99 Problems....PJ w/Jay-Z

Comments

• What, did you think Jay-Z was gonna sing Last Kiss????
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • dunkman wrote:
    i'm surprised the band do a song that involves niggas, hoes, bitches and pussy

I mean Stone gets upset about salmon not being able to swim or something, but he plays on a song that calls women pussies/hoes?

weird.

next festival performance is with 2 Live Crew apparently

The language is pretty obscene but I think the underlying meaning of the song and the story within lines up pretty exact with WMA (racist cops)

exactly
    "All the things that others want for me.. can't buy what I want because it's free!"

9/13/2005 Hamilton, ON; 9/19/2005 Toronto, ON; 5/10/2006 Toronto, ON; 6/23/2006 Pittsburgh, PA; 8/5/2007 Chicago, IL; 6/24/2008 New York, NY; 6/25/2008 New York, NY; 8/21/2009 Toronto, ON; 8/23/2009 Chicago, IL; 8/24/2009 Chicago, IL; 5/9/2010 Cleveland, OH; 5/10/2010 Buffalo, NY; 5/20/2010 New York, NY; 5/21/2010 New York, NY; 9/3/2011 Alpine Valley, WI; 9/4/2011 Alpine Valley, WI; 9/11/2011 Toronto, ON; 9/12/2011 Toronto, ON; 9/15/2011 Hamilton, ON; 9/2/2012 Philadelphia, PA; 10/12/2013 Buffalo, NY; 10/18/2013 Brooklyn, NY; 10/19/2013 Brooklyn, NY; 10/17/2014 Moline, IL; 10/20/2014 Milwaukee, WI; 4/18/2016 Hampton, VA; 4/21/2016 Columbia, SC; 5/1/2016 New York, NY; 5/2/2016 New York, NY; 8/20/2016 Chicago, IL; 8/22/2016 Chicago, IL
  • -Emma--Emma- Posts: 2,864
    I'm sure you all cry when you hear Ed sing "Who set the standard, born to be rich? Such fine examples, skinny little bitch" Or when he told a girl she had mosquito bite tits in Hershey?

I'm pretty sure the "skinny little bitch" is meant ironically and the mosquito bite incident, ah well, that has been debated to death... I still remember the conversations going back and forth... The comments were harsh, but there is also something demeaning about a woman showing her tits the whole time...

That all said, after read this thread, I do believe that lyrics of 99 are indeed about profiling - which is an interesting take...

I'd never heard of the mosquito bite incident, so I looked it up on youtube. :shock:
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • meme wrote:
    klusterfuk wrote:
    sorry I don't dig the jay z thing.

I am kind of horrified, actually. Bitch? Really? From the guy who brought to us Daughter and Elderly Woman, and Breakerfall, and generally an amazing ability to express female feelings.

Horrified is it. Argue against me. I wish I could make light of it but it really bothers me.

Who made who made up made up the myth
    That we were born to be covered in bliss?
    Who set the standard, born to be rich?
    Such fine examples, skinny little bitch
    Model, role model, roll some models in blood
    Get some flesh to stick, so they look like us
    I shit and I stink, I'm real, join the club

Fuck me in the brain (2x)
    You fuckin' little cunt
    You're drivin' me insane
    Fuck me in the brain (2x)
    You're drivin' me, drivin' me insane

Fuck me in my life...hah...
    You wanted to be my wife, huh, huh, hah...
    Fuck me in my brain, fuck...
    I may be a...
    I don't beleive nothin',even if it's true, no

Fuck me, fuck me, in my brain
    Fuck me, my ears are open, in my brain
    Fuck me

You think I care
    'Bout those emotions you wear
    You think I care
    'Bout the way you wear your veil
    You think our love, huh
    Is so far above...oh...
    Fuck me (7x)
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • i do believe i remember on the hershey 03 boot that ed calls out a girl in the crowd calling her "a coked out whore bitch with mosquito bites for tits" or something like that... yet jay-z is so against women. PEOPLE its 2012 not 1800! WHO GIVES A FUCK?? honestly! this is like another person said, about the unity of all sorts of music, races, and creeds that were made in AMERICA, the most diverse country in the world. Jay is a lot smarter then many think. sure, he has songs about flossing, wealth bragging, and baggin' hoes... but he also has super intelligent intellectual songs and he always explains why he says the things he does...prisoner of circumstance etc... also, as a white kid in college, guess what ladies, no disrespect, but me and my friends say "bitches" sometimes. go ahead, kill me, we are a disgrace now. :lol: it's truly comical. i treat women just fine, but being young and hitting bars and trying to pick up girls, lingo like that comes out. also, listen to "bitches and sisters" by jay and you will CLEARLY understand the difference when he speaks. if you are that offended by him referencing a "bitch" then you probably are one. other wise, shut up and enjoy the god damn music. the boys from pj have always supported rap, in fact, even more intense violent rap such as ice cube. it's great to see this diversity and understanding of cultures. i'm sick of hard core black rap fans looking at people like pj and saying "old corny hags" and i'm sick of white hardcore rock fans who have morals so intense that they are blinding looking at people like jay and saying "terrible, womanizing criminal". it's ALL MUSIC. it's ALL ART. it all has a deeper meaning and has moved many people all over the world. I for one am PROUD to say i love all sorts of rock and all sorts of rap... a diverse musical taste and i know talent when i see it. this performance was totally cool and a lot of fun... get out of 94 and stop worrying about company sponsored festivals and shit like that. enjoy what pearl jam is playing for you with every ounce of energy they have.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • -Emma--Emma- Posts: 2,864
    i do believe i remember on the hershey 03 boot that ed calls out a girl in the crowd calling her "a coked out whore bitch with mosquito bites for tits" or something like that...

