Options

"People vote Obama because they want stuff"

Comments

• Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:
    Radio news said the number one group contributing to Obama were lawyers...
    then it listed a few other professions

hmmm... lawyers
    And Bankers were number 1 with Romney... Your point?

How about real campaign reform... An amendment so the courts can't touch it... No more Super Pacs..
    Yeah, I was trying to figure out why lawyers... hence the hmmm

I looked up the bankers that gave to Romney, they were kind of stingy, considering.
    Maybe it was really his line of credit with each ;)

I agree the campaign process and election process needs to change...
    wait it sounds like just about everything has to change.
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    You really can't look at who gave to the candidates directly ... the Super Pacs were where the real money was.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder ... our-Future

These amounts disgust me ... yes, even your money Jeffery Katzenberg.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,858
    heres what I want.

Continued slow and steady growth.
    Serious effort to enact the other things on your agenda. Show us.

Engage us the citizens to get the house to the table. those fucker better represent us all. they got a job to do , so do it ya bastages. If you dont , then return your salaries and repay any and all healthcare expenses you've incurred.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I am so sick of seeing ignorant FB post from people on the right saying that most of America wants a handout and that is why Obama got re-elected. That being said, I know that not everyone on the right has that opinion. I do have close friends that are republicans, but they have legitimate reasons for their political stance. The people I am talking about is pulling from a shallow gene pool. Oddly enough, most of those post went up during the work day today, when I was at work, I wonder where they were.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Yup. That's exactly why I voted for Obama. I want stuff. That's it. :roll:

In reality, I simply like the direction he's going better than the other guy. I think he's better for the country, and clearly more than a few of my countrymen agreed with me. It's a good day.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383

But this election just cost every family that makes $250,000 over $10,000 extra next year in taxes. So they vote for who will "give them more" (not take away more really). Not a surprise.

One of the major positives of this election. They can afford it. If you make that much I don't feel sorry for you having to pay extra. Their should be zero tax breaks for the rich.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    Ok, I do not want a handout.

Nor do the vast majority of left-leaning voters or the independent voters who saw the alternative.

I want to know that if I pay for health insurance... They can't cut me off should I get gravely ill. That's not a "handout," that's demanding to get what I paid for.

I want to know, with the considerable amount of money I have paid into unemployment insurance that if I should find myself unemployed, I can collect on it. That's not a handout, that's demanding to get what I paid for.

I want to know that should my husband get in a car accident, that I will be allowed into his hospital room.. Be consulted about his care, be considered his husband. That's not a handout, that demanding to be treated equally.

And you know what? I work extremely hard.. Long hours, grueling schedule, massively high-stress job and I get paid pretty damn well for it. But you'll never hear me crying like a little bitch that I have to pay for the roads and bridges and electrical lines and the school down the street even though I have no kids.

That's part of being in a country that offers opportunities like this one does.

Stop saying I want a handout. Especially when you're too stingy to even willingly pay your share of keeping this country working.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    The notion that people vote so that other people pay more and they don't? That's not a notion, it's a reality.

But it is only 1 of the items on the list.

What 'other people' are you referring to here? Are these 'other people' so hard-up that a slight increase in their taxes will hurt them? And is Obama even talking about increasing the taxes of these 'other people', or is he talking about ending tax breaks for these 'other people', such as those they receive for using and maintaining private jets, yachts, and golf-courses?
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    I'm still amazed that a campaign was run based on the single collective notion that they were going to raise taxes.

And that the candidate won. :fp:

'Raise taxes'? Raise whose taxes?
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    I'm still amazed that a campaign was run based on the single collective notion that they were going to raise taxes.

And that the candidate won. :fp:

Raise taxes? Raise whose taxes?

Does it keep you awake at night thinking that the 1% of mega-rich may not receive special tax breaks anymore? Do you have a special soft-spot for the billionaires of this World? If so, why? Really, I'm intrigued. What makes some people so defensive of a bunch of ultra-rich, who you don't know personally, and who don't give two-shits about you or your well-being.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    who you don't know personally, and who don't give two-shits about you or your well-being.

I don't even think he likes me.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I saw on the news last night the breakdown of who supported Obama...
    minorities, of course. He's a perfect figurehead for minorities.

Also the hollywood cool and entertainers supported
    and had a big effect on the voting public.

Watching those billionaires smiling laughing on my TV screen
    I wondered how they hide their money from taxation,cause we know they do.
    Can we say nonprofits?

One said something about being so very proud of our country...

from behind my wine glass after an extremely trying day, finding out I must
    somehow repay a $12,000 payment from a corporation who left owing us near to 40,000
    that I will never see, all because of bullshit bankruptcy laws,
    preferential transfers my ass...

I mumbled, I bet you are ...
    you are filthy rich. Everything looks better when you got bucks, even our country.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    Byrnzie wrote:
    The notion that people vote so that other people pay more and they don't? That's not a notion, it's a reality.

But it is only 1 of the items on the list.

What 'other people' are you referring to here? Are these 'other people' so hard-up that a slight increase in their taxes will hurt them? And is Obama even talking about increasing the taxes of these 'other people', or is he talking about ending tax breaks for these 'other people', such as those they receive for using and maintaining private jets, yachts, and golf-courses?

You need to drop the routine. You know exactly who I am talking about. Everyone does. And it;s a reality that it is very easy to vote for someone else to pay more.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    In my opinion ... it's not the fiscal conservatives that lost last night ... it's the social conservatives.

You put a VP on the ticket that has historically the single toughest stance against abortion ... you have Roe v Wade possibly in jeopardy with the potential for the 2012 Pres to nominate not one, but potentially 2 Supreme Court judges ... you have two senate races where the republican candidates make abhorrent statements about women and rape ...

... and you wonder why women go flocking to the democratic side?

SINGLE women

Married women favored Romney.

From ABC News:

Women, particularly unmarried women, voted for the incumbent as well. Slightly more than two-thirds of unmarried female voters cast ballots for Obama, compared with 30 percent who voted for Romney. Obama performed well with women in general, but it was closer among married women. About 46 percent of married women backed Obama, while 53 favored Romney. Unmarried women are more likely to be lower-income and minority voters, who tend to vote Democratic.

Romney won the white vote by 58 percent, the biggest lead for a Republican candidate since 1988. But as the breakdown of votes among minorities and young voters shows, the Republican Party has struggled to gain support elsewhere. And as the country's population continues to diversify and as more minorities come of voting age, Republicans will need to reevaluate where they stand on positions such as immigration and healthcare if they hope to reel in minority voters.

http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision/Pol ... d=17665898

So, basically, the same demographic all around, just a different label to make the libs feel like they have a more inclusive group.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,175

i don't think that is true. perhaps the gop should re-examine their platform as well as there entire world view.

this election was an outright rejection of their agenda, their positions, their platform, their no compromise attitude, and their ambitions.

the world has turned and left today's republican party behind....
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

i don't think that is true. perhaps the gop should re-examine their platform as well as there entire world view.

this election was an outright rejection of their agenda, their positions, their platform, their no compromise attitude, and their ambitions.

You are wrong, but keep believing that. James Carville was right. The only difference now is it's the INDIVIDUAL's economy that matters because folks can't see the bigger picture. It is clear where voting lines were drawn.

Yes, there are the right wing religious nuts, just like there are the left wing religious (just a different type of religion - I call it the religion of the uteri - just made that up - it's broader reaching, but that seems to be the current year's mantra, so we'll go with it) nuts.

But, the election was clearly decided by folks pocket books and not their uteri (is that the plural?). Even in immigration - it comes down to $$$$. Does anyone really think a single mom with 2 kids and no job is voting based on abortion rights, gay rights and clean energy?

Now, I'm not saying you're not right about the GOP shifting some of their rhetoric to garner more votes. Folks don't want honesty. They want (false) hope and change spoon fed to them.

This election will look like a statistical oddity to future generation. No sitting President has been re-elected with the current economic indicators. And if its not a statistical oddity, we are in real trouble.

Have you heard the parable about the 8 guys that go to a bar to buy beers every week? I'll cut to the chase - the "rich" guy leaves and the other 7 guys stare at each other wondering how they are going to get their beer.
  • Options
    And it;s a reality that it is very easy to vote for someone else to pay more.

Except prop 30 passed in California... People voted to raise their own taxes to deal with the budget shortfall.
  • Options
    Yes, there are the right wing religious nuts, just like there are the left wing religious (just a different type of religion - I call it the religion of the uteri - just made that up - it's broader reaching, but that seems to be the current year's mantra, so we'll go with it) nuts.

Hm... I must have missed the left wing citing religion when forcing votes of the vaginas ad gay marriages of the country.

Can you point me to one?
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,175

You are wrong, but keep believing that. James Carville was right. The only difference now is it's the INDIVIDUAL's economy that matters because folks can't see the bigger picture. It is clear where voting lines were drawn.

But, the election was clearly decided by folks pocket books and not their uteri (is that the plural?). Even in immigration - it comes down to $$$$. Does anyone really think a single mom with 2 kids and no job is voting based on abortion rights, gay rights and clean energy?

Now, I'm not saying you're not right about the GOP shifting some of their rhetoric to garner more votes. Folks don't want honesty. They want (false) hope and change spoon fed to them.

This election will look like a statistical oddity to future generation. No sitting President has been re-elected with the current economic indicators. And if its not a statistical oddity, we are in real trouble.

Have you heard the parable about the 8 guys that go to a bar to buy beers every week? I'll cut to the chase - the "rich" guy leaves and the other 7 guys stare at each other wondering how they are going to get their beer.
    i don't think i am wrong. i see things differently than you do. i know many people who are not on any form of assistance and they voted for obama. to boil the differences down to something as simple as saying "people vote for obama becaue they want something or feel entitled to something" is just ignorant. to say that, you are placing yourself in the camp of bill oreilly, hannity, and rush limbaugh. and by "you" i mean the figurative you. not you personally.

i looked at the election results and the exit polling, and let's face it. the gop got their ass handed to them because they were talking about cutting medicare, social security, planned parenthood, etc. those are not things that people demand, rather those are social safety nets. planned parenthood gives women access to health care and screenings that they need to make sure that they are healthy. medicare takes care of the disabled, not just the elderly, so that they do not go bankrupt paying for their medical expenses. it is a stipend, not a living wage check. medicaid provides health insurance for the poor, and food stamps provides them with food, because without those 2 things eventually people will die.

these are social safety nets. i don't expect any of them, but i expect them to be there for me if i need them. and i expect that for all americans. even those who vehemently oppose those programs. i am sure many many people think like i do. you start trying to take those things away from people and they are going to vote, and vote against the person trying to take that stuff away.

to boil something with so much nuance down to the simple statement that "obama voters want free stuff" is reckless and ignorant, and republicans should think like that at their own political peril.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

Abortion rights.. Yeah, a single mother of two probably does have her own ideas about who gets to choose her reproductive health options. And she sure isn't going with the party who closed down the planned parenthood clinic where she gets her breast cancer screenings.

But she also probably voted on making sure affordable healthcare for her children would be available. She voted on wether she could not have her children taught creationism and abstinence in school.

And if that single mother is a lesbian... Yeah... "Gay rights" might be a big factor (although like me, she might call it "personal equality").

And if she has no job... She sure isn't going to vote for the asshole who railed on her because she's a lazy moocher who feels she's "entitled to food."
  • Options

Have you heard the parable about the guy with his head in his ass who kept asking why the room was dark and smelled so bad?

I'll cut to the chase...

:mrgreen:

The election is over
    The voting is done
    Your party lost
    My party won
    O let us be friends
    Let's do this with class
    And I'll hug your elephant
    If You'll kiss my Ass
  • Options
    MotoDCMotoDC Posts: 947
    Man, I hope the Dems run Biden and the repubs run a moderate...otherwise I'm going to be figuring out how to help a 3rd party candidate.
    :lol: oh man I hope Biden runs just for the sheer entertainment value. That guy is drama gold.
  • Options

Have you heard the parable about the guy with his head in his ass who kept asking why the room was dark and smelled so bad?

I'll cut to the chase...

:mrgreen:

The election is over
    The voting is done
    Your party lost
    My party won
    O let us be friends
    Let's do this with class
    And I'll hug your elephant
    If You'll kiss my Ass

My party is American. If you must know, I'm a fiscal conservative, social moderate to liberal. However, I do choose fiscal over social when push comes to shove. And since neither party speaks to me, I tend to vote fiscal over social.

You're funny. As a 1 issue voter, you shouldn't be pointing fingers at anyone. I'm fine with you being married. Kind of stupid folks worry about what other folks do. But, what good is being married if you don't have a job, the deficit is unpayable, and the country looks more like NYC in 1990 instead of 2000? Obama is doing to this country what David Dinkins did to NYC. I have no idea if Romney would have been able to fix it (which you can check my posts, I've said numerous times). But, I KNOW Obama couldn't (unless he has a massive shift, which at this point, I am truly hoping for for the better of the country).

You're the loudest trumpeter of the hole takes so long to get out of. Reagan had a much worse situation and it took him less than 18 months.
  • Options

Abortion rights.. Yeah, a single mother of two probably does have her own ideas about who gets to choose her reproductive health options. And she sure isn't going with the party who closed down the planned parenthood clinic where she gets her breast cancer screenings.

But she also probably voted on making sure affordable healthcare for her children would be available. She voted on wether she could not have her children taught creationism and abstinence in school.

And if that single mother is a lesbian... Yeah... "Gay rights" might be a big factor (although like me, she might call it "personal equality").

