12 killed, 50 injured in Colorado theater

Comments

• mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    So now...does he get the death penalty...or live the next 50-60 years sleeping with one eye open?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    So now...does he get the death penalty...or live the next 50-60 years sleeping with one eye open?
    If one advocates the former (which I do), I'd say yeah.

He doesn't strike me as deserving of life, even if it's a "difficult" one.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    AMC chain of theaters now banning costumes at movie screenings. I can't blame them. ..PBM

yeah thatll sure fix the problem of gun violence. :roll:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • pandora wrote:
    like they are saying it could be - but i also agree with the doc that he just looks very tired --- if anyone has spent any time in jail - days feel like weeks - its long and draining and all you do is think. No matter how much you sleep you always feel tired and i imagine being in solitary and having to think about the fact the you just did something unthinkably stupid that didn't end the way you planned it makes it that much more exhausting
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    This guy is smart enough to know that hiding under the guise of mental illness would be his only defense if taken alive. And as a excelling student in neuroscience, it wouldn't be hard for him to try to pull it off. As calculated as his plan was, I believe it to be a plausible scenario ... just as plausible as mental illness itself from an armchair analysis.
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Jason P wrote:
    This guy is smart enough to know that hiding under the guise of mental illness would be his only defense if taken alive. And as a excelling student in neuroscience, it wouldn't be hard for him to try to pull it off. As calculated as his plan was, I believe it to be a plausible scenario ... just as plausible as mental illness itself from an armchair analysis.

He definitely is smart but definitely mentally ill in some way of course. I wonder if the people against the death penalty will stand up for him? I think he's too far gone and beyond mental help at this point.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

I read somewhere that Colorado does have a death penalty, but the last time someone was executed there it was 1977. If he does get the death penalty, he will most likely sit on death row until he dies.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    TMZ is reporting that Christian Bale is currently visiting the injured at the Aurora hospital :clap::clap::clap:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    pandora wrote:
    like they are saying it could be - but i also agree with the doc that he just looks very tired --- if anyone has spent any time in jail - days feel like weeks - its long and draining and all you do is think. No matter how much you sleep you always feel tired and i imagine being in solitary and having to think about the fact the you just did something unthinkably stupid that didn't end the way you planned it makes it that much more exhausting
    Very true. Appearance is one portion of a mental status exam. He could very well be mentally ill, and he very well could not. He could be exhausted, in shock, malingering or psychotic, or a combination of all 4. I'm sure they're already having him assessed. I'm interested in hearing the outcome and if there's been any prior interaction with the mental health system.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    tybird wrote:
    TMZ is reporting that Christian Bale is currently visiting the injured at the Aurora hospital :clap::clap::clap:
    I saw that. Very classy. :)

tybird wrote:
    I saw that. Very classy. :)

especially when he is doing it on his own 'personal time'. Warner Bros said they have nothing to do with the visit, and didn't even know about it.

Kudos to you Mr. Bale.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:
    Schizophrenics do this also, sleep the only peace...
    the mind so tired, as a rational mind can imagine. I have been wondering if he
    understands what he did and if they are drugging him.

I have not been watching
    but saw the story of the young man who covered his girl, told her everything would be ok,
    his last words, he died shielding her. He died a hero. She wishes she could save his life.

That is so wonderful and uplifting about Christian Bale.
    I have been thinking a lot about those involved in the movie.
    About all the heroes we see.
    Bale wasn't even in the US at the time - very cool for him to come and do this

• ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    What a lovely thing to do.... 8-)

295484_3772256098270_1476426085_n.jpg
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    What a lovely thing to do.... 8-)

295484_3772256098270_1476426085_n.jpg

:clap: was gonna post this (one of my friends posted it on facebook) :mrgreen:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=40041
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    The killer apparently sent a notebook with descriptions of what he was going to do to a professor ... and it sat in the mailroom for over a week ...

