2003-2004 when the team went 13-3 (and could have been 15-1 if didn't sit all the good players for the final 2 games) and made the Super Bowl. I'm guessing that's a big fat no.

Denver throwing 57% of the time this year. bad balance hurting them?

you do realize the difference between Denver's pass/run % and the Eagles run/pass % is just about 1 extra play per quarter based on the eagles number of plays per game. so are you trying to tell us that roughly 1 more pass per quarter would really make that much of a difference?
    Post edited by pjhawks on

A PJHawks wrong statement in........................

here's my wrong statement...you are not an ahole ;)

see my question above...will you answer? highly doubt it since you guys love to make statements but never answer simple questions. yes or no was the run/pass ratio a problem in 2003-2004? i'll wait for an answer...i'll be waiting for a while I suspect

has Denver throwing 57% of the time hurt them this year?
    pjhawks wrote:

is that playing a bigger role than health, top rated QB, a shitty schedule, and defense playing 100x better than expected or than they did last year? I'd say no, at best balance on the offense comes in after all those factors I listed.

I wonder if you complained about throwing the ball 57% of the time in 2003-2004 when the team went 13-3 (and could have been 15-1 if didn't sit all the good players for the final 2 games) and made the Super Bowl. I'm guessing that's a big fat no.

jamming did you complain in 2003-2004 about the run/pass ratio? yes or no question.

i'm not jamming. :?
    in '03, the eagles had a 54/46 pass/run ratio. that worked because of their personnel at the time.
    in '04, the eagles had a 60/40 pass/run ratio. it bugged me a little, quite naturally, but i understood it because it fit their personnel after they acquired the best receiver int he game at the time and their qb was top 5 in the league at the time.

i've always said it depends on your personnel. i've said a bunch of times that if aaron rogers was our qb, i could totally understand dropping him back above the league average because he is a fantastic qb. the previous coach's problems started after 2004. he always just assumed he had to throw it and throw and throw it despite the kind of personnel he had, i guess because of the success they had in '04. but that philosophy was never going to work with a qb like mike vick and it ending up failing miserably and he was fired. he failed to adapt to his personnel at the time.

this team has the best running back in the league. they have a young qb on the verge of, hopefully, becoming an upper echelon qb. they lead the league in rushing. and they have perfect balance in the run/pass ratio. they've actually ran it more than they have passed. they are playing to their strengths. the balance is clearly keeping team's honest and it's opening up a lot of opportunities for young foles and it's helping him mature as a qb in this league.

the coaching is just...better now.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

jamming did you complain in 2003-2004 about the run/pass ratio? yes or no question.

in '03, the eagles had a 54/46 pass/run ratio. that worked because of their personnel at the time.
    in '04, the eagles had a 60/40 pass/run ratio. it bugged me a little, quite naturally, but i understood it because it fit their personnel after they acquired the best receiver int he game at the time and their qb was top 5 in the league at the time.

i've always said it depends on your personnel. i've said a bunch of times that if aaron rogers was our qb, i could totally understand dropping him back above the league average because he is a fantastic qb. the previous coach's problems started after 2004. he always just assumed he had to throw it and throw and throw it despite the kind of personnel he had, i guess because of the success they had in '04. but that philosophy was never going to work with a qb like mike vick and it ending up failing miserably and he was fired. he failed to adapt to his personnel at the time.

this team has the best running back in the league. they have a young qb on the verge of, hopefully, becoming an upper echelon qb. they lead the league in rushing. and they have perfect balance in the run/pass ratio. they've actually ran it more than they have passed. they are playing to their strengths. the balance is clearly keeping team's honest and it's opening up a lot of opportunities for young foles and it's helping him mature as a qb in this league.

my argument has always been that a lot of people make it too simplistic that the % is too high or too low. when talking about a difference of 50% to 57% you are talking roughly 1 offensive play per quarter per game. it's really not that big of a difference. if 4 more runs per game makes you happy good for you but don't try and make it a factor in winning and losing. it's really not that big of a difference.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    If you would like to contact The Juggler, he can be reached at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:TheJuggler@EaglesPR.com">TheJuggler@EaglesPR.com</a><!-- e -->

;)
    this is funny. reminds me of some of the posts in here from last winter.

is twitter as awful as it seems? i'm kinda glad i'm not on there.

http://southernphilly.wordpress.com/201 ... llege-boy/
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

my argument has always been that a lot of people make it too simplistic that the % is too high or too low. when talking about a difference of 50% to 57% you are talking roughly 1 offensive play per quarter per game. it's really not that big of a difference. if 4 more runs per game makes you happy good for you but don't try and make it a factor in winning and losing. it's really not that big of a difference.

