Options

Why own a gun?

123457»

Comments

• Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    pandora wrote:
    You're right - it's all speculation. It's so hard to fathom that a sane person would does this that we want to believe he's insane to make sense of it. I just really really fear of the stigma this can create for Aspergers. The ways people on the spectrum relate normally would look like decompensation of mental health for neurotypicals (social withdrawal, fixation on one thing), but it's not for these folks. And there is no connection between asperger's and this kind of violence. It would be like mentioning the shooter had diabetes. I really worry about so much misinformation being spread. It's very harmful

Poor Zoso being felt up all over the place :shock: :lol:
    You said that about James Holmes too when we debated his mental illness.
    I guess you don't have to now though...speculate on him.

In my logical opinion it is a combination unique to the shooter ...
    mental illness and basic inherent traits, experiences and interwoven relationships,
    failures of those who should have helped him, a culture of gun glory and
    obsessive gun play. His mother's personality playing a huge part. His fathers
    leaving him. He suffered classic betrayal from his world.
    Asperger's has no more connection then other illnesses
    is what I heard an expert report. But coupled with his other mental illness , his life,
    his influences, his isolation and growing frustration, together it made what we got.

so you agree finally that the only difference in america is the gun glory and gun culture. ok now we're getting some place... but it has taken about 15 pages worth of posts.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    dignin wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Oh great a defeatist...
    welcome to what the mentally ill face everyday ...they are disposable trash. The less than.
    Sorry I think this boy could have been helped ... silly me.

No, no. Silly me thinking I could have a reasonable debate with you without you trying to make it personal. This is not about me or you.

I deal with mental illness everyday with a Brother who is bi-polar. I have a great deal of experience with the mentally ill. Do you? Forget about it, don't bother answering. I don't really care.

You have a fine track record. I will no longer bother trying.

Pandora 101... make mostly baseless assumptions, when asked to back them up, she argues against strawmen and makes herself the victim.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    One of my old friends broke into his ex-girlfriends house yesterday and apparantly shot the place up with two handguns. Thank God no one was home at the time.

He surrendered to police when the arrived. He was covered with blood from when he broke the door glass to gain entry. Apparantly their was a trail of blood as he searched around the house looking for her.

:?

I used to hang out with him a lot, but he has been in a steady systematic decline in alcoholism for the last 3 years to the point that most of his friend abandoned him and his destructive ways.

Looks like it will be another 10 - 15 years before I see him again.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Zoso wrote:
    troubled kids everywhere aren't shooting up schools on a global size... please answer why American mentally ill are more prone to picking up a gun and shooting people? The mentally ill boy in Belgium or Japan haven't got access to a gun if they want to inflict pain... for the 15 time.
    Do you read my posts? Of course this is unique to the US for more reasons than one.
    We have covered this but it changes nothing. We are speaking of the US.

And pages back I said...
    pandora wrote:
    this is my agenda... mental health care and awareness...
    gunbanners can continue with theirs... together perhaps change can come

I noticed no one quoted that and said yes, indeed ...

I'm even on board with state level regulations :? But I realize you are an extremist..
    yes? ...
    a gunbanner that we can not agree on. So we just must agree to disagree.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    One of my old friends broke into his ex-girlfriends house yesterday and apparantly shot the place up with two handguns. Thank God no one was home at the time.

He surrendered to police when the arrived. He was covered with blood from when he broke the door glass to gain entry. Apparantly their was a trail of blood as he searched around the house looking for her.

I used to hang out with him a lot, but he has been in a steady systematic decline in alcoholism for the last 3 years to the point that most of his friend abandoned him and his destructive ways.

Oh I'm sorry... lots of people drink to excess because they are undiagnosed bi polar
    or in a deep depression. Our prisons full of the mentally ill.
  • Options
    MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    Jason P wrote:

Holy shit.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Jason P wrote:

Holy hell.
  • Options
    Police arrived to the scene around noon. It didn't mention in the news if he was drunk, but I'd say its a safe bet his BAC was over .25
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Jason P wrote:

Scary story, sorry to here about your friend but glad he was the only one hurt.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    You're right - it's all speculation. It's so hard to fathom that a sane person would does this that we want to believe he's insane to make sense of it. I just really really fear of the stigma this can create for Aspergers. The ways people on the spectrum relate normally would look like decompensation of mental health for neurotypicals (social withdrawal, fixation on one thing), but it's not for these folks. And there is no connection between asperger's and this kind of violence. It would be like mentioning the shooter had diabetes. I really worry about so much misinformation being spread. It's very harmful

mental illness and basic inherent traits, experiences and interwoven relationships,
    is what I heard an expert report. But coupled with his other mental illness , his life,
    his influences, his isolation and growing frustration, together it made what we got.
    Right - and I still don't have clarification of James Holmes' diagnosis, do you? I know he saw the psychiatrist for an evaluation, and as I said then and still say now, I don't know if that's because he has a psychotic disorder, a dissociative disorder, a personality disorder, a combination, or none of the above. I haven't been privy to his assessments.

