12 killed, 50 injured in Colorado theater

Comments

• I don't even know what else to say except how f-cked up this is and devastating :(
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    And THIS is why I am so blessed to live in Australia....and so glad guns are banned.

Fuck that shit.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    And THIS is why I am so blessed to live in Australia....and so glad guns are banned.

Fuck that shit.

yeah i prefer my biggest concern at the cinema being whether or not to buy a choc top.

RIP
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    My parents took me to drive-in movies that would go on until 2 AM in the Summer. It was a great family memory, and when I got tired I fell asleep, they weren't forcing me to stay awake. I don't see what is with all this parenting judgement. It's a movie theatre.
    Me too, mookeywrench.

Bittersweet thoughts and a certain thankfulness on this summer night.
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    Read last night that Warner Brothers, out of respect for the victims, will not release box office figures for this weekend.

AMC chain of theaters now banning costumes at movie screenings. I can't blame them.

Thumbs up to news organization who are refusing to mention the name of the shooter. Last night, Anderson Cooper focused his efforts on the victims.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    Someone on my facebook shared a link that tries to make this look like an inside job by obama to pass gun control.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    ComeToTX wrote:
    Babies sleep. I'm more surprised about 6 year olds.

sure babies sleep, but i wouldn't consider the batman movies the most quiet and peaceful two and a half hours to get some shut eye. the baby is going to be awake, cranky and disturb everyone around them. it's irresponsible and selfish. get a baby sitter or go catch the half price matinee the next day.

in the past two months i was a one midnight showing loaded with kids and one 11:00 showing, loaded with kids. the 11:00 showing was for ted. what parent brings their kids to see that movie?? i wouldn't bring a 14 year old to that let alone a four year old.

the drive in analogy doesn't hold up. you are in a car, isolated from other people around you who are trying to enjoy the movie. if the kid acts up, very little chance you are going to disturb the person in the car next to you.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    just saw an interview with a survivor from his hospital bed, crazy :shock:

it took police 19 hours to notify parents if their kids were alive or not. i couldn't imagine the anguish.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    We have had rent a cops in our theatre by us as long as 12 years ago when my
    kids went as teens. Ours had to be home by midnight though, much to their chagrin.
    In this case not sure if it would have helped. The cop would have been the first to
    get shot I'm sure, well executed plan this man had.

I see others are questioning as I myself did....
    said more than once to myself why are small children going to see a violent movie
    in the middle of the night? In my opinion that is adult time at an adult activity.

If this one is anything like the last Batman it was not for small kids.
    Let children be children, their eyes should not see what adults do,
    it is processed very differently.

Choices made out of convenience for the parent can compromise good common sense,
    allowing one's wants or needs to outweigh what is best for the child.

Children are a gift they can make us our best or show our worst.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Someone on my facebook shared a link that tries to make this look like an inside job by obama to pass gun control.

Slaves can not own guns we all know that! ;)

there is pretty much always a grain of truth in everything and an agenda hidden
    in the sands of time ...
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    rival. wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:
    Babies sleep. I'm more surprised about 6 year olds.

sure babies sleep, but i wouldn't consider the batman movies the most quiet and peaceful two and a half hours to get some shut eye. the baby is going to be awake, cranky and disturb everyone around them. it's irresponsible and selfish. get a baby sitter or go catch the half price matinee the next day.

in the past two months i was a one midnight showing loaded with kids and one 11:00 showing, loaded with kids. the 11:00 showing was for ted. what parent brings their kids to see that movie?? i wouldn't bring a 14 year old to that let alone a four year old.

the drive in analogy doesn't hold up. you are in a car, isolated from other people around you who are trying to enjoy the movie. if the kid acts up, very little chance you are going to disturb the person in the car next to you.

exactly. there is bad parenting and there is utter stupidity. the fact that there were babies and kids as young as 6 years old at the midnight showing of a movie displays both of these traits.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    There was a 4 month old baby at the movie. Don't tell me that these kid parents dont need to get their shit together. 4 months old!
    A movie that runs from midnight to 3 fucking am in the morning people!!
    Don't tell individuals that they are not allowed to question parental decisions in a case like this. Even if nothing happened, I would be disgusted if I saw that in the theater.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    One of my first reactions when I heard a 4 month old baby had been shot was "what was a 4 month old doing at a midnight movie?" Then I realized that question really has no place in the conversation about the tragedy. The baby wasn't shot because of questionable parenting. The baby was shot because James Holmes apparently planned to do this for at least a couple of months. That's solely where the responsibility lies. These parents are no more responsible than the parents who dropped their kids at day care the day Timothy McVeigh decided to blow up a building. Questionable judgment? For sure. Responsible for their kid getting shot? No fucking way.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    But who gives a fuck why they were there? Why is it anyone's business to pass judgement of parents who are going through an absolute senseless tragedy. The young couple that was on Piers Morgan last night had many pictures of their young daughter dressed up like Batman. They were fucking wrecked and they all came out alive. Personally, if I had kids that age, I wouldn't allow them to see Batman nor would I take them to a movie at midnight, but without knowing the circumstances around their situation, it's no ones fucking business.