And if she has no job... She sure isn't going to vote for the asshole who railed on her because she's a lazy moocher who feels she's "entitled to food."

Again, you're missing the point. My point was - her view on abortion had nothing to do with her vote. Obviously, blanket statement and each individual is different.

But, it's the ECONOMY. It's always the ECONOMY. Obama was just successful with the help of his friends in the 4th Estate to mis-interpret the numbers for the masses.

LOWEST LABOR FORCE PARTICIPATION RATE IN THE LAST 30 YEARS and he still couldn't budge unemployment much below 8%.

I have a secure job. And, I have personally done better over the last 4 years. But, I also try not to be selfish. It's not just about me. There are people hurting. And giving out cash is not the way to solve the long term problem.

EDIT: And Obamacare did nothing to make health care affordable for the masses. That's the funny thing.
  • Options

Hm... I must have missed the left wing citing religion when forcing votes of the vaginas ad gay marriages of the country.

Can you point me to one?

You understand the context of the word religion there. Right?

Religion can mean - a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

It does not have to mean you go to church.
  • Options
    You're funny. As a 1 issue voter,

I am NOT a "1 issue voter." And writing me off like that is not only insulting, it's just the kind of dismissive attitude that lead the Mitt Romney being handed his pampered ass.

I have posted about countless topics here, from health insurance, union busting, women's rights, the war, drugs, freedom of speech, freedom FROM religion, immigration, race relations and yes... the economy.

You do realize that as a man who not only works for a relatively small movie studio AND has his own small business that I do kinda of understand how business works, right? I joke about being "a pornographer" but in reality... I'm just a businessman who also happens to be an artist.. I make movies that you might not enjoy, but I still have an audience to please and if that audience has no money to buy my products... I'm out of work, too.

So I understand that lowering my tax burden or lowering the cost of my cars by shipping the factory to China isn't going to give my audience enough money to buy what I'm selling. Jobs are NOT created by lowering taxes and making it easier to turn a profit... they're created by consumer demand. They're created by a thriving middle class with disposable income AND they're supported by a strong infrastructure.

(I can't sell people downloads of my movies if the local governments aren't monitoring, repairing and regulating the use of the cables that carry the internet from me to them, can't I?)

(and saying that Reagan has a worse situation and it took 18 months to get out of shows you know pretty much nothing about the topic, so I'm not sure why I'm bothering)
  • Options

Religion can mean - a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

I'm aware of that.

Please point us to a vote where liberals forced their own "system of beliefs" on the individual lifestyles of others. Where they rewrote constitutions to limit what others could do... where they made "we get this, you get the shaft" laws to punish people different from them.

No need for a big essay, you can just list a few.
  • Options
    EDIT: And Obamacare did nothing to make health care affordable for the masses. That's the funny thing.

Tell that to the adult children who are still on their parents policies.

Tell that to the child who was diagnosed with leukemia who didn't get cut off from her health insurance for having a "pre-existing condition."

Tell that to the seniors no longer living in the donut hole.

And MOST of all... You do realize that Obamacare doesn't even come into full effect until 2014, right?
  • Options

I'm aware of that.

Please point us to a vote where liberals forced their own "system of beliefs" on the individual lifestyles of others. Where they rewrote constitutions to limit what others could do... where they made "we get this, you get the shaft" laws to punish people different from them.

No need for a big essay, you can just list a few.

Well, you stated folks voted based on abortion rights. Why when the country's economy is in the shitter?
  • Options

Tell that to the adult children who are still on their parents policies.

Tell that to the child who was diagnosed with leukemia who didn't get cut off from her health insurance for having a "pre-existing condition."

Tell that to the seniors no longer living in the donut hole.

And MOST of all... You do realize that Obamacare doesn't even come into full effect until 2014, right?

:lol: 25 year olds that are mostly healthy and cost they system nothing anyway.

Agreed - pre-ex is a tough situation. This law will prove not to fix that problem. I won't write an essay.

As for the donut hole - honestly - that was sheer brilliance in the design of that program. Yes, folks feel into it and needed to get money elsewhere to pay for it. But, it was a well designed program that provided coverage that seniors did not have AND weighed the affordability to the greater mass of the population to provide such. Quite frankly, in our current state, we can't afford ANY of it. But, at least there was some thought put into the Actuarial valuations and what it would mean to the country's overall economy.

I'd like to cover everyone also. But I'd also like us to pay our credit card off at some point.

And, yes, I realize when it goes into effect. Kind of humerous that it's full effects won't be felt until Obama is out of office. Why would someone put that sort of timeline on something when there was a risk of it not being implemented if he didn't get re-elected? He knows it's not going to work.