Options

Why own a gun?

Comments

• Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    redrock wrote:

So according to the articles investigators didn't find any psychotropic meds and don't know if he had ever received a diagnosis for a mental illness. So far what I've read hasn't pointed to an illness that can be treated, but more to socialization and environmental issues.

As said before CBG.. all speculation.

People having their 15 minutes of fame by giving 'insight' to the reporters. From the plumber and the gardener, the family member who has not seen the family for years, the school friend (who didn't really know him but just saw him in the corridors) to the 'undisclosed source, the 'insider source' and the plain anonymous source. All wanting a piece of the action.

I've read reports where it was said the killer was anywhere from an OK but odd person to a complete psycho. I've read reports from a babysitter who was told not to turn her back on him - one would automatically think because he would be up to no good but no, a couple of lines will say it's because he had a physical impairment which meant he could not feel pain and therefore could get hurt very easily. I've read reports his mother was devoted to him and not the nutter some would like to portray her as. I've read that he was certainly well looked after.

One thing most seem to agree on is that he had some form of Asperger's. Reports associate his Asperger's to being a psycho to murdering children.

An insult to those suffering of Asperger Syndrome.

We just don't know. And we probably never will.

Oh... and stop feeling Zoso's sensitivity in public.

anything to distract from the4 gun culture so people can keep their guns...

I have been felt up enough the last couple of days.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    riotgrl wrote:
    Zoso wrote:
    mental illness needs to be addressed but their is no link on a world scale to mental illness and mass shootings or violence for that matter..... mental illness is a problem everywhere but mental illness/mass shootings isn't a factor anywhere else but America. So there is no link. the only difference in America to everywhere else is the access and amount of guns... that is it. I have said this 10 times. it's simple.

people all over the world suffer from mental illness but AREN'T SHOOTING UP SCHOOLS.... next distraction....

Good point. its our culture too...and the availability of guns. It really makes one wonder if its not just too late to do anything. :(

Not sure if this article was posted elsewhere so I apologize if it has.

http://www.courier-journal.com/comments/usatodayarticle/1776191

Interesting point about the root cause of gun violence in our country although other nations have high gun ownerhsip as well. A change in culture is definitely in order. Rather than focusing on the individual perhaps we should focus on increasing our collective mentality. That means a focus on community and fostering empathy for those within our community. Schools are on the right track in regards to demanding volunteer hours for their students but where some of these initiatives fail is that the focus is still on the individual. Usually students undertake these effortts in a quest to gain college admittance or schoarlships.
    Thank you for posting this. I think this has a lot to do with the problems we are seeing. There is a reason that there are much lower rates of gun violence in other countries and it has a lot to do with social values
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    pandora wrote:

You think this young man was not mentally ill after all the reports? After a look into his life
    and what others have said... or is it... it would not matter to you if he was.

I'm sure I have read on here somewhere that you said you can't trust the media. Why do you trust what they are reporting now? They have gotten so many things wrong so far, there has been so much speculation and you seem to be taking it as gospel. They have been in such a rush to scoop each other that they get things wrong. They bring on talking heads who push there own agendas and speculate more.

Take a deep breath and let the facts come out, they will. Then have a healthy debate about the facts.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:
    I feel you and your sensitivity :lol:

I'm not even sure why mental illness has become the focus when I've yet to hear if the shooter had a mental illness. So far I've heard he may have had Asperger's, which is a neurodevelopmental disorder and wouldn't explain this violence. We do know that he used a gun though, so maybe we should start with what we know for sure, rather than what is simply speculation
    Wow head in sand syndrome. Says a lot about our mental health care
    in our country.Losing....
    That is exactly the point... all the warning signs and no metal health diagnosis or treatment.
    Good going America
    !

This disease coupled with focus, obsession with guns and hours of gun play daily in a bunker type room
    along with withdrawal from human contact, human bonds and being ostrichsized in his town
    might have played a little role in why he did what he did. Maybe just maybe :fp:
    that is sarcasm. And we know from his brother and father he had other issues.

A blow out at the school the day before set if off. The kid was on the brink
    but I wonder if anyone even noticed, let alone cared. When will they?

When will mental health professionals make the demands needed to provide care to people,
    ball in their court.
    I'll ignore the personal insult. This time.

What other diagnosis and treatment should he have had Pandora? It certainly seems like the family had the financial means to seek an assessment and get treatment. Not every killer is mentally ill. Shocking I know. It's also been reported that he may have had a personality disorder, which would make a lot of sense with regard to this kind of violence, but that hasn't been confirmed. People with personality disorders blame others for their problems and always feel victimized. They often seek revenge. This is their way of relating,but there is no pill that will cure it. The hyper focus on games and social isolation is often a part of autism spectrum disorders and not necessarily a cause for concern. Some people focus on games, others its sharks or history, etc. it's part of the neurological functioning. It's very possible the shooter had a personality disorder or another diagnosis in addition to the Asperger's, but this hasn't been confirmed You seem to have more information than I do about his symptoms. We do know he used guns though and we know how he got them
    Oh please...
    Well I guess his focus mattered in this case as we see. If he had not had a gun it would be
    a car and and schoolyard of children. His pain came from exactly where he took his anger.
    isn't that the way... There where he never fit in.
    He was at a breaking point, a boil over and he did not get the help he needed to avoid this.
    Our society, our school system, our parents, our utter blind eyes to the mentally ill
    caused this tragedy.

Is James Holmes mentally ill? I think I heard yes
    hmmmm interesting and so very obvious but maybe it was only to me.
    I know it mattered not to many here, no forgiving even the mentally ill.

Sometimes the obvious is hard to see for the walls put in place.
    It is true some can not feel it and that is not funny, it's part of the problem.
    This most especially in our healthcare industry. Been there done that, most ineffectively
    and with much disappointment.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Good question.. and I thought about it alot last night. Why?
    Is it because your fear the tyranny of your Representative Government?
    Are you afraid that the Government is going to knock down your door and confiscate all of your possessions?
    Are you afraid of an invading army from a Foriegn Land... like Canada?
    How about an invading hoard of busboys... from Mexico?
    Or... are you afraid of other Americans?
    I think the latter comes into play 99% of the time. The other 1% are those crazy militia types and their looney conspiracies about black helicopters and blue helmets and contrails of doom. The truth is... we don't trust our fellow citizens.
    In case of a disaster... is the Government going to come and take away your food and water? No. Your neighbors are. Is the Government going to break into your house at night to steal your flat screen T.V? No. An American is.
    The bottom line being... we may say we don't trust the Government... which is certifiable beacuse they certainly do things that garner our weariness... but, we buy guns because, at the base of our fear, we do not trust our people and feel the need to protect ourselves from them... the Americans.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    the mental health industry is in crisis ALL over the world. This doesn't happen in France or Belgium. I need you to tell me why you think mentally ill Americans decide to shoot up school and others don't from other countries who are mentally ill?

ALL other factors are the same worldwide: violent movies, games etc...
    Post edited by Zoso on

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Are you afraid that the Government is going to knock down your door and confiscate all of your possessions?
    I think the latter comes into play 99% of the time. The other 1% are those crazy militia types and their looney conspiracies about black helicopters and blue helmets and contrails of doom. The truth is... we don't trust our fellow citizens.
    In case of a disaster... is the Government going to come and take away your food and water? No. Your neighbors are. Is the Government going to break into your house at night to steal your flat screen T.V? No. An American is.
    The bottom line being... we may say we don't trust the Government... which is certifiable beacuse they certainly do things that garner our weariness... but, we buy guns because, at the base of our fear, we do not trust our people and feel the need to protect ourselves from them... the Americans.

the stats don't lie.. as much people like to have guns for self defense.. 1 out of 50 gun deaths are people murdering in self defense/protecting themselves the other 49 are accident's, actual murders, mass muders and suicides.... this can't be explained away.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,933
    Zoso wrote:
    the mental health industry is in crisis ALL over the world. This doesn't happen in France or Belgium. I need you to tell me why you think mentally ill Americans decide to shoot up school and others don't from other countries who are mentally ill?

This is the all important question, isn't it?

Proper attention to mental illness is indeed important but I have not seen any information (yet) that in this case the issue is anything more than a smokescreen.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    dignin wrote:
    pandora wrote:

You think this young man was not mentally ill after all the reports? After a look into his life

I'm sure I have read on here somewhere that you said you can't trust the media. Why do you trust what they are reporting now? They have gotten so many things wrong so far, there has been so much speculation and you seem to be taking it as gospel. They have been in such a rush to scoop each other that they get things wrong. They bring on talking heads who push there own agendas and speculate more.

Take a deep breath and let the facts come out, they will. Then have a healthy debate about the facts.
    I said I had not heard such conflicting reports... like a twitter fest or something the hours following.
    I think they should wait for facts officials release and not give this the massive airtime they do.

These new facts are coming out days later and are released into many media venues.
    The gaming aspect was released as soon as the brother and father finished their police interviews.
    And yes this is the boy we all made and all failed.

You didn't answer my questions though ...
    do you think he was mentally ill based on the info you have and would that matter to you?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Zoso wrote:
    the stats don't lie.. as much people like to have guns for self defense.. 1 out of 50 gun deaths are people murdering in self defense/protecting themselves the other 49 are accident's, actual murders, mass muders and suicides.... this can't be explained away.
    Agree. Those are the outcomes... the results of guns in the hands of the citizenry.
    Know1 was looking for the answer to WHY people buy guns in the first place. And as you said, 'It's for protection' is probably the number one reason given. Protection, not from the tyranny of our government, but the threat of harm... from our own citizenry... our armed and dangerous citizenry.
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:

You are making too much sense.

I'm getting tired of the mental health system issue being brought up. It's a sideshow. It's a problem, but not the big problem.

The fact is most countries citizens don't have access to AR-15's
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    The 'Pandora Show' will return after this message, regarding the original topic of this thread, 'Why Own A Gun?'
    Now, back to our regularly scheduled program, 'The Garden of Babble-On' (already in progress)...

neither can the million suicides taking place ever year

this is my agenda... mental health care and awareness...
    gunbanners can continue with theirs... together perhaps change can come
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

This is the all important question, isn't it?

Proper attention to mental illness is indeed important but I have not seen any information (yet) that in this case the issue is anything more than a smokescreen.

smokescreen it is... the ONLY difference in America

mental health issues worldwide: check
    violence worldwide: check
    access to guns and a massive amount of guns worldwide: NOPE ONLY IN AMERICA... wow this kinda looks like an aha moment.

I don't know it's pretty simple.. doesn't take a scientist to work out what America has that no one else has that is the sole contributor to this crisis.. a shit load more guns and a crazy looney toon gun culture.

• Options
    dignin wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

You are making too much sense.

I'm getting tired of the mental health system issue being brought up. It's a sideshow. It's a problem, but not the big problem.

The fact is most countries citizens don't have access to AR-15's

too much sense for this fucking place that's for sure.

• Options
    redrock wrote:

So according to the articles investigators didn't find any psychotropic meds and don't know if he had ever received a diagnosis for a mental illness. So far what I've read hasn't pointed to an illness that can be treated, but more to socialization and environmental issues.

As said before CBG.. all speculation.

People having their 15 minutes of fame by giving 'insight' to the reporters. From the plumber and the gardener, the family member who has not seen the family for years, the school friend (who didn't really know him but just saw him in the corridors) to the 'undisclosed source, the 'insider source' and the plain anonymous source. All wanting a piece of the action.

I've read reports where it was said the killer was anywhere from an OK but odd person to a complete psycho. I've read reports from a babysitter who was told not to turn her back on him - one would automatically think because he would be up to no good but no, a couple of lines will say it's because he had a physical impairment which meant he could not feel pain and therefore could get hurt very easily. I've read reports his mother was devoted to him and not the nutter some would like to portray her as. I've read that he was certainly well looked after.

One thing most seem to agree on is that he had some form of Asperger's. Reports associate his Asperger's to being a psycho to murdering children.

An insult to those suffering of Asperger Syndrome.

We just don't know. And we probably never will.

Oh... and stop feeling Zoso's sensitivity in public.
    You're right - it's all speculation. It's so hard to fathom that a sane person would does this that we want to believe he's insane to make sense of it. I just really really fear of the stigma this can create for Aspergers. The ways people on the spectrum relate normally would look like decompensation of mental health for neurotypicals (social withdrawal, fixation on one thing), but it's not for these folks. And there is no connection between asperger's and this kind of violence. It would be like mentioning the shooter had diabetes. I really worry about so much misinformation being spread. It's very harmful

Poor Zoso being felt up all over the place :shock: :lol:

• Options
    Zoso wrote:
    access to guns and a massive amount of guns worldwide: NOPE ONLY IN AMERICA... wow this kinda looks like an aha moment.
    I don't know it's pretty simple.. doesn't take a scientist to work out what America has that no one else has that is the sole contributor to this crisis.. a shit load more guns and a crazy looney toon gun culture.
    As been said several times... if we don't want these things to happen in the future, we need to take substantive action to prevent the next one from occurring.
    Otherwise, we do what we've been doing and accept the results from those actions (inactions).
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    Yes I know about the difference in state laws, accepting permits between states etc.
    People find a way don't they? I'm against Federal bans.
    No, we will have to agree to disagree on what gunbanners want.
    When I see the word ban in a Federal bill I know what they want its pretty clear.

