99 Problems....PJ w/Jay-Z

Comments

• satansbed wrote:
    I'll just go back to listening to N.W.A and Wu-Tang Clan...

And ya'll think this song is offensive. :fp: :lol:

Haha wu tang clan ain't nothing to fuck with

Ol' Dirty Bastard, live and uncut. :lol:
  • satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,139
    satansbed wrote:
    I'll just go back to listening to N.W.A and Wu-Tang Clan...

And ya'll think this song is offensive. :fp: :lol:

Haha wu tang clan ain't nothing to fuck with

Ol' Dirty Bastard, live and uncut. :lol:

I have to add public enemy to that... Yeaaahhhh boiiiiii
  • satansbed wrote:
    I have to add public enemy to that... Yeaaahhhh boiiiiii
    Oh, of course
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,785

Holy crap :o , my video already has almost 50,000 views and not even a day old. If you click on the link it says, 7,181 but if you type in pearl jam jay z 99 problems it lists a whole bunch of videos and it says mine is at alomost 50k. My first "big" youtube video :corn:

I have the first 2:30 of WMA but noticed my battery was running low so I stopped. Then Jay-Z came on and turned it back on and bean recording. About a minute into Rockin' in the free world my battery died :|

Here's the beginning of WMA though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJjWJP4RGOs
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • For those of you who still don't believe Hip Hop and Rock can hang out together...

http://www.bellautomotive.com/Rock-N-Ri ... -s/114.htm

(I actually saw these in a store today and was tempted to buy a pair of Run DMCs!)
  • YLed2YLed2 Posts: 5,534
    Pretty fkn cool for those who were there.....extremely jealous. I was banging my head against the wall the entire night last night for not being there.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• moses-imoses-i Posts: 138
    smanchac1 wrote:
    Maybe think this through next time... Here is what you said

"Although the song is allegedly about being stopped by cops, the fact that he clearly says "if you're having GIRL problems...i got 99 problems but the BITCH ain't one" clearly suggests he's talking about a woman not a female dog. "

You wrote if your having girl problems... The lyrics you left out say "I feel bad for you son" which goes to show that the lyrics are coming from the cops point of view.

The lyrics are from the cops perspective, telling the person stopped by the police, that - if your having girl trouble I feel bad for you son, you've got 99 problems (as in w the police) but a bitch ain't one.

He also says "A" bitch not "the" bitch. Changes the meaning a lot.

I'll say what's classy, is you writing .., to omit the lyrics that prove its not about a girl but a cop telling The guy that girl problems aren't one of his 99 problems.

Now the fact that pj played one part of one song with jay z bothers me zero. I'm really glad WMA was played. The rest of the show looked great!

Ummm I cut those lyrics because I didn't think the whole quote was necessary. I wasn't intentionally trying to take the lyrics out of context. And explain to me how the line "I feel bad for you son" proves that it's about racial profiling and that it's taken from the perspective of the cops when all the verses are Jay-Z's perspective.

Look you guys can talk all you want about how he's a genius and a great guy but as a teacher who has to fight every day with the mentality that a) being "hard" and a gangster is cool and b) a person's value is measured solely by their wealth, I personally find the hero worship of Jay-Z ridiculous.

And to whoever said "why would you go to a Jay-Z festival if you are so offended by him?" well I didn't go-I have no idea where you got that from.

Finally, I don't quite understand why I get jumped all over just because I stated an opinion. I don't care if Pearl Jam performed with Jay-Z and I don't care that Jay-Z says bitch or whatever. I just don't buy that the HOOK is really about what he claims. More over, it is NOT racial profiling when you are a) speeding and b)admittedly carrying a ton of cocaine in your car. This song proves one thing-Jay-Z was very lucky not to get killed or thrown in jail (and if you know anything about his life, you know he narrowly escaped both these fates).
    if jah is the ship, we smile at the storm.
  • Bdog10Bdog10 Posts: 471
    This shit was epic! Period!

Jay Z also performed 99 problems with Phish back in 2004 in Brooklyn.
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
  • moses-imoses-i Posts: 138

LOL. You have to be kidding me.

First of all, if you are so offended by Jay Z, why would you even attend HIS festival?

Secondly - and more importantly - this song is just art. There is no need to take it for anything more than that. You can get on your pedestal and judge a TEENAGED Shawn Carter all you want, (while ignoring, for example, his concerts at MSG, where 100% of the proceeds went to families of firefighters who died on 9/11), but what the hell does that have to do with PJ simply performing a fun, cool song with him? I suppose you'd also be offended if Eddie watched The Godfather and it's glamorization of violence and organized crime.

Give me a break.

For the record, this performance kicked ASS. Dope as hell.

I didn't go to the show, so I don't know where you got that from. It's not just a teenaged Jay-Z, in 1999 (when he was already an adult and well known) he stabbed a guy for allegedly bootlegging his music. Apparently the only reason he didn't get arrested was because the wound turned out to fairly benign.

As far as judging his music-my whole point was that I don't much care for the subject matter at all. And I don't buy his explanation. I also listen to lots of reggae music which has been accused of extreme homophobia. Beenie Man tried to justify his lyrics AFTER the fact by saying the lyrics that referred to homosexuals were actually about pedophiles. I just don't care for this type of revisionism.

And as I said in an earlier response-if you saw the way that music like this totally warps the minds of kids these days (like I do), you might have a thing to say about it too. Artists should take their art seriously and think about what they are putting out there. Hip hop has in many ways lost all of it's soul (as has a lot of music).
    if jah is the ship, we smile at the storm.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    moses-i wrote:

LOL. You have to be kidding me.

First of all, if you are so offended by Jay Z, why would you even attend HIS festival?

Secondly - and more importantly - this song is just art. There is no need to take it for anything more than that. You can get on your pedestal and judge a TEENAGED Shawn Carter all you want, (while ignoring, for example, his concerts at MSG, where 100% of the proceeds went to families of firefighters who died on 9/11), but what the hell does that have to do with PJ simply performing a fun, cool song with him? I suppose you'd also be offended if Eddie watched The Godfather and it's glamorization of violence and organized crime.

Give me a break.

For the record, this performance kicked ASS. Dope as hell.

I didn't go to the show, so I don't know where you got that from. It's not just a teenaged Jay-Z, in 1999 (when he was already an adult and well known) he stabbed a guy for allegedly bootlegging his music. Apparently the only reason he didn't get arrested was because the wound turned out to fairly benign.

As far as judging his music-my whole point was that I don't much care for the subject matter at all. And I don't buy his explanation. I also listen to lots of reggae music which has been accused of extreme homophobia. Beenie Man tried to justify his lyrics AFTER the fact by saying the lyrics that referred to homosexuals were actually about pedophiles. I just don't care for this type of revisionism.

And as I said in an earlier response-if you saw the way that music like this totally warps the minds of kids these days (like I do), you might have a thing to say about it too. Artists should take their art seriously and think about what they are putting out there. Hip hop has in many ways lost all of it's soul (as has a lot of music).
    I actually hate hip hop and rap (except for a few Eminem songs because he gets so personal and hits on emotional topics). I Don't like the sound at all, and don't generally like the messages. I just thought it was neat to see PJ mix it up with JayZ because it's novel, and I like that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    klusterfuk wrote:
    sorry I don't dig the jay z thing.

I am kind of horrified, actually. Bitch? Really? From the guy who brought to us Daughter and Elderly Woman, and Breakerfall, and generally an amazing ability to express female feelings.

Horrified is it. Argue against me. I wish I could make light of it but it really bothers me.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,901
    I enjoyed that mash-up.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Complete utter shit.
    PJ will share the stage with anyone these days.
  • DPrival78DPrival78 Posts: 2,263
    I think hearing Eddie praise Kayne west is tougher to take than the jay-z collab.

glad I skipped this one.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • meme wrote:
    klusterfuk wrote:
    sorry I don't dig the jay z thing.

I am kind of horrified, actually. Bitch? Really? From the guy who brought to us Daughter and Elderly Woman, and Breakerfall, and generally an amazing ability to express female feelings.

Horrified is it. Argue against me. I wish I could make light of it but it really bothers me.

So, I was pretty astonished that Pearl Jam agreed to play a Budweiser-branded concert curated by a guy who uses the word bitch in his songs. I was really shocked when Jay Z joined them on stage and they performed that song togther/

I have been thinking about how to resolve Pearl Jam's stance on Women's rights and the performance of this song... I think where I've landed is that if you asked Eddie about it, I bet hew would tell you that Jay-Z is not part of the problem.

And I would guess that they've decided there are bigger fights to be had than to try to shun all corporate ties. Just not the most pressing matter, and you can't fight everything...

An inarguable truth is that the Pearl Jam from 20 years ago could never have imagined this scene last night.

I had an absolute blast yesterday. I think I heard the best version of Black that I've heard. Some girls next to us before the concert told us they were sure Jay Z would make an appearance. I told them they were nuts. Even made jokes about it during the show. Didn't get a chance to tell them I was wrong... It was a cool moment, and a fun performance, even if it gave me pause... both CAN be true. It was a great performance that I am glad I was lucky enough to witness, but it was also strange and I still wonder how Eddie and Stone settle the matter in their own heads.