It's a fucking joke that the last 3 pages of this thread have been dominated by parenting conversation. It goes to show the fucking problems and priorities in this country. A severely mentally ill person was able to buy 4 guns (including an assault rifle that has exactly one purpose), full body armor, 6,000 fucking rounds of ammunition, was able to create synthetic napalm among many other explosive devices and people are worried about the fucking parents who had a kid there who's lives will never be the fucking same.

It's infuriating.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,217
    One of my first reactions when I heard a 4 month old baby had been shot was "what was a 4 month old doing at a midnight movie?" Then I realized that question really has no place in the conversation about the tragedy. The baby wasn't shot because of questionable parenting. The baby was shot because James Holmes apparently planned to do this for at least a couple of months. That's solely where the responsibility lies. These parents are no more responsible than the parents who dropped their kids at day care the day Timothy McVeigh decided to blow up a building. Questionable judgment? For sure. Responsible for their kid getting shot? No fucking way.

Totally agree ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

Exactly
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    But who gives a fuck why they were there? Why is it anyone's business to pass judgement of parents who are going through an absolute senseless tragedy. The young couple that was on Piers Morgan last night had many pictures of their young daughter dressed up like Batman. They were fucking wrecked and they all came out alive. Personally, if I had kids that age, I wouldn't allow them to see Batman nor would I take them to a movie at midnight, but without knowing the circumstances around their situation, it's no ones fucking business.

It's a fucking joke that the last 3 pages of this thread have been dominated by parenting conversation. It goes to show the fucking problems and priorities in this country. A severely mentally ill person was able to buy 4 guns (including an assault rifle that has exactly one purpose), full body armor, 6,000 fucking rounds of ammunition, was able to create synthetic napalm among many other explosive devices and people are worried about the fucking parents who had a kid there who's lives will never be the fucking same.

It's infuriating.

And just to add, until we start concentrating on the real issues here, the issues above, these god damn massacres are going to continue.
    I'm pretty sure that no one is saying that the baby deserved to be shot because it was brought to a late night movie.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

It's infuriating.
    That interview was heartbreaking. Their trauma was obvious. I am sure they will second guess themselves for a long long time.

I agree. I'm infuriated that so much focus is being put on their parenting rather than on the fact that somebody killed 12 people and shot dozens more. Again, I understand wanting to distance ourselves from the victims as much as possible to believe that this would never happen to us, but it's a false sense of security. Let's keep the focus where it belongs.

At the very least Assault rifles should be outlawed i mean that's the minimum that we as a civil society should expect to that's a no brainer ......
    I'm pretty sure that no one is saying that the baby deserved to be shot because it was brought to a late night movie.

And I am pretty sure you are completely missing the point.
    edited July 2012
    so then let's keep the focus off the fact that the baby was there. that conversation can be had in a different thread about parenting or movie admissions, etc. I could be wrong, but I thought the focus in this thread was on the actual tragedy.
    Post edited by comebackgirl on

At the very least Assault rifles should be outlawed i mean that's the minimum that we as a civil society should expect to that's a no brainer ......
    Agreed. As well as all of this tactical body armor.

I dont get why someone would need a whole outfit of this stuff. Are the Russians finally going to invade us?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

And I am pretty sure you are completely missing the point.
    You would be dead wrong.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

It's infuriating.
    That interview was heartbreaking. Their trauma was obvious. I am sure they will second guess themselves for a long long time.

I agree. I'm infuriated that so much focus is being put on their parenting rather than on the fact that somebody killed 12 people and shot dozens more. Again, I understand wanting to distance ourselves from the victims as much as possible to believe that this would never happen to us, but it's a false sense of security. Let's keep the focus where it belongs.

I had a really tough time with that interview. That guy was an absolute mess.

Agreed completely.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

It's infuriating.

I had a really tough time with that interview. That guy was an absolute mess.

Agreed completely.
    His terror was palpable. In the moment he really thought his kids would die or they would be orphaned. He didn't think any of them would get out of there alive, but fortunately they all did. Those parents are victims too and I think victim blaming really has no place here. I wish them lots of healing. They will likely be impacted by this for a long time.

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i made the mistake of turning on the news this morning...a reporter told the story of a 14 year old boy who ran from the theater when the shooting started...he then realized his parents were still inside...so he went back in to find his dad dragging his shot mother...so the boy went and found another victim and pulled her out

no 14 year old should have to experience this

ever
    His terror was palpable. In the moment he really thought his kids would die or they would be orphaned. He didn't think any of them would get out of there alive, but fortunately they all did. Those parents are victims too and I think victim blaming really has no place here. I wish them lots of healing. They will likely be impacted by this for a long time.

He was absolutely horrified, and it was absolutely brutal to listen to him recount the events, especially when he was talking about them getting separated and like you said, worried that his son wouldn't have a dad or that his son would die. I do too. I can't see them ever taking the kids to a move ever again. I wouldn't be able to ever sit in a theater again.
    norm wrote:
    i made the mistake of turning on the news this morning...a reporter told the story of a 14 year old boy who ran from the theater when the shooting started...he then realized his parents were still inside...so he went back in to find his dad dragging his shot mother...so the boy went and found another victim and pulled her out

ever

Yeah i haven't watched any today at all and i think of my 15yr old girl and i can't imagine anything like this happening to her at all or having to do that at a movie theater , what the fuck is wrong with our country ..
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    norm wrote:

ever
    wow. is the mom alive? that boy is very brave
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce