Options

Why own a gun?

Comments

• Options
    know1 wrote:
    I own a 9mm. Its in a "hand scanning" safe next to my bed............

I've posted in other threads and no one cares to comment on my situation. I bought it for protection. We had multiple death threats made to my children. Terrorizing signs placed in our neighborhood. Harassing phone calls. We called the police and they did nothing. I mean absolutely NOTHING. They said they could do nothing when it was just a threat. After the last one, the detective wouldn't even call us back.

So yes, if the person responsible for these threats decides someday to take it to the next level and enter my house......I will MURDER him or her.

End of story why I own a gun.

Thanks for the honesty. That is exactly my point. The purpose of guns outside of hunting or target shooting is murder. It's not protection.

Honesty is what you asked for. I will protect my family.......by killing the threat.
  • Options
    Why own a gun????

Up here we're just waiting for that A-typical Yank to get on the tube and tell us that "if those kids would have been armed this wouldn't have happened"...."if the teachers had guns, this wouldn't have happened"......same typical answers to a very easy question. Your news is filled with people getting into a heated arguement and using a gun.....got laid off, hey shoot the place up...... got dissed in school, hey just shoot the guy.....to keep up with the latest buzz word, get bullied, hey steal your parents gun and make em pay.

but aside from hunting and as a number one export I can't imagine why you'd want one.

Sad state of affairs!

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    I own a 9mm. Its in a "hand scanning" safe next to my bed............

I've posted in other threads and no one cares to comment on my situation. I bought it for protection. We had multiple death threats made to my children. Terrorizing signs placed in our neighborhood. Harassing phone calls. We called the police and they did nothing. I mean absolutely NOTHING. They said they could do nothing when it was just a threat. After the last one, the detective wouldn't even call us back.

So yes, if the person responsible for these threats decides someday to take it to the next level and enter my house......I will MURDER him or her.

End of story why I own a gun.

What is the reason for the harrasment?
    I also find it very hard to believe that any law enforcement agency worth it's salt would take a death threat
    as anything but serious and do "nothing" about it.

The reason for the harassment is not the issue. Threats were made, Police stopped by my house, listened to the voicemails, DIDN"T EVEN TAKE FINGERPRINTS FROM THE SIGN that was left outside. Told us to contact them if anything else happened......something else happened, detective didn't call us back.......

the reason for the harrassment is the basis of the issue which in turn makes it the issue.
    Perhaps the police are of the same opinion.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I've posted this here before too. I got a shotgun after the LA riots - my husband was out of town a lot and I had a young child. I asked a cop friend and he said he would never, ever suggest getting a hand gun. But he said a shotgun would be okay if I learned how to use it, had a trigger lock, and kept it in a safe place. He said the sound of cocking a shotgun should be enough to deter someone from trying to break into my house.

I've never had to use it, thank God. It's hidden in the back of the closet with its lock in place, the key is hidden somewhere else, it's not loaded and the shells are hidden in yet another place. It would probably take me an hour to get it loaded and ready to shoot.

But yes, I have a gun.
  • Options
    yous guys are just gonna leave gimme hangin? i got you covered bud......why own a gun? because i can biatches!!!

some people will say "because i can"...
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    What is the reason for the harrasment?
    I also find it very hard to believe that any law enforcement agency worth it's salt would take a death threat
    as anything but serious and do "nothing" about it.[/quote]

The reason for the harassment is not the issue. Threats were made, Police stopped by my house, listened to the voicemails, DIDN"T EVEN TAKE FINGERPRINTS FROM THE SIGN that was left outside. Told us to contact them if anything else happened......something else happened, detective didn't call us back.......[/quote]

the reason for the harrassment is the basis of the issue which in turn makes it the issue.
    Perhaps the police are of the same opinion.[/quote]

The Police are fully aware of the reason.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341

And there are other common sense things. My dad locked up ammo, guns, and bolts/magazines in different places. I remember as a kid, I found the key to the guns once, but never the other two things.

So your dad was storing his firearms responsibly - as they should be if one really must have them in the house. Should he have wanted to use these for 'protection', should there have been someone coming up the stairs towards the bedrooms at night, would he have had time to get the keys to all three places, gone to all three of these places, retrieved guns, ammo, bolts/magazines, put everything together and 'protect'? All this without 'giving it away' to the intruder? Even if someone wasn't coming up the stairs yet but was just in the living room...

See... this is the bit I have problems with. Either guns are stored safely (as your dad did) and any pro-gun person here would say a RESPONSIBLE gun owner would do and most gun owners are responsible. Then this responsible gun owner seems to be a bit stuffed if surprised by an intruder. Or... the guns are not stored safely, they are stored loaded, ready to fire, easily accessible, which, as it has been said numerous times here, is what an IRRESPONSIBLE gun owner would do. But we are constantly reminded that these gun owners are RESPONSIBLE. So which is it?

Just curious.
    Not wanting to cause
  • Options
    Never touched a gun.. Never going to...
    My good friend alowed my kids to use his guns while teaching his kids ...

No longer my friend.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Zoso wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

OK, if you really think arming yourself with a fatal weapon is the same as putting a lock on your front door...

It is hardly the same level of "fear". You do realize there are many different levels of different emotions, right? Putting a lock on the door to keep people out is one thing. Buying something that your purpose is to end someone's life is a different one.

SO now we need to assess levels of fear? We are supposed to tell Americans what they are allowed to legally possess to make them feels safe? Try telling that to this woman. For the record the guy who came into her home didn't have a gun.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/0 ... 83871.html

The stats conclude that more likely a gun owner will hurt themselves or family more likely then stop and intruder

Kind of like people who abuse prescription meds...however that thread was locked. 112 people a day killed by that...but lets concentrate on guns. :?
  • Options
    fisherman wrote:
    Thousands of kids die from guns each year and I don't want my daughter accidentally getting hurt.

False.

1000's die from illegal gun violence.
  • Options
    dignin wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

OK, if you really think arming yourself with a fatal weapon is the same as putting a lock on your front door...

It is hardly the same level of "fear". You do realize there are many different levels of different emotions, right? Putting a lock on the door to keep people out is one thing. Buying something that your purpose is to end someone's life is a different one.

SO now we need to assess levels of fear? We are supposed to tell Americans what they are allowed to legally possess to make them feels safe? Try telling that to this woman. For the record the guy who came into her home didn't have a gun.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/0 ... 83871.html

Still waiting for that story where granny defended herself against an intruder with her AR-15.

She probably has one now.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    Enkidu wrote:
    I've posted this here before too. I got a shotgun after the LA riots - my husband was out of town a lot and I had a young child. I asked a cop friend and he said he would never, ever suggest getting a hand gun. But he said a shotgun would be okay if I learned how to use it, had a trigger lock, and kept it in a safe place. He said the sound of cocking a shotgun should be enough to deter someone from trying to break into my house.

I've never had to use it, thank God. It's hidden in the back of the closet with its lock in place, the key is hidden somewhere else, it's not loaded and the shells are hidden in yet another place. It would probably take me an hour to get it loaded and ready to shoot.

But yes, I have a gun.

And you would be willing to use it to kill someone?
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

Ill not ask the reason,seems personal to ask u and isnt my business
    i respect the fact u want to protect your family..
    but i was thinking this...what if at your sleep one night,u wake up suddenly from a noise
    and scared that is the bad guys ,get the gun and start shooting...
    but,,isnt the bad guys..but someone from your famiy..
    as you understand ..there is no turning back from this...
    my point is..in the fear and need of protect your family..you bought something that may cause alot of pain to your family as well.....
    i wish ofcourse,u never need to use it..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    Kind of like people who abuse prescription meds...however that thread was locked. 112 people a day killed by that...but lets concentrate on guns. :?

I don't get the arguments i'm seeing from people comparing other types of deaths like overdoses, cigarette smoking, etc. to gun murder. It just makes no sense.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126
    DS1119 wrote:

Don't be so obtuse or simple minded. How many of those 112 people killed each day are caused by someone else pushing that pill in their mouth? How many times is it because someone does this to dozens of people back-to-back-to-back, etc at the local school, mall, church, whatever?????

It's a ridiculous argument. But that's all your left with.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

And there are other common sense things. My dad locked up ammo, guns, and bolts/magazines in different places. I remember as a kid, I found the key to the guns once, but never the other two things.

So your dad was storing his firearms responsibly - as they should be if one really must have them in the house. Should he have wanted to use these for 'protection', should there have been someone coming up the stairs towards the bedrooms at night, would he have had time to get the keys to all three places, gone to all three of these places, retrieved guns, ammo, bolts/magazines, put everything together and 'protect'? All this without 'giving it away' to the intruder? Even if someone wasn't coming up the stairs yet but was just in the living room...