Remember the New Years Eve boots where Eddie is cursing out Marky Mark for doing underwear ads? Yeah, different guy now. But so is Mark Wahlberg too.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,785
    it was something that will never happen again (like Bugs or Sweet Lew ;):lol: ). I thought the band was enjoying themselves. They looked like they were having a blast, especially Jeff and Stone, and I think that is what is most important.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • EPIC FAIL!
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    So.... Do the people posting here prefer cheddar or provolone?
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • SVRDhand13 wrote:

What are we eating?
  • was tellling my wife how wierd this collaboration was. I was not there, but oddly enough, for the past couple weeks I've been watching the Linkin Park/Jay-Z version of 99 problems! So obviously, I came to the conclusion that they did this for me.... :o
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • simpleman wrote:
    was tellling my wife how wierd this collaboration was. I was not there, but oddly enough, for the past couple weeks I've been watching the Linkin Park/Jay-Z version of 99 problems! So obviously, I came to the conclusion that they did this for me.... :o

:lol: :thumbup:
  • Obviously the fans who did not like this collab must not of like the judgment night score where pearl jam collab with cypress hill. Cypress makes jay z look like Michael Jackson....lol. It's art people, music is art. This fest was about unity in Philly the city of brotherly love. This was a diverse crowd, lots of black artist for the hip hop/black music lovers and artist mostly white people or non rap/hip hop fans that came to see pearl jam. Obviously every race likes one or the other genre and also both genres. This is something(collab w/rap) they have not done in a very long time and it was time to fuck it, and collab with worlds two biggest artists of two different genres to unite the races, creeds of the music lovers. To show diversity of America. There were no riots or fights or bullshit even though it was a huge mixed crowd. This proves why they would try this collab. I personally do not listen to jay z but I can appreciate him as an artist and a respected artist in the black community. "Bitches" doesn't always use this term for women, but men as well. If people hear are upset or disdained because of this word then I call you out!! You either said at least once in ur life or said it silently in ur head. I know I am not casting the first stone. Stop acting like pearl jam and yourself are too above everyone. The lyrics are not demeaning women. Do your research. Please do not renew your membership if you think they sold out or should have collabed with JZ. I want to move up the ladder in this club. Free speech!!! Constitution!!! I was at this show and have a new appreciation for Drake, JZ and PJ. The more swears and x rated the music, the more I know the first amendment is strong. Hit me!!!!!
    In my lifetime, I have conquered the Multiverse by force of trUth.
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    Free speech!!! Constitution!!!

Right?
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

What are we eating?

I just figured it would go well with all the w(h)ine :lol:
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Ummm I cut those lyrics because I didn't think the whole quote was necessary. I wasn't intentionally trying to take the lyrics out of context. And explain to me how the line "I feel bad for you son" proves that it's about racial profiling and that it's taken from the perspective of the cops when all the verses are Jay-Z's perspective.

Look you guys can talk all you want about how he's a genius and a great guy but as a teacher who has to fight every day with the mentality that a) being "hard" and a gangster is cool and b) a person's value is measured solely by their wealth, I personally find the hero worship of Jay-Z ridiculous.

And to whoever said "why would you go to a Jay-Z festival if you are so offended by him?" well I didn't go-I have no idea where you got that from.

Finally, I don't quite understand why I get jumped all over just because I stated an opinion. I don't care if Pearl Jam performed with Jay-Z and I don't care that Jay-Z says bitch or whatever. I just don't buy that the HOOK is really about what he claims. More over, it is NOT racial profiling when you are a) speeding and b)admittedly carrying a ton of cocaine in your car. This song proves one thing-Jay-Z was very lucky not to get killed or thrown in jail (and if you know anything about his life, you know he narrowly escaped both these fates).[/quote]

As a teacher who deals with kids mentalities should also know that if they have certain mindset, it's not because of JZ but because of their parents!!!! Don't blame JZ, don't blame Ozzy for having suicide thoughts. Being a teacher you should know and teach that role models come from homes not sports stars, movie stars or music stars but who raises you at home. So go back to school and send notes to the guardians of these children that their children have bad mindsets, or better yet......just blame JZ.
  • meme wrote:

Right?

Just spit it out. :fp: wtf does "right?" mean.
  • meme wrote:

Right?

What are you not American ?? What do your response mean?
  • Ha... Y'all n#$$@$ is craaazy. Dat shit was dope! Rockin in the FREE world.
    "It's so nice to hear that in other parts of the world, the stress- borne from envy- that one finds for themselves is the animosity they develop towards a person selling a box of records. How fortunate!" ~ Thirty Bills Unpaid

MLMF NYC
  • SVRDhand13 wrote:
    I like both rap and rock but usually hate when they're mixed. But IMHO last night was perfect. WMA was easily the best version I've ever heard and that beat flowed so well behind Jays verses. Couldn't be happier with that collab. I'm so happy I can appreciate different types of music, just like the band.

I was totally thinking the same thing about it being the best version of WMA that I've seen! They were fuckin on!!!! And I loveddd the collaboration!!! You could tell they were all having so much fun and the crowd was LOVING it! I went totally nuts when Jay-Z came out and I had such a blast.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    "All the things that others want for me.. can't buy what I want because it's free!"

9/13/2005 Hamilton, ON; 9/19/2005 Toronto, ON; 5/10/2006 Toronto, ON; 6/23/2006 Pittsburgh, PA; 8/5/2007 Chicago, IL; 6/24/2008 New York, NY; 6/25/2008 New York, NY; 8/21/2009 Toronto, ON; 8/23/2009 Chicago, IL; 8/24/2009 Chicago, IL; 5/9/2010 Cleveland, OH; 5/10/2010 Buffalo, NY; 5/20/2010 New York, NY; 5/21/2010 New York, NY; 9/3/2011 Alpine Valley, WI; 9/4/2011 Alpine Valley, WI; 9/11/2011 Toronto, ON; 9/12/2011 Toronto, ON; 9/15/2011 Hamilton, ON; 9/2/2012 Philadelphia, PA; 10/12/2013 Buffalo, NY; 10/18/2013 Brooklyn, NY; 10/19/2013 Brooklyn, NY; 10/17/2014 Moline, IL; 10/20/2014 Milwaukee, WI; 4/18/2016 Hampton, VA; 4/21/2016 Columbia, SC; 5/1/2016 New York, NY; 5/2/2016 New York, NY; 8/20/2016 Chicago, IL; 8/22/2016 Chicago, IL
  • Obviously the fans who did not like this collab must not of like the judgment night score where pearl jam collab with cypress hill. Cypress makes jay z look like Michael Jackson....lol. It's art people, music is art. This fest was about unity in Philly the city of brotherly love. This was a diverse crowd, lots of black artist for the hip hop/black music lovers and artist mostly white people or non rap/hip hop fans that came to see pearl jam. Obviously every race likes one or the other genre and also both genres. This is something(collab w/rap) they have not done in a very long time and it was time to fuck it, and collab with worlds two biggest artists of two different genres to unite the races, creeds of the music lovers. To show diversity of America. There were no riots or fights or bullshit even though it was a huge mixed crowd. This proves why they would try this collab. I personally do not listen to jay z but I can appreciate him as an artist and a respected artist in the black community. "Bitches" doesn't always use this term for women, but men as well. If people hear are upset or disdained because of this word then I call you out!! You either said at least once in ur life or said it silently in ur head. I know I am not casting the first stone. Stop acting like pearl jam and yourself are too above everyone. The lyrics are not demeaning women. Do your research. Please do not renew your membership if you think they sold out or should have collabed with JZ. I want to move up the ladder in this club. Free speech!!! Constitution!!! I was at this show and have a new appreciation for Drake, JZ and PJ. The more swears and x rated the music, the more I know the first amendment is strong. Hit me!!!!!

YES YES YES YES A MILLION TIMES YES!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    "All the things that others want for me.. can't buy what I want because it's free!"

9/13/2005 Hamilton, ON; 9/19/2005 Toronto, ON; 5/10/2006 Toronto, ON; 6/23/2006 Pittsburgh, PA; 8/5/2007 Chicago, IL; 6/24/2008 New York, NY; 6/25/2008 New York, NY; 8/21/2009 Toronto, ON; 8/23/2009 Chicago, IL; 8/24/2009 Chicago, IL; 5/9/2010 Cleveland, OH; 5/10/2010 Buffalo, NY; 5/20/2010 New York, NY; 5/21/2010 New York, NY; 9/3/2011 Alpine Valley, WI; 9/4/2011 Alpine Valley, WI; 9/11/2011 Toronto, ON; 9/12/2011 Toronto, ON; 9/15/2011 Hamilton, ON; 9/2/2012 Philadelphia, PA; 10/12/2013 Buffalo, NY; 10/18/2013 Brooklyn, NY; 10/19/2013 Brooklyn, NY; 10/17/2014 Moline, IL; 10/20/2014 Milwaukee, WI; 4/18/2016 Hampton, VA; 4/21/2016 Columbia, SC; 5/1/2016 New York, NY; 5/2/2016 New York, NY; 8/20/2016 Chicago, IL; 8/22/2016 Chicago, IL