Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Comments

• Yoda was the wisest character ever put to film. In the original trilogy that is.

"Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

That last line was actually from Episode One.

but I agree.

Sadly, by the Episode Two, he was just speaking backwards for no reason. "To the front lines take me"
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399

Yoda was the wisest character ever put to film. In the original trilogy that is.

but I agree.

Sadly, by the Episode Two, he was just speaking backwards for no reason. "To the front lines take me"

Was it? Did he say something similar in Empire? Oh well, good line anyway.

And yeah, the backwards speaking got out of hand to the point that a great character with a noticeable but not exaggerated speech irregularity just became a caricature of itself.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

but I agree.

ya but his fight scenes with dooku and the emperor were pretty kick ass too! ...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138

Yoda was the wisest character ever put to film. In the original trilogy that is.

but I agree.

Judge Yoda, you must not.
    polaris_x wrote:

but I agree.

ya but his fight scenes with dooku and the emperor were pretty kick ass too! ...

Yeah, when I first saw him go off in Ep. 2, I was impressed. Size matters not.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    polaris_x wrote:
    I'll never forget the reaction his first fight scene got during the midnight screening. Totally badass.
  • I'm all for more Star Wars. As much as I hated Episode I, the rest of the prequel trilogy wasn't too bad. I just think George Lucas bought into his own hype a little too much.

With a fresh mind at the helm, I can see this being a great success. The first thing they need to do is get someone who understands the scale of the Star Wars universe, and a proven track record at mapping out a coherent story arc, to oversee and draft a script. Personally I'd like to see Peter David give it a go.

With the amount they are investing in this franchise I am sure they will hire the right people to re-launch it. They NEED to put out a great episode 7 in order to have ANY credibility going forward.
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
    With the amount they are investing in this franchise I am sure they will hire the right people to re-launch it. They NEED to put out a great episode 7 in order to have ANY credibility going forward.
    Very true, and I 100% agree. Their Star Wars run hinges on satisfying old fans while bringing in new ones with episode 7.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Attack of the Show said hat 20th Century Fox owns Star Wars 4 a new hope out right and we should expect a deal with Disney in the coming years, which might lead to a blu-ray original version dvd, no George Lucas weaks. :shock:
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    So if the new movie were to re cast folks (which i doubt they will i assume it will be in the future).....
    If they don't cast Nathan Fillion as Han Solo they gonna have some splannin to do! :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Attack of the Show said hat 20th Century Fox owns Star Wars 4 a new hope out right and we should expect a deal with Disney in the coming years, which might lead to a blu-ray original version dvd, no George Lucas weaks. :shock:

Yeah, in the meantime somebody just turned me on to this.

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Harmys-STAR-WARS-Despecialized-Edition-HD-REMASTERED-is-now-released/topic/12713/

Fan made "de-specialized" versions. I haven't seen it yet, I just downloaded them and getting them ready to burn to DVD. They're supposed to be really great, looking clean and having none of George's bullshit.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Disney's plans to make a trio of "Star Wars" movies has set off a frenzy of speculation over what that series will look like. But even as fans offer their emotional reactions to the news of the movies — and their pleas for who should direct them — the die is already being cast.

In the months before Disney announced it would acquire "Star Wars" studio Lucasfilm, several different screenwriters paid visits to Lucasfilm's Northern California compound to pitch George Lucas and his co-chair Kathleen Kennedy their ideas for the new live-action installment, the series' seventh, according to a person familiar with the talks who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to talk about them. The screenwriters were pitching ideas for a new story, not ones adapted from existing "Star Wars" books.

The person did not reveal the identities of the people who had met with Lucas and Kennedy but said they were well-known screenwriters with experience creating big-budget Hollywood films. A spokeswoman for Lucasfilm on Wednesday did not return a call seeking comment.

On Tuesday, Disney announced that it would spend $4.05 billion to acquire Lucasfilm and continue the "Star Wars" saga, which to date has yielded six live-action movies and $4.31 billion in worldwide box office. The most recent, "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith," came out in 2005 and, despite a critical mauling, became the second highest-grossing movie of the franchise (not adjusting for inflation).

That movie, along with two other prequels, created a filmgoer backlash, satisfying some fans but leaving many longing for more visionary filmmaking. That has led to a tension between fans over the direction of the series, with many reacting to Tuesday's news online by saying that the franchise needs a wholesale reinvention (or not to be touched at all), while others expressed their desire that the franchise continue in its recent directions.

The first of the new films is set to come out in 2015, with two more movies following approximately in 2017 and 2019, Disney executives said. Chief Financial Officer Jay Rasulo told analysts there was already a "treatment" for the movies but did not specify whether that came from Lucas or an outside writer.

The announcement prompted speculation over who might direct the movies. Perhaps the most bandied-about name among fans, Christopher Nolan, also seems like a long shot. Though he made his "Batman" films at Warner Bros. under Alan Horn, who now runs Disney, the director has a long-standing relationship with Warners that could make a jump to Disney awkward. He also has expressed his interest in not concentrating on reboots of tentpole-style projects at this stage of his career.

Whatever direction they move in, Disney and Lucasfilm will need to move fast. A 2015 release target means that significant development progress would need to happen in 2013, and many of the industry's splashiest genre names — including J.J. Abrams and Joss Whedon — have a dance card filled with new movies.

A Disney home for "Star Wars" is a shift for the franchise, which since its inception in 1977 has never fully resided at a studio. (20th Century Fox distributed the live-action films but did not have large amounts of creative input.) Still, some Hollywood insiders contacted by The Times noted that Disney has been relatively hands-off in its other recent acquisitions. It has, for instance, allowed Pixar chief John Lasseter and Marvel production head Kevin Feige wide berth in shaping their movies.

Horn also has a reputation as a filmmaker-friendly executive who creatively stayed more hands-off than some of his rivals. "I don't think Disney will be a deterrent for anyone," said a representative of several top directors who has worked both with Horn and Disney.

Disney does have a mixed record when it comes to sci-fi epics, and in recent years has stumbled badly under the regime preceding Horn's. The flops included "Mars Needs Moms" and "John Carter." "Tron: Legacy" was only a mediocre performer.

What creative direction the story takes remains to be seen. The story of lightsabers and storm troopers reached a natural conclusion in 1983's "Return of the Jedi" with the confrontation between Luke Skywalker and his father Darth Vader. The movie was the final film, chronologically, in a six-movie arc telling the story of Anakin Skywalker, who would become Darth Vader.

A host of tie-in books have also been written, with the most fundamental among them regarded as "Star Wars canon," a phrase that highlights the religious aura around the franchise. Author Timothy Zahn penned a sequel trilogy of books that are considered part of this canon; in its first installment, set five years after "Return of the Jedi," Luke Skywalker and company rebuild as a new evil emerges. But the new movies will likely not be taking their cues from those novels.

Lucas, 68, will not be directing the film, instead serving in the more nebulous role of "consultant." Historically, Lucas has kept tight reins on the "Star Wars" movies and brand, overseeing even minute production and licensing details.

But he intimated in a statement that the sale to Disney was part of a process of stepping back. "I've always believed that 'Star Wars' could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime," he said.

Lucas' recent hiring of Kennedy to run Lucasfilm could be seen as part of that transition process; Kennedy is a veteran Hollywood producer who has a history of working with decorated directors such as David Fincher and Steven Spielberg (she produced this fall's awards contender "Lincoln").

While the prospect of taking over one of Hollywood's most sacred franchises would be daunting for big-name filmmakers — particularly if Lucas sought to keep a strong hand in it — these filmmakers might be encouraged by the fact that the most recent movies were not well-received by fans, setting the bar lower.

The news of a new series of films is a reversal for Lucas, who has long expressed the belief that the saga would not continue past the six live-action films that had previously been made. At a news conference for "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace" in 1999, Lucas said he did not want to continue the series. "I will not do VII, VIII and IX," he said then. He added that no one else will make the movies either. "This is it. This is all there is," he said.
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mo ... 9100.story
    intodeep wrote:
    So if the new movie were to re cast folks (which i doubt they will i assume it will be in the future).....
    If they don't cast Nathan Fillion as Han Solo they gonna have some splannin to do! :D

who do you think is cooler at this point?

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Harmys-STAR-WARS-Despecialized-Edition-HD-REMASTERED-is-now-released/topic/12713/

Fan made "de-specialized" versions. I haven't seen it yet, I just downloaded them and getting them ready to burn to DVD. They're supposed to be really great, looking clean and having none of George's bullshit.

