Options

"People vote Obama because they want stuff"

Comments

• Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    I voted for Obama and didn't even get an I VOTED sticker, never mind any "stuff".
    Sucks for you, I got a beer cozy and a key chain.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,929
    JimmyV wrote:
    I voted for Obama and didn't even get an I VOTED sticker, never mind any "stuff".
    Sucks for you, I got a beer cozy and a key chain.

Then Fox is right, this Obama voter is jealous of your good fortune. :lol:

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    :lol: Outlaw? Wow. :lol:

Why are you laughing? You think it's funny that Paul Ryan wanted to outlaw forms of birth control? Because he does.
    Find a single person who votes based on Vice President anyway .

Outlawing FORMS of birth control and outlawing birth control are 2 different things. And neither are happening, so why waste time on that?

As for Palin - really? There were Obama voters in 2008 that voted AGAINST Palin?

Again - the difference - I'm not saying folks don't dislike or are repulsed by a VP candidate. But, George Bush won with Dan Quayle and Barack Obama won with Joe Biden. Nobody's voting for or against a VP. There's plenty of studies out there on both sides that draw this conclusion pretty clearly.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options

As for Palin - really? There were Obama voters in 2008 that voted AGAINST Palin?

I know of at least three.

• Options
    JimmyV wrote:

What a wasted vote. Please tell me 3 things Joe Biden did last year.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    JimmyV wrote:

1) Say something stupid
    2) Make a stupid face
    3) ride a goddman train (give the man a medal)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

I'm not one of the three but you are missing the point. McCain's health was a legitimate concern and the thought of her ascending to the Oval Office was terrifying to some.

And while I'm not sure I would ever vote for Biden at the top of the ticket, his ascension would not be nearly as scary.

• Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

I'm not one of the three but you are missing the point. McCain's health was a legitimate concern and the thought of her ascending to the Oval Office was terrifying to some.

And while I'm not sure I would ever vote for Biden at the top of the ticket, his ascension would not be nearly as scary.

So, in theory, you are saying, they were more worried about who would be President if the President died than the actual President if you voted?

That means one of 2 things:

1) They thought McCain was the better candidate than Obama, but fear of his health made them vote against this

2) They thought McCain and Obama were equal candidates and the tie breaker was who was more likely to die.

But, it definitely does not mean they thought Obama was the better candidate. Because, if they did, the VP is just icing for them. Not the REASON.

So, do your friends want to change their spoken reason to the real reason or just continue to sound like kooks?
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    JimmyV wrote:
    Did you at least get a receipt?

I got a receipt.
  • Options

So, in theory, you are saying, they were more worried about who would be President if the President died than the actual President if you voted?

1) They thought McCain was the better candidate than Obama, but fear of his health made them vote against this

2) They thought McCain and Obama were equal candidates and the tie breaker was who was more likely to die.

But, it definitely does not mean they thought Obama was the better candidate. Because, if they did, the VP is just icing for them. Not the REASON.

So, do your friends want to change their spoken reason to the real reason or just continue to sound like kooks?

Not sure why this is so shocking to you. Also not sure the relevance of whether or not Obama was the better candidate in their minds. Again, these aren't my votes. But I do have three friends who were undecideds in the final days before the election - two independents, one Republican. Each of them stated after the fact that the deciding factor was a fear of putting Palin that close to the Presidency. You think that makes someone a kook. I 100% disagree.

• Options
    JTH wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:
    Did you at least get a receipt?

I got a receipt.

I got nothing! And there wasn't even a bake sale outside like there sometimes is. I would have dropped $20 easy. :)

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    I thought we were rid of Palin :lol:

In all seriousness, while I voted for Obama and not against Palin, I would argue the simple fact that McCain picked Palin is reason enough to vote against him. If someone is capable of making such a poor and irresponsible decision on such a big stage, then he is unfit to be president of this country.
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    What we got for voting for Obama is a more sane country to live in than the country a Romney administration would have given us. That's what I voted for.
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I thought we were rid of Palin :lol:

In all seriousness, while I voted for Obama and not against Palin, I would argue the simple fact that McCain picked Palin is reason enough to vote against him. If someone is capable of making such a poor and irresponsible decision on such a big stage, then he is unfit to be president of this country.

He wanted to hit that, i cant blame the guy, but he also wants to carpet bomb the entire middle east, that's a problem.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    funny i never listen to or watch political entertainment, which is what bill nO'reality is an entertainer..
    anyway what came to my mind is this: since hurricanes are "acts of God", right? we learned that from katrina, and hurricane sandy supposedly helped o-bomb-us then i can only deduce the obvious... THAT GOD WANTED OBAMA TO WIN!!!
  • Options
    JC29856 wrote:
    funny i never listen to or watch political entertainment, which is what bill nO'reality is an entertainer..
    anyway what came to my mind is this: since hurricanes are "acts of God", right? we learned that from katrina, and hurricane sandy supposedly helped o-bomb-us then i can only deduce the obvious... THAT GOD WANTED OBAMA TO WIN!!!

