Guns.

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,341
    nicknyr15 said:
    Another white gun nut...
    Just a nut.  They come in all shapes and sizes.
    One side is only interested when they’re white, the other only interested when they’re anything but white. So sad. And I’m not singling out Gern. It’s media coverage in general. Fox won’t go on and on if it’s a white male but will if they’re trans or a minority. It’s all score keeping and finger pointing and it’s fucking gross. People obsessing about what party a fucking 20 year old kid was registered as after he attempted to assassinate a presidential candidate and murdered an innocent attendee,…. yea that’s so important. And it’d be the same if not worse if the attempt was on Biden. Both sides supporters are so far gone… we’re doomed as a WHOLE… social media constantly drenches us with hate filled political talk 24/7. Sorry for the rant I’m just disgusted by everyone. 
    I'm not ONLY interested that they are mostly white. But they are mostly white. One side doesn't like to admit that.
    Like I said, I wasn’t directing that at you. 
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,275
    nicknyr15 said:
    Another white gun nut...
    One side is only interested when they’re white, the other only interested when they’re anything but white. So sad. And I’m not singling out Gern. It’s media coverage in general. Fox won’t go on and on if it’s a white male but will if they’re trans or a minority. It’s all score keeping and finger pointing and it’s fucking gross. People obsessing about what party a fucking 20 year old kid was registered as after he attempted to assassinate a presidential candidate and murdered an innocent attendee,…. yea that’s so important. And it’d be the same if not worse if the attempt was on Biden. Both sides supporters are so far gone… we’re doomed as a WHOLE… social media constantly drenches us with hate filled political talk 24/7. Sorry for the rant I’m just disgusted by everyone. 
    I'm not ONLY interested that they are mostly white. But they are mostly white. One side doesn't like to admit that.
    Question, Gern. Are you referring to gun violence as a whole, or specifically just the gun violence that makes up around 1-3% of the problem (active shooter & AR incidents)? I would define a “gun nut” as ANYONE who uses their gun(s) to target other humans, but I also choose not to follow either political narrative when it comes to the big picture on most issues. Cherry picked data just doesn’t do it for me. The logical approach would be to focus on more than a fraction of the issue, something neither side seems to comprehend, or truly care about. But I'm sure you already know, it's not about a meaningful approach to change, it's about securing votes by any means necessary.

The right’s approach seems to be

While the left’s seems to be
    Neither seem to be honest, or effective.
  • seanwonseanwon Posts: 447
    FiveBelow said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Another white gun nut...
    Question, Gern. Are you referring to gun violence as a whole, or specifically just the gun violence that makes up around 1-3% of the problem (active shooter & AR incidents)? I would define a “gun nut” as ANYONE who uses their gun(s) to target other humans, but I also choose not to follow either political narrative when it comes to the big picture on most issues. Cherry picked data just doesn’t do it for me. The logical approach would be to focus on more than a fraction of the issue, something neither side seems to comprehend, or truly care about. But I'm sure you already know, it's not about a meaningful approach to change, it's about securing votes by any means necessary.

The right’s approach seems to be

While the left’s seems to be
    Neither seem to be honest, or effective.
    Ding ding ding.   Last I checked, African Americans comprise 13% of the population, but are responsible for over 50% of homicides and gun violence, and that link shows memory serves me right.  It must be exhausting suffering from white guilt.  Happy I'm not.  As a staunch Liberal most of my life, it's hard to say I'm barely leaning left anymore. Still hanging on though.  Extreme lefties are every bit the problem extreme righties are. Shame they don't see it.
    1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
    2024: 9/3 MSG 1, 9/4 MSG 2 , 9/15 Fenway 1, 9/17 Fenway 2
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703
    I am referring to serial killers and mass shooters
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,786
    *sigh*  Why did I have to go and start this thread?

Rolling My Eyes At Myself GIFs - Find  Share on GIPHY

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

This thread is pretty cordial at the moment compared to others.. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,703
    brianlux said:

dude...you regret every thread you start
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    Yep.  Black people shoot their own. However, there are not that many black serial and mass killers.  
    Yep.  Black people shoot their own. However, there are not that many black serial and mass killers.  
    Point remains that both are equally awful imo. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    Oh I’m not arguing that it’s all horrific, it’s just a pretty bizarre fact/stat that blacks just don’t harm whites like whites think they do. 
    brianlux said:

dude...you regret every thread you start

That's "dood" to you, buddy.  :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:

This thread is pretty cordial at the moment compared to others.. 