it actually is a big difference. if this year doesn't hammer that home to you, nothing will. hell, it's not inconceivable to think that andy reid would have tried to throw the ball 45 times on sunday. it's about playing to your team's strengths. lesean mccoy is the best rb in the league and the best player on this team. it just makes sense to give him the ball. pretty simple.

back when andy was successful here, he did it too. the ironic thing, is the 2 years you mentioned perfectly illustrate this point. i sincerely doubt the eagles would have been nearly as successful in 03 throwing the ball 60% of the time to a receiving corps lead by james thrash, while he had that 3 headed monster of buck, bwest, and duce in the backfield. the next year he aired it out once he finally obtained a legitimate receiver for mcnabb to throw to--while, at the same time, losing duce to free agency and buck to injury. thanks for bringing that up.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    If you would like to contact The Juggler, he can be reached at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:TheJuggler@EaglesPR.com">TheJuggler@EaglesPR.com</a><!-- e -->

;)

ha....and just to verify your's is <!-- e --><a href="mailto:clifton@briancashmansassistanttothetravelingsecretary.com">clifton@briancashmansassistanttothetrav ... retary.com</a><!-- e --> ?
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

;)

ha....and just to verify your's is <!-- e --><a href="mailto:clifton@briancashmansassistanttothetravelingsecretary.com">clifton@briancashmansassistanttothetrav ... retary.com</a><!-- e --> ?

:lol::lol::lol:

Well played, goodsir.

I read that the other day. Great stuff.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330919021

excluding week 3 of this season of course :fp:

again let's have chip make a playoff game, let alone win a few 1st before declaring him a success. remember Jets fans thought Mangini was a genius after one year too.

he's done a nice job, with a lot of breaks so far. just really glad Andy left him so many good players.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    JK_Livin wrote:

I read that the other day. Great stuff.

This is fucking great. With that said, all will be determined in year 2. But to say this guy isn't intelligent and doesn't know what he's doing is what is actually unintelligent.
    pjhawks wrote:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=330919021

excluding week 3 of this season of course :fp:

again let's have chip make a playoff game, let alone win a few 1st before declaring him a success. remember Jets fans thought Mangini was a genius after one year too.

he's done a nice job, with a lot of breaks so far. just really glad Andy left him so many good players.

....yeah, you already replied to this post. so i guess you agree that the 03 and 04 seasons prove my point.

anyway, if you think andy left him so many good players, the fact that they are playing better under the new coaching staff should be a clear indication of how much better the coaching is. but half of the defense has been turned over as well--that is significant turnover for one off season. billy davis deserves more credit than he's gotten so far. coaching was awful the last couple years here.

speaking about breaks, reid still has not beaten a team with a winning record. half of his team's wins have come against backup qb's. so a lot more breaks for that team---and that is the reality of the modern day nfl, though. lot of mediocre teams and lots of injuries. the good teams take advantage of their opportunities.

go birds.
    www.myspace.com
    speaking about breaks, reid still has not beaten a team with a winning record.

really??????? last I checked the Eagles were 8-5 and the Cowboys 7-6. that's 2 teams with winning records the Chiefs have beaten. just idiotic. why do I even bother? :fp:
    pjhawks wrote:

really??????? last I checked the Eagles were 8-5 and the Cowboys 7-6. that's 2 teams with winning records the Chiefs have beaten. just idiotic. why do I even bother? :fp:

because you enjoy losing arguments to everyone? it pertains to at the time the game was played. the cowboys were 1-0. birds were 1-1. i missed the cowboys. congrats-they stink anyway. :lol:
    --

what about the other 90% of my post that you did not address. do we have common ground in these points below or are you still in denial?

-anyway, if you think andy left him so many good players, the fact that they are playing better under the new coaching staff should be a clear indication of how much better the coaching is. but half of the defense has been turned over as well--that is significant turnover for one off season. billy davis deserves more credit than he's gotten so far. coaching was awful the last couple years here.....

-andy reid and his breaks: half of his team's wins have come against backup qb's. so a lot more breaks for that team---and that is the reality of the modern day nfl, though. lot of mediocre teams and lots of injuries. the good teams take advantage of their opportunities.
    www.myspace.com
    Did Paramount pay Chip to drop the Anchorman reference?
    pjhawks, why didn't you tell us you were interested in the head coaching position at UND?

http://deadspin.com/man-applies-for-und ... 1481626884

Man Applies For UND Head Coach Job, Cites Playing Madden As Experience

My football philosophy is basically an attacking one. We're going to give AIR RAID a whole new definition. Theoretically how many times do you think a team can pass in a game? Challenge accepted. We're going 5 wide, chucking the pigskin all over the place. Never punt. Onside every time. Chip Kelly will be calling me to learn my offense. We will put on an exciting brand of football, we will pack them into the Alerus Center night in and night out, go ahead and blow the roof off the place and add about 35,000 seats to that place.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

because you enjoy losing arguments to everyone? it pertains to at the time the game was played. the cowboys were 1-0. birds were 1-1. i missed the cowboys. congrats-they stink anyway. :lol:
    --

what about the other 90% of my post that you did not address. do we have common ground in these points below or are you still in denial?