Another vote for Hurricane Sandy? Can you liberals please back off. Matthews... Michael Moore... C'mon. Where's the outrage? Instead you add your voice to the praise of a storm that has done so much damage?

I know. I know. That's not what you meant, either. Whatever. If you were on the right, you'd be fired by now.
  • Options
    Outlawing FORMS of birth control and outlawing birth control are 2 different things. And neither are happening, so why waste time on that?

1) No form of birth control should be regulated by the government, especially by a party who moans about big government butting into their lives with "regulation." And you asked why a woman would vote against a ticket with Paul Ryan... So I told you a reason. THAT is why we "waste time on that."

Uh... you live in America, right?

There were a LOT of people who voted for president Obama based solely on McCain being dumb enough to add that Moron to the ticket. I knew people who abandoned 3rd parties because they were afraid of a Palin presidency.

How did you miss that? were you in a coma?
  • Options
    If you were on the right, you'd be fired by now.

Can you please list the "fired" pundits or anchors "on the right" who suggested that Hurricane Katrina was God's punishment for gays?

And while you're at it, the Joplin tornados?

And let's throw in Sandy, too.
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

Not sure why this is so shocking to you. Also not sure the relevance of whether or not Obama was the better candidate in their minds. Again, these aren't my votes. But I do have three friends who were undecideds in the final days before the election - two independents, one Republican. Each of them stated after the fact that the deciding factor was a fear of putting Palin that close to the Presidency. You think that makes someone a kook. I 100% disagree.

Here. For you and your friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLYZ-Sv6 ... r_embedded
  • Options
    JC29856 wrote:

Another vote for Hurricane Sandy? Can you liberals please back off. Matthews... Michael Moore... C'mon. Where's the outrage? Instead you add your voice to the praise of a storm that has done so much damage?

I know. I know. That's not what you meant, either. Whatever. If you were on the right, you'd be fired by now.

If it wasnt obvious, the comment was directed at the Christo-facists that voted for rMoney only because of the 3G issues.
  • Options
    JC29856 wrote:
    JC29856 wrote:

If it wasnt obvious, the comment was directed at the Christo-facists that voted for rMoney only because of the 3G issues.

Sure. And Don Imus was just using the street lingo. Does it matter?

There are nuts on both sides. It's also not acceptable to be calling them Christo-facists (not that I care about any of it. It's just words, and folks get way to uptight about it. What Matthews and Moore said about the storm, though...I'm not so sure). Imagine if someone called Obama...well, use your imagination. Not good. If you hate something, don't you do it too....
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Edson

who was i calling christo-facists?

Do me a favor and PM me so I have your email, I will send you some pictures from the Jersey coastline, if your close enough maybe you can come by this weekend and help out? let me know
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    this is very intresting thread to read about..i like reading opinions on this one..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JC29856 wrote:
    Edson

Do me a favor and PM me so I have your email, I will send you some pictures from the Jersey coastline, if your close enough maybe you can come by this weekend and help out? let me know

That's ok. I live on Long Island, and I have it first hand. Not sure what that means. Is that like when Seinfeld is an anti-dentite because he's not a dentist, but Whatley can say Jewish jokes because he's Jewish?

Your quote doesn't refer to christo-facists? I just made that up?

EDIT: I don't think you called the hurricane or anything to do with it christo-facists if that's what you think. I wouldn't even know how to interpret that. But, you called a segment of folks that voted for Romney that. Not sure the point of name calling. What if someone called a segment of the folks that voted for Obama some pujorative name? It's just unnecessary and would not be so easily accepted in places like AMT if it were describing the liberal zealots.
  • Options
    JC29856 wrote:
    Edson

That's ok. I live on Long Island, and I have it first hand. Not sure what that means. Is that like when Seinfeld is an anti-dentite because he's not a dentist, but Whatley can say Jewish jokes because he's Jewish?

Your quote doesn't refer to christo-facists? I just made that up?

stop the bs your saying that im praising the hurricane!

since your so brilliant ill explain again...christo-facist is a play on islamo-facist

do yourself a favor and stop watching so much tv...

let me know you if you need any help up there on the island, id be glad to help out!
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,173
    what stuff specifically do obama voters want???

probably the same things most of us want. this is just from the top of my head....