Here it is on youtube...Ed's language wasn't quite as colourful as that, but he certainly got his point across!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLHTfKueFL4
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    I for one, and a few ppl in my little circle up front there, had no clue what this song was
    and despite the fame and fortune, i really don't care to learn it
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,139
    Bitches be trippin
  • StillHere wrote:
    I for one, and a few ppl in my little circle up front there, had no clue what this song was
    and despite the fame and fortune, i really don't care to learn it
    Never have heard of 99 Problems doesn't make you look cool.
    It makes you look like you lack in the "general knowledge" department.

Bad film (RIP Tony Scott), but I love this intro:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4awJwmYVas
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • boyo79boyo79 Posts: 6,525
    Stop acting like pearl jam and yourself are too above everyone.

Therein lies the problem. There is far too many people on here who genuinely believe Pearl Jam is above everyone else and therefore they are too. I love reading the comments by fans saying how ignorant people are who don't like or know PJ. Why? The same people saying that are completely ignorant to other acts that performed in Philly over the weekend. The same people that jump on anyone who slates PJ but then are quick to slate bands they don't like. Pearl Jam and Vedder are not holier than thou and some people on here need to realize that. Pearl Jam are a great fucking rock band and my favourite ever band but some people need a reality check. People moaning cos they did a song with Jay-Z or sold a coat that was made in China....please get a life.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    meme wrote:
    Free speech!!! Constitution!!!

Right?

Just spit it out. :fp: wtf does "right?" mean.

Well, it sounds like free speech and constitution only apply to people who agree with you? Don't I have a right to say I am horrified?
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,139
    meme wrote:
    :fp:

Well, it sounds like free speech and constitution only apply to people who agree with you? Don't I have a right to say I am horrified?
    You have the right the same way we have a right to say its ridiculous to be horrified
  • Judging by every PJ concert I've been to (17 in total), as one of the few "coloured" PJ fans, I thought the collab was great. I hear a TON of hip hop in PJ's music. From the beats, to the base riffs. I loved the Cypress Hill collab when I was in my teens.

When i heard PJ was playing MIA, I knew a collab would happen. At the end of the day, they were guests during the weekend, and the pressence of PJ at the festival accepting Jay-Z's invitation was a symbol of respect that both camps had for each other.

The performance between the two artists indicated that further.

As a "coloured" PJ fan, I appreciated it greatly!
    My 22 shows:
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Montreal, Toronto
    2000 - Montreal, Toronto
    2003 - Toronto, Montreal
    2004 - Boston I, Boston II
    2005 - Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa
    2013 - London, Seattle
    2016 - Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
  • I was there.
    The band seemed into it, bottome line, it was their decision to do it and I'm sure they
    all thought it was cool.
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need

• I don't normally voice my opinion on here. I only come on
    to post positive things about PJ but I have to say something else, hope this doesn't offend anyone :lol:

A lot of us on here have a huge age gap and all of us "older" folks on here seem to forget what it was like to be 20 again. People are arguing their point with a 20 some year old and it just doesn't work, they see life completely different then we do "thank god". I have to pick my battles with my 14 year old and realize sometimes he actually has more sense than I do :D
    Can't we all just respect that we are all different and what one person likes doesn't necessarily mean the other person has to. We all love PJ and that's a great thing, when I can stand next to a sweaty, drunk 20 year old kid and jump up and down screaming and singing and neither one of us judges the other. I just hear sooooo much negativity on this board and I can't quite understand why. They are the greatest band and because they give so much to us and we put them so high on a pedestal, the littlest thing they do wrong in our eyes we jump all over them....crazy :fp:
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need

• Some of you sound light headed. Maybe if you've been standing on your soapbox for too long you should come down cause the altitude is getting the best of your judgement.

Great collaboration. Amazing weekend.

POP POP!
    POP POP!
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Been a fan of Jay Z and Pearl Jam since the 90s. I Would have never thought my two favorite artists from two totally different Genre's would get together and Jam out. Only Disappointment I have is that I bitched out and didn't make the 4 hour drive.

