Options

Pearl Jam to play Oracle OpenWorld

1222324252628»

Comments

• Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,478
    Wait just a minute - I think I've misunderstood something here...Pearl Jam is NOT playing a private show for that lady from the Matrix?

TheMatrixTheOracle-thumb-330x289-64050.jpg

Whoa! There is no spoon?
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    honest question to anyone:

do you still love the band's music, and if so:

can this alone make you not listen to them anymore?

or are you a lover of ten through binaural and this just makes it easier to cut the cord?

I will always love the bands music but I have been increasingly disliking the route they have been taking with various issues and this most recent development has only afforded me the final decision that I will not be renewing this year.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    jordan kjordan k Posts: 196
    Heres the thing I dont understand: Why begrudge the band from making a few bucks?
    Key Arena - Nov 05 2000, General Motors Place - May 30 2003, General Motors Place - Sep 02 2005, Canada Olympic Park - Aug 08 2009,Key Arena - Sep 22 2009, GM Place - Sep 25 2009, The O2 - Jun 22 2010, Odyssey Arena - Jun 23 2010, Hyde Park - Jun 25 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011, Scotiabank Saddledome - Sep 21, 2011, Rexall Place - Sep 23, 2011, Pacific Coliseum - Sep 25, 2011, Portland OR 11-29-2013, Spokane WA 11-30-2013, Vancouver BC 12-04-2013, Seattle WA 12-06-2013, Toronto ON 05-10-2016, Toronto ON 05-12-2016, Seattle WA 08-08-2018, Seattle 08-10-2018

EV Arlene Schnitzer Hall - July 14 2011, EV Benaroya Hall - July 16 2011

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,485
    In summation:

People who work in IT or with Oracle are not actual people. They are greedy for working in the computer industry. And the fact that they attend a conference for their jobs means they suck as human beings. And as such, they don't deserve to hear the awesomeness that is Pearl Jam.

Only those without jobs in IT, or those who work for charity should be allowed to enjoy Pearl Jams music. And Pearl Jam should only play charity shows for free, or play concerts where people foot the bill themselves, not where their bosses pay for it.

Got it.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    H.Chinaski wrote:
    i don't like this :nono:

if this won't get the band to back out of the show, i don't know what would!

lighten up people. it's a rock band that owes you nothing.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,552
    jordan k wrote:
    Heres the thing I dont understand: Why begrudge the band from making a few bucks?
    I dunno... I don't think i've seen anyone do that in this whole thread, so I guess the answer is: you don't.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    In summation:

People who work in IT or with Oracle are not actual people. They are greedy for working in the computer industry. And the fact that they attend a conference for their jobs means they suck as human beings. And as such, they don't deserve to hear the awesomeness that is Pearl Jam.

Only those without jobs in IT, or those who work for charity should be allowed to enjoy Pearl Jams music. And Pearl Jam should only play charity shows for free, or play concerts where people foot the bill themselves, not where their bosses pay for it.

Got it.

Oh don't forget the standard post you see on here all the time where if a 10club member won millions in a big lottery jackpot they would get Pearl Jam to play a private show for them. Somehow that is obviously OK to suggest that, but if an actual billionaire tries to do the same thing, for himself and his employees and business associates, this is bad.
  • Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    I LOVE THEM FOREVER.
    :ugeek:
    amy
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    This is all just the cycle of life with a bit of marketing thrown in.

In our twenties, we see injustice, greed and the destruction of the planet. We fight back.

Those with a stage have the ability to express these injustices and we the audience feel solace that we’re not the only ones and it draws us closer to “the band”. This is great marketing and has been used since the beginning or rock n roll as well as music since the beginning. Not that the bands don’t believe..they did and probably still do.

As we get older, see our friends die, realize our own mortality, that being comfortable is really fkn sweet and come to realize we can’t change the machine. We still care and will correct injustices when able just measure effort versus results.

In the end, we are lucky bastards that these humans are still playing, allowing us to relive our angst and enjoying some really great music.

Enjoy the ride.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    This is all just the cycle of life with a bit of marketing thrown in.

In our twenties, we see injustice, greed and the destruction of the planet. We fight back.

Those with a stage have the ability to express these injustices and we the audience feel solace that we’re not the only ones and it draws us closer to “the band”. This is great marketing and has been used since the beginning or rock n roll as well as music since the beginning. Not that the bands don’t believe..they did and probably still do.

As we get older, see our friends die, realize our own mortality, that being comfortable is really fkn sweet and come to realize we can’t change the machine. We still care and will correct injustices when able just measure effort versus results.

In the end, we are lucky bastards that these humans are still playing, allowing us to relive our angst and enjoying some really great music.

Enjoy the ride.
    Do people really want to relive their angst, and do so by listen to PJ? I'm seriously asking - I never felt angst for even a second when I was young in the 90s (I never felt that PJ was very angsty, despite the song lyrics... Nirvana was, and I never really loved them). I loved every fucking second of my youth in the 90s. So I don't know what it's like to relive angst or why anyone would want to do so.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    yeah maybe....some angst...some reliving the romance of the past
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    yeah maybe....some angst...some reliving the romance of the past...refered to the agnst of why people reject corporations...topic of most of the thread
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    So, who is going to start the ***Please Play Not For You At Oracle OpenWorld*** thread..... :?

Come on, it's a great song!! ;):D
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    veddertown wrote:
    So, who is going to start the ***Please Play Not For You At Oracle OpenWorld*** thread..... :?

Come on, it's a great song!! ;):D
    :lol:
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    One nice story out of this...My mother's work is sending her here and she called me today absolutely ecstatic that PJ is playing. She's hates her job and I always feel terrible about it. It truly blows...she works long hours in a cubicle, often on call all night and works the next day. It's miserable and exhausting for her. It pays ok, but nothing impressive- plus she's a single mother and homeowner so money is tight. She's a huge PJ fan though, 10c member, seen them 20+ times with me. Bummed she couldn't score an extra pass for myself, but she really deserves this and she's so happy.
    As corporate as this all appears, PJ is not selling songs to Oracle commercials. They were paid to play somewhere. That's what working musicians do. The attendees of this event will not all be scumbag rich CEOs. They are regular people who work with computers and whose company probably sponsored them.
  • Options
    BE9456BE9456 Posts: 145
    As corporate as this all appears, PJ is not selling songs to Oracle commercials. They were paid to play somewhere. That's what working musicians do. The attendees of this event will not all be scumbag rich CEOs. They are regular people who work with computers and whose company probably sponsored them.
    No, the CEOs have reserved boxes and seats. But yes, most of the attendees will be customers of Oracle.

Wonder if the "they are just being payed to play" excuse worked for Beyonce when she played for Ghadaffi.

Again, putting aside the corporate gig aspect, the thing that is pissing most of us off is that they are playing 2 US shows this year, and one is not for us.
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    I see 4 shows listed on the touring page (and this is not one of them).... but whatever... So you mean if this gig was somewhere in the mix of a 72-date tour, no one here would say a peep about this? So then it truly has nothing to do with the corporate-ness of this event, putting it aside or not.

Look, the band just isn't doing a US tour this year. We should have no expectation of a US tour this year or any year that isn't an album release year (or the following calendar year as was the case in Backspacer), and it seems pretty clear that the times of 72-date tours are over. They just did Europe... Ed's going on tour soon too.. Next year it might be something else, maybe they'll tour Antartica finally, who knows.... They're not ignoring their fans by any stretch. We'll get our US PJ tour in due time.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    BE9456 wrote:
    No, the CEOs have reserved boxes and seats. But yes, most of the attendees will be customers of Oracle.

Wonder if the "they are just being payed to play" excuse worked for Beyonce when she played for Ghadaffi.

Again, putting aside the corporate gig aspect, the thing that is pissing most of us off is that they are playing 2 US shows this year, and one is not for us.

Technically, neither one of them are for us. If Tester wasn't running for re-election or wasn't a friend of Jeff's they likely wouldn't be plaing Missoula at all this year.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Tboz51Tboz51 Posts: 2,808
    BE9456 wrote:

She played for Ghaddafi's sons the two butchers who are up for war crimes. Not to be squelching of your excellent point.

The Mod's of this site don't like these types of posts fyi.... (you know factual events that happened and can be vetted).
    Lionel Ritchie
    Nellie Furtado
    Jay-Z
    are all also known to play shows for million dollar pay days for murderers.

In fairness to Beyonce she did blame her handlers for this (because it is impossible for a grown person to actually take responsibility for their own actions) and donated the 2 million dollars (yes two separate concerts for his sons) to charity.

To date none of the other people have donated anything (on record).

Playing a corporate event for people who are not in their fan base for money is pathetic.

I will probably be banned for this post, but it will never change my opinion of these people who took money from the Ghadaffi sons who stole it from the Libyan people.

Look at my avatar, I want to find reason to believe that this isn't exactly what it is... in all these regards. But I can't be a hypocrite and lie to myself.

I hope D Flo and whoever sees the show enjoys their time.... But we must call this exactly what it is...

Here is the nice to women Khaddafi son article... http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/beyonce_sings_for_khadafy_CpEA6KZgpM5y5nV5mKZFEL

I stand corrected on Furtado...
    http://blog.music.aol.com/2011/09/28/nelly-furtado-donates-million-dollar-gaddafi-concert/
    "Honesty will always be construed as negative to a dumbass"
    :-)
  • Options
    teemanteeman Posts: 337
    Can't wait to rock out at this show in my $90 flannel shirt!
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,288
    Can't we let this one slide off the front page now? There's a new lumber jacket in the shop for everyone to bitch about instead...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    sheri zonasheri zona Makai Side Posts: 356
    Well, we can safely say the people attending this corp event most likely won't be singing all the riffs of Even Flow. I see a group of people who are 'going to check out pearl jam' at the conference. Half are excited, the other half are wearing their embroidered Oracle golf shirts, cup in hand, chatting and networking during the show. I've been to some of these and that's usually what ends up happening unfortunately.
    in an underwater nation...near chinamans hat
  • Options
    sheri zona wrote:
    Well, we can safely say the people attending this corp event most likely won't be singing all the riffs of Even Flow. I see a group of people who are 'going to check out pearl jam' at the conference. Half are excited, the other half are wearing their embroidered Oracle golf shirts, cup in hand, chatting and networking during the show. I've been to some of these and that's usually what ends up happening unfortunately.

I disagree

I went to see Barenaked Ladies at the PeopleSoft Conference years ago

you've got a venue full of people juiced up on free booze who will sing along to anything

granted - i don't think of Pearl Jam as a party band... but they put on a show so it will be fun
  • Options
    sheri zona wrote:

I disagree

I went to see Barenaked Ladies at the PeopleSoft Conference years ago

you've got a venue full of people juiced up on free booze who will sing along to anything

granted - i don't think of Pearl Jam as a party band... but they put on a show so it will be fun
    Your avatar is weirding me out for some reason. :lol:
  • Options
    teemanteeman Posts: 337
    sheri zona wrote:

I actually agree with this wholeheartedly.
  • Options
    Still would like some sort of explanation.
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    They don't owe you one
  • Options
    LloydXmas wrote:
    They don't owe you one
    Exactly.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:
    They don't owe you one
    Exactly.

No they don't owe me one. I said I would like to have one. Its a request. Get off your fucking pedestal.

So ri249107 posted in the setlist thread that,

"So this is only my second PJ concert (first time was in vienna 2006, such long time ago). I must say I was happy to see that the guys, although they felt the need to sort of apologize every once in a while for doing this kind of a show."

And jimed14 wrote,

"Green Disease was brilliantly placed within the set. A little joke for us PJ fans. Ed did state they were "getting paid" but said it was to fund other charitable projects the band supports (Perhaps making up for scoring a goose egg for the Montana Tester show? ) He did give a shout out to the Wounded Warrior program ... so, hopefully they saw a little action from tonight's proceeds as well."

Clearly this issue was not lost on the band or Ed. Green Disease was a nice wink wink gesture. Its good to know that the money went to charity, which is what I thought would happen.

Missoula was awesome. Met a lot of great people. Heres look forward to the next full tour.
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    First this. Now Wrigley :x