Oh good. So we are clear on what the intent of the word 'ban' might mean: safer classrooms, malls, and movie theaters.

You're coming around finally! Well done.

And just remember... even if all those really awesome guns do become banned... you can still have shotguns and rifles! A shotgun would be a great home invasion deterrent... dontcha think? Everybody wins! Yay.
    :wtf: I don't own a gun :fp: wow you have a problem with me huh?
    I think its called bugupass ;) Maybe you'd like to solve that with the ignore feature ...
    I think we would both feel better.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    dignin wrote:
    pandora wrote:

I said I had not heard such conflicting reports... like a twitter fest or something the hours following.
    I think they should wait for facts officials release and not give this the massive airtime they do.

These new facts are coming out days later and are released into many media venues.
    The gaming aspect was released as soon as the brother and father finished their police interviews.

do you think he was mentally ill based on the info you have and would that matter to you?

Obviously he was disturbed. Was he mentally ill? I don't have the expertise to know. Neither do you. Based on the things that I have read so far no one knows.

Would it it matter to me if he was ill? Not really. Whats done is done. We will always have disturbed people doing terrible things. The only thing we can really control is how much damage these people can do if they snap.

If he didn't have access to an assault weapon we can almost guarantee the death toll would have been much lower. This I do know.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    Cosmo wrote:
    The 'Pandora Show' will return after this message, regarding the original topic of this thread, 'Why Own A Gun?'
    Now, back to our regularly scheduled program, 'The Garden of Babble-On' (already in progress)...

A lot of truth here.

My brother once said something that I thought was crazy, but after thinking about it I decided it was insightful. He didn't lock his doors and he said - if they take my stuff, then they must need it more than me.

What I can't get over is that when you purchase a gun for "protection" from your fellow American, you are making a conscious decision that you would murder another human being under certain circumstances. I can't make myself come to that decision....especially to protect my stuff.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Zoso wrote:
    As been said several times... if we don't want these things to happen in the future, we need to take substantive action to prevent the next one from occurring.
    Otherwise, we do what we've been doing and accept the results from those actions (inactions).
    So wise that is ... :D
    what are your suggestions for bringing affordable readily available mental healthcare to the
    millions who need it? We can see this boy so troubled as reported.
  • Options
    dignin wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    dignin wrote:

Obviously he was disturbed. Was he mentally ill? I don't have the expertise to know. Neither do you. Based on the things that I have read so far no one knows.

Would it it matter to me if he was ill? Not really. Whats done is done. We will always have disturbed people doing terrible things. The only thing we can really control is how much damage these people can do if they snap.

If he didn't have access to an assault weapon we can almost guarantee the death toll would have been much lower. This I do know.
    Oh great a defeatist...
    welcome to what the mentally ill face everyday ...they are disposable trash. The less than.
    Sorry I think this boy could have been helped ... silly me.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    Zoso wrote:
    So wise that is ... :D
    what are your suggestions for bringing affordable readily available mental healthcare to the
    millions who need it? We can see this boy so troubled as reported.

troubled kids everywhere aren't shooting up schools on a global size... please answer why American mentally ill are more prone to picking up a gun and shooting people? The mentally ill boy in Belgium or Japan haven't got access to a gun if they want to inflict pain... for the 15 time.

• Options
    know1 wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:

A lot of truth here.

My brother once said something that I thought was crazy, but after thinking about it I decided it was insightful. He didn't lock his doors and he said - if they take my stuff, then they must need it more than me.

What I can't get over is that when you purchase a gun for "protection" from your fellow American, you are making a conscious decision that you would murder another human being under certain circumstances. I can't make myself come to that decision....especially to protect my stuff.

An easy comparison is the Cold War and nuclear weapons, building up more and more weapons. Mutually assured destruction.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    Oh please...
    Well I guess his focus mattered in this case as we see. If he had not had a gun it would be
    a car and and schoolyard of children. His pain came from exactly where he took his anger.
    He was at a breaking point, a boil over and he did not get the help he needed to avoid this.
    Our society, our school system, our parents, our utter blind eyes to the mentally ill
    caused this tragedy.

Is James Holmes mentally ill? I think I heard yes
    hmmmm interesting and so very obvious but maybe it was only to me.
    I know it mattered not to many here, no forgiving even the mentally ill.

It is true some can not feel it and that is not funny, it's part of the problem.
    This most especially in our healthcare industry. Been there done that, most ineffectively
    Did they ever release the aurora shooter's diagnosis? I know he was evaluated by the school psychiatrist, but I haven't seen any official reports as to the nature of his issue.

It's great that you want to spread awareness. Just make sure the awareness you are spreading is correct.

I agree that this is a sideshow and a distraction. Lets start with what we do know and put our focus there.

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    pandora wrote:
    Oh please...
    caused this tragedy.

"Oh please" is right. There you go again, assuming to know this man's motives. So, there's no possibility that he was suicidal and took out a bunch of people in the meantime? If his final act was to kill himself, he would NOT have done this in a car in a schoolyard as you like to imagine. There's no exit plan there for him. And anything less than a gun would have likely caused less death.

You know, he could have simply been suicidal and mad at the world, hence taking kids out with him. If he was suicidal and had to gun, he'd have to get VERY creative and/or only take himself out by hanging or jumping off a bridge. Point is, if you're going to concoct stories of what he "might have done," that can work in a thousand different ways.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    pandora wrote:

There is no obvious here. We have to remain objective until as much evidence as possible is taken and processed. Even then, the perpetrator is dead. We may never know anything, especially if he was thorough in his intentions to thwart an investigation. Its already been said he smashed his hard drive.

Im not sure if you're insinuating that CBG cannot feel the obvious...but no offense, when you claim that the murderer would've used a car if he couldnt get a gun, im not so sure your intuition is so spot on regarding a loner type, gamer, isolated 20 year old man who is suicidal. sorry, waaaay off.

But as I said before, the problem could be mental illness. It also could be the availability of guns. The last is more obvious at this point, but if we improve in both fields, we're sure to do some good.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    I can't recall any mass murders with cars before.... can anyone else? I don't know my sensitivity probably gets in the way of remembering all the mass murders with other objects then guns...

• Options
    pandora wrote:

Oh great a defeatist...
    welcome to what the mentally ill face everyday ...they are disposable trash. The less than.

No, no. Silly me thinking I could have a reasonable debate with you without you trying to make it personal. This is not about me or you.

I deal with mental illness everyday with a Brother who is bi-polar. I have a great deal of experience with the mentally ill. Do you? Forget about it, don't bother answering. I don't really care.

You have a fine track record. I will no longer bother trying.
  • Options
    You're right - it's all speculation. It's so hard to fathom that a sane person would does this that we want to believe he's insane to make sense of it. I just really really fear of the stigma this can create for Aspergers. The ways people on the spectrum relate normally would look like decompensation of mental health for neurotypicals (social withdrawal, fixation on one thing), but it's not for these folks. And there is no connection between asperger's and this kind of violence. It would be like mentioning the shooter had diabetes. I really worry about so much misinformation being spread. It's very harmful

Poor Zoso being felt up all over the place :shock: :lol:
    You said that about James Holmes too when we debated his mental illness.
    I guess you don't have to now though...speculate on him.

In my logical opinion it is a combination unique to the shooter ...
    mental illness and basic inherent traits, experiences and interwoven relationships,
    failures of those who should have helped him, a culture of gun glory and
    obsessive gun play. His mother's personality playing a huge part. His fathers
    leaving him. He suffered classic betrayal from his world.
    Asperger's has no more connection then other illnesses
    is what I heard an expert report. But coupled with his other mental illness , his life,
    his influences, his isolation and growing frustration, together it made what we got.
  • Options
    dignin wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Oh great a defeatist...

No, no. Silly me thinking I could have a reasonable debate with you without you trying to make it personal. This is not about me or you.

I deal with mental illness everyday with a Brother who is bi-polar. I have a great deal of experience with the mentally ill. Do you? Forget about it, don't bother answering. I don't really care.

You have a fine track record. I will no longer bother trying.
    yes we share similar experiences
    I hope your brother is in good care. Makes all the difference.
This discussion has been closed.