Thats Neat, i bought DVD's and it has the originals ofcourse, but the speical version are just so much more beautiful that generally you take the BS that comes along with it, However if we didnt have to!
    norm wrote:
    Disney's plans to make a trio of "Star Wars" movies has set off a frenzy of speculation over what that series will look like. But even as fans offer their emotional reactions to the news of the movies — and their pleas for who should direct them — the die is already being cast.

In the months before Disney announced it would acquire "Star Wars" studio Lucasfilm, several different screenwriters paid visits to Lucasfilm's Northern California compound to pitch George Lucas and his co-chair Kathleen Kennedy their ideas for the new live-action installment, the series' seventh, according to a person familiar with the talks who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to talk about them. The screenwriters were pitching ideas for a new story, not ones adapted from existing "Star Wars" books.

The person did not reveal the identities of the people who had met with Lucas and Kennedy but said they were well-known screenwriters with experience creating big-budget Hollywood films. A spokeswoman for Lucasfilm on Wednesday did not return a call seeking comment.

On Tuesday, Disney announced that it would spend $4.05 billion to acquire Lucasfilm and continue the "Star Wars" saga, which to date has yielded six live-action movies and $4.31 billion in worldwide box office. The most recent, "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith," came out in 2005 and, despite a critical mauling, became the second highest-grossing movie of the franchise (not adjusting for inflation).

That movie, along with two other prequels, created a filmgoer backlash, satisfying some fans but leaving many longing for more visionary filmmaking. That has led to a tension between fans over the direction of the series, with many reacting to Tuesday's news online by saying that the franchise needs a wholesale reinvention (or not to be touched at all), while others expressed their desire that the franchise continue in its recent directions.

The first of the new films is set to come out in 2015, with two more movies following approximately in 2017 and 2019, Disney executives said. Chief Financial Officer Jay Rasulo told analysts there was already a "treatment" for the movies but did not specify whether that came from Lucas or an outside writer.

The announcement prompted speculation over who might direct the movies. Perhaps the most bandied-about name among fans, Christopher Nolan, also seems like a long shot. Though he made his "Batman" films at Warner Bros. under Alan Horn, who now runs Disney, the director has a long-standing relationship with Warners that could make a jump to Disney awkward. He also has expressed his interest in not concentrating on reboots of tentpole-style projects at this stage of his career.

Whatever direction they move in, Disney and Lucasfilm will need to move fast. A 2015 release target means that significant development progress would need to happen in 2013, and many of the industry's splashiest genre names — including J.J. Abrams and Joss Whedon — have a dance card filled with new movies.

A Disney home for "Star Wars" is a shift for the franchise, which since its inception in 1977 has never fully resided at a studio. (20th Century Fox distributed the live-action films but did not have large amounts of creative input.) Still, some Hollywood insiders contacted by The Times noted that Disney has been relatively hands-off in its other recent acquisitions. It has, for instance, allowed Pixar chief John Lasseter and Marvel production head Kevin Feige wide berth in shaping their movies.

Horn also has a reputation as a filmmaker-friendly executive who creatively stayed more hands-off than some of his rivals. "I don't think Disney will be a deterrent for anyone," said a representative of several top directors who has worked both with Horn and Disney.

Disney does have a mixed record when it comes to sci-fi epics, and in recent years has stumbled badly under the regime preceding Horn's. The flops included "Mars Needs Moms" and "John Carter." "Tron: Legacy" was only a mediocre performer.

What creative direction the story takes remains to be seen. The story of lightsabers and storm troopers reached a natural conclusion in 1983's "Return of the Jedi" with the confrontation between Luke Skywalker and his father Darth Vader. The movie was the final film, chronologically, in a six-movie arc telling the story of Anakin Skywalker, who would become Darth Vader.

A host of tie-in books have also been written, with the most fundamental among them regarded as "Star Wars canon," a phrase that highlights the religious aura around the franchise. Author Timothy Zahn penned a sequel trilogy of books that are considered part of this canon; in its first installment, set five years after "Return of the Jedi," Luke Skywalker and company rebuild as a new evil emerges. But the new movies will likely not be taking their cues from those novels.

Lucas, 68, will not be directing the film, instead serving in the more nebulous role of "consultant." Historically, Lucas has kept tight reins on the "Star Wars" movies and brand, overseeing even minute production and licensing details.

But he intimated in a statement that the sale to Disney was part of a process of stepping back. "I've always believed that 'Star Wars' could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime," he said.

