Options

Nick Cave thread

Comments

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    How do you interpret the new album cover?

Well hello :) I know that his wife is Susie Bick (who also appears on the cover of The best of Roxy Music) and I read a recent interview with NC where he says he doesn't love the picture. Apparently his wife was being photographed and he walked into the room.

Hello....been in the grasp of tax season for the past 6 weeks!

The photo makes it look as if he is ordering her into the bedroom!
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    RobbyD462 wrote:
    I have a good friend that is looking for a single ticket to the Vancouver show.
    Can anyone help her out?
    I sure we can work out either a Paypal or PJ Merch trade.(I gots some stuff.. ;) )

I hear it's tough to get tickets but I hope someone has an extra.
    It's April,6 at the Vogue.

PM if interested.
    I'm on the List and live on the "Island"
    Thanks for the help guys!

Any word on a single ticket?
    She would really appreciate it! ;)
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    How do you interpret the new album cover?

Well hello :) I know that his wife is Susie Bick (who also appears on the cover of The best of Roxy Music) and I read a recent interview with NC where he says he doesn't love the picture. Apparently his wife was being photographed and he walked into the room.

Hello....been in the grasp of tax season for the past 6 weeks!

The photo makes it look as if he is ordering her into the bedroom!
    I read the same as curlygirly, think it was in Rollingstone, It was a photoshoot at his place in Brighton and he walked in and the photographer shot the picture. It does look like he's ordering her to the bedroom haha, but I think he's just pulling the door shut behind him. Thing is, so she's just wandering around naked infront of a photographer...really?!

O-kaay...
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    curlygirly9curlygirly9 Vancouver, WA Posts: 1,872
    His wife is a model, so she is probably fine with nudity (obviously) :lol:
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • Options
    RobbyD462 wrote:
    RobbyD462 wrote:
    I have a good friend that is looking for a single ticket to the Vancouver show.
    Can anyone help her out?
    I sure we can work out either a Paypal or PJ Merch trade.(I gots some stuff.. ;) )

I hear it's tough to get tickets but I hope someone has an extra.
    It's April,6 at the Vogue.

PM if interested.
    I'm on the List and live on the "Island"
    Thanks for the help guys!

Any word on a single ticket?
    She would really appreciate it! ;)

No, sorry :( I feel for her though; I had a bitch of a time finding tickets. This is literally last minute. I really hope you find an extra :)
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • Options

True that. Nice work on the tickets to the NC gig......am very jealous! ;)
  • Options

on the bright side, at least she isn't wandering around nude in front of a photographer at some walmart photo studio! Clean-up in all aisles! :fp: :nono:
  • Options
    Have I got an amazing story for you all! Ok, First, The Show: AMAZING!! I forgot how great the sound is at the Paramount, and pair that with how great Nick and the boys sound live: Outstanding, and great set. Started off with several new songs, then NC love songs solo on piano (my favorite), and then The Bad Seeds killed it at the end with their heaviest songs. (Stagger Lee!!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_YhNlxJgDo

Setlist:
    We No Who U R
    Jubilee Street
    Wide Lovely Eyes
    Higgs Boson Blues
    From Her to Eternity
    Red Right Hand
    Deanna
    Jack the Ripper
    Love Letter
    People Ain't No Good
    No More Shall We Part
    The Weeping Song
    Mercy Seat
    Stagger Lee
    Tupelo
    Push the Sky Away

Hmm, what else? Oh yeah, I FUCKING MET NICK CAVE, HE TOOK PHOTOS WITH ME, SIGNED MY BOOK, AND KISSED ME!

Here's what happened: My friend Cara and I waited outside for 2 hrs. in the freezing cold, being harassed by drunk guys, with maybe 15-20 fans, and the security kept coming out and telling us it was going to be a while because there was an after show/meet and greet. Finally, a man came out and confirmed that Nick would be signing autographs, etc. but wouldn't be out for another half hour-45 mins. No problem.

I brought my copy of Nick's first novel And The Ass Saw The Angel for him to sign, but was really hoping for a photo, but was afraid to ask, so I was going to have Cara ask him for a photo of us maybe, and just played it by ear. When Nick finally came out, I had a mild heart attack. He immediately started grabbing fans and taking pictures like the badass he is. The fans were so friendly and generous by taking turns taking other people's photos for them, etc. and when it was our turn, Cara (who is now a fan btw) handed her phone to someone to take the picture, and we ran up to Nick in a group hug. He saw my book, and said "Would you like me to sign that for you?" I said "Yes, please!" and told him it was the first book to make me cry, and how beautiful it was. He seemed surprised, and said, "Yeah?" I said, "yeah." We took two pictures; He looks miserable, but was an absolute sweetheart and made sure everyone's photos turned out. He asked if it was ok, and we said yes. I said, "Thank you so much!" and as I was pulling away from him to give someone else a turn, he leaned over and kissed my head, and said goodbye. I died. I'm dead right now. I met Nick Cave at 1am this morning.

4a0117cb-9887-4fda-bda6-ac511dee752e_zps3667c317.jpg

f01e5729-7dc8-45a7-b291-b3cbee8f8478_zpscea8c2ed.jpg

4274f7c7-a95d-44d9-b744-591dd8006d87_zps5385ad8a.jpg

6ed29431-986f-4c88-8ffc-091f2962d81d_zpsb6afd803.jpg
  • Options
    Thats a fucking cool-ass story curlygirly! Nice work on waiting out in the cold for the man, I'm a big fan too, but I know I wouldn't have waited like that and got my ass home. Kudo's to you and your friend! I had to laugh too... He seemed surprised, and said, "Yeah?" I said, "yeah." That cracked me up! :thumbup:
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    edited April 2013
    Congrats curlygirly9!!! YAY you!! :D

e.t.a. wish he was coming to NZ while touring the new album(or his Oz shows weren't just 2 weeks off when I was there last month). :cry:
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    :clap::clap::clap:

That's really awesome. He seems like an approachable guy towards his fans. Roll on October :D
  • Options
    :D Thanks Everyone! I'm over the moon about it. I keep annoying everyone I know with, "remember when I met Nick Cave, and he took pics with me, signed, my book, and kissed me?, Hey! Did I tell you about how I met Nick Cave less than 48 hours ago, etc. etc." :lol:
  • Options
    reesdog wrote:
    Thats a fucking cool-ass story curlygirly! Nice work on waiting out in the cold for the man, I'm a big fan too, but I know I wouldn't have waited like that and got my ass home. Kudo's to you and your friend! I had to laugh too... He seemed surprised, and said, "Yeah?" I said, "yeah." That cracked me up! :thumbup:

:lol: It was deep! No seriously, I think that's why he kissed me. He seemed genuinely surprised that I loved his novel, for some reason. Either way, it was as good a conversation as I could have hoped for with Nick Cave 8-)
  • Options
    -Buru--Buru- Santa Barbara, CA Posts: 1,292
    Nick Cave is disturbing, but yet I love his work... In his last (brilliant) album, Jubilee street has perhaps one of the most disturbing lines (to me): I got a fetus on a leash.

Baby and umbilical chord is one thing, fetus and leash changes the interpretation completely. A very powerful (and disturbing) use of words, in my opinion. His visceral interpretation probably makes his songs even more powerful, and sometimes more disturbing.

This from the same man that wrote Into my Arms, but also Stagger Lee. The same man who obsessed over a girl in From Her to Eternity, and also used Hannah Montana as a symbol/image of modern day society in his phenomenal song Higgs Boson Blues. Did I say that I love Push the Sky Away? Let me say it again, it is BRILLIANT. If all musicians aged as well...

I guess I am currently re-obsessed with Cave (having just seen him at Nashville in mid March, and Coachella, this weekend), and pretty much think everyone should see one of his live performances. Fan or not. :lol:

I was surrounded by non-fans in Coachella, as in no idea who he was :? I am not sure they appreciated him or the Bad Seeds, but they will definitely remember that show!
    I am just a dreamer, but you are just a dream...
    If I knew where it was I would take you there.

• Options
    -Buru--Buru- Santa Barbara, CA Posts: 1,292
    reesdog wrote:

:lol: It was deep! No seriously, I think that's why he kissed me. He seemed genuinely surprised that I loved his novel, for some reason. Either way, it was as good a conversation as I could have hoped for with Nick Cave 8-)

I have not read it yet. But from what I heard, it was not very well received by the critics.
    Maybe that is why he was surprised!
    I am just a dreamer, but you are just a dream...
    If I knew where it was I would take you there.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    Just noticed your post, curlygirly9. Fantastic! Great story! :clap: :thumbup:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    indeed. rad!!
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    Have I got an amazing story for you all! Ok, First, The Show: AMAZING!! I forgot how great the sound is at the Paramount, and pair that with how great Nick and the boys sound live: Outstanding, and great set. Started off with several new songs, then NC love songs solo on piano (my favorite), and then The Bad Seeds killed it at the end with their heaviest songs. (Stagger Lee!!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_YhNlxJgDo

Setlist:
    We No Who U R
    Jubilee Street
    Wide Lovely Eyes
    Higgs Boson Blues
    From Her to Eternity
    Red Right Hand
    Deanna
    Jack the Ripper
    Love Letter
    People Ain't No Good
    No More Shall We Part
    The Weeping Song
    Mercy Seat
    Stagger Lee
    Tupelo
    Push the Sky Away

Hmm, what else? Oh yeah, I FUCKING MET NICK CAVE, HE TOOK PHOTOS WITH ME, SIGNED MY BOOK, AND KISSED ME!

Here's what happened: My friend Cara and I waited outside for 2 hrs. in the freezing cold, being harassed by drunk guys, with maybe 15-20 fans, and the security kept coming out and telling us it was going to be a while because there was an after show/meet and greet. Finally, a man came out and confirmed that Nick would be signing autographs, etc. but wouldn't be out for another half hour-45 mins. No problem.

I brought my copy of Nick's first novel And The Ass Saw The Angel for him to sign, but was really hoping for a photo, but was afraid to ask, so I was going to have Cara ask him for a photo of us maybe, and just played it by ear. When Nick finally came out, I had a mild heart attack. He immediately started grabbing fans and taking pictures like the badass he is. The fans were so friendly and generous by taking turns taking other people's photos for them, etc. and when it was our turn, Cara (who is now a fan btw) handed her phone to someone to take the picture, and we ran up to Nick in a group hug. He saw my book, and said "Would you like me to sign that for you?" I said "Yes, please!" and told him it was the first book to make me cry, and how beautiful it was. He seemed surprised, and said, "Yeah?" I said, "yeah." We took two pictures; He looks miserable, but was an absolute sweetheart and made sure everyone's photos turned out. He asked if it was ok, and we said yes. I said, "Thank you so much!" and as I was pulling away from him to give someone else a turn, he leaned over and kissed my head, and said goodbye. I died. I'm dead right now. I met Nick Cave at 1am this morning.

4a0117cb-9887-4fda-bda6-ac511dee752e_zps3667c317.jpg

f01e5729-7dc8-45a7-b291-b3cbee8f8478_zpscea8c2ed.jpg

4274f7c7-a95d-44d9-b744-591dd8006d87_zps5385ad8a.jpg

6ed29431-986f-4c88-8ffc-091f2962d81d_zpsb6afd803.jpg

Such a great description of what was clearly a very thrilling experience! Well done!
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Curlygirly that's an ace story! So happy for you!! :D
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    "NICK CAVE’S AMAZING LECTURE ON SONGWRITING: ‘THE SECRET LIFE OF THE LOVE SONG’"
    http://dangerousminds.net/comments/nick ... _love_song
    48 mins long but I'm 6mins in now & it's been mostly music, different versions of songs, so far.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Having a 100% Nick Cave day at work. So far have gotten through The Good Son, Your Funeral My Trial, From Her To Eternity, Push The Sky Away and Tender Prey. Next up The Boatmans Call and Murder Ballads followed by Abattoir Blues/Lyre Of Orpheus. God damn I love my job! Can't wait to see him again in November... :D
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    veddertown wrote:
    Having a 100% Nick Cave day at work. So far have gotten through The Good Son, Your Funeral My Trial, From Her To Eternity, Push The Sky Away and Tender Prey. Next up The Boatmans Call and Murder Ballads followed by Abattoir Blues/Lyre Of Orpheus. God damn I love my job! Can't wait to see him again in November... :D
    :clap::clap::clap: Cool thing veddertown. I hope he pops over to NZ next time he does some touring in Oz for sure. We're well overdue for some NC&tBS here.
    <hr>
  • Options
    veddertown wrote:

You must have a pretty sweet job if they allow Murder Ballads to be played! :lol: :thumbup:
  • Options
    -Buru- wrote:
    This from the same man that wrote Into my Arms, but also Stagger Lee.

Nope. Stagger Lee is a cover. Old as hell.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    -Buru- wrote:
    This from the same man that wrote Into my Arms, but also Stagger Lee.

Nope. Stagger Lee is a cover. Old as hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TT1gFqxN84
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCPutYaGFlE
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    How about a Birthday Bump for Mr. Cave? Happy Birthday, Sir.

A few of my favorite performances:

Covers of Pulp's Disco 2000 (Bad Cover Version)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIaxXXqT ... M2NNE5HcBQ

Mack The Knife
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3_2zbZw ... M2NNE5HcBQ

John The Revelator
    http://youtu.be/uPmacnYVb6A

Gorgeous, Your Funeral, My Trial
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml7b8_tq ... M2NNE5HcBQ
  • Options
    My friend has a spare ticket for 1st November in Edinburgh if anyone is interested?

Also my Manchester ticket arrived today, so excited for my first Cave show :D
  • Options
    My friend has a spare ticket for 1st November in Edinburgh if anyone is interested?

Also my Manchester ticket arrived today, so excited for my first Cave show :D

I hope someone snatches up that ticket; I wish I could! Let us in on a review after your show! Also, here's exciting news for Black Friday:
    http://m.tinymixtapes.com/news/nick-cav ... live-album
    :D
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Looking forward to grabbing his live LP on RSD!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Looking forward to grabbing his live LP on RSD!
    I'm very much hoping to get this one too. Portland better get a few of them then. ;)8-):lol:
    <hr>