:(

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/25/exclusive-movie-massacre-suspect-laid-out-plans-in-package-mailed-to/
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Campaign mounts against mentioning Colorado shooting suspect's name
    By Molly Hennessy-Fiske, Los Angeles Times

July 25, 2012

AURORA, Colo. — Facing an audience of thousands gathered to remember victims of the deadly theater shooting here, Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper made a strategic choice: He didn't mention the suspect's name.

"In my house, we're just going to call him 'suspect A,'" Hickenlooper said.

The crowd burst into applause, cheering the governor's effort to join a growing campaign bent on redirecting public attention from the alleged shooter to those who were wounded and killed.

Some experts on mass shootings laud the effort and have even joined in, saying such killers — think Dylan Klebold at Columbine andSeung-Hui Cho at Virginia Tech — often hunger for notoriety.

"They want desperately to go down in infamy. Too often, we give them exactly what they crave," said Jack Levin, a sociology and criminology professor at Northeastern University who has tried not to name suspect James E. Holmesin interviews. Levin recalled interviewing Charles Manson, who called himself the most famous person in human history. "The sad fact is, that's only the slightest exaggeration."

The campaign against mentioning Holmes by name was started by the brother of one of the victims, 24-year-old Jessica Ghawi.

In the aftermath of the shooting, Jordan Ghawi, 26, of San Antonio became frustrated by how much of the news coverage focused on the 24-year-old Holmes.

"Let us remember the names of the victims and not the name of the coward who committed this act," Ghawi tweeted Friday afternoon.

The tweet went viral. When some Twitter followers noticed Holmes' name trending on Twitter — something Ghawi said bothered his mother — they started a campaign to promote Jessica's name instead.

On Sunday, Ghawi met with President Obama at an Aurora hospital, where the president was visiting victims and their families. Ghawi made his pitch to the president, and when Obama addressed the tragedy as he left the hospital, he did not say Holmes' name.

"It meant everything. This man is probably the loudest voice in the world." Ghawi said, "I'm just hoping we can hold the media to the same level of accountability."

Not long after the president's remarks, Hickenlooper made his reference to "suspect A" at the Sunday evening vigil.

"I love what the governor said," said Jacqueline Lader, who survived the shooting with her husband, Don, and a friend. "This individual did this for fame. Every mass shooter has done it for fame, and Gov. Hickenlooper said, 'I'm not going to say his name.'"

"He was a coward," her husband interjected. "He was studying to be a neuroscientist. There were many things he could have done. Instead, he took the easy way to make his name known."

Ghawi noticed that when Fox News host Mike Huckabee showed some documents concerning Holmes on his show, the name was blacked out.

Ghawi said CNN'sAnderson Cooper assured him he would try to minimize use of the suspect's name. On Monday, Cooper tweeted, "I have no intention of saying #AuroraShooting suspect's name tonight. Don't want to give him more attention than needed."

In a televised interview later Monday, Tom Teves, the father of shooting victim Alexander Teves, 24, challenged Cooper and other reporters to go a step further and ban the name the way some media refuse to show streakers at public events.

"I would like to see CNN come out with a policy that said, 'Moving forward, we're not going to talk about the gunman. What we're going to say is, a coward walked into a movie theater and started shooting people. He's apprehended. The coward's in jail,' " Teves said, suggesting people could boycott those who still mentioned Holmes by name.

Mary Muscari, an associate professor of forensic nursing who studied mass killings and teaches at Binghamton University in New York and Regis University in Denver, said she liked the idea of refusing to give suspects in mass killings the attention they crave. But she also said she understood why attention focuses on killers, because "people want to put a face to evil."

Levin noted that most mass killers target coworkers or classmates. Indiscriminate, public shootings are more rare, he said, about 16% of all mass shootings.

"The dramatic nature of the attack makes me believe he was trying to maximize not only the body count, but the publicity," Levin said of the Colorado gunman.

Mass killers often want to outdo previous killers. Cho, the Virginia Tech shooter, even paused during his rampage to mail photos of himself to NBC.

Keeping Holmes' name out of news accounts will not be easy.