Lucas' recent hiring of Kennedy to run Lucasfilm could be seen as part of that transition process; Kennedy is a veteran Hollywood producer who has a history of working with decorated directors such as David Fincher and Steven Spielberg (she produced this fall's awards contender "Lincoln").

While the prospect of taking over one of Hollywood's most sacred franchises would be daunting for big-name filmmakers — particularly if Lucas sought to keep a strong hand in it — these filmmakers might be encouraged by the fact that the most recent movies were not well-received by fans, setting the bar lower.

The news of a new series of films is a reversal for Lucas, who has long expressed the belief that the saga would not continue past the six live-action films that had previously been made. At a news conference for "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace" in 1999, Lucas said he did not want to continue the series. "I will not do VII, VIII and IX," he said then. He added that no one else will make the movies either. "This is it. This is all there is," he said.
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mo ... 9100.story

They could keep elements from the books, i' mean there are some really great ideas, why ignore them? You need a Logical Villian, Thrawn fits, or someone to be a threat to the New Republic. A Tactical Genuis does that. But There's so many options.

Thats Neat, i bought DVD's and it has the originals ofcourse, but the speical version are just so much more beautiful that generally you take the BS that comes along with it, However if we didnt have to!

Yeah, I have that one DVD set that came out a while back that had the untampered originals on it. But for anybody that missed out on that, it's now out of print and last time I looked at the price were pretty pricey.

And also when I say untampered, they didn't touch it at all, not even to clean up the image or anything. It's just an old early 90's laserdisc transfer (with the quality of a VHS tape). I think what many people want is a digitally remastered version of the films with a nice clean image, only without the Lucas additions. That does not exist, except for in the fan made project apparently .
    Looks like the next films will be original material written by Lucas ...

We can safely assume that the films will be original stories and not adaptations of "Star Wars" novels, comics, or games. This is kind of a bummer. The Admiral Thrawn book trilogy by Timothy Zahn is highly regarded and would make a compelling series of films. However, according to E! Online, the new films will be based on original treatments written by George Lucas.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/star-wars-returns-rumor-roundup-221654367.html

(note: it is kind of odd to be bummed out that the guy who made Star Wars in writing the next three films. it's like being bummed out that Pearl Jam is writing the next Pearl Jam album.)
    Jason P wrote:

We can safely assume that the films will be original stories and not adaptations of "Star Wars" novels, comics, or games. This is kind of a bummer. The Admiral Thrawn book trilogy by Timothy Zahn is highly regarded and would make a compelling series of films. However, according to E! Online, the new films will be based on original treatments written by George Lucas.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/star-wars-returns-rumor-roundup-221654367.html

(note: it is kind of odd to be bummed out that the guy who made Star Wars in writing the next three films. it's like being bummed out that Pearl Jam is writing the next Pearl Jam album.)

i think there is a lot of misinformation and speculation out there ... i doubt lucas is gonna write these scripts ... from all that i've read - i think what makes the most sense is that they have someone write/direct based on george's original concepts ...
    polaris_x wrote:

i think there is a lot of misinformation and speculation out there ... i doubt lucas is gonna write these scripts ... from all that i've read - i think what makes the most sense is that they have someone write/direct based on george's original concepts ...
    I know the perfect man to write and direct the series!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgbZeB5ybjobCVAcA7gs5ReG2tSIeA2JhVWENfxH-B9__NETsh
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I'm excited about this....I'm not worried about the new films tarnishing the legacy of the originals. Messing with the original films is a total joke....but they stand on their own - I don't see anything wrong with creating new stories in the Star Wars universe. Crossing my fingers that they're well done!
  • I'm excited about this....I'm not worried about the new films tarnishing the legacy of the originals. Messing with the original films is a total joke....but they stand on their own - I don't see anything wrong with creating new stories in the Star Wars universe. Crossing my fingers that they're well done!

I would agree with this but I just don't know exactly what this episode 7 could be. if this takes place after episode 6, then Darth Vader and the Emperor are dead so there's no bad guys to fight. And also if it takes place after episode 6, then it would probably feature characters from episode 6. So SOMEONE ELSE is gonna play Luke Skywalker? I'll see it because why not but I have the lowest of low expectations. But even with those low expectations, I still think it'll be better than Episodes 1-3.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    polaris_x wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Yeah, and they specifically said he was "Creative Consultant". I'm sure he'll have some input, but I don't think he's writing it.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I'm excited about this....I'm not worried about the new films tarnishing the legacy of the originals. Messing with the original films is a total joke....but they stand on their own - I don't see anything wrong with creating new stories in the Star Wars universe. Crossing my fingers that they're well done!

I would agree with this but I just don't know exactly what this episode 7 could be. if this takes place after episode 6, then Darth Vader and the Emperor are dead so there's no bad guys to fight. And also if it takes place after episode 6, then it would probably feature characters from episode 6. So SOMEONE ELSE is gonna play Luke Skywalker? I'll see it because why not but I have the lowest of low expectations. But even with those low expectations, I still think it'll be better than Episodes 1-3.
    Low expectations are a good thing...I went in to Ep1 with high expectations....ouch.
    I dont have a problem with someone else playing Luke. The Batman example holds true. Who knows, the new Luke could be awesome. Or they could make it 30 years in the future and have the old cast involved as older versions of themselves. It's wide open. I haven't read the books so I don't know much about the Star Wars universe outside of the six movies.....but with the stories being wrapped up, we have a clean slate....new villains, new crisis, whatever....i don't really care as long as the writing and casting is of the highest quality, and I get to see jedi's in some kick-ass light-sabre battles.

I remember having some hesitation about them making ep1-3...but I read an interview in Details with Ewan Mcgregor, in which he talked about a guy coming to his house with a briefcase, telling him it was time to choose his lightsabre, and how exciting it was for him....that got me pumped to see where they could take the series, because it reinforced that there are a LOT of people in hollywood who are as big of star wars fans as any of us, and they will do everything in their power to ensure we're not disappointed.
    Still - my original point was....who cares if we're disappointed? It doesn't really effect my opinion of the originals...so I'd rather see them try than not. Or should I say do, than do not.
  • I'm excited about this....I'm not worried about the new films tarnishing the legacy of the originals. Messing with the original films is a total joke....but they stand on their own - I don't see anything wrong with creating new stories in the Star Wars universe. Crossing my fingers that they're well done!

I was thinking the same thing, but I had a friend who is a Star Wars fanatic explain to me:

"Legacy of the Force - Part 1", "Legacy of the Force - Part 2", and "Fate of the Jedi" should be Episodes VII, VIII, and IX respectably.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_books

"Legacy of the Force" takes place 36 years after "Return of the Jedi" which is appropriately timed for Episode VII. It wouldn't be right if they didn't bring back the original cast. After all, they are a part of the story line. "Legacy.." has more emphasis on Jacen (older son of Solo and Leia).
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    One thing is certain: Disney knows how to turn a profit. So I would guess the next triology will be more family friendly, with stuff to entertain both kids and adults. Whether or not that actually translates into good films SW fans want to see is another issue entirely ...
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:
    One thing is certain: Disney knows how to turn a profit. So I would guess the next triology will be more family friendly, with stuff to entertain both kids and adults. Whether or not that actually translates into good films SW fans want to see is another issue entirely ...

i dunno ... the whole avengers thing is under the disney umbrella and the success of the dark knight trilogy under nolan would seem to indicate that they aren't necessarily going to go that route ...
    Has anyone else heard the rumour that Matthew Vaughn (Kick Ass, X-Men: First Class, Layer Cake), is in talks to direct Episode VII?
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    polaris_x wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

i dunno ... the whole avengers thing is under the disney umbrella and the success of the dark knight trilogy under nolan would seem to indicate that they aren't necessarily going to go that route ...

True. But SW is so much more cross generational than Avengers ... adults today saw SW when they were kids or teens, and want their kids to have a similar experience; that doesn't necessarily exist with Avengers. Likewise, Disney has had great success with the Pixar and animation flicks (and to some degree live action movies), which one could argue appeal to both kids and adults.

Obviously, we don't know what route they're going to go, but SW has always had that young kid appeal to it (robots, Ewoks, etc.) which makes me imagine they'd curve a movie more to the younger generation than the older, which in my mind would do a disservice to the franchise (but dollars for Disney!).

But I'd be happy to be wrong!
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,893
    never seen a star wars movie in my life :thumbup:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Has anyone else heard the rumour that Matthew Vaughn (Kick Ass, X-Men: First Class, Layer Cake), is in talks to direct Episode VII?

Yup, i like him, he's not a my first choice but they could do worse.