-anyway, if you think andy left him so many good players, the fact that they are playing better under the new coaching staff should be a clear indication of how much better the coaching is. but half of the defense has been turned over as well--that is significant turnover for one off season. billy davis deserves more credit than he's gotten so far. coaching was awful the last couple years here.....

-andy reid and his breaks: half of his team's wins have come against backup qb's. so a lot more breaks for that team---and that is the reality of the modern day nfl, though. lot of mediocre teams and lots of injuries. the good teams take advantage of their opportunities.

1 - you can't possibly believe this is how they calculate who has beaten teams with winnings records can you? no one looks at it in that manner. it's always referring to teams with their current record. that's just more pure idiocy on your part.

below are 3 links that prove my point. 1st is a story about the New England Patriots 2011 season going 13-3 and not beating a team with a winning record. 2nd is their results per game, 3rd is the san diego chargers results who the Pats beat in week 2 when the chargers were 1-0 but ended up 8-8 so it doesn't fucking count as having beat a team with a winning records.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... record.ece
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_New_E ... ots_season
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_San_D ... ers_season

google.com - try it, it's kind of neat and not really hard to do

2 - 90% of the best players on this team are guys that were left here. Other than Barwin is there another guy Chip brought in that is one of the 10 best players on this team? since you had a hard time understanding %s yesterday that means the other 9 are Reid's guys.

3 - so Chip gets credit for 8-5 (from a 4 win team) but Andy gets no credit for 10-3 (from a 2 win team)? fucking brilliant logic there. and I guess week 3 was one of those weeks that you were just looking for 'progress' and winning and losing didn't matter. fucking eagles fans :fp:

seriously :roll:
    1- that's what i was looking at. fair point, though. still, half their wins have come against backup qb's and they have had the benefit of the weakest schedule in the entire league. so when talking about breaks, my point remains exactly the same: the chiefs have gotten more of them than the eagles have. reid also inherited a team that had 8 pro bowlers last year.

2- half of the defense has been turned over. h-a-l-f. half of the entire defense has been turned over. what do you not understand about this? half of the entire defense has been turned over in only one off season. that is significant turnover, especially considering they installed an entirely new scheme. on offense, it's mostly the same save for a few key players in ertz and johnson. like i have been saying for months, this is the same situation as when reid took over only, reversed. back then the defense remained mostly the same and carried reid through his successful early years here.....barwin, logan, johnson, and ertz are all playing vital roles in this team's success. earl wolf was having a very strong year as well before his injury. this is year number 1. you might think coaches normally are able to turnover entire rosters in one off season but that is not the case. the players the eagles have drafted and brought in are playing well, and the players that are left over are playing better. this is just a much better run organization from top to bottom than it was compared to the last few years under andy reid.

3- of course reid gets credit. the difference here is chip didn't destroy another franchise before coming here. reid destroyed this team over the last few years. when talking about breaks, i said the good teams take advantage of them---guess this flew right over your head, but this implies the chiefs are also a good team.

i don't understand what is so hard for you to understand here. the coaching is just better. they are playing to the team's strengths like the eagles did way back in in 2003 and 2004, like you mentioned. kelly has done a great job so far.
    www.myspace.com
    Dude, why do you even bother arguing with this dipshit?

The most ironic part is his "fucking eagles fans" comment - when the irony is he doesn't even realize how much he encompasses this statement, especially emphasizing the eye roll. Haha, it's almost comical - no, more than just comical.
    Dude, why do you even bother arguing with this dipshit?

The most ironic part is his "fucking eagles fans" comment - when the irony is he doesn't even realize how much he encompasses this statement, especially emphasizing the eye roll. Haha, it's almost comical - no, more than just comical.

yeah, i honestly do not know, maybe i feel like maybe...just maybe, i can educate him in the slightest possible way. should have given up that hope years ago.

by the way, am i the only one who finds these michael bolton honda commercials ridiculously funny?
    www.myspace.com
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Sorry, had to be done! :lol:

nfl_a_elimanning_cmg_600_300x200.jpg

I'm a little disappointed this didn't any responses.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer