12 killed, 50 injured in Colorado theater

Comments

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,435
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Who gives a shit why they were there? They were there and they are dead, simple as that. I don't get who anyone is to judge anyone else's parenting in a situation like this. This could have happened at a noon showing today. Who gives a fuck why they were there?

Maybe the kid was the biggest Batman fan in the world and this was his birthday present. None of you know anything about the situation.

Stop making assumptions. Kids are dead, murdered by a sick fuck, and people are worried why they were at a midnight showing of a movie in the suburbs. There are a shit load of bigger issues than what a 9 year old was doing out at that time.
    It didnt happen at noon...
    It happened at midight...

I am allowed to ask why there are 6 and 9 year olds at a midnight movie.

But who gives a fuck? Why does it matter? You know nothing about the situation or why they were there. Maybe it was a fucking birthday present.

How about the real issues. How did his mental illness go unoticed? How was he armed like he was on the SWAT team?
    And soon we will find out the answers to all those questions.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,217
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Who gives a shit why they were there? They were there and they are dead, simple as that. I don't get who anyone is to judge anyone else's parenting in a situation like this. This could have happened at a noon showing today. Who gives a fuck why they were there?

Maybe the kid was the biggest Batman fan in the world and this was his birthday present. None of you know anything about the situation.

Stop making assumptions. Kids are dead, murdered by a sick fuck, and people are worried why they were at a midnight showing of a movie in the suburbs. There are a shit load of bigger issues than what a 9 year old was doing out at that time.

Totally agree the problem lies within our Gun laws they have to be overhauled , it's the laws that have to be blamed ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    very sad.............
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

It didnt happen at noon...
    It happened at midnight...

I am allowed to ask why there are 6 and 9 year olds at a midnight movie.

Let's be real fair here -- i am guessing being at a movie theater (until last night) was as safe as being at home in bed. The likelihood of someone killing you while watching a freaking batman movie was (until last night) probably even less than someone killing you in your sleep.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Totally agree the problem lies within our Gun laws they have to be overhauled , it's the laws that have to be blamed ...
    1st and foremost...
    The problem lies within the fucking lunatic who decided to go on a fucking rampage and KILL INNOCENT people...

Put all the gun laws you want in to place....

This asshole would have still found a way to get his guns...

Right?

I agree something needs to be done with the gun laws/problems in this country of ours. Its been pretty fucking obvious for a long time now.

But the pieces of shit lunatics, will still find a way to get their weapons. Right?
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    I immediately thought of the victims and everyone that was there. It could have happened anywhere to anyone. I was at a midnight screening at our local theater. so sad Got teary eyed just reading it. Prayers and thoughts to the families.

Flashbacks of Columbine :(

This may sound odd but I also thought of the movie "Scream 2" at the very beginning of the movie they are watching "Stab" and just about everyone is dressed up. People are dressed up as Ghostface and one of them starts stabbing people in the audience.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Just incredibly sad. I hardly know what to say.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Agreed, but nothing is going to change and that's sad. Shit, Gabby Giffords was shot in the head at point blank range and nothing changed. When one of their own are shot and nothing changes, you know nothing is going to.
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    How did his mental illness go unoticed?

Apparently it didn't...

A San Diego woman identifying herself as James Holmes's mother spoke briefly with ABC News this morning.

She had awoken unaware of the news of the shooting and had not been contacted by authorities. She immediately expressed concern that her son may have been involved.

"You have the right person," she said.

"I need to call the police," she added. "I need to fly out to Colorado."
    Nice shirt.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    sad and angry and deeply confused

my thoughts go to everyone in aurora
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Obviously this is an awful tragedy. When you see innocent children killed by some fucking nutcase, you think of ways that it could have been prevented. That's the only reason I said anything about why young children were out seeing a movie in the middle of the night.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Apparently it didn't...

A San Diego woman identifying herself as James Holmes's mother spoke briefly with ABC News this morning.

She had awoken unaware of the news of the shooting and had not been contacted by authorities. She immediately expressed concern that her son may have been involved.

She instantly new her son was probably involved...
    She probably realized for years there was something wrong with this asshole....
    She probably did nothing to stop this..

Sounds like bad parenting.
    But who am I to judge?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Apparently it didn't...

But who am I to judge?

Slightly different situations....but I would still hold off on judgement. Lots of probablys in there.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i agree with what you're saying about the children, speedy but it is the middle of summer and this is a batman movie so i'd cut those parents a little slack

and frankly, one would think a movie theater would be a pretty safe place to be on a thursday in july...guess not
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    This is a relatively isolated incident. Now you're going to get the large media coverage, and act like it happens everyday, which is far from the case.

This is the rare case of someone snapping, and doing so in a horrific manner. There is no preparation. If a sick individual wants to extract harm on a large amount of people, they will find a way regardless of gun laws, security, etc.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Apparently it didn't...

wtf...unreal....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635

But who am I to judge?

The apathy in today's society is mind boggling. Until something horrible happens.
    And then the blame game begins. How about addressing the issues before the worst happens?

Or at least trying, just a little.
    Nice shirt.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    as for the whole conversation..society need to focus how to limit down those fuckin lunitics...and not to find guns easily..
    no matter what time was,or where..or who was there..
    this type of people will shoot people in the morning ,in the evening,in the night,to a theater,to a park,to a mall,to a school..
    THEY need to STOP...

not parents need to stop taking thier kids to movies,to school,to parks..

society need to find the way...to STOP THOSE FUCKIN CRAZY PIECE OF SHITS..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    as for the whole conversation..society need to focus how to limit down those fuckin lunitics...and not to find guns easily..
    this type of people will shoot people in the morning ,in the evening,in the night,to a theater,to a park,to a mall,to a school..
    THEY need to STOP...

Exactly
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    so very sad... prayers to the families. :cry:
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    At least the guy is in custody and didn't get killed or kill himself in the process. Not that I would really care if we has dead, but you can only second-guess motives with a corpse. Curious as to what this guy has to say. What can we learn from someone like this and better prevent a similar act when the warning signs are present? After we've figured out what we can, then feed him to my bear.
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    THEY need to STOP...

You make much more sense that most of my english native speaking countrymen.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    This is a relatively isolated incident. Now you're going to get the large media coverage, and act like it happens everyday, which is far from the case.

This is the rare case of someone snapping, and doing so in a horrific manner. There is no preparation. If a sick individual wants to extract harm on a large amount of people, they will find a way regardless of gun laws, security, etc.
    Yup.
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Apparently he recently dropped out from medical school and his only brush with the law had been a speeding ticket. I wonder what the rest of the story is given his mother's reaction. We try to predict and prevent things like this, try to control peoples' behavior, but ultimately we can't. Victim blaming gives us a bigger sense of safety - thinking this would never happen to my kid because I would never take them to a midnight movie. The reality is you can do everything right and this can still happen, like to all the kids whose parents sent them to school only to have them killed in a school shooting. The idea that it can happen to any of us and that we can't ultimately prevent or control it is terrifying, but that's the reality. We try to distance ourselves from the victims as much as possible to give us a larger sense of control (i.e I don't see comic book movies, I'd never go to a midnight movie, etc). The blame lies with the shooter. The victims and their families need our compassion and empathy.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Every time one of these tragedies happens I find myself thinking about what drove this person to do this? What could possibly be going on in a person's life and in their mind to make them want to do something like this? This guy could be anyone. How many people like this do we all know and not realize it, how many of them are so very close to doing something like this? How can we recognize it and do something to help them.

Also, he apparently has at least a mother, how will she deal with it? His friends and family have to be thinking what could I have done to help?

I do think of all of the victims and their families and the huge tragedy they now face, and I also consider that the person that did it is also a victim in a way.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I think people are taking the statement by the mother wrong. She says "you have the right person". I believe that was her answer to the reporter asking if SHE was the right person, trying to identifiy her and make sure they were talking to who they thought they were. I don't think you can read anything into the brief quotes from her, it's completely out of context. We really know nothing at this point about it.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305

But who am I to judge?
    It's possible his family tried to get help for him. Mental illness is complicated, easily mis/undiagnosed. He may have been treated and gone off his treatment. Who knows at this point? I'm not ready to blame his family. They will probably be vilified for his actions.

As Snakeduck said, I'm glad he was apprehended and maybe we can at least learn something about him that will give insight to future situations. It seems like so often there's an explosion of interest at the start, then everybody retreats and we don't know anything more.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,217
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

1st and foremost...
    The problem lies within the fucking lunatic who decided to go on a fucking rampage and KILL INNOCENT people...

Put all the gun laws you want in to place....

This asshole would have still found a way to get his guns...

Right?

I agree something needs to be done with the gun laws/problems in this country of ours. Its been pretty fucking obvious for a long time now.

But the pieces of shit lunatics, will still find a way to get their weapons. Right?

Yeah there has to be a way to make it harder for people to purchase assault weapons and it's sad but i have to agree the lunatics will still find a way to murder multiple people , i'm just sick of allways reading about these kinds of heinuos crimes ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Fire official: Apartment is "extensively booby trapped" with liter-sized bottles of liquids connected by wires. GB #theatershooting
  • riotgrlriotgrl Posts: 1,895
    It strikes me as somewhat crazy that our society is NOT safe enough for young children to be at a movie with their parents at midnight. We continue to (supposedly) emphasize security in this country and yet we are not safe and we are not secure. While I don't like guns, this is not a gun problem, this is a society problem. Our American "high" standard of living seems to revolve around big houses and expensive cars and material possessions. Why isn't our higher standard of living one in which the collective security of our people is the number one priority?
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE