Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    if it's a computer generated film like the trailer's to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPdJdEFilaU they could do it, with voice overs from the t.o.s star wars cast it could be brilliant.

The Audio books for the Thrawn triliogy now have an adaption completely done by Mark Hammil under a pseudonym , cost a bit more, but is worth it.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I think the most important thing here is that George no longer has free license to keep fucking with the original films. Something people have been wanting for a long time. And now that George isn't calling the shots, the original un-tampered films can be released (like George said he would NEVER do) on DVD/BluRay.

I would like to have a DVD of the films (minus "NNNNOOOOOO", Hayden at the end of Jedi, etc) that is better quality than the old Laserdisc transfer they put on that one DVD set's bonus feature several years ago. Because that's all George was willing to give.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I would like to have a DVD of the films (minus "NNNNOOOOOO", Hayden at the end of Jedi, etc) that is better quality than the old Laserdisc transfer they put on that one DVD set's bonus feature several years ago. Because that's all George was willing to give.
    The most important thing that needs to be brought back is Yub Nub at the end of Jedi!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np6vAuS0KNs
    Jason P wrote:
    The most important thing that needs to be brought back is Yub Nub at the end of Jedi!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np6vAuS0KNs

Also the original song/scene from Jabba's palace, instead of that CGI band and lame song they added.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Abrams might be alright though he wouldn't be my choice either, but definitely not Nolan. He's a good director, but not for Star Wars. He's WAY too serious. Star Wars should be fun. Maybe not Jar Jar fun, but fun. I would vote for somebody like Peter Jackson, and having seen him on that History Channel show "Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed", he knows his Star Wars frontwards and backwards.
    I didn't realize that about Peter Jackson. He might be a good fit, though he might try to do TOO much while helming the franchise.
    Abrams might be alright though he wouldn't be my choice either, but definitely not Nolan. He's a good director, but not for Star Wars. He's WAY too serious. Star Wars should be fun. Maybe not Jar Jar fun, but fun. I would vote for somebody like Peter Jackson, and having seen him on that History Channel show "Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed", he knows his Star Wars frontwards and backwards.
    I didn't realize that about Peter Jackson. He might be a good fit, though he might try to do TOO much while helming the franchise.

Yeah, it's possible. I didn't like his version of King Kong, he did too much on that one I thought. I can't think of a director that wouldn't possibly do too much though. But George would have been the one that would have gone the furthest, so just about anybody (save for Michael Bay) would probably be an improvement. I just think Jackson has the right mind-set to keep it fun, but you're correct he might get carried away with the scope of it.
    Yeah, it's possible. I didn't like his version of King Kong, he did too much on that one I thought. I can't think of a director that wouldn't possibly do too much though. But George would have been the one that would have gone the furthest, so just about anybody (save for Michael Bay) would probably be an improvement. I just think Jackson has the right mind-set to keep it fun, but you're correct he might get carried away with the scope of it.
    I agree that it's likely anyone would get carried away in creating it. I never saw Jackson's King Kong, so I can't comment on that, but I'm more than willing to accept him as a director of a new Star Wars if it comes down to it.
    I agree that it's likely anyone would get carried away in creating it. I never saw Jackson's King Kong, so I can't comment on that, but I'm more than willing to accept him as a director of a new Star Wars if it comes down to it.

I saw it in the theater. There was one extended special effects/chase sequence that must have lasted 10 minutes. I got bored and went outside for a cigarette, when I came back the same scene was still going on. My friend I saw it with thought it was great though. So who knows.
    How about the guy that directed Looper?
    Rian Johnson? He's definitely demonstrated that he can translate his large-scale ideas onto the big screen, and he wouldn't be hampered by everyone's expectations from his past works.
  • What about Silent Bob? I think he's a big Star Wars fan....Kinda not kidding :mrgreen:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Kevin Smith is a massive (no pun), Star Wars fan. I don't see him being a good fit for directing, but the reverence he holds for the holy trilogy I could see him having some role in the production. Doubt Disney would accept him though.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    What about Silent Bob? I think he's a big Star Wars fan....Kinda not kidding :mrgreen:

i would give kevin smith a shot ... :lol:
  • Yeah, its not really his style, but maybe that's what they need to get away from the over used CGI and really terrible dialog and acting in the 3 prequels. Then again, the dialog in the orignal 3 movies was pretty bad in places, but it seemed to work somehow. Yeah, my vote is for Silent Bob. 8-)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    How about Seth McFarland?
    Or a Seth Macfarlane/Seth Green collaboration? They've more than proven themselves to be huge Star Wars geeks.
    This one is pretty funny, even though the It's A Trap meme is kind of played out...

disney-star-wars-meme.jpg
  • Or a Seth Macfarlane/Seth Green collaboration? They've more than proven themselves to be huge Star Wars geeks.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like those two as much as the next guy and really, really enjoyed Robot Chicken's Star Wars trilogy (Family Guy's was kinda lame). Don't let the Seth McFarlanes and Kevin Smiths of the world anywhere near this. Give it to the professionals who write the hundreds upon hundreds of Star Wars novels, comics, etc. And as for directors, I'd love to see someone like Robert Zemeckis. He's a story-teller first and special effects dork second. Guys like Michael Bay who are the other way around won't work. The prequel trilogy showed that no matter how cool it looks, if the story and characters suck, the movie sucks.