Dave Perry, editor of the Aurora Sentinel, defended the paper's use of Holmes' name in a Tuesday column:

"There's a name for catastrophe in Aurora. It's James Eagan Holmes. It's not, 'The Suspect,' 'The Shooter,' 'Suspect A,' or 'He Who Shall Not Be Named,' as a growing number of people are insisting.... Every person who is clamoring to strike his photo from news coverage of the tragedy couldn't take their eyes off his glowing-orange weirdness as he sat there in court like a bobble-headed troll doll."

Dana Coffield, city editor at the Denver Post, has fielded calls from readers upset about the paper giving Holmes attention, including a woman who called Tuesday to say she was considering canceling her subscription after 50 years.

Coffield remembers making an effort to focus on victims after the 1999 shootings at nearby Columbine High School when she was at the Rocky Mountain News. That was easier, she said, because the shooters were dead.

"We are working very hard to balance our coverage in the way we place the stories in the paper, making sure we don't place a photo of [Holmes] next to a victim's story," Coffield said. But, she added, "the reality is we just cannot not mention someone's name because it is offensive to the community."

Robert Thompson, a professor of popular culture at Syracuse University, said the effort not to identify the shooting suspect by name violates basic principles of journalism.

"A name attaches a sense of responsibility. I think that's important information," Thompson said.

At a minimum, Levin said, Jordan Ghawi and other victims' relatives may succeed in raising public awareness about how society views and describes mass killers.

Ghawi said the process had also raised his awareness about past tragedies and the importance of remembering the dead.

"You can probably ask people if they remember the shooters in Columbine, and they'd say Dylan Klebold andEric Harris,but I can't remember a single victim," he said. "I'm trying to learn that."
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 6849.story
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    norm wrote:
    Campaign mounts against mentioning Colorado shooting suspect's name
    By Molly Hennessy-Fiske, Los Angeles Times

July 25, 2012

AURORA, Colo. — Facing an audience of thousands gathered to remember victims of the deadly theater shooting here, Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper made a strategic choice: He didn't mention the suspect's name.

"In my house, we're just going to call him 'suspect A,'" Hickenlooper said.

The crowd burst into applause, cheering the governor's effort to join a growing campaign bent on redirecting public attention from the alleged shooter to those who were wounded and killed.

Some experts on mass shootings laud the effort and have even joined in, saying such killers — think Dylan Klebold at Columbine andSeung-Hui Cho at Virginia Tech — often hunger for notoriety.

"They want desperately to go down in infamy. Too often, we give them exactly what they crave," said Jack Levin, a sociology and criminology professor at Northeastern University who has tried not to name suspect James E. Holmesin interviews. Levin recalled interviewing Charles Manson, who called himself the most famous person in human history. "The sad fact is, that's only the slightest exaggeration."

The campaign against mentioning Holmes by name was started by the brother of one of the victims, 24-year-old Jessica Ghawi.

In the aftermath of the shooting, Jordan Ghawi, 26, of San Antonio became frustrated by how much of the news coverage focused on the 24-year-old Holmes.

"Let us remember the names of the victims and not the name of the coward who committed this act," Ghawi tweeted Friday afternoon.

The tweet went viral. When some Twitter followers noticed Holmes' name trending on Twitter — something Ghawi said bothered his mother — they started a campaign to promote Jessica's name instead.

On Sunday, Ghawi met with President Obama at an Aurora hospital, where the president was visiting victims and their families. Ghawi made his pitch to the president, and when Obama addressed the tragedy as he left the hospital, he did not say Holmes' name.

"It meant everything. This man is probably the loudest voice in the world." Ghawi said, "I'm just hoping we can hold the media to the same level of accountability."

Not long after the president's remarks, Hickenlooper made his reference to "suspect A" at the Sunday evening vigil.

"I love what the governor said," said Jacqueline Lader, who survived the shooting with her husband, Don, and a friend. "This individual did this for fame. Every mass shooter has done it for fame, and Gov. Hickenlooper said, 'I'm not going to say his name.'"

"He was a coward," her husband interjected. "He was studying to be a neuroscientist. There were many things he could have done. Instead, he took the easy way to make his name known."

Ghawi noticed that when Fox News host Mike Huckabee showed some documents concerning Holmes on his show, the name was blacked out.

Ghawi said CNN'sAnderson Cooper assured him he would try to minimize use of the suspect's name. On Monday, Cooper tweeted, "I have no intention of saying #AuroraShooting suspect's name tonight. Don't want to give him more attention than needed."

In a televised interview later Monday, Tom Teves, the father of shooting victim Alexander Teves, 24, challenged Cooper and other reporters to go a step further and ban the name the way some media refuse to show streakers at public events.

"I would like to see CNN come out with a policy that said, 'Moving forward, we're not going to talk about the gunman. What we're going to say is, a coward walked into a movie theater and started shooting people. He's apprehended. The coward's in jail,' " Teves said, suggesting people could boycott those who still mentioned Holmes by name.

Mary Muscari, an associate professor of forensic nursing who studied mass killings and teaches at Binghamton University in New York and Regis University in Denver, said she liked the idea of refusing to give suspects in mass killings the attention they crave. But she also said she understood why attention focuses on killers, because "people want to put a face to evil."

Levin noted that most mass killers target coworkers or classmates. Indiscriminate, public shootings are more rare, he said, about 16% of all mass shootings.

"The dramatic nature of the attack makes me believe he was trying to maximize not only the body count, but the publicity," Levin said of the Colorado gunman.

Mass killers often want to outdo previous killers. Cho, the Virginia Tech shooter, even paused during his rampage to mail photos of himself to NBC.

Keeping Holmes' name out of news accounts will not be easy.

Dave Perry, editor of the Aurora Sentinel, defended the paper's use of Holmes' name in a Tuesday column:

"There's a name for catastrophe in Aurora. It's James Eagan Holmes. It's not, 'The Suspect,' 'The Shooter,' 'Suspect A,' or 'He Who Shall Not Be Named,' as a growing number of people are insisting.... Every person who is clamoring to strike his photo from news coverage of the tragedy couldn't take their eyes off his glowing-orange weirdness as he sat there in court like a bobble-headed troll doll."

Dana Coffield, city editor at the Denver Post, has fielded calls from readers upset about the paper giving Holmes attention, including a woman who called Tuesday to say she was considering canceling her subscription after 50 years.

Coffield remembers making an effort to focus on victims after the 1999 shootings at nearby Columbine High School when she was at the Rocky Mountain News. That was easier, she said, because the shooters were dead.

"We are working very hard to balance our coverage in the way we place the stories in the paper, making sure we don't place a photo of [Holmes] next to a victim's story," Coffield said. But, she added, "the reality is we just cannot not mention someone's name because it is offensive to the community."

Robert Thompson, a professor of popular culture at Syracuse University, said the effort not to identify the shooting suspect by name violates basic principles of journalism.

"A name attaches a sense of responsibility. I think that's important information," Thompson said.

At a minimum, Levin said, Jordan Ghawi and other victims' relatives may succeed in raising public awareness about how society views and describes mass killers.

Ghawi said the process had also raised his awareness about past tragedies and the importance of remembering the dead.

"You can probably ask people if they remember the shooters in Columbine, and they'd say Dylan Klebold andEric Harris,but I can't remember a single victim," he said. "I'm trying to learn that."
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 6849.story
    yes..victims are the only DESERVE to be remembered..thanks Tim....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    saw this on Filter's facebook page :?

Soldiers Of Misfortune poster on his wall. Also the name of a Filter song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP6HDm-9Ec8

http://cheatersflorida.wordpress.com/20 ... lack-bloc/
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Fifi_IrelandFifi_Ireland Posts: 576
    Man CBS news is hilarious
    Just watching the report here in Ireland:
    Statement - Neighbours report seeing the suspect leaving his apt with rifle bags and targets

3 sentences later - police are trying to work out how the killer became so proficient with weapons. They are trying to establish whether he may have carried out target practice

Seriously? How do you put up with this type of reporting>?
    168dcfb.jpg
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Jason P wrote:
    The killer apparently sent a notebook with descriptions of what he was going to do to a professor ... and it sat in the mailroom for over a week ...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/25/exclusive-movie-massacre-suspect-laid-out-plans-in-package-mailed-to/

That's so fucking sad for the families.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

perhaps the killer sent his notes to the professor knowing, but mayhaps hoping they wouldnt be read in time???
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

perhaps the killer sent his notes to the professor knowing, but mayhaps hoping they wouldnt be read in time???
    perhaps the killer was just a nerd who played too many video games and watched too many movies and lost touch with reality -- and now has to pay for it. No crying for help now.
    bad campus police officer...BAD!

http://gma.yahoo.com/james-holmes-psych ... ories.html

The psychiatrist who treated suspected movie-theater shooter James Holmes made contact with a University of Colorado police officer to express concerns about her patient's behavior several weeks before Holmes' alleged rampage, sources told ABC News.

The sources did not know what the officer approached by Dr. Lynne Fenton did with the information she passed along. They said, however, that the officer was recently interviewed, with an attorney present, by the Aurora Police Department as a part of the ongoing investigation of the shooting.

Fenton would have had to have serious concerns to break confidentiality with her patient to reach out to the police officer or others, the sources said. Under Colorado law, a psychiatrist can legally breach a pledge of confidentiality with a patient if he or she becomes aware of a serious and imminent threat that their patient might cause harm to others. Psychiatrists can also breach confidentiality if a court has ordered them to do so...

...ABC news and affiliate KMGH-TV in Denver first reported Wednesday that Fenton had contacted other members of the university's threat-assessment team about her concerns. The university-wide, threat-assessment team reportedly never met to discuss Holmes after he announced his intent to withdraw from the University nearly six weeks before the July 20 shooting that left 12 dead and 58 injured. ...

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    bad campus police officer...BAD!

http://gma.yahoo.com/james-holmes-psych ... ories.html

The psychiatrist who treated suspected movie-theater shooter James Holmes made contact with a University of Colorado police officer to express concerns about her patient's behavior several weeks before Holmes' alleged rampage, sources told ABC News.

The sources did not know what the officer approached by Dr. Lynne Fenton did with the information she passed along. They said, however, that the officer was recently interviewed, with an attorney present, by the Aurora Police Department as a part of the ongoing investigation of the shooting.

Fenton would have had to have serious concerns to break confidentiality with her patient to reach out to the police officer or others, the sources said. Under Colorado law, a psychiatrist can legally breach a pledge of confidentiality with a patient if he or she becomes aware of a serious and imminent threat that their patient might cause harm to others. Psychiatrists can also breach confidentiality if a court has ordered them to do so...

...ABC news and affiliate KMGH-TV in Denver first reported Wednesday that Fenton had contacted other members of the university's threat-assessment team about her concerns. The university-wide, threat-assessment team reportedly never met to discuss Holmes after he announced his intent to withdraw from the University nearly six weeks before the July 20 shooting that left 12 dead and 58 injured. ...
    I'm really interested to hear more about this whole situation, particularly since I serve as part of a BIT team. If she didn't have info about a specific threat she would be able to express a general concern to the police if they're both on the BIT team without breaking confidentiality. She may not have had more detailed info to share. It's going to be important to find out what they both specifically knew and discussed

I'm really interested to hear more about this whole situation, particularly since I serve as part of a BIT team. If she didn't have info about a specific threat she would be able to express a general concern to the police if they're both on the BIT team without breaking confidentiality. She may not have had more detailed info to share. It's going to be important to find out what they both specifically knew and discussed[/quote]

So, even if she didn't know specific details, what happens when one breaks the doctor patient confidentiality agreement? What sort of process takes place? (if you can share that type of info). When she made the report, obviously she had to be pretty concerned.
    She had even contacted the threat assessment team in addition to campus police, I would think they would have still met even though he withdrew form the school since it seems that usually the ones who go on shooting rampages were recently terminated by their employer or had some sort of major changes in their life.

- Christopher McCandless
    I have a feeling the University of Colorado is going to get sued through the ying-yang. I don't think it's right, but litigious lawyers go after the sources that have the most money. In this case AMC Theaters and U of C.