Yeah, this place lately... sheesh! 
    Time to go get my head adjusted.   
    WAIT!  I mean my spine.  It's chiropractor time!

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,214
    nicknyr15 said:
    Oh I’m not arguing that it’s all horrific, it’s just a pretty bizarre fact/stat that blacks just don’t harm whites like whites think they do. 
    I recall a few but not many.  There was the guy in cali and the DC one.
    Anyone else on here know the saying “it’s silly season”? 
    That was always our excuse for people acting like fools before elections. 
    brianlux said:

Because it's an important topic, as I know you'd agree with. One that could use more thought than the regurgitated narratives coming from those pandering for votes. If we truly want to see meaningful change, we must first recognize the current attempt’s ineffectiveness.
    Thanks for clarifying. This was my assumption, but one can never be too sure in written communication. I am not a proponent of identity politics, but am curious as to why the left leans so heavy on it in this instance when the data could not be more misleading/counterproductive to the overall picture.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,281
    nicknyr15 said:
    This topic comes up a few times a year. I have no idea why, the data is very cut and dry. But the same ones will ignore the data and argue anyway. 

Mass shooters are not disproportionately white compared to population.
    The data varies because the definition of a mass shooter can vary. But it’s typically between about 35-55% are white. And yes, whites are usually the largest single group of mass shooters. But may have noticed, the majority of the country is also white, so this doesn’t mean it’s a “white” problem.
    Here’s one example:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/mass-shootings/shooters/

Most shooters and accused shooters are either White (38 percent) or Black (29 percent), followed by Hispanic/Latino (14 percent), ”

And it’s true most crime is between like races. But, when it is not, black on white homicide is about double that compared to white on black. And white-white is roughly equal to black-black, despite the large difference in population.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-3.xls

I’ve said before, I think race plays almost no role in crime. It’s social economics, family status, etc among other factors that don’t effect races equally that have an impact on crime.

mace1229 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    This topic comes up a few times a year. I have no idea why, the data is very cut and dry. But the same ones will ignore the data and argue anyway. 

The data varies because the definition of a mass shooter can vary. But it’s typically between about 35-55% are white. And yes, whites are usually the largest single group of mass shooters. But may have noticed, the majority of the country is also white, so this doesn’t mean it’s a “white” problem.
    Here’s one example:

“Most shooters and accused shooters are either White (38 percent) or Black (29 percent), followed by Hispanic/Latino (14 percent), ”

And it’s true most crime is between like races. But, when it is not, black on white homicide is about double that compared to white on black. And white-white is roughly equal to black-black, despite the large difference in population.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-3.xls

I’ve said before, I think race plays almost no role in crime. It’s social economics, family status, etc among other factors that don’t affec races equally that have an impact on crime.

Why are you posting stats from 2016? 
    It’s so strange how people agree when it suits them and disagree when it doesn’t.  So the 2016 stats are from the FBI but I thought the FBI was corrupt?  So the FBI wasn’t corrupt in 2016 under Obama and Biden?   I’m so confused (not really). Maybe we need to post the most recent stats for everyone so we can get to the bottom of it instead of just posting when it fits our narrative.  

And hey, let’s stop blaming the blacks for their lack of population in our country.  They didn’t bring themselves here like the Indians (who by the way were eliminated by the whites).   And their birth rates aren’t as high because, well quite simply we just don’t give a crap do we?  And maybe if the KKK wouldn’t have swung them from the trees and burned and eliminated black wall street their numbers would equal ours.  I know I won’t see it but the day when there are no more “pure white” people can’t come soon enough.  

nicknyr15 said:
    Not an attack, just another example of how political influence travels. The same could be said for the thought that white americans harm (tricky use of words) black americans at a disproportionate level. Identity politics are the driving force, imo. Most people are not a threat to anyone, but for some reason stirring the pot, placing everyone into their own special category, and creating a false sense of reality seems to be the remedy we've settled on.

The per-capita offending rate for African-Americans was roughly eight times higher than that of whites, and their victim rate was similar. About half of homicides are known to be single-offender/single-victim, and most of those were intraracial; in those where the perpetrator's and victim's races were known, 81% of white victims were killed by whites and 91% of black or African-American victims were killed by blacks or African-Americans.[51][52]
    FiveBelow said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Not an attack, just another example of how political influence travels. The same could be said for the thought that white americans harm (tricky use of words) black americans at a disproportionate level. Identity politics are the driving force, imo. Most people are not a threat to anyone, but for some reason stirring the pot, placing everyone into their own special category, and creating a false sense of reality seems to be the remedy we've settled on.

The per-capita offending rate for African-Americans was roughly eight times higher than that of whites, and their victim rate was similar. About half of homicides are known to be single-offender/single-victim, and most of those were intraracial; in those where the perpetrator's and victim's races were known, 81% of white victims were killed by whites and 91% of black or African-American victims were killed by blacks or African-Americans.[51][52]
    Read my post two up.  The whites are the reason blacks can’t get ahead.  The whites brought Africans here and used them as slaves.  Again, the whites did this.  The whites burned black Wall Street, etc, etc, etc. 
    sorry, the per-capita excuse doesn’t fit my narrative .  
    mace1229 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Here’s one example:

Most shooters and accused shooters are either White (38 percent) or Black (29 percent), followed by Hispanic/Latino (14 percent), ”

I’ve said before, I think race plays almost no role in crime. It’s social economics, family status, etc among other factors that don’t effect races equally that have an impact on crime.

Not sure how anyone could disagree with the bolded.
    FiveBelow said:
    mace1229 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Here’s one example:

“Most shooters and accused shooters are either White (38 percent) or Black (29 percent), followed by Hispanic/Latino (14 percent), ”

Not sure how anyone could disagree with the bolded.
    Don’t disagree.  White america has ruined the chance for black Americans to get ahead so of course it’s all those things.  
    mace1229 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Here’s one example:

I’ve said before, I think race plays almost no role in crime. It’s social economics, family status, etc among other factors that don’t affec races equally that have an impact on crime.

Why are you posting stats from 2016? 
    Have mass shooting stats changed that much? I used that one because it had the most data points. Some newer ones had a narrower definition of mass shooting and much smaller selection. But either way, the end result is the same. 
    edited July 15
    It’s so strange how people agree when it suits them and disagree when it doesn’t.  So the 2016 stats are from the FBI but I thought the FBI was corrupt?  So the FBI wasn’t corrupt in 2016 under Obama and Biden?   I’m so confused (not really). Maybe we need to post the most recent stats for everyone so we can get to the bottom of it instead of just posting when it fits our narrative.  

And hey, let’s stop blaming the blacks for their lack of population in our country.  They didn’t bring themselves here like the Indians (who by the way were eliminated by the whites).   And their birth rates aren’t as high because, well quite simply we just don’t give a crap do we?  And maybe if the KKK wouldn’t have swung them from the trees and burned and eliminated black wall street their numbers would equal ours.  I know I won’t see it but the day when there are no more “pure white” people can’t come soon enough.  

I don’t recall ever saying the FBI was corrupt. I used that 2016 data because I thought FBI would be more trusted data here and they used more data points than others. I’ve yet to see an extensive research on mass shootings that puts whites at a significantly higher percentage rate than the population they make up. But yet we always hear “another white shooter…”

And no one is blaming blacks for their lack of population.
    But when citing data, it is relevant to compare their population to the crime. I mean, I bet 99.9% of crime is China is by Asians. So are we to assume the Asians in China are just really bad, or just understand there isn’t much diversity there?
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    mace1229 said:

I don’t recall ever saying the FBI was corrupt. I used that 2016 days because I thought FBI would be more trusted data here and they used more data points. I’ve yet to see an extensive research on mass shootings that puts whites at a significantly higher percentage rate than the population they make up. But yet we always hear “another white shooter…”

But when citing data, it is relevant to compare their population to the crime. I mean, I bet 99.9% of crime is China is by Asians. So are we to assume the Asians in China are just really bad, or just understand there isn’t much diversity there?
    If I wanted that to pertain only to you I would have grabbed your comment and answered it as such.  But I didn’t did I?  I am posting a comment related to the thread.  Unfortunately you weren’t the only one giving me the per-capita explanation now were you?  And where did I say YOU said the FBI is corrupt?  I didn’t, but many others have blamed the FBI for basically everything.  

Mace, I didn’t direct that to you and I don’t appreciate you giving me such bullshit all the time.  Sometimes I think you don’t read the entire post.  Now if you would kindly answer all my questions I would appreciate it.  Maybe other posts were directed at you but not this one.  Just fucking block me rather than ALWAYS jumping on my ass.  I’m done apologizing.  I did nothing wrong this time.  
    mace1229 said:

I don’t recall ever saying the FBI was corrupt. I used that 2016 data because I thought FBI would be more trusted data here and they used more data points than others. I’ve yet to see an extensive research on mass shootings that puts whites at a significantly higher percentage rate than the population they make up. But yet we always hear “another white shooter…”

Which peoples land did they take and which nationality was made their slaves (Asians in China)?  
    mace1229 said:

I don’t recall ever saying the FBI was corrupt. I used that 2016 days because I thought FBI would be more trusted data here and they used more data points. I’ve yet to see an extensive research on mass shootings that puts whites at a significantly higher percentage rate than the population they make up. But yet we always hear “another white shooter…”

If I wanted that to pertain only to you I would have grabbed your comment and answered it as such.  But I didn’t did I?  I am posting a comment related to the thread.  Unfortunately you weren’t the only one giving me the per-capita explanation now were you?  And where did I say YOU said the FBI is corrupt?  I didn’t, but many others have blamed the FBI for basically everything.  

Mace, I didn’t direct that to you and I don’t appreciate you giving me such bullshit all the time.  Sometimes I think you don’t read the entire post.  Now if you would kindly answer all my questions I would appreciate it.  Maybe other posts were directed at you but not this one.  Just fucking block me rather than ALWAYS jumping on my ass.  I’m done apologizing.  I did nothing wrong this time.  
    I don’t have time to respond to all your questions right now, waiting on dinner.

But I will say you are correct in that you have not done anything wrong. I was trying to add to the conversation as well, and if you thought I was attacking you then you must have interpreted a tone that wasn’t meant to be there. So no need to apologize.

You are also correct that I am sometimes guilty of not reading the entire post. At first anyway. I sometimes respond to part, then finish reason. You can see that when I have multiple replies in a row like I just did. thats just because I’ll forget what I want to say if I keep reading, but I always try to go back and finish.

I thought my bringing up the FBI in a reply to my you were implying that’s what I’ve said. But I get it, I’ve replied to multiple people/posts in  a single reply before. But even then I generally don’t think you are attacking me, so I’m not trying to attack back. We've had differences before, but for the most part I don’t think that’s the case and consider part of a discussion.
    Its easy to see you are passionate about what you believe and that’s easy to admire, even if I disagree. 
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I don’t have time to respond to all your questions right now, waiting on dinner.

But I will say you are correct in that you have not done anything wrong. I was trying to add to the conversation as well, and if you thought I was attacking you then you must have interpreted a tone that wasn’t meant to be there. So no need to apologize.

You are also correct that I am sometimes guilty of not reading the entire post. At first anyway. I sometimes respond to part, then finish reason. You can see that when I have multiple replies in a row like I just did. thats just because I’ll forget what I want to say if I keep reading, but I always try to go back and finish.

I thought my bringing up the FBI in a reply to my you were implying that’s what I’ve said. But I get it, I’ve replied to multiple people/posts in  a single reply before. But even then I generally don’t think you are attacking me, so I’m not trying to attack back. We've had differences before, but for the most part I don’t think that’s the case and consider part of a discussion.
    It’s easy to see you are passionate about what you believe and that’s easy to admire, even if I disagree. 
    No need to answer them.  Your explanation was more than satisfactory so we can move forward.  I’m passionate and you’re persistent.  And I mean damn persistent!  😂 an admirable trait as well.  Enjoy dinner and your evening.  I’m done and exhausted.  
    edited July 16
    FiveBelow said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Read my post two up.  The whites are the reason blacks can’t get ahead.  The whites brought Africans here and used them as slaves.  Again, the whites did this.  The whites burned black Wall Street, etc, etc, etc. 

I didn’t highlight the per capita data, I highlighted the intraracial homicide percentages. Making the point that both black and white americans seem to have a skewed perception of the danger one poses to the other.

Post edited by FiveBelow on
    FiveBelow said:
    FiveBelow said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I didn’t highlight the per capita data, I highlighted the intraracial homicide percentages. Making the point that both black and white americans seem to have a skewed perception of the danger one poses to the other.

My apologies.  I should have re-read it.  And yes you’re absolutely correct about the skewed perception.