Anyway, here's a somewhat funny video that Disney has put out welcoming Darth Vader to the Magic Kingdom. Like many Star Wars dorks, I was apprehensive yesterday when the news broke, but I guess it's good to see it out of George Lucas' hands. And I'm not a Lucas hater. I don't care how bad the prequel were, he'll always have that first trilogy (the first movie in particular) to point to as a masterpiece. But his days are behind him, and selling the franchise was the right move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... UbH1SEsqiE
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    whatever they do with it, please tone down the cgi if at all possible.

every time i stumble upon one of prequels on tv, i can't help but feel like i'm watching a cartoon.

chris nolan needs to get involved :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    i am half excited, half scared.

as mentioned earlier in this thread, and i agree... george had too many hands in the pot, too many different visions, too many different directions. if disney really grabs this thing and goes in one specific direction, this can be absolutely spectacular.

i was a HUGE fan of the reboot disney gave TRON, i am hoping they can do the same exact thing for the star wars franchise.

other side of the coin... scared that they will be too focused on a CGI cluster fuck, animation style star wars similar to what 'clone wars' is on cartoon network.

either way, star wars > no star wars.
    Or a Seth Macfarlane/Seth Green collaboration? They've more than proven themselves to be huge Star Wars geeks.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like those two as much as the next guy and really, really enjoyed Robot Chicken's Star Wars trilogy (Family Guy's was kinda lame). Don't let the Seth McFarlanes and Kevin Smiths of the world anywhere near this.
    http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

don't worry, I'm in no way serious about the Seth connection taking over the franchise. There are much better options for sure.
  • Dancing JarJar in the Disney Parade.

Please just kill me before that happens.
  • OK... so...

I was one of the biggest Star Wars fans in the world.

And then... I booked the day off and went to see Star Wars for the 10AM show the day it opened. I remember sitting in the theater so excited for the first minute or so. And then... those two rubber-faced Asian caricature things appeared and Queen Padme robotically looking at the screen and speaking in that goofy low voice... And Liam Neeson reciting dialogue like he was reading it for the first time. Within 5 minutes, JarJar was on screen and it was like seeing a creepy clown before he raped my entire childhood.

by the time I heard Anakin squealing "Whoopeee!!!" I knew it was over.

And although I thought they really tried to rescue it with the second movie, with the wretched script and "acing" from Hayden Christiansen, C3P0 saying things like "This is such a drag" and R2D2 flying... it wasn't successful.

The third movie had no story.. at all. There was a vague sort of plot like in a video game but it was just there to give excuses for toy commercial "action" sequences. More cringe-worthy than anything. And that bit with Darth Vader appearing at the end and getting all whiney and saying "NOOOOO!!!!!" just made me hang my head in shame.

I saw those movies out of some morbid curiosity. But I don't plan on bothering with any more star wars movies.
    OK... so...

I was one of the biggest Star Wars fans in the world.

And then... I booked the day off and went to see Star Wars for the 10AM show the day it opened. I remember sitting in the theater so excited for the first minute or so. And then... those two rubber-faced Asian caricature things appeared and Queen Padme robotically looking at the screen and speaking in that goofy low voice... And Liam Neeson reciting dialogue like he was reading it for the first time. Within 5 minutes, JarJar was on screen and it was like seeing a creepy clown before he raped my entire childhood.

by the time I heard Anakin squealing "Whoopeee!!!" I knew it was over.

And although I thought they really tried to rescue it with the second movie, with the wretched script and "acing" from Hayden Christiansen, C3P0 saying things like "This is such a drag" and R2D2 flying... it wasn't successful.

The third movie had no story.. at all. There was a vague sort of plot like in a video game but it was just there to give excuses for toy commercial "action" sequences. More cringe-worthy than anything. And that bit with Darth Vader appearing at the end and getting all whiney and saying "NOOOOO!!!!!" just made me hang my head in shame.

I saw those movies out of some morbid curiosity. But I don't plan on bothering with any more star wars movies.

hence the consensus that lucas has to let it go ... i read that apparently the new movies will be original stories ... i think most fans of the books are not going to like hearing that ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    hence the consensus that lucas has to let it go ... i read that apparently the new movies will be original stories ... i think most fans of the books are not going to like hearing that ...
    I read that they'll be original stories based on Lucas' original concept notes. It's probably better this way, because if they tried to adapt any of the novels, invariably things would get omitted/lost in translation. To me, original stories is the only way to go in order to appease everyone.
    What Hollywood goof ball with no acting chops do you think they will cast for Skywalker?

Oh shit ... I just thought of Ashton Kutcher! :shock:
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Jason P wrote:
    What Hollywood goof ball with no acting chops do you think they will cast for Skywalker?

Oh shit ... I just thought of Ashton Kutcher! :shock:

Yeah and get Kevin J Anderson to write it. :| Fuckin Christ, like he didn't rape my childhood enough.
    i lament the passing of yoda ... to me the single most awesome bad-ass character ever created in movies ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    i lament the passing of yoda ... to me the single most awesome bad-ass character ever created in movies ...

Yoda was the wisest character ever put to film. In the original trilogy that is.

"Do or do no. There is no try"

"Oh, great warrior. Wars not make one great"

"Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."