Pandora it's clear that you are unfamiliar with the nature of autism spectrum disorders and how they present. This is a good learning opportunity as you further your mental health advocacy

So we know there are angry and unstable people out there who readily access guns. What do we do about that? And back to the OP why have one, especially if a loved one is angry, suicidal or unstable?
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Cosmos post got me thinking too. Why own a gun?

I read this in an article yesterday:
    "Firearms are very unevenly distributed around the world. The image we have of certain regions such as Africa or Latin America being awash with weapons -- these images are certainly misleading," Small Arms Survey director Keith Krause said, "Weapons ownership may be correlated with rising levels of wealth, and that means we need to think about future demand in parts of the world where economic growth is giving people larger disposable income," he told a Geneva news conference.

...and it made sense to me...I have quite a few friends who have them because they're so accessible and they have money to spend. and if we didnt have so much crap -- huge TVs, Ps3s, ipads, iphones, and whatnot, we wouldnt need to defend it all...

Then there's the fact that gun sales SOARED since Obama took office...and ironically, he's done nothing in terms of gun control. Is that unfounded fear? maybe.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    pandora wrote:
    Zoso wrote:
    troubled kids everywhere aren't shooting up schools on a global size... please answer why American mentally ill are more prone to picking up a gun and shooting people? The mentally ill boy in Belgium or Japan haven't got access to a gun if they want to inflict pain... for the 15 time.
    Do you read my posts? Of course this is unique to the US for more reasons than one.
    We have covered this but it changes nothing. We are speaking of the US.

And pages back I said...
    pandora wrote:
    this is my agenda... mental health care and awareness...
    gunbanners can continue with theirs... together perhaps change can come

I noticed no one quoted that and said yes, indeed ...

I'm even on board with state level regulations :? But I realize you are an extremist..
    yes? ...
    a gunbanner that we can not agree on. So we just must agree to disagree.

I live a crazy extreme life... you should how extreme my day has been today... Politically, not really just on par with the Jon Stewart's of this world.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Scary stuff Jason P. Alcohol & guns certainly don't mix.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    dignin wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Oh great a defeatist...
    welcome to what the mentally ill face everyday ...they are disposable trash. The less than.

No, no. Silly me thinking I could have a reasonable debate with you without you trying to make it personal. This is not about me or you.

I deal with mental illness everyday with a Brother who is bi-polar. I have a great deal of experience with the mentally ill. Do you? Forget about it, don't bother answering. I don't really care.

Pandora 101... make mostly baseless assumptions, when asked to back them up, she argues against strawmen and makes herself the victim.

A tad bit sad
  • Options
    dignin wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Oh great a defeatist...

Personal insulting comments get people banned.. there's that word again
    now that ban I'm in favor of ;) most especially when one resorts to not following the guidelines
    of our dear community. Why must you break the guidelines?
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    pandora wrote:

so you agree finally that the only difference in america is the gun glory and gun culture. ok now we're getting some place... but it has taken about 15 pages worth of posts.
    Huh that is all I've been saying in every thread ...
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:

Scary, scary, scary. I'm glad his ex wasn't home and he surrendered.

• Options
    Here is the article on the guy ...

http://www.staceypageonline.com/2012/12 ... ends-home/

I used to call him The Mayor because he knew everyone in the county and had a great personality. It's sad how the alcohol took over. We intervened and got him in rehab and he made it a solid year without any problems. There were whispers in the last year that he had started boozing again.

Maybe prison is what he needs to sober up.

Very sad.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    dignin wrote:

now that ban I'm in favor of ;) most especially when one resorts to not following the guidelines
    If you hate something, don't you do it too ;)

• Options
    pandora wrote:

Right - and I still don't have clarification of James Holmes' diagnosis, do you? I know he saw the psychiatrist for an evaluation, and as I said then and still say now, I don't know if that's because he has a psychotic disorder, a dissociative disorder, a personality disorder, a combination, or none of the above. I haven't been privy to his assessments.

Pandora it's clear that you are unfamiliar with the nature of autism spectrum disorders and how they present. This is a good learning opportunity as you further your mental health advocacy

So we know there are angry and unstable people out there who readily access guns. What do we do about that? And back to the OP why have one, especially if a loved one is angry, suicidal or unstable?
    Actually I do know much about autism spectrum and see it as part of the package that
    I mentioned bringing this boy to where he was in a lifetime.
    But then I'm free to see things you are not. Maybe its a law or something.

Totally agree with your last statements. Guns are not for the mentally ill or suicidal
    but I think everyone agrees with that.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

If you hate something, don't you do it too ;)
    ditto cbg or are you free from making mistakes ;)
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Closed for Review.

No, it's just too much to clean up. The bickering is ridiculous. People need to put people they have a problem with on IGNORE. All of you, now, please. And if you can't, you may end up read-only...your choice...remember that too.

Stop commenting ON EACH OTHER.

Review complete, thread done.
    Falling down,...not staying down
This discussion has been closed.