1 safety

2 health insurance and access to care

3 we never want to die of starvation

4 we want control over our bodies

5 we want all people, women, men, gay, straight, black, white, latino, asian, etc to have equal rights

6 we want government to work for us, not have a minority party stonewall and block every possible initiative

7 we want to have peace and not be bombing the shit out of other countries because we are scared, we don't want to be paranoid or scared

8 we want god out of government and god out of our public schools (as an aside, i want god bless america taken out of the 7th inning stretch of baseball games, 9/11 was 11 years ago, we can stop with that shit now)

9 we want quality education for all

10 we want to stop harming the planet and we want alternative fuels. we want everyone to acknowledge that the plant is warming and this is going to only lead to more devestating storms, more death and destruction.

above all, we want everyone to have the same chance. just a fucking chance, to make something out of ourselves. just a chance to sink or swim on our own and not be held back by anyone or anything. a chance to make something out of ourselves.

i think that is just a start to what most obama voters want.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

above all, we want everyone to have the same chance. just a fucking chance, to make something out of ourselves. just a chance to sink or swim on our own and not be held back by anyone or anything. a chance to make something out of ourselves.

How are folks held back from making something of themselves? I'm interested to hear that one.

Sure, there are folks that start out ahead. So what? It's not a zero sum game. Just because one person does well because they started out ahead doesn't mean someone else can't make something of themselves.

This is what holds folks back. I did better than my father did. He did better than his father did. He did better than his father did. Then, I lose track of my ancestry. I didn't have Kim Kardashian's wealth or ass. But, somehow, I'm doing ok. Who cares what her wealth is?

If anything, Obama's agenda holds people back by making them dependent on the government.

Please explain how folks are held back because we don't take more money from the "rich?"
  • Options

probably the same things most of us want. this is just from the top of my head....

1 safety

5 we want all people, women, men, gay, straight, black, white, latino, asian, etc to have equal rights

6 we want government to work for us, not have a minority party stonewall and block every possible initiative

7 we want to have peace and not be bombing the shit out of other countries because we are scared, we don't want to be paranoid or scared

8 we want god out of government and god out of our public schools (as an aside, i want god bless america taken out of the 7th inning stretch of baseball games, 9/11 was 11 years ago, we can stop with that shit now)

10 we want to stop harming the planet and we want alternative fuels. we want everyone to acknowledge that the plant is warming and this is going to only lead to more devestating storms, more death and destruction.

And to address the rest of this - you are right - Romney wanted folks to die of starvation. :roll:

And, what's the big deal with God Bless America in the 7th inning? Better to have Sweet Caroline when your team sucks?

I'm not religious at all. I think it's stupid and causes more problems than it solves (though some people do use it for good, which shouldn't be ignored either). But, the sentiment of the song is not that we believe in god or that it protects us (well, I'm sure some people take the literal translation). I take it as we are happy for out country and proud to be Americans. Kind of funny that the left doesn't want folks telling them what to do, but they are worried over a song. If you don't like it, don't stand when you're at the game and flip the channel when you're watching it on tv. Not sure why you'd even bring this up in such a non-sequitor kind of way. If you want to let people do what they want, this is part of what you get. You can't have it both ways. Oh, right - you only want it YOUR way.
  • Options

How are folks held back from making something of themselves? I'm interested to hear that one.

Sure, there are folks that start out ahead. So what? It's not a zero sum game. Just because one person does well because they started out ahead doesn't mean someone else can't make something of themselves.

This is what holds folks back. I did better than my father did. He did better than his father did. He did better than his father did. Then, I lose track of my ancestry. I didn't have Kim Kardashian's wealth or ass. But, somehow, I'm doing ok. Who cares what her wealth is?

If anything, Obama's agenda holds people back by making them dependent on the government.

Please explain how folks are held back because we don't take more money from the "rich?"
    I think this comes more into play when people's basic needs aren't even met...not just about having more of a chance because of wealth, but recognizing that people can't even focus on self-actualization if their basic needs on the hierarchy aren't met.

maslows-hierarchy-of-needs.png

I have a student whose parents both died before he was 8...never grew up with any strong family support and has a chronic health condition from birth...but damn if he isn't the hardest worker I know. The kid has a 4.0 with a double science major, works as an RA and in another college office and he is a student leader for a few different clubs. He's going off to medical school in the fall, but wouldn't have been able to do any of that without medicaid and tuition grants. He's worked his ass off for it, but is in a different position than someone who comes from a family who could provide healthcare and assist with tuition, food, clothing etc.

And just to respond to the early discussion about people in their 20s being healthy, since September I have met with a 19 year old student who was born with HIV, another 19 year old with non-Hodgkins lymphoma, a 24 year old with breast cancer and a 26 year old with ovarian cancer. It will be a relief for them to stay on their parents' insurance and not to be denied for pre-existing conditions.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120

1 safety

i think that is just a start to what most obama voters want.

Pretty good miss America speech you have there though. Problem is, Obama is not going to help with some of those, but I guess you think he'd help more than Romney.

And it doesnt seem like you want people to have a chance to sink or swim. You want them to do what they want and get unlimited life jackets.
    hippiemom = goodness