See... this is the bit I have problems with. Either guns are stored safely (as your dad did) and any pro-gun person here would say a RESPONSIBLE gun owner would do and most gun owners are responsible. Then this responsible gun owner seems to be a bit stuffed if surprised by an intruder. Or... the guns are not stored safely, they are stored loaded, ready to fire, easily accessible, which, as it has been said numerous times here, is what an IRRESPONSIBLE gun owner would do. But we are constantly reminded that these gun owners are RESPONSIBLE. So which is it?

Just curious.
    Not wanting to cause

I think kids in the house /access of others dictates it a bit. If you have kids, or have a lot of people with access to your house, it is nearly impossible to have a gun accessible AND stored safely. The recent availability of things like biometric safes can help a bit though.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

Just curious.
    Not wanting to cause

Great point.

• Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    ....t is nearly impossible to have a gun accessible AND stored safely. ...
    Exactly. Sort of debunks the 'protection' theory and responsible gun owners.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:

Don't be so obtuse or simple minded. How many of those 112 people killed each day are caused by someone else pushing that pill in their mouth? How many times is it because someone does this to dozens of people back-to-back-to-back, etc at the local school, mall, church, whatever?????

Doesn't matter. If peole are going to use reasons such as "accidental death" and "suicidal people" as reasons to limit guns this is a 100% valid point.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    ....t is nearly impossible to have a gun accessible AND stored safely. ...
    Exactly. Sort of debunks the 'protection' theory and responsible gun owners.

Again, absolutely 100% false.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    DS1119 wrote:

aawe man you're asking for it...you're going to get a hundred more analogies about smoking, slipping on banana peels, bullfighting etc etc, to try to make the mass shooting in CT look insubstantial in the "bigger picture."
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options

Ill not ask the reason,seems personal to ask u and isnt my business
    i respect the fact u want to protect your family..
    but i was thinking this...what if at your sleep one night,u wake up suddenly from a noise
    and scared that is the bad guys ,get the gun and start shooting...
    but,,isnt the bad guys..but someone from your famiy..
    as you understand ..there is no turning back from this...
    my point is..in the fear and need of protect your family..you bought something that may cause alot of pain to your family as well.....
    i wish ofcourse,u never need to use it..

It is a situation I hope to never encounter. I have been around guns my whole life, raised with them in my house. I can handle a weapon of any size. I am very aware the dangers of a weapon. Believe me, its not the situation I want in my life. Tell me, what else am I supposed to do?.....
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    As long as everyone stands their ground on the issue... nothing is going to change.
    If nothing is going to change... then, we... as Americans, will simply have to reach the conclusion that the deaths of people due to gunfire is just part of what defines us as 'American'. It becomes a part of who we are and we have to face the reality that we accept these types of losses as payment for our freedoms.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    know1 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I don't get the arguments i'm seeing from people comparing other types of deaths like overdoses, cigarette smoking, etc. to gun murder. It just makes no sense.

It really doesn't. In many cases I do not believe it is even intended too. Just more noise to distract from the issue at hand.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    As long as everyone stands their ground on the issue... nothing is going to change.
    If nothing is going to change... then, we... as Americans, will simply have to reach the conclusion that the deaths of people due to gunfire is just part of what defines us as 'American'. It becomes a part of who we are and we have to face the reality that we accept these types of losses as payment for our freedoms.

:clap:
  • Options
    This seems to be an honest thread and some folks who I didnt imagine would own a gun surprised me. Thats when it dawned on me that some guns probably have a pretty long shelf life and get passed down from generation to generation.

How many received their guns are they were passed from family members?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:

aawe man you're asking for it...you're going to get a hundred more analogies about smoking, slipping on banana peels, bullfighting etc etc, to try to make the mass shooting in CT look insubstantial in the "bigger picture."

I love it when gun fearing liberals dismiss valid points as ridiculous. What that basically means is it's "I have no answer for that".
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    I love it when everyone who disagrees with the dogma of the right is branded a "gun fearing liberal".

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:

I love it when gun fearing liberals dismiss valid points as ridiculous. What that basically means is it's "I have no answer for that".

Problem is, its not a valid point. Its a far off analogy. One of great concern, but it has nothing to do with the subject at hand. Dont get me wrong, I have a major problem with prescription pills, more so than gun control, but I know that argument has its place.
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    I love it when everyone who disagrees with the dogma of the right is branded a "gun fearing liberal".

So do I. Liberals instead of examining themselves and worrying about themselves always feel they need to change society and others. It must be this person's fault....it must be the guns that are the issue....it's not me, it's them.
This discussion has been closed.