Can't wait for the boot.
  • crusso wrote:
    When you're done over-analyzing the '99-problems' lyrics, you might want to check out the lyrics to "Real Thing".
    With the Pearl Jam and I'm packin' the steel
    Don't come my way, 'cause it only takes one minute to reach for the AK

I have to get something off my back here.

Why does it take B-Real a whole minute to reach for a gun? I mean, really. Stand in front of your fridge and try to take a whole minute to reach for your juice jug. Go on, try it.
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Pretty hard to stretch that out for an entire 60 seconds.

Come to think of it, it probably only took him 1 second; his perception was likely delayed by being completely burnt out on mary jane.

--

PJ + Jay-Z = Hilarious.

For the next Canadian tour, how about a jam with k-os or Maestro? That'd be bitchin'. 8-)
  • Not a rap or Jay-Z fan but it was awesome seeing it live because it was fun. Fun is good.
  • I don't normally voice my opinion on here. I only come on
    to post positive things about PJ but I have to say something else, hope this doesn't offend anyone :lol:

A lot of us on here have a huge age gap and all of us "older" folks on here seem to forget what it was like to be 20 again. People are arguing their point with a 20 some year old and it just doesn't work, they see life completely different then we do "thank god". I have to pick my battles with my 14 year old and realize sometimes he actually has more sense than I do :D
    Can't we all just respect that we are all different and what one person likes doesn't necessarily mean the other person has to. We all love PJ and that's a great thing, when I can stand next to a sweaty, drunk 20 year old kid and jump up and down screaming and singing and neither one of us judges the other. I just hear sooooo much negativity on this board and I can't quite understand why. They are the greatest band and because they give so much to us and we put them so high on a pedestal, the littlest thing they do wrong in our eyes we jump all over them....crazy :fp:

Too much of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=299e9I1CRCE

:lol:
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,026
    Enjoy yourselves bitches, its a celebration!
    Nature drunk and High
  • I already posted this under another topic, but I wanted to put in my two cents:

Jay Z is a lot smarter than you're giving him credit for. He knows that you'll automatically think that he's referring to a woman when he says, "bitch", but he's actually referring to a bitch - as in, a female dog. "We'll see how smart you are when the canines come. I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one." This isn't to say that he hasn't used derogatory language when describing women in the past (just listen to Big Pimpin'), but it is to say that he knows the listener is going to expect the worst from him and so he decides to outsmart them in this song. That's my take on it. Jay Z also replaced the word "bitch" with "bush" in live performances - as in, George W. Bush...it still hints at speaking derogatorily about women - does that offend anyone? If so, I'm glad you walked out on Bu$hleaguer in 2003 when Eddie Vedder impaled a mask of G.W.B.

Terry Gross (NPR/Fresh Air) did a great interview with him where he describes the storyline. I suggest you check it out: http://www.npr.org/2011/11/25/142506767 ... -interview

We all know that lyrics get deduced and taken out of context - it's happened with Pearl Jam hundreds of times. I think Jay Z is a really, really smart musician who is successful for a reason. Reading all of these posts makes me feel like I'm at the RNC. It's time to move forward.

Denver, Phoenix, Seattle, Seattle, Seattle, Denver, Council Bluffs, Fargo, St. Paul, Chicago, Seattle, Gorge, Denver, Denver, Portland, Gorge, Gorge, Seattle, Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, Vancouver, Seattle
  • YLed2YLed2 Posts: 5,534
    sk8nshoot1 wrote:
    What, did you think Jay-Z was gonna sing Last Kiss????

:lol:
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• pjl44 wrote:
    So many grumps. You're watching a low quality video clip and it looks like everyone involved was having a lot of fun. Relaaaaaaax. I would've loved to have seen it live.

I hate "this" so:

Well. Fucking. Said.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,785
    pjl44 wrote:
    So many grumps. You're watching a low quality video clip and it looks like everyone involved was having a lot of fun. Relaaaaaaax. I would've loved to have seen it live.

i know you are not talking about my video clip :nono:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • SVRDhand13 wrote:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    So.... Do the people posting here prefer cheddar or provolone?

What are we eating?

I just figured it would go well with all the w(h)ine :lol:

1340060013522.jpg
  • I don't always listen to Pearl Jam, but when I do, I prefer them without a rapper.

Stay rocking my friends.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • The crowd was into it. To see it live was outstanding. The video does not do it justice. Methinks some peeps need to get laid a bit more.
    Run for it, Marty.
  • c764470427f2e95138de8c3311df5c3a.jpg
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    The crowd was into it. To see it live was outstanding. The video does not do it justice. Methinks some peeps need to get laid a bit more.

yes
    yes
    yes
    YES!!!!!! :lol:
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17